affordability of HoT

affordability of HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ANGEL BLAZE.2537

ANGEL BLAZE.2537

Please let me know what happens to my GW2 if i am unable to afford expansion pack but wish to carry on playing GW2

affordability of HoT

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Nothing.
You can keep playing as usual.
The current zones will still be playable.
The new WvW changes (including the new map) will be playable.
The new sPvP mode will be playable.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Cheeky Wizard.7496

Cheeky Wizard.7496

Please let me know what happens to my GW2 if i am unable to afford expansion pack but wish to carry on playing GW2

I can’t believe that this expansion is pricing players out of the game. This game is truly becoming an art for elitists. Not just in price but in in- game politics too.

My heart simply saddens the more I learn about Heart of Thorns, as these thorns have truly scratched this gaming community. This will become a thorn in everyone’s side.

affordability of HoT

lordkrall.7241

I can’t believe that this expansion is pricing players out of the game. This game is truly becoming an art for elitists. Not just in price but in in- game politics too.

My heart simply saddens the more I learn about Heart of Thorns, as these thorns have truly scratched this gaming community. This will become a thorn in everyone’s side.

Gaming is a luxury. There are billions of people in the world that do not have the money to play computer games.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

affordability of HoT

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

Even though money is tight, I was willing to buy HoT. But then it turned out there won’t be any dungeons and thief spec won’t be rifle, so I’ve pretty much gone from waiting for a half price sale to not caring at all.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

But then it turned out there won’t be any dungeons and thief spec won’t be rifle, so I’ve pretty much gone from waiting for a half price sale to not caring at all.

Concerning dungeons: We know that there will be ‘challenging group content’ and that Anet hired a raid designed a while back. What this content will be however is unknown. We do know that the Wyvern is not part of this content however. So challening group content might be dungeons or raids or open world bosses (similar to the Vinewrath and Tequatl), we just don’t know.

Concerning the thief elite specialiation: Them not getting rifles is speculation based on datamined artwork. Although, to be fair, them getting rifles was only speculation based on a thief-like character holding a rifle in the HoT trailer, which could’ve been an engineer. Either way, there is no conclusive evidence.

affordability of HoT

lordkrall.7241

Even though money is tight, I was willing to buy HoT. But then it turned out there won’t be any dungeons and thief spec won’t be rifle, so I’ve pretty much gone from waiting for a half price sale to not caring at all.

Until something is actually announced we can’t really say what the specializaion will be.

Keep in mind that we “knew” that Elementalist specialization would be Sword, but nowadays it seems to point more towards Warhorn.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

We do not know thief spec isnt rifle. Datamining does not equate fact. It might be rifle, it might be staff. It might be neither.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

You could save it up or you could go without something like going out to dinner. Now don’t take this post the wrong way but there may be things you never have thought of to get the expansion. You most likely still have a few of months before it come out and you don’t realy have to buy it now you could wait till you can save or afford it. It’s not just the GuildWars expansion but most game expansions are at the same price point and some have a subscription fee also, so this is not an unreasonable price. I’m not rich either and don’t have a lot of disposable cash to throw around, but I knew this was coming and I started saving up for it and was able to buy the $99 version. Like I said there is still time to raise the money the only reason to get it now is to get into the betas. There’s no real good reason to get into the beta except to get a into the game early and most likely we will lose all the progression in the beta and have to start over once the expansion goes live anyway.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

affordability of HoT

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

But then it turned out there won’t be any dungeons and thief spec won’t be rifle, so I’ve pretty much gone from waiting for a half price sale to not caring at all.

Firstly, we don’t know whether or not there will be dungeons. While not confirmed, we can assume the ‘challenging group content’ they’ve yet to go into is instanced content:

Simply put: we haven’t announced it yet – when we’re ready to show everything about our plans for challenging content for HoT, we’ll announce it.

Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement – I will add we want our open world content experience to be more challenging as well just in general.

Source

As for the data-mining, everyone assumed that Ele was going to be getting a main-hand sword, but now new data-mining throws up the speculation that they may be getting a warhorn.

