Why are people so afraid of raiding?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Tahlie.4259

Tahlie.4259

So, I played GW2 when it first came out, and had a lot of fun with it — at first. Fractals rolled around, and they were fun, but you can only do the same thing so many times before it gets boring. So, I quit at about the beginning of Living Story season 1.

Flash forward a few years, and here I started playing again ~3 weeks ago. When I heard about new fractals, a raid, and all kinds of challenging content, I just had to come back! So, now I have an 80 Engineer and Elementalist (both fully geared out), I’ve been raiding in MMOs for upwards of 12 years, and all that — yet, to date, I’ve not even set foot inside the raid.

I’ve been listing myself in LFG for a week and a half or so, I’ve been asking around in chat, and so on. But, there’s just no one pugging a raid, or filling a spot, or any of that. And no guilds are recruiting that actually go into the raid.

So, what exactly is the issue? Is the raid in GW2 just one of the hardest in the genre or something, or are people just being silly?

Raiding was the main reason I came back to the game. : / And it doesn’t seem like I’ll even set foot in the raid any time soon.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

One word:

Elitism.

And this is why the game, which prospered so much at launch, didn’t feature any kind of “elite” or arbitrarily “difficult” content. And also part of why, HoT, an expansion featured as pleasing the “hardcore” crowd has failed in the eyes of a bulk majority of players when looking at sheer numbers.

Strictly speaking, not many people care. And those that do are likely too exclusive to not care about anyone not involved in their personal affairs.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Don’t have the skill or reflexes. Don’t have the desire to sit through the necessary hours per attempt to try it.

Edit: from threads on the forum where people gave their age, a lot of people who play this game may well be older. They may not have the desire to raid or the time to for it if they do.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Not afraid of raids, but raiders.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Organizing a 10 person team. In 7800 hours I haven’t met 9 other people who are regularly in the same time zone and have the same availability as I on a regular basis.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You can not enjoy raiding without being afraid of it. I can raid. I don’t enjoy raiding.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Your best bet, OP, would be to post in the Dungeons/Fractals/Raids subforum that you are looking for a guild that wants another raider. Post your profession, availability and region. You might get lucky. Relying on PuG’s when your experience with them so far has been “nothing going on,” is not going to work out well.

Good luck.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

I’m not afraid of raiding, but after spending too much time trying to assemble a group that just involves people leaving whenever someone else joins, it’s just not enjoyable enough to justify the time.

Dungeons were far better in that I could actually just solo or practice the encounters on my own while I waited for people to join, the fact that you can’t list squads under LFG is also an issue, as it means that once you go over 5 people, at least one person needs to leave the squad, at which point, chances are that they’ll be doing nothing other than looking for people, which isn’t an enjoyable time.

TLDR: Not enough fun to justify the necessary time spent preparing to have fun

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

“raids” in general in the MMO world have a long-standing bad reputation (a lot of it deserved), and so bringing raids to GW2 carries a lot of baggage.

Also, a lot of people specifically liked this game because it avoided the “raid or get out” mentality of many big-name MMOs.

Posted by: Mcfrumpy.9385

Mcfrumpy.9385

“raids” in general in the MMO world have a long-standing bad reputation (a lot of it deserved), and so bringing raids to GW2 carries a lot of baggage.

Also, a lot of people specifically liked this game because it avoided the “raid or get out” mentality of many big-name MMOs.

Because Hard things are hard.

Hyper Cutter is pretty spot on about the about people liking this game because there are no raids. I really miss the Guild Wars 1 Underworld and Fissure of Woe.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

there are a lot of raid guilds these days…for the only purpose of raiding

however, all those raid guilds need “raid leaders” and is hard to fill
furthermore, the leader of those raids guilds had to go extra mile to arrange people to different teams. people who might not keep their promise to participate on timely and regularly fashion. theres a lot of work here so you can imagine the number of people wanting to fill that role. lastly, there are a lot of people that think way too highly of themselves and look down on some raid guilds. be unappreciative and such…. so, all in all, rarely get any thing done.

to put it simple, the community is becoming more and more unfriendly for guilds to function.

pug LFG will be in even worse situation

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

elitism, kitten-retentive players who make the game very unenjoyable, I really really dislike forced team content – especially given the mentality of the “Pro” players.
I love playing with roamers, much more down to earth, realistic, don’t whine and are elite by nature without having to impose their preferred game play on anyone else. Then the whole standing around forever while they judge anyone that wants to join.

I’m really disappointed that they made sab a suggested 5 man team, fortunately i was having fun solo with it, wish it was more open world….but i avoid anything that I have to go in with a pre-set team …I hate hate ….Hate ( extra hate added for good measure ) that mode of game play.

