Too many frog-people

Too many frog-people

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

Is anyone else bummed that there is so much extra lore and information on ADDITIONAL Hylek tribes instead of a new, exciting race that would make sense in the lore? Yes, culturally and psychologically they’re different from the Vanilla Hylek, but still… Why did you choose to bring frogs, not once but TWICE…..?

You had the ability to add a lot of new, interesting races. Stick-insect like races, or other insect-based races. Perhaps a humanoid version of Wind riders, or an arachnoid race. WHAT EVER. Anything other than Hylek.

Truly, frogs are boring when you compare the possibility of what you could’ve done otherwise. There is NOTHING exciting about frogs.

“Oh hey Bert, did you hear about the new Guild Wars 2 expansion?”
“kitten ed if I didn’t, Bort! I heard some cool new frog people will be introduced!”
“You mean like the Hylek?”
“Oh no, silly, these are NEW! One tribe is high as f*** and the other one seems like that bully you had in middle school!
“You can be such an kitten sometimes Bert.”

(edited by Derigar.7810)

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Hylek and variations are already part of the world while the things you bring up are unheard of in GW lore, so where have they been till now?

Frogs are not boring, they are apparently boring for you. That is a matter of personal taste and opinion. I could argue insect based races have been overused a lot in computer games. There is nothing inherently boring in “frogs”, it completely depends on how Anet makes them interesting. Do I have any faith in their writing? Not a lot, but that is a completely different story…

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

If I may butt in, I think OP is saying that another (2) new race(s) would have been better and more appealing then 2 variations of a race we already have.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The bad new is, for the next April Fools ANet is going to turn us all into frogs. And not turn us back.

The good new is, we get mounts. Giant beetles.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Bat people would have been great.

The table is a fable.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I like the treefrog base. Though I must admit I wanted Monkey people. We do have the Monkey King Tonic and Mini so a base model is there to use. Being in a jungle, I thought it would be a perfect time to bring them into the game.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I find many frogs. I hope to find other jungles elements, new familliers, an incredible bio-diversity.

• Zintl fanatics and their beetles do not use a proper mount system but instead share animations and a single health pool.
# Asura because I’m worth it!

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I was really disappointed that this x-pac wasn’t going to feature the Tengu in some fashion. That is the race that A-net should focus on bringing in a lot of lore for, cause the Tengu are awesome.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Too many frog-people

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Well there is also the Exalted (race?) too, that we still don’t have info on (though its suspected that they’re the ones in the gold city in the trailer).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Is anyone else bummed that there is so much lore and information on these frog people?

Nope, I have real-life concerns that far outweigh the pettiness of being bothered by a video game not going in the direction that I want it to. I strongly recommend you stop giving a kitten about it and just enjoy it for what it is, i.e. exactly what the developers want it to be.

For instance, why don’t you try to appreciate the dichotomy between the ways the Itzel and the Nuhoch approach life? There’s actually a lot you can glean from their worldviews that can be applied to your life, if you even bother to look.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

Is anyone else bummed that there is so much lore and information on these frog people?

Nope, I have real-life concerns that far outweigh the pettiness of being bothered by a video game not going in the direction that I want it to. I strongly recommend you stop giving a kitten about it and just enjoy it for what it is, i.e. exactly what the developers want it to be.

For instance, why don’t you try to appreciate the dichotomy between the ways the Itzel and the Nuhoch approach life? There’s actually a lot you can glean from their worldviews that can be applied to your life, if you even bother to look.

Completely missing the thread, well done!

If I may butt in, I think OP is saying that another (2) new race(s) would have been better and more appealing then 2 variations of a race we already have.

You get my drift. Variations of existing races aren’t that original, as much as you try to give them “different cultures and worlds views” or what ever. It’s just… not as appealing like Monkey people as another poster said.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Is anyone else bummed that there is so much extra lore and information on ADDITIONAL Hylek tribes instead of a new, exciting race that would make sense in the lore? Yes, culturally and psychologically they’re different from the Vanilla Hylek, but still… Why did you choose to bring frogs, not once but TWICE…..?

You had the ability to add a lot of new, interesting races. Stick-insect like races, or other insect-based races. Perhaps a humanoid version of Wind riders, or an arachnoid race. WHAT EVER. Anything other than Hylek.

Truly, frogs are boring when you compare the possibility of what you could’ve done otherwise. There is NOTHING exciting about frogs.