Not to mention this.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I can’t believe that there are people in the world without the money management skills to be able to afford to save up $50 over the course of the several months that it will take for HoT to release.

If you can’t afford to buy HoT, you likely have far more pressing things to be focusing on than playing GW2

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

affordability of HoT

rapthorne.7345

Firstly, we don’t know whether or not there will be dungeons. While not confirmed, we can assume the ‘challenging group content’ they’ve yet to go into is instanced content:

Simply put: we haven’t announced it yet – when we’re ready to show everything about our plans for challenging content for HoT, we’ll announce it.

Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement – I will add we want our open world content experience to be more challenging as well just in general.

Source

As for the data-mining, everyone assumed that Ele was going to be getting a main-hand sword, but now new data-mining throws up the speculation that they may be getting a warhorn.

Not to mention this.

This.

Data mining is extraction of in-progress work from the client. It could change at any time for any reason. Anyone taking datamining as absolute fact will, sooner or later, be very sorely disappointed.

Always be speculative and careful with datamined info, as it is absolutely never set in stone. Look at the recent switch in speculation from tempest sword to WH at the moment, for example. In the end, who knows – Ele might even get a pistol and toolkits (Doubt it, but it’s always a possibility)

affordability of HoT

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

I can’t believe that there are people in the world without the money management skills to be able to afford to save up $50 over the course of the several months that it will take for HoT to release.

If you can’t afford to buy HoT, you likely have far more pressing things to be focusing on than playing GW2

The world is a big place and in some countries people get that much money after 8 days of work and that is in well off countries like Bulgaria and Russia in many others you need to work 1 month to get so many.
The life of those people should not be stress and struggle all the time they do not work less then any others and should relax with a video game also.

affordability of HoT

rapthorne.7345

The world is a big place and in some countries people get that much money after 8 days of work and that is in well off countries like Bulgaria and Russia in many others you need to work 1 month to get so many.
The life of those people should not be stress and struggle all the time they do not work less then any others and should relax with a video game also.

There are plenty of F2P games on the market. GW2 is B2P and the quality of it reflects that.

Anet will not make concessions for people too poor to purchase their product, because the majority of people that play have the means to keep playing (The joys of a B2P game).

If you are genuinely struggling with money, you can stay with the base GW2 game, nothing’s forcing anyone to upgrade.

If you are on a low income but love and want to support the game, then save up and learn money management, it’s not hard to do. I’m on a low income myself but I manage my money well and can easily afford to buy GW2 HoT ultimate on top of regularly buying gems.

affordability of HoT

lordkrall.7241

But isn’t that kind of the point though? If $50 is too much once a year, maybe playing computer games isn’t really the thing you should be worrying about in the first place?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

affordability of HoT

adormtil.1605

There are plenty of F2P games on the market. GW2 is B2P and the quality of it reflects that.

Anet will not make concessions for people too poor to purchase their product, because the majority of people that play have the means to keep playing (The joys of a B2P game).

If you are genuinely struggling with money, you can stay with the base GW2 game, nothing’s forcing anyone to upgrade.

If you are on a low income but love and want to support the game, then save up and learn money management, it’s not hard to do. I’m on a low income myself but I manage my money well and can easily afford to buy GW2 HoT ultimate on top of regularly buying gems.

You know what the problem with quality is? It is subjective as art is. You can not say objectively that GW2 as B2P is better then a F2P .
As I mentioned in another topic the most profitable MMO is F2P and has ten’s of millions of active players.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

This is ridiculous … $50 has been a ‘pretty standard price for gaming since as far back as I can remember; the fact that gaming exists for decades indicates $50 is not an excessive or unreasonable price. If people are priced out of gaming because of $50, they need to re-evaluate there financial priorities. $50 is not a price point for ’elitists’.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Save £5 a week and in 7 weeks you can afford it.

affordability of HoT

rapthorne.7345

You know what the problem with quality is? It is subjective as art is. You can not say objectively that GW2 as B2P is better then a F2P .
As I mentioned in another topic the most profitable MMO is F2P and has ten’s of millions of active players.

