Alph, Blig, ??? - The Krytan Alphabet

in Lore

Posted by: LoCo.8012

LoCo.8012

The amount of detailed writing in Guild Wars 2 astounds me at times. From warning signs to notices of commerce and the daily menus at small establishments (sadly mostly in Divinity’s Reach), New Krytan is visually represented in full detail for just that little bit of immersion in the game’s setting.

Even though it’s just a visual substitution cypher. A neat one, though!

But for the longest time, I’ve been wondering just what the Tyrians call the Krytan characters, themselves. I’ve kinda, sorta settled on using the common designations of letters in our world, but then I see all manner of other designations, in the game itself, for letters. So that leaves me wondering what the other letters are called.

What names do the letters go by in Tyria? I think I got a few of them down pat, notedly Alph, Blig, Nopp, Scoln and Zhed, but this could well be silly conjecture on my part. Think we can fill in 25, 26 letters in all? Do you also remember what the source of that might be? Help a roleplayer out who cares too much about their dumb immersion!

(and let’s hope I can still edit this post after posting because boy howdy will I look dumb if I can’t edit this post with the finds of other people later)

• A, Alph, source
  • B, Blig, source
  • C, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • D, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • E, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • F, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • G, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • H, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • I, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • J, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • K, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • L, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • M, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • N, Nopp, source
  • O, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • P, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • Q, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • R, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • S, Scoln, source
  • T, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • U, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • V, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • W, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • X, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • Y, ???, [url=]source[/url]
  • Z, Zhed, source; Zuhl, source

(edited by LoCo.8012)

in Lore

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I dont know about the others, but the centaur trebuchet Zhed could be a nod toward a hero of Guild Wars: Nightfall, Zhed Shadowhoof.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Zhed_Shadowhoof

in Lore

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

How sure are we that these are letters of the alphabet? Blig and Nopp both come from events in Metrica Province, and so could easily be asura given names. Same goes for Zhed, which is seen in the Harathi Hinterlands and could be named for the centaur hero Zhed Shadowhoof.

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

in Lore

Posted by: LoCo.8012

LoCo.8012

Good points, those. As I said, it might well be conjecture on my part, anyway.

Suppose there’s also Zuhl as a more likely candidate for the designation of Z.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Given the name of the jumping puzzle, Zuhl is likely a name or adjective.

The other three aside from Alph and Zhed (the latter being a highly likely nod to the NF character, as mentioned, making the first a likely case of being the name of another centuar), appear to be asuran names.

Likely these are all cases of centaur and asuran names being used for points, and if they’re used for alphabet designation it would be for their respective alphabets, not New Krytan.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.