“Oh hey Bert, did you hear about the new Guild Wars 2 expansion?”
“kitten ed if I didn’t, Bort! I heard some cool new frog people will be introduced!”
“You mean like the Hylek?”
“Oh no, silly, these are NEW! One tribe is high as f*** and the other one seems like that bully you had in middle school!
“You can be such an kitten sometimes Bert.”

Like what?

Tengu (tangu?) Are secluded in a walled city,
We already have ogre’s, and snake people.
The newest race we haven’t seen are the Mursaat ( I’m assuming they are mursaat)

But as was noted, what could be brought into this game that lore wise make sense?
We are getting new enemies, maybe dinosaurs?

My opinion though, I don’t really care. I am most likely going to power game through the story( Actually Binge play through is more accurate as I enjoy this story), power my way through masteries ( I hate grinding so the faster this gets done the better), then WvW.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

did some deep data mining, but the results are well worth it. found image of the new playable frog races

Attachments:

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I like the two new frog races. They’re believable for the world and environment. While it’s not impossible for a completely new race to show up, unlike anything any inhabitant of known Tyria has seen before, it’s more likely that variants on known life forms will exist.

Plus I don’t think they’re all that’s coming. We have the golden city race, those exploding mushroom podling things (likely creatures, not sentient with a culture, but we’ll see), dinosaurs, new Mordrem variants … The frogs are what we encounter at the edges in our first forays. It makes sense they’d share some features with what we already know; the regions weren’t always separated by harsh desert.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Greeeat. Even more useless frogs to murder. …goody.

I hated the hylek anyway, and having two new versions that are unsubtlely polar opposites is fairly high-school level writing that carries a somewhat obvious “good” and “evil” faction theme.

I was actively ticked off by that announcement being considered more important than even a glimpse of the “upcoming” trait fix.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

If you all are THIS troubled by the game not being exactly how YOU want it to be, it’s time to look into a career as a game designer. If you don’t want to go that route then you’re gonna have to learn to appreciate things made by other people.

Do ya’ll get this upset at everything when you go shoe shopping and can’t find the perfect shoes?

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Yay jump puzzles, my favourite…

And poison everywhere- not a problem for your typical warrior (heal sig, what poison?) or guardian, but a real problem for classes with less healing and less passive condi wipes.

Sounds completely wonderful and another reason to lock away my squishies and just play ‘spam1’

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

They aren’t good and evil as described, just sunny and grumpy.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Am I missing something here? Has Anet said these new Hylek are the only new races in HoT? I don’t remember seeing that mentioned anywhere, does anyone have a link?

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well there is also the Exalted (race?) too, that we still don’t have info on (though its suspected that they’re the ones in the gold city in the trailer).

Could also be other minor races. ANet has been rather silent so far in terms of the lore.

Am I missing something here? Has Anet said these new Hylek are the only new races in HoT? I don’t remember seeing that mentioned anywhere, does anyone have a link?

No but these are the official forums, we tend to veer into wild speculation, overblown reactions and an amazing ability to forget all of that rather quickly.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I personally would have loved it, if the Nuhoch would’t be Bullforg Hyleks.

I can understand what the OP wants to express with this thread.
The Itzel are all nice, but personally 1 new Hylek Tribe being introduced would have been enough, just another one and addign on top all of that also the already known Hylek Tribe to come into a place that insn’t their homeland, just to forcefully convict the other tribes to follow their “fanatism” of Zintl is basically something, where i personally drawed also the line and say, thats way too much frogs, making it seem, that this jungle seems to consist out of nothing than modrem and various tons of frogs plus a single spot that seems to be guarded by another new ally, those “Exalted” which look like either being some new type of Seers or Mursaat, thats unclear so far…

However, these fanatic Zintl Hylek already break my immersion from what I saw in the Hylek and learned about them when I chose to learn more about Hylek with my human main character#s personal story, what makes me dislike the tyrian hylek now already so much, that I wish I could reset that part of my personal story and choose an other inferior race like the Skritt to learn more about them instead, because I hate religous fanatics and the tyrian hylek we see in tyria are nothing like that what Anet makes that tribe to look like now for HoT just to force upon HoT some antagonistic frogs also too, where everyone in the jungle will have already more than enough to do to defend themself from mordremoth and his minions there !!