League gets it’s money from sponsorship deals and advertising contracts as well as ticket sales from it’s Esport events, it has almost nothing to do with the standard playerbase and everything to do with the pro scene.

Not sure what that has to do with what I’m saying, though.

affordability of HoT

adormtil.1605

League gets it’s money from sponsorship deals and advertising contracts as well as ticket sales from it’s Esport events, it has almost nothing to do with the standard playerbase and everything to do with the pro scene.

Its not League of Legend that MMO I was reffering to. Also is not GW2 in the Esport thing?

affordability of HoT

rapthorne.7345

Its not League of Legend that MMO I was reffering to. Also is not GW2 in the Esport thing?

GW2 has twitch streamed tournaments of a few thousand views. League (which is the most profitable MMO in the world, so you’re misinformed with whatever else you’re thinking) has stadiums full of people attending events to watch their tournaments live and millions of concurrent views worldwide when they host tournaments.

GW2 esports and LoL esports is like comparing a local club to an international all star team.

If you’re referring to Tera, which I think you may be, then tera’s success rides mostly on the nature of the game and the fact that it’s the first of it’s genre (ie, a “true” action MMORPG) but tera is steadily losing players over the grind and the fact that the era of the action game has arrived. There are new action MMO’s being released every month, and a myriad of martial arts MMO’s released last year (at least 5 I can think of off the top of my head).

Tera is also not truly F2P, it’s a freemium game that used to be subscription based (ie, free but with optional subscription, but used to be mandatory sub). And Tera has about 18 million registrations, but that’s worldwide and includes every bot account ever banned, every person that registered but never tried it, and every person that’s quit, not active players

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

affordability of HoT

adormtil.1605

http://mmos.com/editorials/most-profitable-mmos-mmorpgs
This is the list of the most profitable MMO there are and I will ask you this if any is gonna wanna watch it. What do most of those games have in common?

affordability of HoT

lordkrall.7241

This is the list of the most profitable MMO there are and I will ask you this if any is gonna wanna watch it. What do most of those games have in common?

Not being MMOs? ^^

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

affordability of HoT

adormtil.1605

Not being MMOs? ^^

No their massively multiplayer online games note the lack of RPG.

affordability of HoT

lordkrall.7241

Except that they aren’t.
They are lobby games. Otherwise basically every single game in the whole world with online multiplayer capabilities would be MMOs.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

affordability of HoT

rapthorne.7345

Revenue =/= profit.

Almost all on that list are competitive Multiplayer team games with corporate partnerships and international sponsored esports events. There is no gateway to entry because the normal playerbase have almost no impact at all on the game’s profits other than as consumers of advertising (skin sales and whatnot are a drop in the bucket compared to sponsorship deals)

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

affordability of HoT

adormtil.1605

Actually 5 or 6 of the 10 are competitive Multiplayer team games. The other 4 or5 are not. And from the 4 of them all only WOW is B2P.
I really do not know if Counter Strike online has such has a presence in esports events.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If a player couldn’t afford the expansion then chances are that they wouldn’t have been able to afford an MMO than charges a monthly subscription.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

They suck?

Subjective of course, but they are all games I have zero interest in.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

$50? the expac is $60 unless you want to QA Anet’s buggy pre-releases for them and have all your progress deleted at the end.

$60 for only 1 new class, 8 elite specs and a couple of new PVE zones I don’t want to play anyway IMO is a blatant ripoff.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

affordability of HoT

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

$50? the expac is $60 unless you want to QA Anet’s buggy pre-releases for them and have all your progress deleted at the end.

Where did you read that the price will be going up after pre-purchase?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

He means he’s one of these filthy infidels that plan to play revenant and doesn’t have a free character slot for it. So he’ll have to pay price in blood (of one of his characters) or shell out extra $10 for the slot.