Ironically enough though, i do love people, just not those types.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Vayne.8563

Because Hard things are hard.

Hyper Cutter is pretty spot on about the about people liking this game because there are no raids. I really miss the Guild Wars 1 Underworld and Fissure of Woe.

I wouldn’t mind something like GW 1 Underworld or FoW but those are NOT raids. They were expansive zones where bosses didn’t have an enrage timer. You could go in, take your time, do the quests, and have a good time with friends.

The artificial difficult involved with rage timers is what I object too. I didnt’ need to use special builds to run UW or FoW with my friends if I wasnt’ speed running. Here you have to use the right guys, playing together with the right builds, very often using the right food. It’s not solving a problem, so much as doing something over and over again until you get it right. That’s okay for people who enjoy that but it doesn’t hold my interest.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s not that i am afraid of raids. I just strongly dislike the gameplay they promote. In short, they are not fun.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Tulzscha.4231

Tulzscha.4231

I assume for those who are it’s more a fear of failure and/or other people than anything.

Raiding tends to be the most difficult PvE content there is and as such there will be wipes. Sometimes many, many wipes. When progressing in WoW raids it’s not uncommon to have over 100 or even 200 wipes on the more difficult bosses.

Some people can’t handle that, and/or are afraid they’ll be blamed for the wipes and treated like trash due to the perceived attitudes of other raiders which aren’t always accurate but since negativity tends to stand out more than anything else that’s what people tend to expect.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’m not afraid of raids, I’m just not interested in that type of content. Always someone ordering you around, telling you what to equip, where to stand, what skills to use. That’s just not my thing but I’ve got no problem with raids being in the game. I’m amazed that the devs did not give raiders a dedicated LFG channel or some sort of “lobby” to help them assemble and prepare.

There are plenty of raid guilds out there and they do advertise in LA chat.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

A lot of comments here seem to be based on heresay or speculation. I started raiding last week; it definitely needs effort, but the whole elitism stance is fairly baseless and not exclusive to raids. Dungeons and fractal players screamed zerk only for the longest time too. I’ve generally had really good pug experiences raiding. Team setup requires patience, but its not impossible. Set up your own team and you can specify the experience level. Ive also set up training runs before where experienced players joined and offered to teach.

I’d hardly say “most people” dont care about raiding, most of my guild raids, and it didnt come together when raids were introduced, we generally had people interested in it, whether it was inter guild raiding or pugging.

Posted by: innocens.1582

innocens.1582

i like raids, and i did them on a regular basis in age of conan, with the guild i was in then.
They did sunday evening raiding with guildies who wanted to come along.

Only toth amon(i think he was called) they did with a special team.
It was allways fun to do the raids with them.

Think i will do them in gw2 as well when i find a cool guild that suits my needs.
In gw1 we did all of the hard content with the guild, without forcing builds on to people. We were just a group of fun loving people that took their time to
get things done.

when you want to pug it, its like in gw1, if you dont run a so and so build and have
so and so experience you cant come( some even would say your scrub).

You could try to form your own group, but i doubt it will work for raids.

a man who doesnt make mistakes doesnt do anything

Vayne.8563

A lot of comments here seem to be based on heresay or speculation. I started raiding last week; it definitely needs effort, but the whole elitism stance is fairly baseless and not exclusive to raids. Dungeons and fractal players screamed zerk only for the longest time too. I’ve generally had really good pug experiences raiding. Team setup requires patience, but its not impossible. Set up your own team and you can specify the experience level. Ive also set up training runs before where experienced players joined and offered to teach.

I’d hardly say “most people” dont care about raiding, most of my guild raids, and it didnt come together when raids were introduced, we generally had people interested in it, whether it was inter guild raiding or pugging.

When I want to make a dungeon group,. I put up an ad, dungeon path casaul, fun run and I get people pretty kitten ed fast.

I’ve never not beaten a dungeon with any group I’ve gotten that way.

Try that with a raid sometimes.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

So, what exactly is the issue? Is the raid in GW2 just one of the hardest in the genre or something, or are people just being silly?

Players are doing the Raid with their friends and guild members is probably the best reason you can’t find random groups.

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

The LFG in this game sucks balls. It’s as bad as when people in SWTOR asked you to link your achievement or pm them your dps parse numbers to join a raid or in Neverwinter Online when you spammed your gear score hoping you had the biggest stick to find groups. It’s not limited to raids either, fractals, PvP…less so in dungeons since the reward nerf.
With LFG messages like “zerk only, exp only, eternal title only, only meta builds, etc” is it any wonder that people shy away from a lot of party content outside of big open world zergs in this game? Aside from the few people doing teaching runs (see the players helping players for example) the community is just toxic as kitten to anyone trying something for the first time.

