Oldest living Charr?

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

Q:

Does anyone know if we have an idea who the oldest living Charr is? and what the age might be?

I Love the female Charr “old” Face was just wondering how old would a Charr be to get to look like that.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Plagiarised.2865

Plagiarised.2865

A:

Ninety years of age is considered an elderly for charr.

Source: Tygor Mindflayer

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Charr mature at the same rate as humans. Humans live ~80-100 on average, so charr is likely the same but less common due to militaristic lifestyle.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

*Seen a lot, but done even more. I’ve got stories that would raise every hair on your hide.
*Some other time, perhaps.

What!!!! I want to hear some of those stories!

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

Great info ,Thanks all!

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

Charr mature at the same rate as humans. Humans live ~80-100 on average, so charr is likely the same but less common due to militaristic lifestyle.

Not in Tyria, here humans rarely become older than 50 years.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

King Doric was over 115 years old when he died; Emperor Kisu was 106 years old when he died (presuming he died when Usoku took the throne).

There are many well-aged humans in Tyria. It is also a stated fact that asura live 5-10% longer than humans, with an exceptional lifespan of 120; meaning that an exceptional human lifespan would be ~100-110.

If the common age of death is under 80, it is not death of old age.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Not necessarily. Just looking through the Ebonhawke graveyard, the average age of those interred is 52, and that’s with people who were murdered or died as children dragging the figure down. There are several who made it past 80, and at least one who died in her 90’s… and if ANet has fine enough attention to detail, Ebonhawke should be uncharacteristically low on the whole. (Shaemoor would’ve been a better representative sample, but I erred towards laziness.)

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

What the others said, also keep in mind that low average life expectancies don’t come from people not getting old, but from high infant mortality. So when it says people in the middle ages reached the average age of 45 or somethign along those lines, that doesn’t mean they died around 50 years of age, they usually lived up to their 70’s or in some cases even 80’s, it’s just the high chance of dying at birth that drags down the average to such a low level.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

What the others said, also keep in mind that low average life expectancies don’t come from people not getting old, but from high infant mortality. So when it says people in the middle ages reached the average age of 45 or somethign along those lines, that doesn’t mean they died around 50 years of age, they usually lived up to their 70’s or in some cases even 80’s, it’s just the high chance of dying at birth that drags down the average to such a low level.

Once you make it to your teens you’re chances improve remarkably.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

your*

/grammarkittenout

Dear ANet writers,

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

Wait, you are using Ebonhawke as an example? That seems a bit… I don’t know… Foolish… Considering their situation?

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Actually, I fancy it emphasizes my point. The city has been under constant siege until the last few years, and even so the average age of those buried there exceeds the gloomy estimation I was responding to.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Tygor Mindflayer in the Black Citadel says hes over 90 years old.

Besides Tygor, the eldest Charr I could find was Nox Darkheart, who died at the age of 67. Weather Nox died of old age or in battle is unknown.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

Tygor Mindflayer in the Black Citadel says hes over 90 years old.

Besides Tygor, the eldest Charr I could find was Nox Darkheart, who died at the age of 67. Weather Nox died of old age or in battle is unknown.

Given that Charr are Charr I’d say a fair number die in battle.
Not sure if they have social stigma against dying of old age like the Spartans supposedly had.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Fjaeldmark.9043

Fjaeldmark.9043

Not sure if they have social stigma against dying of old age like the Spartans supposedly had.

That seems kind of unfair. What if you’re just really good and no-one is able to kill you?

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

That seems kind of unfair. What if you’re just really good and no-one is able to kill you?

It is also not true (or atleast not a proven fact), like so many things that are said about the Spartans. The problem is that we don’t really have anything they said about themselves, we only can go by authors from Athens and well those, let’s say, usually bended the truth a bit to help the point they were trying to make, be it positive or negative about Sparta.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Zunnar.8503

Zunnar.8503

I apologize if this bump is inappropriate, but I saw a point that was brought up that I did not notice an answer to.

I know this is an old topic but I don’t think this was answered. The Charr actually do not have such a stigma. Basically, duty is important but not really battle in particular. Now active fighters may get higher recognition and such but it’s not considered dishonorable to fill other roles. What I gather is that arrogantly pushing towards a duty that one cannot fulfill well or being outright lazy are things that are despised, but performing to one’s best ability is respected no matter what the job is, even if it’s passing along old stories as an elder. Obviously not all Charr think alike, but this is actually addressed in game.

To get to the point, and I apologize I do not have time to look this up right now, there is someone you can talk to in the Black Citadel that talks about an old respected Charr. It might be about one of the statues but I’m not sure. In any case, eventually your character can ask what battle he died in or some such. The reply was that he didn’t die in battle; when he got too old for that he served by sharing his experiences with newer generations, and died a hero. It’s also highly implied in various dialog that while all Charr have battle training and are likely far better fighters than say the average human, not all of them perform fighting as their duty. The particular example I can think of is an NPC expressing annoyance with some Iron Legion Engineers that do not fight the battles, and the player character can choose to point out that their work is necessary for the war effort. I want to say this was in the Iron Marches.

One thing to remember about the Charr Legions as of the game’s time line is that they are fighting wars on many fronts. Even with the cease fire with the humans, Rytlock openly talks about how the Charr are fighting a losing war of attrition against the ghosts of Ascalon, Branded, and Flame Legion (as of early in the Personal Story, as an Iron Legion player is working on technology to disperse ghosts for longer windows of time). For that reason, I’m sure mortality is higher even than usual.

Also of note is that it’s been said that the greatest fear of the Iron Legion imperitor Smodur is if the aggressive nature of the Charr makes stabilization impossible, with the legions descending into never-ending civil war once other threats are resolved. I don’t know if it’s a dropped plot point, but he actually wanted to destroy the Claw of the Khan-Ur as a symbolic move to leave behind the past and move forward. What is definitely a plot point of the novel Ghosts of Ascalon is that retrieving of the Claw was specifically arranged to try and manipulate more Charr into accepting work towards a peace treaty with the humans, and in game Charr NPCs vary in opinion whether they oppose or desire peace.

I think there’s a transition of sorts in Charr culture at the time of the game, even beyond the rejection of the Flame Legion. For example a cub in the Plains of Ashford wants to be a botanist, but the player character says they would never be accepted. Yet, as you explore the game you do meet Charr researchers and even historians, even some dedicated to the objective study of the ruins of Rin.

I don’t know where that would all lead eventually, but I think it’s very safe to say at the least for some time prior to the events of the game old age was most definitely not something looked upon negatively.

(edited by Zunnar.8503)

Oldest living Charr?

in Lore

Posted by: Blazing Liger.1236

Blazing Liger.1236

I think the simplest answer here is the one Charr NPCs are fond of saying: “There are old Charr, and there are bold Charr, but there aren’t a lot of old, bold Charr!”

It’s hard to do jumping puzzles with a big, fuzzy butt.