Obviously his problem, silly sod thought revenant was meant for playing. Well if you pay extra for this additional functionality then sure. Other then that you pay for having a game with 9 professions not 8, and a rytlock reskin in LS:> No one said the 9th is be accessible from get go! The entitlement!

affordability of HoT

Posted by: whatever.4238

whatever.4238

I’m not opposed to a business making a profit. If each of us owned a business we would want fair compensation for our product. I understand that. So I am torn. In our family there are five active players. everyone says oh it’s only 50.00. no it is not. for us it is 250.00. who gets it who doesn’t? of course the kids will come first, but 50.00 a month is hard enough to swing who do we tell they can’t have the added bonus of the preorders. and don’t tell me they are kids they’ll get over it. paleeeeessse. one more thing of you like them better that’s why…even if you pull names from a hat. shivitz I need a pre-order automatic payment plan of 25 bucks a month for 10 months.
the family group is even bigger. 17 in all play this game and we are all in the same fix. we enjoy the family time together, even thou our laptops are hand me downs and refix to the point we don’t even attempt pvp and WvW is a risk to get yelled at constantly from other players who don’t understand keys get stuck. or i’m not hopping cause I want to. still the game is fun. 50 bucks is reasonable for an expansion to bring in corporate revenue. I agree but 250? I don’t think folks who are having live on-line discussions are really addressing the appropriate topic. yes 50.00 is reasonable but when a family is buying even two or more that reasonable price is quickly fluttering out the window. we left WOW because of the pricing. I always encourage the family to buy gems in game when they can, at least on person a month saying people and investors on the other end have to get paid or the game will go away…..but…you’ve put me in a pickle.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Sekhmet.6153

Sekhmet.6153

Yeah I’ll be passing on it for awhile just because I really don’t think its worth the money, especially since its not always easy to just put money aside and keep it there when there will always be something that comes up that requires emergency money like car parts or medical bills etc.

And for the people that can afford it but are commenting about people who can not: Kindly stay quiet and don’t even bother commenting to people who can’t. Regardless of “money management” skills, not everyone will be in a place where they can afford to set aside certain amounts of money. Theres no amount of “advice” you can offer that won’t just come off as being condescending or ignorant.

(edited by Sekhmet.6153)

affordability of HoT

adormtil.1605

I’m not opposed to a business making a profit. If each of us owned a business we would want fair compensation for our product. I understand that. So I am torn. In our family there are five active players. everyone says oh it’s only 50.00. no it is not. for us it is 250.00. who gets it who doesn’t? of course the kids will come first, but 50.00 a month is hard enough to swing who do we tell they can’t have the added bonus of the preorders. and don’t tell me they are kids they’ll get over it. paleeeeessse. one more thing of you like them better that’s why…even if you pull names from a hat. shivitz I need a pre-order automatic payment plan of 25 bucks a month for 10 months.
the family group is even bigger. 17 in all play this game and we are all in the same fix. we enjoy the family time together, even thou our laptops are hand me downs and refix to the point we don’t even attempt pvp and WvW is a risk to get yelled at constantly from other players who don’t understand keys get stuck. or i’m not hopping cause I want to. still the game is fun. 50 bucks is reasonable for an expansion to bring in corporate revenue. I agree but 250? I don’t think folks who are having live on-line discussions are really addressing the appropriate topic. yes 50.00 is reasonable but when a family is buying even two or more that reasonable price is quickly fluttering out the window. we left WOW because of the pricing. I always encourage the family to buy gems in game when they can, at least on person a month saying people and investors on the other end have to get paid or the game will go away…..but…you’ve put me in a pickle.

Well the F2P model is more profitable as I shown they could make profit without charging for the expansion probably even more. People keep telling me that Anet knows best but I doubt that so much.
According to the forum the sales will not be huge.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Well the F2P model is more profitable as I shown they could make profit without charging for the expansion probably even more. People keep telling me that Anet knows best but I doubt that so much.

Guild Wars 2 is mainly delivered to the western gaming world. GW2 in China has a different price. Also, because a few F2P games are making a huge profit, obviously doesn’t mean Guild Wars 2 would do the same. Also because of the whole notion of F2P it isn’t unlikely that the content in those games is tailored towards that plan.
I don’t think it’s as easy to say “Oh! They are doing it! Let’s do the same and we get the same result!” Many people tried to copy things from WoW. And you know how that went.same with F2P. There are dozens upon dozens of free2play MMOs. And I bet 99% of them aren’t that good and have not the gameplay and most of all aren’t that succesful.