As a former raid leader I really don’t feel like bothering with the effort of putting together raids anymore, it’s just not worth the time or effort. I guess that makes me part of the problem, but somehow, I can’t find it in me to care.

(edited by Ubik.8315)

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I dont Think ppl are – the problem is findin a Group and get started – THAT takes AGES wich makes it not Worth the effort.

Kima & Co

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

For 3 years you did not need a group for any of the core content. Sure dungeons and fractals but that was solved with a LFG where you don’t know the people and before the LFG it was stand outside the instance and spam say chat. Outside of a dungeon or fractal guild players ‘soloed’ instances (joining pugs). Raids come out and all of a sudden these solo players have to make 9 new friends. For a lot of people they either choose not to or because of casual content for 3 years can’t get into a guild or static raid group because they are required to do more than just to auto attack. There was also no build up to raids, an instance or new dungeon that gave the player base a taste of what raids were going to be so these players that play alone know what to expect.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So, I’ll reiterate a lot of what others have said already:

• Not afraid of raiding
  • Haven’t played them yet
  • Was concerned about what they would do to GW2 when they implemented them
  • Don’t particularly care for their set up or what they promote
  • Not into “stand around and wait” for ‘x’ number of people (wasn’t that the entire reason they got rid of tanking, and monking, and instancing, hench, and 8 person parties in the first place?)
  • I don’t know 9 other people that I wouldn’t strangle for being kittenholes
Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

" right guys, right builds, right food "

Forced content, forced anything really, is a turn off for some people. In any rpg I play there is my class, my build, my chosen play style. If it works well with others in a group scenario thats great. If it doesnt I’m more likely to skip whatever it is thats not working, than change my character. See, its in the name itself ‘role playing game’. I have a certain image of my character in my head. Requiring me to modify that in order to fit in somewhere is a huge intrusion in my personal (digital) space. Thats not to say I would not be open to learning new things. Its more of an aesthetic thing, here’s an example: I like playing a GS Reaper. GS Reaper doesnt work in pvp => I dont play pvp. That applies to any game mode really.

So, am i the only one?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Personally dislike raiding because the time they generally take to get ready, time in them to deal with, the issues with getting everyone on at the same time, the gear score stupidity, the elitists etc..

As a carer for my father i just don’t have time to spend in Raids for hours on end anymore…

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

There is a lot of hearsay in this thread. I doubt that many have even put forth the effort to raid.

People are afraid of raids because they are afraid to fail. It’s hard to fail most content in this game. Open world has a reputation of “press 1 to receive loot.” You just can’t do that in raids.

I don’t think people remember dungeons when they came out. They were hard. No one had the right gear. No one knew the dungeon mechanics. No one knew their classes.

Now they’re easy because people know what to do. It’s even easier for new players because they can mimic the experienced ones.

The same thing will happen to raids. I found VG hard the first couple of weeks. But I was inexperienced, and the group was inexperieced. Now it’s much easier. Because people know what to do.

So try out raids. Fail. It’s ok. That’s how I learned. I tried sloth every day the first week it came out, and didn’t beat it. Now I do. Because I learned the fight, and so did everyone else.

It’s actually a lot easier for you now, because you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. You can have an experienced player tell you exactly what to do. Exactly what build and gear to bring.

So join a pug group. Create one (I don’t raid on a schedule – I pug every week). Join a guild. You can be the solution. So just do it.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

People ain’t afraid of raiding.

1) First not everybody is playing raid. Hard to estimate how much player are doing raid to be honest. It’s probably between 5 and 15%.

2) The LFG is a mess for raid. No sub section, LFG doesn’t work with squad, etc. It doesn’t push people to play in pugs.

3) Raid need a lot of pratice and it can be hard to find a group at the same level as you. So most players prefer to have their own guild to raid with people they know and have similar skill in the game then them.

4) Finding a good guild is always a problem whatever your game. It’s not different for raiding guild. There isn’t much place to advertise, some raid don,t like to advertise. In the end, it’s not because you didn’t find any guild recruiting that there isn’t any. Also, those guild eventually become full and new guild need to form to recruit more players.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Game isn’t balanced for beans.

The reason so many people raid percentage wise compared to other games is because other games are balanced. Dungeons, WvW, and so forth are all dead people leaving in swaths due to esports balancing their classes for all modes and crunching the visual flair. Anet can’t do more than one thing at a time and even SAB goes away the 19th leaving us back at square one afterwards.

