Your favourite Elder Dragon

in Lore

Posted by: Vyko.6953

Vyko.6953

What elder dragon are you looking for the most? which of them do you want to see in living story as soon as possible and why?
Personally, I cant wait for Kralkatorrik. I love lightning and purple, and he is maybe the largest of them (according to GW1 where we could see him in Charr homelands, he was really huge and that was just his spine). It would also open desert (Elona) Zones!

#ELEtism

in Lore

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Same I like Kralkatorrik. The ending event from BWE2 piqued my interest in the dragon and when Kralkatorrik comes up I assume it’ll be great. Also I assume that event means they have something planned for the dragon already and are taking awhile to work on it. Hopefully that means quality.

in Lore

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

I like Jormag the most. He just has some sort of mythical status in the game. At least for me. His tooth at the middle of the Hoelbrak is just awesome. Maybe I like Jormag the most because he has the biggest connection to a playable race in the game. Jormag feels to me like he has the biggest and best “personality” for a dragon. His way of corrupting people intigues me much more than, say Zhaitan’s corruption. We havent seen anything on the Jungle Dragon and I am curious how they will establish him in the Living World. They have got a better chance to make him more appealing to the players because the new Living World arc will likely center around him a lot. Though I dont think I will like Mordremoth more than Jormag. I love the lore of GW2 but generally avoid anything Sylvary related or in that region. Dont know exactly why but it just doesnt feel right for me.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Kralkatorrik – for the Brand. By far one of the coolest, most atmospheric places in the game

Jormag – for corrupting. I think that dragon may have some personality at least.

DSD – Underwater dragon? Bringing back underwater combat? Sounds awesome

Primordus – coz of GW1

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

My favorite and whom I’m looking forward to? Jormag by far. When he woke up he toppled icebergs (kodan sanctuaries) and shattered the largest mountain range there is. He’s the only Elder Dragon to try to go into the Mists (even with Svanir himself and the Spirit World Retreat skill – the Spirit World, or Spirit Realm, is the afterlife, which is in the Mists). And his corruption appearance just hits my sphere of interest.

Then I’d say Kralkatorrik. Then the DSD, but that mainly because I want to see more of the largos and krait lore.

Not all that interested in Mordremoth or Primordus.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: ElysianEternity.6215

ElysianEternity.6215

Kralk for me, I dig deserts, I dig crystals, I dig the crystal desert and the branded look rad. Gotta love the twisted look of the Dragonbrand too. Branded are also less of a pain to fight …unlike Destroyers. /tiny harpy screech.

Then the DSD because I really like the mystery around it, I love underwater sections and places and you can never have enough krait lore. Oh and a bit more about the Largos but mystery suits them fine for the time being. Exploring abandoned underwater cities of these two races? Just yes please.

Then Jormag, I’m really looking forward to it bringing some more Norn and Kodan lore to the game. Also I love his way of corruption and I love how it goes from promises of power to twisting its followers into grotesque stuff like Icebrood Colossi. Like woah, how many times did I have to remind myself that these were NORN? That’s freaking horrifying. And awesome.

in Lore

Posted by: Lazarus.3970

Lazarus.3970

My favorite would be Primordius. Just cus. But as far as which one I would like to see in future updates, that would be Kralkatorrik because I want to go to the desert. I want to see what happened to Glin’ts lair (I don’t think Glint is dead), and the nostalgia factor to the max would be awesome.

in Lore

Posted by: Bellyboomer.3048

Bellyboomer.3048

DSD. Why?

“Captain Magnus, are you sure it’s safe to sail these waters? If the reports were true then…”
“I don’t care! I will not leave this place untill I find out what happened to those men.”
“Did you feel that? Captain? … CAPTAIN!!”
http://www.followingthenerd.com/site/wp-content/uploads/seas-monster.jpg

“Do you see anything commander?”
“Not yet marshal Trahearne, but we’re picking up signals of dragon magic…”
“Something’s closing in on us! One of his champions?”
“I can see something! … By Kormir…”
http://img.4plebs.org/boards/x/image/1369/04/1369044837687.jpg

“We’ve lured the dragon out of his lair beneath the sea! It has nowhere to go!
We’ve killed dragons before and we will do it again! We will not fall! FOR TYRIA!”
(Suddenly, kittening huge waves everywhere)

“It’s… It’s… By the gods, we’re doomed…”
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/066/1/a/Sea_monster_No_1_by_tiger1313.jpg

in Lore

Posted by: bullyrook.2165

bullyrook.2165

Mine is the 7th dragon. How do I know there is one? I’m guessing, that’s all :-P

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

My favorite would be Primordius. Just cus. But as far as which one I would like to see in future updates, that would be Kralkatorrik because I want to go to the desert. I want to see what happened to Glin’ts lair (I don’t think Glint is dead), and the nostalgia factor to the max would be awesome.