While everyone would be able to play Guild Wars 2 if it were free to play, it’s a huge gamble for ArenaNet financially. Seeing the forum here, and most reactions, I think some sort of more secure method is to offer it for a certain price. Considering the amount of development costs ArenaNet has, a certain degree of certainty in making money greatly outweighs betting on a system where it might be likely not many will pay.
Either way, arenanet most likely has done the calculations themselves, and set this price.
Also, this is the prepurchase price. Most likely it will be cheaper in certain countries at retailers. You can’t sit on the first row for a dime.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

……

I would not gauge ANYTHING to do with this game based on these Forums…..this is a very small and nitch portion of the true player base of the game.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

affordability of HoT

Obtena.7952

Could be, but that’s not their business model so whatever you think you have shown isn’t relevant. Anet knows enough to run a game for 3 years, and likely more than that … and that’s enough. If you doubt, you haven’t considered all the factors here; primarily the fact that real businesses like NCSoft are still behind the game.

Furthermore, if you think forums is an indicator of anything, I question your experience with MMO’s in general.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

affordability of HoT

adormtil.1605

Could be, but that’s not their business model so whatever you think you have shown isn’t relevant. Anet knows enough to run a game for 3 years, and likely more than that … and that’s enough. If you doubt, you haven’t considered all the factors here; primarily the fact that real businesses like NCSoft are still behind the game.

Furthermore, if you think forums is an indicator of anything, I question your experience with MMO’s in general.

Then check reddit its the second most popular topic the first being about builds.And yes I did not had overwhelming experience with MMO just 3 SWTOR, GW2 and Neverwinter online and in SWTOR people told them that the game is boring for end game and when most will get there the game will lose subscribers. They said give more content for end game they did not listen and after 1 year when the hype was over they announced going F2P because that was the only way they could make profit since subscriptions where not enough. Sure it has the worst F2P model but one thing is sure they still survive and expand making small expansion once or twice a year and making them free when the a new expansion appears.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

You could save it up or you could go without something like going out to dinner. Now don’t take this post the wrong way but there may be things you never have thought of to get the expansion. You most likely still have a few of months before it come out and you don’t realy have to buy it now you could wait till you can save or afford it. It’s not just the GuildWars expansion but most game expansions are at the same price point and some have a subscription fee also, so this is not an unreasonable price. I’m not rich either and don’t have a lot of disposable cash to throw around, but I knew this was coming and I started saving up for it and was able to buy the $99 version. Like I said there is still time to raise the money the only reason to get it now is to get into the betas. There’s no real good reason to get into the beta except to get a into the game early and most likely we will lose all the progression in the beta and have to start over once the expansion goes live anyway.

This.

There was plenty of advance announcement that anyone could have started saving and had a substantial amount towards the expansion they wanted. All of us spend money on things we may not really need on a daily basis. Keep track of everything (yes, everything) you spend over a week and you might be amazed at what you can eliminate and have a bit to put aside for something you really want. If you really are that strapped for money then you have bigger issues and probably need to refocus on things other than gaming.

Other options would be to ask for the expansion as a birthday gift, or when the gift giving holidays come up. We do that with gem cards which make great gifts for gamers and we are always tickled to receive them.

The beta part of the expansion is only something nice to do so if you cannot afford it now it really is not that important and as Feirlista said your progress would not be saved. If you did not get into any of the other betas there are a lot of videos out there that will give you a preview of some of what is coming or at least what that beta had in it. Also what was done in beta is not set in stone so the end product may be different anyway. Certainly by saving even now you should have enough by the time the expansion does actually come out to get the one you want.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Honestly though, if you can’t afford a 50 dollar expac, you have much bigger problems on your plate than that.

edit: lol@profanity filter sometimes, $50 is verboten after ‘a’

(edited by Windsagio.1340)

affordability of HoT

Obtena.7952

Then check reddit its the second most popular topic the first being about builds.

