Mordremoth killing Elder Dragons ?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Trahearne wyld hunt was influenced by Mordremoth , leading to the defeat of Zhaitan.

This has been brought up a few times, but doesn’t seem to be the case. According to Points of Interest Episode 18 (summary linked), Wyld Hunts and Dark Hunts (the Nightmare equivalent) are not given by Mordremoth, but are instead kitten in the sylvari’s defenses against him (and presumably the other Elder Dragons depending on your interpretation of the Pale Tree’s dialogue to sylvari during Rallying Call – S2E3). If they were given by him, then he wouldn’t be using them as kitten in the defenses.

could this explain why scarlet madness ? is this what she saw in the omadd machine ?
did she see that the sylvari are Mordremoth minions ?

Supposedly, yes. But that doesn’t really explain how Scarlet knew that Caithe knew. Or, given Scarlet’s dialogue, how she knew that Caithe killed Wynne.

The green orb , AKA Mordremoth drops into tyria’s heart and a sec later it “Explodes” and consume the pink orb AKA Kralkatorrik ?

The green orb is actually Zhaitan. At least according to the Durmand Priory’s depiction of The AllThe All is what we see in that vision, btw.

And it doesn’t consume the purple orb at all – I’m not sure where you get that from.

does this mean Mordremoth Consumed/Killed/Corrupted Kralkatorrik ??

No.

at 0:24 u see some explosion with light pillars and what look like a sand storm also if u look up ull see a purple crystal type object reflecting the light (0:29).
i dont know about you but i think that Purple crystals and sandstorm = Crystal desert ?! Kralkatorrik ?!

Lets keep going at 0:40 – 0:46 u see crystal shattering and tendrils taking over .
what do u think about this ?

The crystals are Glint’s Lair. This a non-literal vision depicting Mordremoth going after Glint’s last egg – the entire point of the second half of Season 2, which will no doubt continue into HoT – as well as taking it to a golden location (most likely the Forgotten City in the Heart of Maguuma, past the Maguuma Wastes which are full of sandstorms).

All the Sudden u see purple “stuff” in the tendrils ? Could this be The Kralkatorrik Magic that got consumed by mordremoth ?

Purple is not unique to Kralkatorrik.

Abaddon had it. Mesmers have it. Lyssa has it. Zhaitan had it.

Back during the development of GW2, Jeff Grubb (head writer for ArenaNet) was asked if there was a connection between Abaddon and Kralkatorrik because of that color purple. Grubb’s response was that purple is the color of evil in Tyria.

As we see with mesmers and Lyssa, it is also the color of mind magic.

Mordremoth is the dragon of mind, and is evil.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Grubb’s response was that purple is the color of evil in Tyria.

He actually said that??

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: Kossage.9072

Kossage.9072

He actually said that??

Yes, he did. I’ll quote the particular bit where he says that as well as put in bold another notable statement in the same answer. Also, I left the misspelling of Abaddon in as that’s how it is in the original written source:

Jeff Grubb:

Q: A little controversial discussion since Nightfall: Is Abbadon still alive in some form? And while on the topic of Abbadon, a lot of people have been comparing the Branded of Kralkatorrik to the Margonites of Abbadon. Is there a connection between them outside of the color purple?

A: Basically the gods have stepped back. They’ve let humanity go forward on their own. They are still part of the world in the way that there’s still worship but they aren’t interfering as much as they were back in those days. The fact that Abbadon’s minions had that purplish glow and what we’re seeing in the crystal is, as far as I know, coincidental because purple is of course the color of evil. The fact that there is some similarity—dragon’s contain a lot of power. And the nature of that power comes to the surface. Not all dragon minions are purple in nature. So there’s no definitive link between Abbadon and Kralkatorrik. (Source)

However, something to keep in mind while reading these interviews: there have been later mentions by the GW2 narrative team on the GW2 forums that if any interview ever conflicts with what’s actually presented in game lore-wise, always go with the game’s version. This was back when there was some controversy over the year gap between Firstborn and Secondborn among sylvari in which an old interview from before the game’s launch conflicted with the information presented to us during Living World season 2.

As mesmers also share the colour purple in their magic, my guess is that what Grubb meant in the interview is the colour of dark purple rather than purple in general. Elder Dragons’ corruption tends to have darker, more intense colours than the magic of purified dragon minions or good professions like mesmers which appears lighter in colour.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

However, something to keep in mind while reading these interviews: there have been later mentions by the GW2 narrative team on the GW2 forums that if any interview ever conflicts with what’s actually presented in game lore-wise, always go with the game’s version.