Glint is dead. Shown point blank in the Edge of Destiny novel and her corpse was recovered by the Zephyrites.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I’d say maybe Jormag, because I REALLY wanna see Drakkar again :P.

in Lore

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Zhaitan was my favorite, even with his lame end fight.

But the one I’m looking forward to the most is Jormag. It just interests me, and I want to know more about it and how it operates. Also, the DSD is a close contender.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Not much info on all of them to give an accurate answer, but I’m looking forward to Kralk the most. Followed by Jormag, Mordy, and Primordus. DSD is a non-contender, since we know nothing about it.

I’m really interested to see if Kralk’s obsession with perfection, and how it might effect or bleed over into the mind or actions of the Branded, especially his champions. To see if they might have their own versions of “perfection” to go along with Kralk’s.

Also…. I want to see a Branded djinn, because they would probably look kinda awesome. Especially if it’s wielding something like a Branded scythe, that is modeled after the Zenith weapons.

in Lore

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

Kralkatorrik for size and branded minion looks and i like to see branded centaur and is it possible to corrupt joko’s minions.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@Erukk: It should be noted that the whole “perfection” thing with Kralkatorrik is player speculation – one I started it would seem but theorycrafting nonetheless. One can equally interpret the Edge of Destiny bits as greed amongst other things.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

I’d say Jormag, of all the dragons, J.mag seems to have the most personality, simple as that.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

@Erukk: It should be noted that the whole “perfection” thing with Kralkatorrik is player speculation – one I started it would seem but theorycrafting nonetheless. One can equally interpret the Edge of Destiny bits as greed amongst other things.

Could be either way, but I guess it depends on people’s definition of perfection, since it differs greatly from person to person.

To me, it always seem to read as Kralk trying to feel the void, to achieve a state of wholeness or completion. With how the Elder Dragons feed off magic, I guess it could be considered greed or hunger to some, but I don’t see how lonesome Snaff, no matter a great of mind he was, would be able to fill much of that void in the grand scheme of things if it came to hunger. Snaff was a speck of a speck compared to Kralk.

Or maybe the Elder Dragons’ hunger for magic is driven by their different motives. Zhaitan hungered magic for a version of immortality. Primordus, to destroy all things. Kralk, to fill the void in himself. Jormag, for strength to become the strongest(?).

Anyway, that train of thought went off tracks a bit…

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That is why I said greed, not hunger. The desire to obtain everything Kralkatorrik is not (or rather, corrupting it), and destroying that he cannot obtain (or corrupt) can be seen in the Elder Dragons’ version of consuming (remember, they don’t consume in the traditional sense – even magic isn’t digested or the like; they take magic in, and exude it, either as corruptive (when awake) or as it was (when asleep)).

It is without a doubt that each one has a different method, and if the personality and actions of their minions hold, or how they corrupt, are anything to go by then they also hold different personalities too. And I would say Kralkatorrik seeks perfection (one of the official definitions for perfection is to “be everything” – though rather paradoxical in of itself, would fit Kralkatorrik’s mentality seen in EoD perfectly).

But for onlookers, the exact wording is thus:

Snaff stared at his reflection in the compound eye of the beast-stared so long that he passed through the reflection and found himself on the other side…
Within the dragon’s mind.
It was like standing in the eye of a cyclone. All around, a great storm raged, tearing down the heavens and churning up the sands and whirling all in primordial chaos. Tortured coils of cloud mixed with dissolving seas of silt. The winds scoured away rock and rill, tree and blade, flesh and bone – and tossed them all in a crystalline tempest.
All things were fuel to that storm.
Everything was a feast to Kralkatorrik.
How does one fight a hurricane?
Snaff suddenly knew. [snip a bunch of unrelated stuff]
The center of every vortex is a great emptiness-a hollow longing. The storm tries to fill the emptiness, but the more it hungers, the deeper the emptiness becomes.
And Kralkatorrik’s hunger was insatiable.
To draw the dragon, Snaff had to become the eye of the storm – to be what Kralkatorrik was not.
Where the dragon was fury, Snaff had to become bliss.
Where the dragon was rage, Snaff had to be delight.
Where the dragon was ancient and bloodthirsty and voracious, Snaff had to be new and altruistic and quite content, thank you very much.