Here, let me repeat this replacing Forums wtih Reddit:

… if you think Reddit is an indicator of anything, I question your experience with MMO’s in general. I don’t believe a significant portion of the MMO people actual ‘play’ on the forum, reddit, whatever you can think of. Many people just play in game. In addition, people who are happy with the game will be less apt to make a post about it than someone who is not; therefore, you will see the majority of threads and posts being negative. The forum is biased this way. Think about it a minute.

I0 don’t even get the relevance of your anecdote about SWTOR; GW2 has always been F2P and better than how SWTOR does it now. GW2 didn’t have to be reborn to F2P to survive like SWTOR; it had a sound business model right out of the gate and will continue to do so because reasonable people understand how cheap it is to play and like the content, the mechanics, etc…

(edited by Obtena.7952)

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Luke.1402

Luke.1402

I’d recommend to just wait , if you’re patient. I bought GW2 around 70$ when it came out. A few months ago before the new exp I checked on the price of GW2 and it has dropped down to around 30$. I’m not buying GW2 EXP until the price drops abit more. If it doesn’t happen in between 2-3 months, I guess I’m buying it. But for now, you can wait patiently, or just deal with it.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

Honestly though, if you can’t afford a 50 dollar expac, you have much bigger problems on your plate than that.

edit: lol@profanity filter sometimes, $50 is verboten after ‘a’

It’s because the symbols A $ and 5 form a word that means your bottom

Glorious Human Master Race

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I am astonished that some of the people in this thread think they are getting good value for their money, when they pay the exact same price as the core game, and yet get a small expansion for it that does not even include a free extra character slot (unless you register before launch).

You are basically paying twice as much money as you did for the original game, in terms of actual content. That is a rip off. And yet some people in here have the nerve to make accusations regarding people’s financial situation because they think $50 is too much. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

affordability of HoT

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I payed around 200€ for the CE and 100 for the Addon. So it’s half the price for me. I can afford 100 CEs if I want. I don’t care, really. I feel sorry for those who can’t though…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

I payed around 200€ for the CE and 100 for the Addon. So it’s half the price for me. I can afford 100 CEs if I want. I don’t care, really. I feel sorry for those who can’t though…

Such swag. You can spank me all night long.

affordability of HoT

adormtil.1605

Then check reddit its the second most popular topic the first being about builds.

… if you think Reddit is an indicator of anything, I question your experience with MMO’s in general. I don’t believe a significant portion of the MMO people actual ‘play’ on the forum, reddit, whatever you can think of. Many people just play in game. In addition, people who are happy with the game will be less apt to make a post about it than someone who is not; therefore, you will see the majority of threads and posts being negative. The forum is biased this way. Think about it a minute.

I0 don’t even get the relevance of your anecdote about SWTOR; GW2 has always been F2P and better than how SWTOR does it now. GW2 didn’t have to be reborn to F2P to survive like SWTOR; it had a sound business model right out of the gate and will continue to do so because reasonable people understand how cheap it is to play and like the content, the mechanics, etc…

Do you have any idea how many people do you need to be significant from lets say 3 million players that play the game?Its not even 1% its that small even smaller. do you think all those studies for all kind of crap like how many adults pick their nose are made to millions? no they are made to a couple of thousands actually 1000 and only hundreds of answers could be used from hundreds of millions.
Also in another thread if you wanna watch you will see that GW2 had very very small sales after the first year.

affordability of HoT

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Do you have any idea how many people do you need to be significant from lets say 3 million players that play the game?Its not even 1% its that small even smaller. do you think all those studies for all kind of crap like how many adults pick their nose are made to millions? no they are made to a couple of thousands actually 1000 and only hundreds of answers could be used from hundreds of millions.

That is only true if the sample you use has about the same demographic composition as the population you are studying.

affordability of HoT

adormtil.1605

That is only true if the sample you use has about the same demographic composition as the population you are studying.

So between age X and Y with % being male and % female and other factors. But why would the forum have only people on the extreme? Like a bigger % being between age X are on the forum then they are in the game a way bigger percentage.