Worse than Cursed Shores...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

I have come to the conclusion that the new HoT zones are worse than how Cursed Shore used to be with the mob density and horrific respawns of undead.

I ran through the new map (well more like I stumbled), died a few times and managed to get some way points and earn points towards my masteries. No matter which path I took, I ran into so many mobs it was difficult to even consider exploring anything that looked remotely interesting.

I actually got a chance to try out gliding…died a few times when I slammed into the side of a rock wall and when I lost the wind in my glider without being able to catch an updraft.

The new zone is so terribly overrun with mobs that it is not fun exploring. I hope Anet tones down the density and the immediate respawns so we can at least explore without getting downed every few feet.

I did this on my Ranger and used my war horn in order to keep speed up. I ended up letting my bear run blockage when I needed a quick get away and was fortunate enough to have a guildie helping me past the worst of the “mobjambs.”

I was a wreck when we finally stopped at the last waypoint (lower left corner of the middle map). I am sure my bear will be presenting me with his resignation tomorrow for the suicides he endured on my behalf.

I never did make it anywhere else.

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

I am enjoying the difficulty and appreciate the fact that one can’t just wander anywhere without considering the danger.

Of course, your opinion and experience is just as valid as mine. But these differences do demonstrate the difficulty ANet may have in trying to decide what is the best direction for the game (make it harder or make it easier?)

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

Posted by: Karma.3064

Karma.3064

Hmmm, i’m honestly not having a issue running through the maps. Are you using full zerker gear? If so, thats likely your problem. I’m running a mix of Soldiers, zerker, and assassins. Currently sitting at almost 2.4k armor and 17k hp. I tend to not have a issue just running past mobs and ignoring them. Sure, i’ll have to heal after a few mobs or stop and kill a pack of pocket raptors but its really not that bad.

(edited by Karma.3064)

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Forum: we forced Anet to nerf elite spec unlock, we forced Anet to nerf hero challanges and we forced Anet to nerf mastery gate. Now let’s just complain until Anet nerf the difficulty.

NO!!!

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The zone is tough compared to other open world stuff, yes, you could die! But that’s actually somewhat good for me. Now this kind of "challenge"I appreciate; the sudden threat of failure unless you wake up. However, if you’re having too much trouble, you really have to be more careful with your pulls and carefully perform maintenance work on potential threats. (aka put your pet on passive!) This includes kiting enemies back into allied NPCs and noting your distance to them. Chances are you’re not taking care of stuff behind you and you’ll get surrounded in no time.

I admit, there is some trouble because unlike most other maps, it doesn’t feel like you can maneuver to avoid enemies very much because it is narrow and overcrowded in some places. That, and WPs seem to be so far apart that it does feel rather punishing.

I think, give it a bit more time, and take more breaks when you finally do reach a safe place. The map is indeed designed to make you slow down and work your way through so don’t just run past everything.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

The difficulty is quite intentional, and encourages using masteries and tactics to get around.

For whatever it’s worth, I’ve been running my glass-cannon longbow Ranger all over the place, and it’s definitely doable.

YMMV.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: ViciousFire.9137

ViciousFire.9137

No! don’t you dare! I like the difficulty

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

The new maps are perfect for someone like me who just likes killing things. Masteries are perfect the way they are. You gradually unlock them just be playing whatever you feel like playing which, for me, happens to be killing hordes of bad guys. HPs on the other hand were over the top, glad the dropped it done to 250.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

lynspottery.6529

All good points and from different perspectives…I like that. I am not against difficulty. I just think being mired is not fun.

But you all have a point. Considering this was my initial foray into the new zone, I shall certainly review my gear and setup. Hopefully, my bear will reconsider his resignation in my service….lol

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Use staff and greatsword on a ranger. These two weapons have great escape skills.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Consider getting a https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Juvenile_Krytan_Drakehound

Bear is honestly not the best choice in these cases.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

lynspottery.6529

Consider getting a https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Juvenile_Krytan_Drakehound

Bear is honestly not the best choice in these cases.

Good idea…I think I already have him in my stable. I’ll have to check.

But I was hoping to come across some of the new pets in this zone. Really wanted a dragon…but we’ll see what is there.