I think it would be alot better, if ANet would reiterate the Nuhoch (before its too late) into some kind of different jungle race and remove this obsolete zintl antagonistic stuff and instead replace the zitl with some completely new and different antagonistic thign that lives in the jungle, that is just antagonistic to everyone and everything, including the modrem due to not making any differences between friend and foe similar to modrem, so that there is some kind of triangle betwee us/itzel, the modrem and that third side that lives in the jungle, that fights agaisnt us as like also against the mordrem anytime at sight, so that they are a danger for both sides (which we could abuse cleverly for our advantage, or modremoth also too)

if the Itzel would be the friendly Jungle Frog Race, while the Nuhoch for example would be a friendly, but different mooded for example “Jungle Lizard Race”, that I would find alot more interestign and compelling, than the Nohich beign just another similar jungle frog race, that is just more bully looking and pessimistic instead of being happy go lucky.

Something like this would be so fitting for HoT:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/138/2/6/Aphashia__Lizardman_Warrior_by_Shinsen.jpg

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Taijan.7592

Taijan.7592

Any race brought in to HoT should fit in with the lore, not random insect people. Hylek fit in and have been chilling in Maguuma for a while. If Anet starts messing with the lore, GW1 fans like myself will be unhappy.

There are still some new avenues they could go down though, looking back on the enemies and allies encountered in GW1. We’ve already seen centaurs in Maguuma, there could be more. I know that’s not anything new, but it’d be cool to see more peaceful centaurs. The Tarnished Coast Tengu (Quetzal) have already been explained away.

The big one we’re missing are the simians, the monkey people. They were actually in the tarnished coast which is mostly explored now, but they could have migrated due to the asuras moving in and the sylvari popping up. It seems that’s what happened to the dinos, so why not the simians?

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I echo the positive notes about keeping Hylek as the main races here. In fact I’m really glad we’re not getting more races.

- new races generally mean less time gets spent on them because of the work involved in fleshing them out. There are exisitng races we still need more lore info on before we can think about all new species.
Krait are one particular I’d like to see more of down the line. What we got from the Nightmare Tower was fascinating to me

- It’s more realistic to have alternative races within species. To have new races of Hylek really fleshes them out and we end up with less of the D&D approach of sticking in any old species of creature just for variety’s sake. This the Living World showing how evolution and natural selection has taken place in a game world, which is an interesting concept.

- Hylek were already part of the maguuma lore as previously stated

I can understand why people want to see more variety, but I think this direction fits the game much better.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I like frog people. Hylek are among my favorite Guild Wars races.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I like frog people. Hylek are among my favorite Guild Wars races.

Same. I think they’re interesting, I went with them in my personal story. I like their VAs, and they tend to have great dialogue.

“Who saved the frogs? I saved the frogs!”

Too many frog-people

Posted by: bigbobpataki.4796

bigbobpataki.4796

At first I was skeptical but so far I like the direction they’re taking with the new hylek. They flesh out the lore and environment of maguuma better than some other race that sides with us because dragons are bad, and are certainly better than nothing at all. I also like how they’re going to provide some “old-new world” type interactions with the hylek we currently know about.

If you don’t like them thats fine, we know at least that the exalted will be another npc race, and there is probably another 1 or 2 we do not know about since it sounds like the two hylek will be confined to the area around the zone we currently know about. Admittedly that last bit is speculation but I hope (and think) that it goes in that direction.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Frogs are love, frogs are life.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Shala.8352

Shala.8352

kill thos frogs

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

We are all bat people.

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

We are all bat people.

I think you got that entirely wrong!

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Just wait til you have been playing in the jungle and only the jungle for 2 months or so. It’s gonna get old really quick. I still contend HoT will not feel like an x-pac. It’s one climate type. Frogs won’t even matter after 2 months. You will be dying to visit Frostgorge Sound again just to get a change of scenery.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Too many frog-people

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Just wait til you have been playing in the jungle and only the jungle for 2 months or so. It’s gonna get old really quick. I still contend HoT will not feel like an x-pac. It’s one climate type. Frogs won’t even matter after 2 months. You will be dying to visit Frostgorge Sound again just to get a change of scenery.

I am reserving my final judgement on that. My knee-jerk reaction is to agree and speculate that there will be only 2-3 zones at most. Coupled with the fact that they have stopped producing LS in order to work on the expansion leads me to feel that the x-pac is basically LS Season 3.

I may be pleasantly surprised though. If they really flesh out those zones and couple them with world wide changes that lead into S3 right away I will be impressed.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur