Did Glint forsee Balthazar's involvement?

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I wonder if Glint foresaw Balthazar’s involvement with the elder dragons. I don’t think she did.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Given how surprised both the Zephyrites and the Exalted were by the Mordrem rising, I suspect that Glint’s predictions got thrown off by Scarlet – Glint’s predictions seem to have involved Aurene being able to hatch and be raised in reasonable safety in Tarir for at least a period of time until Tarir needs to be abandoned (most likely, because of Mordremoth’s scheduled awakening time approaching). Which pretty much means that everything that’s happened since is off-script.

Which doesn’t mean her plan won’t work, but it does mean that if she left any additional prophecies behind, they’re about as useful as Hari Seldon’s after the Mule in the Foundation series.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I wouldn’t be so sure. “A Study in Gold”: has the statement “We raised this haven at the edge of Mordremoth’s jungle, but no Elder Dragon can touch us here. Our magic shields the city from them.”

This implies they expected Mordremoth to rise while Tarir is inhabited, Further, thanks to Scarlet Mordremoth actually woke up “on time” rather than “early” if one considers Jormag and Zhaitan having woken up on time as well. Add into the fact that the Zephyrites only began heading to Tarir after Mordremoth woke up rather than, say, when Kralkatorrik woke, and it seems reasonable to believe they wanted to put the egg right in front of Mordremoth for whatever reason.

That said, her plans and all foreseen knowledge were definitely based on the Elder Dragons and not the gods’ involvement. There’s no reason to believe that she knew of Balthazar – she isn’t all knowing after all.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Unfortunately, Scarlet Briar had already awakened Mordremoth, and the Jungle Dragon’s colonization of Maguuma was well underway. The Exalted discovered the jungle was even more dangerous than they remembered and that allies they had made among Maguuma’s residents were missing, perhaps gone forever. Worst of all, they found an implacable and voracious horde of dragon minions eager to seize as much magic as they could for their master. The Exalted watched with sadness and horror as Mordremoth destroyed the Pact fleet, and some even wondered if their august duty was doomed to fail just as it was truly getting started.

From here.

To me, this comes across as the Exalted not having planned for this state of affairs. The line you quote indicates that they have the shields to protect against attack, but they’re probably thinking more about smaller-scale attacks from the dragons that are already awake (particularly Primordus) rather than the sieges we see in Auric Basin.

Regarding the Zephyrites… I’m inclined to think that they were following a schedule triggered by Glint’s death rather than Mordremoth’s awakening. The Zephyrites didn’t exactly seem to be planning for a flight over hostile territory, but for a peaceful trip (never mind that Aerin brought them down on the edge of Mordremoth’s region of influence).

So my interpretation is that they weren’t expecting Mordremoth to rise until Aurene was ready to move.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Then why the whole “raised this haven at the edge of Mordremoth’s jungle”? They knew exactly where they were building Tarir. They knew that Mordremoth would wake eventually, and they had to have had an approximate timeline given that Tarir was built around Primordus’ and the DSD’s awakening, after Primordus had already tried to wake up once. So they knew Mordremoth would be waking within 200 to 250 years from that point in time.

They might have been off from a few years, but it seems they had every intention of being within reach of Mordremoth with the egg. It’s even heavily implied the egg only hatched so soon because of Mordremoth’s death, due to the magical influx.

If Mordremoth waking up and being killed had no relation to Glint’s plan, then why would they build Tarir so close to Mordremoth? Why build it so close to any Elder Dragon for that matter, if they are nothing but an obstacle? Why not build Tarir in Dzalana, or the Woodland Cascades? Why not in Cantha, to be safeguarded by Kuunavang (presuming that Glint and Kuunavang would be allies)? Or even in the Battle Isles (the Zaishen likely wouldn’t oppose building a safeguard against six world ending monstrocities)?

The very location implies that Glint had known of Mordremoth’s waking and death, since we know she knew of Mordremoth’s location.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Then why the whole “raised this haven at the edge of Mordremoth’s jungle”? They knew exactly where they were building Tarir. They knew that Mordremoth would wake eventually, and they had to have had an approximate timeline given that Tarir was built around Primordus’ and the DSD’s awakening, after Primordus had already tried to wake up once. So they knew Mordremoth would be waking within 200 to 250 years from that point in time.

Simple – they knew that the area would be within Mordremoth’s influence when he rose.

While we haven’t heard anything from the other locations you raise, they likely have their own dangers. It’s ambiguous whether the Battle Isles even exist any more (prerelease information indicates they were destroyed by Zhaitan’s tsunami), and they likely wanted it to be somewhere secret and away from civilisation to avoid someone being tempted to raid the place. Anywhere in or near Elona carries Joko-related risks, and who knows what risks there might be in the Woodland Cascades?

Tarir’s location may well have been chosen on the basis of being a ley nexus that was isolated from most potential threats… until Mordremoth rises.

What we’re told certainly seems to indicate that the Exalted were not expecting Mordremoth’s minions to be up and active before they were.

(Plus, it’s a low blow I know, but we know that the achievement has already had to be fixed for one mistake they made. There may be others in there that haven’t been picked up on because we don’t have the information to know they were mistakes.)

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Most likely Glint works like every other clayvorance, only able to grasp a rough possible direction instead of the whole picture.

She might not have been able to perceive things in detail, but only draw conclusions based on big waves she has seen:

• Mursaat will rise again in LA
  • The Titans will come back
  • Mordremoth will wake up in the Maguuma jungle.

If we expect all her doing being a probability calculation (like allowing Destinies Edge to help fight against Kralkratorik, which was hindered by something unexpected and small like a swaying human heart and was also an impromptu situation), then everything after her dead isn’t updated.

Her calculations and predictions only reach towards her dead and last involvment with the world.
If we expect every other beeing in the world also reacting to the changes Glint does with her preperations, then Mordremoth indoctrination of Scarlet right after Glints dead (i believe it was 2-3 years?) is not within her calculations.

in Lore

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

i wish we could communicate with glint in the mists and ask her

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Let’s ask Rhytlock.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Let’s ask Rhytlock.

“Later, cub.”

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Let’s ask Rhytlock.

“Later, cub.”

Argh, i couldn’t remember his exact words… I always had wolverins Bub in my head…