Posted by: Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Oh, it’s hilarious to see the elites throwing their little tantrums. They always complain about casuals whining and and crying, but the minute they don’t get their way, they cry and scream louder than everyone else and are always blaming casual players for everything.

And then you wonder why you get so much hate. It’s deserved. Maybe people will respect you if you stop acting like entitled cry babies. If you can’t handle other people having a fair shot at things, go play a single player game.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Dont dare nerf these zones, its nice to actually have a risk of death if you arent careful.

Also if you wish, after you train gliding tier 1 i will show you the fire wyvern

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

I’m running my glass staff Ele around and I’m not dying at all, even to the pack of pocket raptor. Also, you know that you can always tap Space near the end of a fall to safely land, right?

I think the difficulty is just right, and I’d hate it if ANet makes it too easy.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

lynspottery.6529

I am definitely book marking this page. I am seeing a lot of really good information here. And yes, I am a casual player but I did not think I was whining, just expressing my opinion.

However, I like the difficulty and I am sure I will get better at handling this, but I was mostly irritated over the fact that it felt like I had just killed that silly pocket raptor when he morphed into another one right before my eyes.

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

I enjoy the difficulty, but in some areas the mob respawn rate is incredibly unfun, specifically some events (vinetenders…)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Not having an issue now since there are people in the maps. But a few weeks from now? Yeah, this map is gonna feel impossible when the numbers drop significantly.

Posted by: ViciousFire.9137

ViciousFire.9137

I am definitely book marking this page. I am seeing a lot of really good information here. And yes, I am a casual player but I did not think I was whining, just expressing my opinion.

However, I like the difficulty and I am sure I will get better at handling this, but I was mostly irritated over the fact that it felt like I had just killed that silly pocket raptor when he morphed into another one right before my eyes.

Use signet of stone

lynspottery.6529

Not having an issue now since there are people in the maps. But a few weeks from now? Yeah, this map is gonna feel impossible when the numbers drop significantly.

Now this is a real concern. I don’t like rushing through areas and that is basically what I ended up doing this evening just to get the waypoints and open up the map some.

However, if the zones empty out, I fear this zone may end up being a nightmare to just traverse even using waypoints and gliding.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Oh, it’s hilarious to see the elites throwing their little tantrums. They always complain about casuals whining and and crying, but the minute they don’t get their way, they cry and scream louder than everyone else and are always blaming casual players for everything.

And then you wonder why you get so much hate. It’s deserved. Maybe people will respect you if you stop acting like entitled cry babies. If you can’t handle other people having a fair shot at things, go play a single player game.

Are you insane? The last few days has been nothing but casual crying over everything and Anet have given you what you want each time, now someone setting their sights on the actual gameplay is going too far.

You have all the tools to move and play in the new zones, you just need to try new things, change your builds and watch what’s happening around you. You have a fair shot, just might need you to engage more.

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

It’s a dangerous place. By design.

That’s the point.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I didn’t mind the difficulty (non-hero point) of Verdant Brink and Auric Basin. But Tangled Depths brought out a rage in me. This was all explored with a zerker thief and a zerker rev.

First, in Tangled Depths the mob density is ridiculous. In the other places there was at least some breathing room, but here around every corner it is +5 mobs. Second, the place is a gigantic labyrinth. It is full of long winding corridors that make up a 4-tiered maze, making navigating toward any goal and utter hell. Third, the map is incredibly cramped, to the point of being claustrophobic. I don’t feel like I’m exploring or discovering new places, as much as I am just perpetually lost. Combine all these three things, you get the feeling of confusion, frustration, and oppression.

If there were a map where I would like the enemy density toned down, it is there. I’m already lost and confused. I don’t want to be under attack literally all the time.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Oh, it’s hilarious to see the elites throwing their little tantrums.

so how exactly did you arrive at this “conclusion” in regards to OP?