But like others have said elitism the white knights and rampant elitism that grows from raids has ended with the destruction of more than it’s fair share of MMO’s. Many people came to Gw2 as a haven from that type of thing but after the elitsit killed their own games they came to GW2 and are now trying to destroy it usin the same type of raid rhetoric used in so many other games which lead to their own collapses. I’d say go back to your old heavy raid oriented game but I’d say it either doesn’t exist anymore or is a complete and utter ghost town right now which is the fate of any game that caters to the elitist and not the casual and history proves it as such.

Absurdo.8309

The reason so many people raid percentage wise compared to other games is because other games are balanced. Dungeons, WvW, and so forth are all dead people leaving in swaths due to esports balancing their classes for all modes and crunching the visual flair. Anet can’t do more than one thing at a time and even SAB goes away the 19th leaving us back at square one afterwards.

But like others have said elitism the white knights and rampant elitism that grows from raids has ended with the destruction of more than it’s fair share of MMO’s. Many people came to Gw2 as a haven from that type of thing but after the elitsit killed their own games they came to GW2 and are now trying to destroy it usin the same type of raid rhetoric used in so many other games which lead to their own collapses. I’d say go back to your old heavy raid oriented game but I’d say it either doesn’t exist anymore or is a complete and utter ghost town right now which is the fate of any game that caters to the elitist and not the casual and history proves it as such.

If you don’t like raiding as content, then, well, don’t raid?

Raids have been generally well received by the players that do them. They are one of the most polished parts of this game.

Honestly, the only “elitist” attitude I’ve seen is from non raiders. It seems selfish to me to demand that all content cater to your skill level. The real problem is the severe lack of content since HOT.

That said, I’ll be in SAB all weekend. Not sure whether I’ll want to beat all the wing 2 bosses this week.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Raids have been generally well received by the players that do them. They are one of the most polished parts of this game.

Honestly, the only “elitist” attitude I’ve seen is from non raiders. It seems selfish to me to demand that all content cater to your skill level. The real problem is the severe lack of content since HOT.

That said, I’ll be in SAB all weekend. Not sure whether I’ll want to beat all the wing 2 bosses this week.

I wish it was a matter of skill. That’s the thing. Raids are not at all indicative of skilled play. It’s just optimization and then executing on it. There’s not much intrinsically difficult on the personal level so much as build-dependent and so long as the raid leader knows how to order people around. Removing the timer would make them a lot more approachable and remove much of the elitism associated with fixed builds. The pug dungeon community was quite large. I’ve never joined a zerk/AP requirement dungeon group nor have I started one, and some of the pug groups I have joined have rivaled some guilds’ speed clear times, despite the groups not being fully optimized or people abiding to a strict strategy deemed by the community as “necessary.”

Given the opportunity to play as they want to, they’ll complete the content together. Raiding should be hard on skill, not hard on build-dependence and composition.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

Im 53 and disabled and dont like taking abuse from elitist teenagers.
Its not the raids so much as the people and attitude they attract.

Absurdo.8309

I wish it was a matter of skill. That’s the thing. Raids are not at all indicative of skilled play. It’s just optimization and then executing on it. There’s not much intrinsically difficult on the personal level so much as build-dependent and so long as the raid leader knows how to order people around. Removing the timer would make them a lot more approachable and remove much of the elitism associated with fixed builds. The pug dungeon community was quite large. I’ve never joined a zerk/AP requirement dungeon group nor have I started one, and some of the pug groups I have joined have rivaled some guilds’ speed clear times, despite the groups not being fully optimized or people abiding to a strict strategy deemed by the community as “necessary.”

Given the opportunity to play as they want to, they’ll complete the content together. Raiding should be hard on skill, not hard on build-dependence and composition.

Optimization and execution can describe all pve content, since you are facing non player characters. And the “execution” can demonstrate skill.

There’s actually a lot of variety in terms of composition, once you know how the fight works. Many are strict on composition for the first couple of weeks because people are new to the fight and they want to try a composition they know works. But after it’s out for a couple of weeks, people relax a bit. I don’t have set compositions when I lead wing 1 parties.

I still don’t get where the so-called elitism comes from. I have not seen it, at least in my experience. What I have seen is players that actually put forth the effort beat raids.

Absurdo.8309

Im 53 and disabled and dont like taking abuse from elitist teenagers.
Its not the raids so much as the people and attitude they attract.

If I came into this debate without knowing anything about either “side,” I would find this comment incredibly dismissive.

What have you found “abusive” from raiders? I lead pug groups every week. I have not encountered any abusive behavior.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

How would you suggest making a raid hard based on skill if it’s easy based on build and group comp?

