Grawl and bloodstone

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

This is just an idea, not something that’s in game in any form at the moment.
I am just considering how likely.. or remotely possible.. this idea is.

Grawl love to worship gods, given the token of worship can prove it’s godlike nature.
So I was thinking, how possible would it be, if a Bloodstone landed in the far shiverpeaks,
a Shaman of Frost would entice the Grawl to worship it.
Of course he wouldn’t tell them directly as the Grawl wouldn’t believe a mortal. But say he corrupted a (lesser) Spirit of the Wild to appear before the Grawl and entice them to make bloodoffers at the Bloodstone for their ‘God’ which the Shaman of Frost would then rituallicy corrupt for Jormag. Like, in a way the Bloodstone is broken and
already no longer functions for it’s original goal, so all magic absorbed leaks out,
for the taking by Jormag? If it’s possible, would a shaman go that far? It sounds like an
easy and reliable flow of magic for the Serpent to feast on.

Would such a scenario be possible, is what I wonder?

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I don’t think this is plausible. While there is that one event in Wayfarer Foothills that has a norn set up a new statue for the grawl to worship, no one ever tells the grawl “This is your new god! Worship it!” It has to be a grawl shaman to persuade his followers to worship a god – which is far from a difficult task. But a single bloodstone shard wouldn’t be enough to get grawl to worship it. It either needs to be a statue of some sort, or some other impressive display. If the other bloodstones are anything like the one we saw back in the Maguuma Jungle in GW1, it’s not that impressive and the grawl wouldn’t worship it.

If a Son of Svanir really wanted to turn grawl to the power of Jormag, they either keep making dragon statues (which a few tribes do worship), or just turn them all to Icebrood. They wouldn’t need a bloodstone, and really don’t need an elaborate plot to convince them.

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

I don’t think this is plausible. While there is that one event in Wayfarer Foothills that has a norn set up a new statue for the grawl to worship, no one ever tells the grawl “This is your new god! Worship it!” It has to be a grawl shaman to persuade his followers to worship a god – which is far from a difficult task. But a single bloodstone shard wouldn’t be enough to get grawl to worship it. It either needs to be a statue of some sort, or some other impressive display. If the other bloodstones are anything like the one we saw back in the Maguuma Jungle in GW1, it’s not that impressive and the grawl wouldn’t worship it.

If a Son of Svanir really wanted to turn grawl to the power of Jormag, they either keep making dragon statues (which a few tribes do worship), or just turn them all to Icebrood. They wouldn’t need a bloodstone, and really don’t need an elaborate plot to convince them.

I’m not not talking about a shard, I’m talking about a full on bloodstone
A 50 meter radius giant disc with red glowing patterns and giant spires of bloodstone crystal. A grawl’s gotta be enticed by it.
I was considering it because something similar happened in GW1, where a group of Ettin.. well, I wouldn’t say worship, but really like a bloodstone, hidden deep in the Sparkfly Fen. (I think it was there, at least)

I was just thinking that a bloodstone would be much more up Jormag’s lane than a bunch of statues, as the bloodstone already contains and regulates so much magic.

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

A 50 meter radius giant disc with red glowing patterns and giant spires of bloodstone crystal. A grawl’s gotta be enticed by it.
I was considering it because something similar happened in GW1, where a group of Ettin.. well, I wouldn’t say worship, but really like a bloodstone, hidden deep in the Sparkfly Fen. (I think it was there, at least)

I was just thinking that a bloodstone would be much more up Jormag’s lane than a bunch of statues, as the bloodstone already contains and regulates so much magic.

Maybe, but they’d be better off convincing the grawl to worship Jormag, or one of Jormag’s lieutenants, and then have the shaman order them to commit sacrifices. Or the shaman could make the sacrifices himself. There’s no need for grawl middlemen, and as minions go, they leave much to be desired.

On the bigger question of Jormag worshipers using a bloodstone at all- first they need to find one. One’s buried under the Steamspurs, well south of anywhere we’ve seen the Sons operating. Another, last we saw it, was in the Ring of Fire, which means it’s right on top of Primordus now. The other two we have no leads on, but if the dispersal pattern holds, they’re at the bottom of the Unending Ocean somewhere, even farther away. And that’s without considering the fan theory that there’s something about the bloodstones that prevents them from being eaten by dragons. They were originally built to keep magic safe from the dragons, after all, and we’ve seen that Zhaitan didn’t consume the bloodstone shards he obtained. Mordremoth also ignored the one in the Fen, even though it was well within his reach… although that, perhaps, is because he didn’t want to take on the Mantle before he’d subdued the opposition from the Itzel and Nuhoch. On the other hand, that didn’t stop him from provoking every major nation on Tyria by attacking their leaders…

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Why make the grawl worship the Bloodstone? If the Sons of Svanir wanted to manipulate the grawl – and they’ve shown they indeed do (see bottom of post) – then they’d push for the worship of Jormag and its dragon champions instead.

The grawl could easily discover a Bloodstone and worship it themselves, though. They have a natural history of finding odd but natural rock formations to revere, as well as unnatural rock formations.

In addition, the size of the Bloodstones and the distances of the three known Bloodstones from Abaddon’s Mouth volcano would imply that if another Bloodstone landed on land, it’s in Scavenger’s Causeway (and either the last or both of the last are likely underwater – either in the Sea of Sorrows or the Clashing Seas). There is the Shiverpeak Bloodstones, but that’s in the unexplored area between Sparkfly Fen and Timberline Falls (more or less – it’s actually underground now due to it landing above a cave system and the rocks collapsing on impact, given the appearance in GW1 – while unlikely it’s plausible for the opening above the Bloodstone to have been closed off in the 250 years; unlikely because it didn’t in over 1,000 years).