Also something to keep in mind is that ArenaNet never had to worry about this until Angel McCoy continuously made errors on interviews, and from what was said she’s even the one who caused the year-gap-controversy for when Secondborn were born.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

Can anyone tell me what this thread is about? I’m new to GW2 and OP is not making much sense, but this topic sounds really interesting.

in Lore

Posted by: shadowfanatik.5160

shadowfanatik.5160

OP is wondering if Mordremoth used Trahearne to form the pact and destroy zhaitan in order to absorb its magic, which while not entirely impossible is very unlikely due to the fact that mordremoth was sleeping at the time of zhaitan’s death, and only had influence over scarlet due to her mind being exposed to the eternal alchemy or the all, whatever you want to call it.

this appears to have opened it to his influence, whether this influence was concious on the dragons part is still up in the air, though it would appear to be unconcious.

Konig can probably explain it a lot better than i can, but thats my basic explanation

Raak Bloodmaw

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

He actually said that??

Yes, he did. I’ll quote the particular bit where he says that as well as put in bold another notable statement in the same answer. Also, I left the misspelling of Abaddon in as that’s how it is in the original written source:

Jeff Grubb:

Q: A little controversial discussion since Nightfall: Is Abbadon still alive in some form? And while on the topic of Abbadon, a lot of people have been comparing the Branded of Kralkatorrik to the Margonites of Abbadon. Is there a connection between them outside of the color purple?

A: Basically the gods have stepped back. They’ve let humanity go forward on their own. They are still part of the world in the way that there’s still worship but they aren’t interfering as much as they were back in those days. The fact that Abbadon’s minions had that purplish glow and what we’re seeing in the crystal is, as far as I know, coincidental because purple is of course the color of evil. The fact that there is some similarity—dragon’s contain a lot of power. And the nature of that power comes to the surface. Not all dragon minions are purple in nature. So there’s no definitive link between Abbadon and Kralkatorrik. (Source)

However, something to keep in mind while reading these interviews: there have been later mentions by the GW2 narrative team on the GW2 forums that if any interview ever conflicts with what’s actually presented in game lore-wise, always go with the game’s version. This was back when there was some controversy over the year gap between Firstborn and Secondborn among sylvari in which an old interview from before the game’s launch conflicted with the information presented to us during Living World season 2.

As mesmers also share the colour purple in their magic, my guess is that what Grubb meant in the interview is the colour of dark purple rather than purple in general. Elder Dragons’ corruption tends to have darker, more intense colours than the magic of purified dragon minions or good professions like mesmers which appears lighter in colour.

Oh I wasn’t doubting the quote.

I was just surprised that it’s something he would get on board for. The color purple means evil? How is that even a thing?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Colors are always used to represent things throughout civilizations and even in the natural world. It’s especially prevalent in GW themes.

So it would be a better question to ask: Why wouldn’t it be a thing?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Colors are always used to represent things throughout civilizations and even in the natural world. It’s especially prevalent in GW themes.

So it would be a better question to ask: Why wouldn’t it be a thing?

Because GW never used specific colors for that purpose besides the very general light=good/dark=bad thing that everyone under the sun does too. Even so, it was never absolute…the White Mantle, Ministry of Purity and necromancers everywhere are glaring examples of that. Saying a certain color of course represents evil is incredibly simplistic and dull.

Specific colors primarily were used to represent specific classes for combat purposes, beyond that I find it hard to pin down any color-defining absolutes in Tyria. Are you willing to say that Kormir, the god, wasn’t purple simply because she wasn’t evil?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Well unlike our world Tyria has actual demons that often came through dark purple portals, so that for example can explain the link between “dark purple” and “evil”

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

So mesmers are evil?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: Cookiezz.5261

Cookiezz.5261

So mesmers are evil?

I mean, you’ve clearly never taken one of my portals.

In all honesty, I think the purple statement is either being blown out of proportions or simply being taken out of context. Just like how the color black typically symbolizes bad things in pop culture, I think this quote was simply meant to imply that the color purple is typically used by our baddies. Doesn’t mean just by sporting the color something is evil, just means that’s the color that is commonly associated with evil in this franchise. They could have just as easily used green or red or any other color, purple just happens to be the color they stick to for evil deeds. And if you look at the game, it is really pretty prevalent.