Posted by: Jephery.8915

Jephery.8915

I haven’t had much trouble as a Warrior (gs/axe) or Ranger (lb/gs) in full zerker gear, but those are notoriously easy to pve with.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well, so far I’ve only seen Verdant Brink. And I’ve . . . had issues walking from point A (Maguuma Breach) to point G (Noble Cliffs) and not getting into a host of problems. However, once I learn the paths and get the opportunity to use some shortcuts it becomes much easier . . . still potentially deadly though.

(Frigging pocket raptors keeping me in combat mode too long….)

But on the other hand, tying to get back from a waypoint after dying in one of the event chains? Try to get to the last Pale Reaver event from death and Maguuma Breach. It’s really really tough. As in, pretty lethal once you get into those ruins.

Some middle ground in that case, such as not auto-Contesting the waypoint along the path?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Mono.7320

Mono.7320

wear nomads gear.

problem=solved

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Oh, it’s hilarious to see the elites throwing their little tantrums. They always complain about casuals whining and and crying, but the minute they don’t get their way, they cry and scream louder than everyone else and are always blaming casual players for everything..

It’s not about being elite, it’s about having eyes. There are paths around the monsters through all of the maps, just like Cursed Shores. Being Casual doesn’t mean you don’t have a brain – come on!

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

I am also one of those who enjoy the difficulty. So I vote no when it comes to nerfing this. Maybe when (if) the zones ever go dead they will have to tone down some events to make it playable for the few people that are actually there. It’s in a good spot right now.

And I’m using a full zerker mesmer without any problems. I still stand behind the “if you really require a tanky setup than that means you still didn’t learn how to use your dodge and evasive abilities”.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

The secret to dealing with pocket raptors is…

Deep pockets.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Hoppipolla.2841

Hoppipolla.2841

My mes wears full zerk ascended gears and only have +agony on slots. I don’t find its difficult to run trough the map at all. If you don’t want to fight just avoid passing trough those mobs.

Posted by: Kiza.5630

Kiza.5630

Deep pockets.

I just love’em.

- Player runs towards them
- “Oh, cute little raptors. Never mind, I can just ignore them”
- Player get’s crippled
- “Hm, kind of annoying.”
- Bleed is stacking, they actually hit like the big ones
- “What the…”
- Player downed
- Player dead

Posted by: Mike.7263

Mike.7263

There’s a reason instances and zones are different things. Provide hardcore challenges for those who seek it, when they seek it. Don’t constantly throw hardcore challenges in my face when I feel like casually exploring.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

It’s no walk in the park here, but no worse than orr “Get’s map out” oops dead.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

If you can’t die, there is no fun…

<start auto-attack, alt-tab to youtube/forum/skype a few seconds, walk to an other monster, repeat>
Pretty much what I did before HoT

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

A good method of uncovering Verdant Brinks is using one of the choppers (when they are available) to bring you up into the treetops + gliding down from there into the direction of the undiscovered Areas.

Also during nightcycle there are a lot more mobs than during daytime.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

And as usual some leet players have left their reading skills outside in the trash bin before posting in this topic. While it’s true that the OP wishes for respawn and density adjustments, no, the post wasn’t a “QQ wanna instant-kill button” request. Secondly, the OP also said he/she appreciates the few advices given here, so stop being leet for a second and just be helpful? In doing so, the “need” for adjustments will get reduced (not saying completely disappear).

Posted by: Bomper.7613

Bomper.7613

Hope incoming New zones will be beautiful landscape like Queendale or Norn stater area

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Hope incoming New zones will be beautiful landscape like Queendale or Norn stater area

I hope new zones will let us use gliders even if they’re flatter than Maguuma Jungle.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Deep pockets.

I just love’em.

- Player get’s crippled
- “What the…”
- Player downed
- Player dead

I love those – I just drop basically all my Marks and Wells on them, slip into Death Shroud and DS4 or DS2 them into oblivion (May drop my health to half if I’m lazy)
Say what you want about necros, but we do have decent AoE survivability.
Takes less than a minute.
(There’s a reason I don’t run a melee-single-DPS optimized build.)

Polka will never die

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

I have come to the conclusion that the new HoT zones are worse than how Cursed Shore used to be with the mob density and horrific respawns of undead.

I ran through the new map (well more like I stumbled), died a few times and managed to get some way points and earn points towards my masteries. No matter which path I took, I ran into so many mobs it was difficult to even consider exploring anything that looked remotely interesting.

