Fate of the Pale Tree (S2 spoilers)

in Lore

Posted by: Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

Title says it all, I am wondering if the Pale Tree survived the attack in season 2? It seemed to be a major plot point going into HoT but while I haven’t played the content ingame ( been busy sadly) I have been following the lore and story updates and haven’t seen anything that deals with her fate. The Wiki is strangely doesn’t even mention the attack on her info page.

I would be disheartened if Anet just dropped an important event or just hand waved it away as this is a pretty big deal.

If the later episodes or HoT does explain her fate please don’t spoil, just give me the affirmation that it does get investigated.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

It does come up- touched on in the main story, and given more attention in one of the Current Events.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

Ozgar Heavyhammer.6701

It does come up- touched on in the main story, and given more attention in one of the Current Events.

Thanks

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Once your character completes HoT you get a mail which starts a short ‘quest’/collection that addresses this and a couple of other sylvari-related things that were left open at the end of the main HoT story.

Specifically it’s the quest to reforge Caladbolg using the broken one you receive at the end of HoT. The Pale Tree is mentioned early on and at the end you get to speak to her briefly and learn that she’s recovering, but slowly.

I have to admit I was surprised she wasn’t recovering/almost fully recovered by the start of the HoT storyline, but that’s because I was mainly focused on the (lack of) physical damage to the actual tree and didn’t realise at the time one of Mordremoth’s domains is the mind and it was more of a psychic attack, which explains why her avatar seemed more badly affected than she did. (Well, that and I’m not sure how easy it would be to change the actual tree or how often players actually look at it.)

I suppose they wanted her out of action before the revelation about the sylvari so she couldn’t answer our questions or help us track/fight Mordremoth.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Lore

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

It’s one of several loose ends that really needed to be addressed but were never really picked up again either in HoT or afterwards. The “current event” does mention her very briefly and IMO is done well considering how short it is, but we — especially sylvari players — still never get to ask the burning question of why she didn’t warn anyone before the Pact fleet sailed to its death.

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s one of several loose ends that really needed to be addressed but were never really picked up again either in HoT or afterwards. The “current event” does mention her very briefly and IMO is done well considering how short it is, but we — especially sylvari players — still never get to ask the burning question of why she didn’t warn anyone before the Pact fleet sailed to its death.

She couldn’t.

She was attacked during the Summit and at that point we hadn’t even gotten as far as Silverwastes and the plan was pretty much ‘we must fight this dragon’.

The plan to focus on an aerial assault, sending ships over the jungle to find and attack the dragon immediately instead of going in over land/sea and looking for ways to weaken it first like we did with Zhaitan wasn’t worked out until later.

And from the Summit onward the Pale Tree was unable to communicate. Outside of The Dream she can only speak to the sylvari through her Avatar and she was too wounded to maintain it. It’s hard to tell because, well, she’s a tree, but it’s possible she was unconscious the entire time we were fighting Mordremoth.

I actually think that’s why they had the dragon attack her and why she was out of it for so long. Because otherwise she would have warned us and we’d have found another way to attack, with the full strength of the Pact and all the allied races…which would be a much better battle plan but a much less interesting story with a far lesser role for our character.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Lore

Chadramar.8156

She was capable of telling her attendants to summon us, and giving us those memory seeds. That would have been plenty of time to gasp out a warning instead of sending us on a wild goose chase.

Plus, I don’t think it’s too unreasonable that a grieving sylvari who lost much of her life’s work (i.e. the Pact), had many of her own siblings turn against her, was treated with suspicion and hostility even by so-called friends, was forced to mercy-kill Trahearne, and all the while had Mordremoth trying to twist their soul inside out might want answers, or be angry with their mother even though they still love and worry for her too.

It’s the same with Caithe: we can hold her responsible for her theft of the egg and general erratic behavior, but not for refusing to warn us about the dragon. If the Pale Tree was incapable of talking, Caithe at least should have warned Trahearne and the Commander. Withholding information is a killer.

in Lore

Posted by: SunRain.8972

SunRain.8972

She was capable of telling her attendants to summon us, and giving us those memory seeds. That would have been plenty of time to gasp out a warning instead of sending us on a wild goose chase.

Plus, I don’t think it’s too unreasonable that a grieving sylvari who lost much of her life’s work (i.e. the Pact), had many of her own siblings turn against her, was treated with suspicion and hostility even by so-called friends, was forced to mercy-kill Trahearne, and all the while had Mordremoth trying to twist their soul inside out might want answers, or be angry with their mother even though they still love and worry for her too.

It’s the same with Caithe: we can hold her responsible for her theft of the egg and general erratic behavior, but not for refusing to warn us about the dragon. If the Pale Tree was incapable of talking, Caithe at least should have warned Trahearne and the Commander. Withholding information is a killer.

Caithe is described alot of times as erratic in her behavior and attitude, even in the story dungeons its mildly shown by her attitude and the words she chooses towards Destinies Edge. The problem is its hard to elaborate the entire racial identity so much and give Sylvari so much route during the living world or personal story that is why they get bits of new dialog instead. I hope they will bring back the racial stories at some point back to expand on that.

“From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.” – Yehuda Amichai

in Lore

Chadramar.8156

So do I, but unfortunately I don’t think they ever will, seeing as how even race-specific dialog lines are few and far between and how the writing just keep moving further away from treating the player character as the protagonist.

The “Why didn’t the Pale Tree and Caithe warn us?!” will definitely remain an eternal and likely eternally unresolved plot issue for me, anyway, especially as a sylvari main.