• You could lower the time between tell and attack, or reduce the time tolerance on re-positioning. Result: You’d lower the numbers of players who can complete it, not increase accessibility. There would be no impact on any PuG meta other than reducing the overall number of players who want to raid.
  • You could remove the timers. Result: You’d have dungeons 2.0. The raid would be easier overall and there would be no impact on the skill needed to complete it. You might see people start raid parties allowing a choice of various types of gear — you might not. The PuG meta would still call for certain builds, gear and tactics because people who want to optimize would still do so. If it’s not needed for basic success, it would be deemed necessary for efficiency.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Why are people so afraid of spiders?

Because, there are, in fact, many spiders which are incredibly dangerous around which you should exercise extreme caution. And people aren’t educated enough to know the difference so they exercise the same level of caution with all spiders.

Same thing with raids. Raids are terribly designed anti-casual and anti-fun content in the majority of games where they appear. Not to mention ANet has a lousy track record when it comes to challenging content. They haven’t just failed to make content which improves players skill level and graduates them to higher tiers of content difficulty, they’ve largely spent the last three years creating content which punishes experimentation and learning at all.

So when ANet says “This is the most challenging content we’ve made yet!” many players read it as “This is the worst content we’ve made yet!”, the term ‘challenging’ has just become synonymous with punishing, frustrating, uncreative, time consuming, boring, repetitive, and most of all unclear. They content just doesn’t teach you anything or provide any clear learning paths, and then rather than improve the content and give it those paths to where the game has a reasonable gradiation of difficulty, they either remove content or nerf it to be so unrewarding as to be almost entirely abandoned.

There was a glimmer of hope with the last season of the LS and the new areas of Drytop and Silverwastes when ANet seemed to be finally making spawns, mobs, and events which had clear strategies for players to exercise and eventually excel at. It was really basic but excellently structured.

And then HoT came out, and oh boy did that little glimmer of hope die ever so fast.

You ever have that one professor, that designed his tests, not to test your knowledge of the subject matter, but as a means to bolster his ego at your expense? Just one question after another attempting to catch you on technicalities, lack of clarity, or just outright trick you in to selecting the wrong answer.

HoT is the game version of those tests and its makers the designer version of that professor.

From beginning to the end it is an exercise in frustration. Champion level mobs disguised as veterans, group events disguised as solo events, mere skill point acquisition requires a bloody train of players. It makes you not want to explore as you spend hours trying to get somewhere only to inevitably find at the last step that it requires a mastery that is hours of farming away. Mobs seem purposely designed to have no telegraphing on their attacks whatsoever, and attack at a frequency that completely nullifies everything the base game taught you about active defense and evasion. You want to get to that event? Worse, you need to get to that event for some piece of progression or other? Too bad, waypoint closes down as well as the five nearest. Happen to meet one of those unsoloable champs disguised as a vet while hoofing it? Lets port back to the very entrance of the area, the only WP that is ever open! And then, oh boy, the event credit, is that ever a great system! I have lost event credit literally a fraction of a second after killing an event spawned mob, seconds after going down, walking back to an event from the WP, because mobs didn’t spawn, because mobs clearly within the event circle were not ‘event mobs’, while resurrecting players and event NPCs, and lost event credit because I was fulfilling the event objective but doing so without killing event mobs!

I like challenge, in both exploration and combat. But HoT doesn’t challenge you to use what it taught you better, it throws everything that it taught you back in your face and tells you you’re an idiot. This was an expansion made by developers trying to prove their superiority to players and the gaming/MMO community at large.

The game isn’t at a point where players are willing to give new content a chance because of how little work ANet seems to be willing to put in to making their content clear and accessible, I know I’m not willing. I can’t even get myself to complete the HoT areas or play for more than an hour or two a week, some weeks not at all, let alone get in to raiding. Which makes me sad, I really loved this game, and once upon a time had the highest hopes for it.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I do raids and I like doing it but the immense time investment is something that can put me off a lot.

Just look at all the absurd amount of time you can easily waste putting parties up and how quickly it can all fall if just one of the member leave for whatever reasons.

There is also the never dying syndrome of elitist pre-selection that sometimes get to ridiculous levels. I’m fully ascended myself and have killed a few bosses a few times but when I see requirement like must show at least 10 proofs of boss defeats I’m like, really?

This reminds a lot of the time you wanted to do Hall of Heroes but most only admitted rank 6 or higher. You needed to play to get higher ranks but no one would take you because you couldn’t play…

I know Raid guilds is the “solution”, and I did just that, but I can easily understand what many find repulsive in raids. You have to be ready to waste a lot of time… a lot of it.

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

My first and only experience with the raid was 3+ hours of trying to figure out how to get past the VG and resulted in zero rewards. I’ve decided my time is better spent on other things ever since.

