The Mouth of Mordremoth (HoT Spoilers)

in Lore

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

Q:

(“Mouth of Mordremoth” is plainly visible in the achievements menu, so I don’t really consider that bit a spoiler)

Now that we’ve played Dragon’s Stand and seen the Mouth of Mordremoth firsthand, there’s a bit of a debate as to its nature. Some people are saying that it’s just a dragon champion, like the Mouth of Zhaitan was. Other people (myself included) are saying that it’s Mordremoth’s head (we know that he has a head of some sort from the LS season 1 ending cinematic). Is either answer correct? Do we have an official answer?

in Lore

Posted by: Tipper.6973

Tipper.6973

It’s all up to personal interpretation, I think.

Since Mordremoth is basically everything/everywhere (meaning he could “be” whatever he wanted to), I’m choosing to believe that the Mouth of Mordremoth is in fact his chosen physical form in the world. What we fight in the dream was just his avatar, same as the Pale Tree’s avatar.

I think it makes sense. I mean, Mouth of Mordremoth is the biggest/baddest creature we see, AND it’s located right at his main base. The map is even called Dragon’s Stand. It’s gotta be him.

in Lore

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

It’s all up to personal interpretation, I think.

Since Mordremoth is basically everything/everywhere (meaning he could “be” whatever he wanted to), I’m choosing to believe that the Mouth of Mordremoth is in fact his chosen physical form in the world. What we fight in the dream was just his avatar, same as the Pale Tree’s avatar.

I think it makes sense. I mean, Mouth of Mordremoth is the biggest/baddest creature we see, AND it’s located right at his main base. The map is even called Dragon’s Stand. It’s gotta be him.

This is my interpretation as well. While is physical manifestation is the entire jungle, his draconic form it the mouth. Not only is it consuming ley energy (which is what he know Mordremoth has been doing since he woke up), Mordremoth himself is also taunting you throughout the fight.

I really like they way they chose to do this. From a gameplay perspective, it’s like we got to have our cake and eat it too. We get to fight the Elder Dragon in a full scale assault, but we also get to kill him for real on a more personal level.

in Lore

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

I found the mouth (head) to be stupid looking and Mord’s form in the dream to be hilariously bad as well (a fat troll essentially). I expected to see an elder dragon and didn’t get to; That is a huge disappointment after 2 years of build-up.

Edit: To contribute to the topic. I don’t believe it was Mord itself. Hell, he spoke to us with Trae. We fought Lt. Root. No more, no less.

(edited by Thz.7569)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I haven’t seen the Mouth of Mordremoth yet, but I’m going to guess that it’s the “vine monster” seen in the trailer? If so, I would take that to be more like the Avatar of the Pale Tree than the Mouth of Zhaitan – a physical extension of itself. In the final story step (SPOILERS), it’s said that Mordremoth is all of its corruption.

I do think that Mordremoth has an actual body though – remember the end of Season 1? The cinematic showed a flesh and blood draconian mouth. Where was this thing? is my question.

I’ll think more on it when I see the Mouth of Mordremoth in game though. But the meta event calls it the “Shadow of the Dragon” which was a dragon champion.

@Thz: His mind form is a bit weird, but rather than calling it a fat troll it looked more like a krait oratuss with legs.

I get why they didn’t have it to be a huge thing – because how can you fight such? – but I think an GW1 Abaddon/ME2 final boss styled fight would have been far better.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

I haven’t seen the Mouth of Mordremoth yet, but I’m going to guess that it’s the “vine monster” seen in the trailer? If so, I would take that to be more like the Avatar of the Pale Tree than the Mouth of Zhaitan – a physical extension of itself. In the final story step (SPOILERS), it’s said that Mordremoth is all of its corruption.

I do think that Mordremoth has an actual body though – remember the end of Season 1? The cinematic showed a flesh and blood draconian mouth. Where was this thing? is my question.

I’ll think more on it when I see the Mouth of Mordremoth in game though. But the meta event calls it the “Shadow of the Dragon” which was a dragon champion.

@Thz: His mind form is a bit weird, but rather than calling it a fat troll it looked more like a krait oratuss with legs.

I get why they didn’t have it to be a huge thing – because how can you fight such? – but I think an GW1 Abaddon/ME2 final boss styled fight would have been far better.

the vine monster does not appear at all, kinda disappointing really :<

the mouth looks like a breacher on steroids

in Lore

Stormbolt.7293

Something I forgot to point out, the shadowy image you see behind Mordremoth’s avatar looks almost exactly like the Mouth.

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

I get the feeling that the Mouth is likely mordremoth’s “default” form that he takes when he needs to personally make an appearance rather than through a vine or breacher, sort of a “this is serious” form, whilst the “lard lizard” mordremoth is his mental projection when he wants to interact with someone on a 1:1 scale (to offer a more personal beatdown).

in Lore

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

On top of what I said about being extremely upset about not being able to see the Elder Dragon in all its glory, the biggest kick in the nuts is the concept art for the Dragon’s Reach map. It got me excited to finally see what I’ve been dying to see, only to be let down again.

in Lore

Stormbolt.7293

I feel like Anet delivered with the Mouth of Mordremoth. The whole Chinese style dragon/vine thing was kinda clever in my opinion. Story-wise, I think the fight against the Mouth is supposed to take place at the same time as the final story chapter. I was hoping I could get some developer clarification here for wiki editing purposes.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think that the story would have been far superior if we had to actually participate in the Chak Gerent and Mouth of Mordremoth events. But like with the Twisted Marionette and its subsequent LA instance it shouldn’t matter if you win or fail so long as you participated and got to see the boss.

With open world dialogue that only you see coming from your PC, a line about how that’s “Mordremoth’s body” could have been added – if that is indeed what it is (and based on dialogue of the final instance, I do think that’s so though I haven’t seen it yet).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

I’m pretty sure thats it’s body considering you see it both in the load screen concept arts and you also see a shadowy version of its face in the instance.
The pact meta event is also referenced when he says armies can’t beat him and Canach mentions he is distracted.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

in Lore

Stormbolt.7293

Alright, I just did the fight myself. This thing is totally Mordremoth. It looks like what he would speak like, speaks as Mordremoth, is referred to Mordremoth several times throughout the fight, and in NPC dialogue prior to it, etc.