I actually got a chance to try out gliding…died a few times when I slammed into the side of a rock wall and when I lost the wind in my glider without being able to catch an updraft.

The new zone is so terribly overrun with mobs that it is not fun exploring. I hope Anet tones down the density and the immediate respawns so we can at least explore without getting downed every few feet.

I did this on my Ranger and used my war horn in order to keep speed up. I ended up letting my bear run blockage when I needed a quick get away and was fortunate enough to have a guildie helping me past the worst of the “mobjambs.”

I was a wreck when we finally stopped at the last waypoint (lower left corner of the middle map). I am sure my bear will be presenting me with his resignation tomorrow for the suicides he endured on my behalf.

I never did make it anywhere else.

This is supposed to be difficult until you unlock Masteries and even then it should always be challenging.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

I like that the content forces you to think more about your surroundings and that enemies aren’t complete pushovers. I’m running full zerker gear and tonight I’ve died about 20 times, bout 10 of which were doing story and kinda glad for it actually . It makes me think bout what I’m doing. It’s nice not facerolling through even regular mobs.

Posted by: Vesenya.4239

Vesenya.4239

If you re having problems.. go with friends? And you re ranger and still dying? ._.’’ My ranger run thru jungle with closed eyes.

Map is perfect, nice change from undeads (Orr).

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

My issue is more with everything that then gets in the way if you happen to fall off or die going for a mastery of HP point.

Contested waypoints on a map with so few meant at one stage I had a choice of respawning at the start of the map or bottom left corner- either one means 10-20 minutes of running, mob fights or avoidance or just not being able to get back towards the HP that I was trying to get to.

On the plus side, I finally worked out how to reach a mastery point on the first map- to discover it’s surrounded by poison that needs the mastery before you can get a mastery point…/sarcasm

Posted by: Kaamau.5341

Kaamau.5341

Its sad day when players complain about the difficulty of content. What makes a game fun is that there can aleays be a goal, always a new challenge, and these new zones are just one huge challenge! Sure, some people aren’t ready for it, well thats your goal, get ready!

Fort Aspenwood
PRAISE GEESUS

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

… I don’t feel like I’m exploring or discovering new places, as much as I am just perpetually lost. Combine all these three things, you get the feeling of confusion, frustration, and oppression…

Seems pretty much like it would actually feel to be in a totally new place, a jungle, that is filled with hostile minions of an elder Dragon who wants to kill you.

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

Deep pockets.

I just love’em.

- Player get’s crippled
- “What the…”
- Player downed
- Player dead

I both love and hate Pocket Raptors. Thankfully they die quickly enough, but unfortunately there’s about 500 of them at any given time. My usual plan of attack is -

- Send in Fire Wyvern
- Press F2
- Watch ’em burn!
- Finish off any stragglers as needed

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Anyone remember how GW1 handled this? You had an easier (not always easy) way then after you had completed the area you could up the difficulty to hard mode….. Hmm could this be applied to the entire site for GW2, old and new? I bet that would keep interest and allow all to explore or go wide open in hard…… You could also up the drops for hard mode………Just a thought…

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: Voluptus.3509

Voluptus.3509

Look,

By the time you get to these zones you should have already dealt with Frostgorge, Orr, maybe Southsun, definitely Dry Top and Silverwastes. You should already have leveled to 80, understand how to make a synergized build, use it’s capabilities and have some set rotations or combos under your belt.

That’s good because you need to know that stuff in order to survive the new zones.

It’s supposed to be that way.

ANET: Do NOT nerf these areas. We have more than enough nerfed zones already, please leave these few difficult ones as they are.

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

… I don’t feel like I’m exploring or discovering new places, as much as I am just perpetually lost. Combine all these three things, you get the feeling of confusion, frustration, and oppression…

Seems pretty much like it would actually feel to be in a totally new place, a jungle, that is filled with hostile minions of an elder Dragon who wants to kill you.

Agreed. I never felt lost in orr. I felt like i could just run in circles with my eyes closed and I’d be ok. That’s not a good thing.