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

Jaded from previous games for the trouble of
- Organizing a group of 10 people motivated exclusively by personal greed (this takes 3 hours).
- Waiting for the tank to get out of the bathroom cause it took 2 hours to find a healer
- Entering the raid, wiping on the trash in the first 4 minutes and 3 people ragequit the raid, taking you back to square 1.
- Not having enough raiders in the guild so you have to fill with 3-6 people (see above greed).

Add with guildwars:
- Being a sub-optimal class
- not knowing builds/rotations
- being unable to afford the build
- not having masteries unlocked (everyone’s waiting on your kitten to get back from spawn after they took the shortcut that you can only unlock from raiding)

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

The issue OP is having is mostly a result of two things:
1.) There is no incentive to teach the raid fights to newcomers
2.) The current framework for finding players to raid with is extremely poor

Can you blame pug groups for being somewhat exclusive with who they take? It will take hours longer to teach someone the fight and beat it than it will to just wait for an experienced player to come along.

At the same time, if someone wants to get into raiding it can difficult to build your way up to being an experienced player. Even if you are willing to group with nine other inexperienced players, finding players who are willing and available to come with you for multi-hour spans more than once is a huge pain in the kitten .

OP, the best way to approach this problem is to get into a guild that does raids. It doesn’t have to be a guild dedicated to raiding, just one that has people that raid and are willing to teach. I’m in a large guild, and not everyone raids, but the people that do are very friendly and we often take newcomers on training runs. If you really are “fully geared out” and you aren’t a huge kitten you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting into one of these guilds.

My first and only experience with the raid was 3+ hours of trying to figure out how to get past the VG and resulted in zero rewards. I’ve decided my time is better spent on other things ever since.

When raids first came out it took us multiple days of raiding to kill Vale Guardian. Now we can easily clear the whole wing in under a half hour. No one is pretending that learning to raid isn’t a large time commitment, but if you have dedicated players that are willing to learn and improve themselves then it is can be a very rewarding experience (not just in terms of loot =P)

(edited by Dinosaurs.8674)

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

There is a lot of hearsay in this thread. I doubt that many have even put forth the effort to raid.

People are afraid of raids because they are afraid to fail. It’s hard to fail most content in this game. Open world has a reputation of “press 1 to receive loot.” You just can’t do that in raids.

I don’t think people remember dungeons when they came out. They were hard. No one had the right gear. No one knew the dungeon mechanics. No one knew their classes.

Now they’re easy because people know what to do. It’s even easier for new players because they can mimic the experienced ones.

The same thing will happen to raids. I found VG hard the first couple of weeks. But I was inexperienced, and the group was inexperieced. Now it’s much easier. Because people know what to do.

So try out raids. Fail. It’s ok. That’s how I learned. I tried sloth every day the first week it came out, and didn’t beat it. Now I do. Because I learned the fight, and so did everyone else.

It’s actually a lot easier for you now, because you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. You can have an experienced player tell you exactly what to do. Exactly what build and gear to bring.

So join a pug group. Create one (I don’t raid on a schedule – I pug every week). Join a guild. You can be the solution. So just do it.

I’m not afraid to fail if its just me. I don’t like my failings dragging a group of other players down, however. Makes me feel bad for wasting other peoples’ time. And I certainly don’t much care for being raged at for it either.

There’s a “butter zone” so to speak where you can get in early and fail with everyone else, learn as everyone else learns, and be fine. But past that point, then you’re the one holding back the group while everyone else knows what they’re doing, that’s what I don’t like at all. I don’t want to be the “lame duck”.

Its why I don’t do dungeons, don’t do fractals, and don’t do raids. I missed out on the learning period for all of those things so now its a lost cause in my eyes. Even with new raids, the experienced raiders are still going to have a better idea of what to do than I would having never touched a raid before.

There’s the whole ascended thing too. I’d rather spend my time and gold on fun skins and multiple equipment sets for all my characters as opposed to just spending thousands equipping one character to the “max”. Besides some ascended trinkets here and there (Amulets on all characters since you get them for laurels, one character with all the Sinister trinkets from LS2), I have basically no ascended gear. One staff I crafted for the skin, one chest piece from my one and only ever ascended drop, one backpiece I made for the skin. So not only do I not meet any experience requirements, I also don’t even meet what most consider the basic gear requirements either.

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

A lot of comments here seem to be based on heresay or speculation.

You two are hilarious. I think I will continue that blasphemous thought process on a whole new level. If Arena Net does not see positive scaling statistic of people participating in Raid content via the long-term, it will be next on the chopping block. Though I have a feeling that adventures might get that treatment first. Due to their lack of quality in design/polish and people diminishing participation (sad to say). In that they will halt their development for other things (like legendaries) down the line.