So there’d be no Bloodstone close to both Sons of Svanir and Grawl – as while grawl are close to the Shiverpeak Bloodstone, the Sons of Svanir / icebrood are nowhere near the area.

I don’t think this is plausible. While there is that one event in Wayfarer Foothills that has a norn set up a new statue for the grawl to worship, no one ever tells the grawl “This is your new god! Worship it!” It has to be a grawl shaman to persuade his followers to worship a god – which is far from a difficult task.

While individuals do not often say “this is your new god, worship it!” they do say “I understand the will of your god, obey me!” and listen to the individual – see the Fireheart Rise grawl, for example.

It’s also possible to just simply put something that the grawl may worship – which a Bloodstone certainly would be – and let them take it up naturally (which is what the norn statue event you described is doing).

Just want to say this actually is the lore behind The Frozen Maw in Wayfarer Foothills.

As well as the grawl PS, which worship a dragon champion of Jormag.

The Dragon Tribe in Frostgorge Sound is another case of grawl worshiping Jormag – or rather, a champion of Jormag (specifically the various Claws of Jormag).

They were originally built to keep magic safe from the dragons, after all, and we’ve seen that Zhaitan didn’t consume the bloodstone shards he obtained. Mordremoth also ignored the one in the Fen, even though it was well within his reach… although that, perhaps, is because he didn’t want to take on the Mantle before he’d subdued the opposition from the Itzel and Nuhoch. On the other hand, that didn’t stop him from provoking every major nation on Tyria by attacking their leaders…

Mordremoth also has vines in Salvation Pass and the White Mantle forts in Silverwastes and Fort Vandal, so he definitely was provoking the White Mantle. But there’s no vines seen in Bloodstone Fen (despite vines in other post-HoT areas, being Spirit Vale and Salvation Pass, as mentioned).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I disagree with that. Bloodstones may be 50 meters in diameter, but they’re embedded in the ground. Grawl are attracted to tall objects, such as the crystals in Ascalon or statues like Badazar or Chokocooka, but would look at a rock in the ground, however large intricate, and look down on it – both literally and figuratively. So if one of the bloodstones were found by grawl, I’m pretty sure they’d just move on without desire to worship it.

However, as I type this out, I realize it’d be a very skritt thing to worship a big Shiny in the ground. And I fear very much the next time we find a bloodstone that it’ll be infested by skritt.

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

I disagree with that. Bloodstones may be 50 meters in diameter, but they’re embedded in the ground. Grawl are attracted to tall objects, such as the crystals in Ascalon or statues like Badazar or Chokocooka, but would look at a rock in the ground, however large intricate, and look down on it – both literally and figuratively. So if one of the bloodstones were found by grawl, I’m pretty sure they’d just move on without desire to worship it.

However, as I type this out, I realize it’d be a very skritt thing to worship a big Shiny in the ground. And I fear very much the next time we find a bloodstone that it’ll be infested by skritt.

They may be embedded in the ground, but they have magical shiny patterns
and not to mention the bloody huge crystals growing out of it.
https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/f/f7/Bloodstone_Caves_Level3_Bloodstone.jpg
This one looks like a proper altar. As for the skritt.. I don’t know if glowing stuff attracts them as much as shiny stuff. Maybe yes, maybe no. I don’t think the bloodstone rune itself is shiny enough for them, but maybe the leaking crystals are..

now that I think about it, I always just kind of assumed that the bloodstone crystal was leaking magic that crystalized, hence it’s called bloodstone because it’s magic is tainted with life (or soul, or whatever you call it), but it may also be called bloodstone because it was sealed with Doric’s blood. (but then why did the gods call it bloodstone before Doric’s passing)

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

It could be that the creation of the Bloodstone required blood to be created, which is why it required blood to re-seal when it came to Doric.

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

It could be that the creation of the Bloodstone required blood to be created, which is why it required blood to re-seal when it came to Doric.

We know it doesn’t require blood to maintain the bloodstones, the power just came directly from the souls and magic, as in GW1 they just sucked the life out of the people.
But indeed, maybe controlling or making the stone requires blood.

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

We know it doesn’t require blood to maintain the bloodstones, the power just came directly from the souls and magic, as in GW1 they just sucked the life out of the people.
But indeed, maybe controlling or making the stone requires blood.

Yes, I know that maintenance of the Bloodstone does not require blood. My statement was merely on the creation, as you said. We do not know how the first Bloodstone was created, but we do know that Doric’s blood was required to re-seal the magic within when the Bloodstone was [anti- kitten] shattered.

In do want to state, though, that the Bloodstone did not suck life out of people. They merely trap the souls of those killed in a close proximity to them. There was no active process of draining people of their lives.

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

(but then why did the gods call it bloodstone before Doric’s passing)

As far as we know, they didn’t. The PC/Priory refers to the pre-Six rock as the Bloodstone, but that’s just because it’s the same rock as later got the name. No different to the way we call mountain ranges the Rockies or Himalayas even when talking about the period before there were any humans around to name them.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Grawl and bloodstone

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Bloodstones may be “embedded in the ground” but they are hardly flat or even at ground level because of such. They would not necessarily be looking down at it literally.

Besides, literally looking down doesn’t stop them from worshiping a crashed asuran satellite in a crater.

(but then why did the gods call it bloodstone before Doric’s passing)

Nothing says that they did.

They’re called bloodstones because that’s what they’re called in human history. Every case of their names – even a source acknowledging the Seers making the Bloodstone says the name came from Doric’s sacrifice, not before then.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)