While I am fine by all content in the game. Particularly with raid content taking out the ludicrous open world boss scaling issues. While reeling it back into an actual small group personal instance. The problem is what happened with the switched mentality of catering too much to the hardcore.

That pendulum finally swung too far with HoT focusing on that hardcore demographic. Especially when you break the stepping stool that gets people to that content. Dungeons and Fractals allowed people to slowly get there. However the stagnant nature of them, as well as the nerfs (before HoT came out) killed a great deal of that prospect. Now you have a three story roof with no ladders. While the people at the top are throwing stones at the people below, not realizing their own player base is shrinking. Due to the first raid not even being fully complete and peoples patience being very limited. That’s without me even mentioning the time sink itself.

The other glaring problem is ascended gear. Exotic gear alone can get the job just fine in raid. The stigma of people believing that you need acceded gear also drives them away. Especially when the one the lead designers of the raid tweets out a comment telling us so. It’s just like when they told us that Canach Lair fight instance in Southsun was on the level of being elite dungeon content. That was a straight out fabrication. Yet people believe that was originally the case. One solution would be dwindle down the materials/grind needed to create ascended gear to make them a bit more obtainable. Beyond what there is now. So people can experiment more outside of the norm with their gear, without the fear of being punished for selecting a “bad stat.” Or something that does not fit their overall play style.

(edited by Sindex.9520)

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

Electro

I’m not afraid to fail if its just me. I don’t like my failings dragging a group of other players down, however. Makes me feel bad for wasting other peoples’ time. And I certainly don’t much care for being raged at for it either.

There’s a “butter zone” so to speak where you can get in early and fail with everyone else, learn as everyone else learns, and be fine. But past that point, then you’re the one holding back the group while everyone else knows what they’re doing, that’s what I don’t like at all. I don’t want to be the “lame duck”.

Its why I don’t do dungeons, don’t do fractals, and don’t do raids. I missed out on the learning period for all of those things so now its a lost cause in my eyes. Even with new raids, the experienced raiders are still going to have a better idea of what to do than I would having never touched a raid before.

There’s the whole ascended thing too. I’d rather spend my time and gold on fun skins and multiple equipment sets for all my characters as opposed to just spending thousands equipping one character to the “max”. Besides some ascended trinkets here and there (Amulets on all characters since you get them for laurels, one character with all the Sinister trinkets from LS2), I have basically no ascended gear. One staff I crafted for the skin, one chest piece from my one and only ever ascended drop, one backpiece I made for the skin. So not only do I not meet any experience requirements, I also don’t even meet what most consider the basic gear requirements either.

I would agree with you about getting in early making it easier to find a group. But at some point, if you want to do the content, you have to just go for it and learn as you go. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or seek advice from the more experienced players you are with. Even stuff like “I don’t understand how to dodge this attack” isn’t a stupid question – it was a kittenshow at sloth for a while until we learned the mechanics of tremor and shake, and knowing the best way to avoid those makes the fight much easier. Also don’t be afraid to bring more defensive traits/skills if you can fit it into your build. It’s tough to learn the mechanics if you die early every time. And for the love of god if you don’t know what you’re doing don’t play elementalist.

Saying you won’t do fotm is completely stupid, I have seen some insanely clowny stuff at lower tier fotm and I have literally never seen anyone rage about it. I’ve seen people go in with green items and kitten. No one cares as long as you meet the AR (easily affordable with just trinkets). For most of the scales 40 and below you could do them with 3 people anyway.

As far as raid gear goes, minimum is ascended weapon + trinkets. That’s pretty affordable honestly. Anyone who won’t take you only because you have exotic armor is an idiot. Not saying people won’t do it, but it is nowhere near as common as people think. Any experienced raider knows how little of a benefit ascended armor gives. I see people on the forums here say all the time that they don’t want to have to get ascended armor because it’s too expensive. That’s a BS excuse. I know experienced raiders who still use exotic armor on some characters (generally for alternative rune sets). It’s fine. You can make your armor solely from magnetite/raid drops/fotm drops if you’re patient.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

What have you found “abusive” from raiders? I lead pug groups every week. I have not encountered any abusive behavior.

Something like “Can you change your class?” or “Don’t use x trait here because Y is a lot better.” or even “We are looking for a warrior but you entered as a ranger. Change class or leave.” is extremely offensive in gw2.

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

My two cents:

I waited until I got all ascended gear to start raiding and did it with my family and guildmates. I was excited and ready to go.

Then I played it.

Not only was it VERY different than the raids I used to do in WoW, it seemed that it was entirely built around gimmicky mechanics. Each boss and mini-boss was a long fight where the boss had unbelievably huge HP. I was extremely disappointed in the lack of mobs in the first half of the raid. It was really just moving from one gimmick boss to another. Perhaps that’s what “challenging” content means.

My take is that GW2 raids is just not fun. I know many of my guildies think the same. We did it a couple times and then were just bored with it. I love GW2 way more than I ever did WoW, but Siege of Orgimmar this is not.

IMHO, I think they should do more dungeons, drop the fractals push, and let people play “how they want” again.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

So, I played GW2 when it first came out, and had a lot of fun with it — at first. Fractals rolled around, and they were fun, but you can only do the same thing so many times before it gets boring. So, I quit at about the beginning of Living Story season 1.

Flash forward a few years, and here I started playing again ~3 weeks ago. When I heard about new fractals, a raid, and all kinds of challenging content, I just had to come back! So, now I have an 80 Engineer and Elementalist (both fully geared out), I’ve been raiding in MMOs for upwards of 12 years, and all that — yet, to date, I’ve not even set foot inside the raid.

I’ve been listing myself in LFG for a week and a half or so, I’ve been asking around in chat, and so on. But, there’s just no one pugging a raid, or filling a spot, or any of that. And no guilds are recruiting that actually go into the raid.

Raiding was the main reason I came back to the game. : / And it doesn’t seem like I’ll even set foot in the raid any time soon.

I think the raids are only being done by a relatively small number of the population. I pugged this raid when the first wing came out, but it’s easy to get frustrated before long by problems that pugging and raiding just naturally provide.

At the time, it was challenging enough that pugging meant I was doing a lot of repeating and dying. So, eventually, pugging became less and less popular and people raided with their guilds. You’d think you could get into a raiding guild, though.

Personally, unless people pug the raid again in the future due to players having figured out how to do it relatively easily, I probably won’t finish the whole thing. I just don’t want to make more ascended gear at this point (I’ve made A LOT of it) and I’d have to make sets I never made in order to raid, so it’s not worth the time, mats, and money to me to gear out. I’d rather spend the next several months doing something more fun than gold grinding or mat grinding or both.

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Raiding has MANY requirements. It’s certainly NOT for everyone. Every boss is different and has a different set of mechanics to learn and master. The composition of the group also varies from boss to boss. Think of it as many very difficult puzzles requiring experience, build, and gear. The MOST important thing is a group of 10 people that get along well.

Being in a good guild is probably the most important first step. Sure you can PUG it, but wow, you really need to get lucky to find the right group. Raids take LOTs of practice and patience. The better ‘instructor’ you have the smoother the experience. Fortunately my guild has about a dozen ‘hard core’ raiders that have no problem spending hours and hours learning how to beat the raid. The other dozen ‘casual’ raiders like myself then learn from them and to some extent get ‘carried’ through. VG is pretty easy with a decent build, but Gorseval is a real DPS check with the last nerfs that came out.

Everyone has to work together bringing the right thing to the table. It is NOT a walk in the park like most of the rest of GW2 content.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

I just find fixed-size group content in preset instances incredibly boring, no matter how “challenging” that content might be. You know you are doing the same as every other group before or after you. After 3.5 years I still haven’t even done all dungeon paths and my fractal level is somewhere around 19. Why would I do something, that is as boring to me, only more demanding on the ppl around me and myself?

Absurdo.8309

Something like “Can you change your class?” or “Don’t use x trait here because Y is a lot better.” or even “We are looking for a warrior but you entered as a ranger. Change class or leave.” is extremely offensive in gw2.

If you find this abusive or offensive, then I’m not sure what to tell you.

Asking to change a trait or skill seems helpful to me, if it’s coming from an experienced player. I’m not sure why it would hurt your feelings. It takes a couple of clicks.

As someone who organizes pug groups, I’m pretty lenient on class choice, at least for wing 1. But I understand why others aren’t, and that’s their prerogative.

Obviously, if the lfg asks for a certain class, and you’re not that class, then you have no right to join the group. It’s their group, not yours, and they make the requirements.

Even if there was no explicit class requirements in the description, I would be ok asking you if you had another class, provided that you just joined the group. There’s nothing wrong with trying to maximize group effectiveness. And some classes are not the best at certain roles. If you can’t fill that role, and you haven’t committed any time, how are you harmed? Just find a group where you can fill the role they need. Or make your own.

As some general advice: People often ask: “What class should I gear up for raids?” The answer is always: multiple. If you limit yourself to one role or class, and that role is already filled in the group, then you’re out of looking. Being versatile is golden in raids.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If you find this abusive or offensive, then I’m not sure what to tell you.

I’m pretty sure he is arguing for your side, trying to discredit the other one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November