Rest carries on there, Snaff focusing on thoughts opposite of Kralkatorrik’s, thus Kralkatorrik seeking to consume/corrupt him – and failing that, to destroy him.

One can take this to be a multitude of things, really.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Lazarus.3970

Glint is dead. Shown point blank in the Edge of Destiny novel and her corpse was recovered by the Zephyrites.

Still don’t believe it. Its been shown on several instances that the elder dragons have gained knowledge of the modern world through their minions, so Kralkatorrik would know of Glint’s death, yet he still B-lined it to her lair when he awoke. What reason would he have for doing that?

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Kralk killed glint…………

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Uh… Because Kralkatorrik is the one who killed Glint. She was alive when Kralkatorrik awoke – and he beelined to her lair, where he killed her. This is completely shown in Edge of Destiny.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Jormag’s slaves are completely aware and willing of the atrocities they commit. It will do no good to stay away from corrupted areas or the Elder Dragon’s path, your loved ones could come under his sway because of a minor thirst for power and turn on you.
Plus ice arms are cool.

in Lore

Lazarus.3970

Uh… Because Kralkatorrik is the one who killed Glint. She was alive when Kralkatorrik awoke – and he beelined to her lair, where he killed her. This is completely shown in Edge of Destiny.

Ignorance on my part. I’ve not read the book. Jumping around the wiki means things get overlooked.

This does bring up some confusion.

The Zephyrites recovered Glint’s body, but Glint’s lair is in the heart of where Kralkatorrik supposedly is, plus supposedly only the Order of Whispers knows how to get down there, so how did they recover the body and make it north, yet we cant go south?

How exactly did they get Glint’s body?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Actually, that the Zephyrites made it to the body at all is proof that Kralkatorrik is no longer in the area. Where he went is a subject for debate, but it’s clear that he left the area of the Dragonbrand. As for how the Zephyrites get around- their city flies. That enables them to bypass what would be impenetrable resistance for us walkers.

Oh, and everyone knows how to get to the desert- what you’re thinking of is it being said that the Order are the only ones able to reach Elona, which is not necessarily true, and would not necessarily mean crossing the desert, but I digress. Just about anyone could enter the Crystal Desert until it was very recently blocked by the Queen’s orders, and Glint died in the northern part that’s the easiest to reach from Tyria.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

As discussed rather heavily in this thread Kralkatorrik had left the area of Glint’s Lair after Snaff was killed, and had not been seen since. It was months after that, that the Zephyrites recovered the body.

In other words, we don’t know where Kralkatorrik is except “not at the southern end of the Dragonbrand.” Unless, of course, he returned after the Zephyrites visited.

Edit: Sorry, slight mispeaking. According to Decimus of the Durmand Priory, Kralkatorrik is still in the northern Crystal Desert; the Movement of the World talks about “the desert dragon’s presence in the northern desert” when referring to the Order of Whispers being able to maintain communications with Elona despite Joko’s influence and the prior quote.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: ElysianEternity.6215

ElysianEternity.6215

To draw the dragon, Snaff had to become the eye of the storm – to be what Kralkatorrik was not.
Where the dragon was fury, Snaff had to become bliss.
Where the dragon was rage, Snaff had to be delight.
Where the dragon was ancient and bloodthirsty and voracious, Snaff had to be new and altruistic and quite content, thank you very much.

On a random note, this bit kinda reminds of the Dream and Sylvari… heh.

in Lore

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

My favorite would have to be Kralkatorrik both his imagery and minions are amazing, plus he seems to actually have tacticians that lead his armies Uldek, Victurus, and Kronon

Second would have to be the DSD though.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

My vote would be for ol’ Kralky.

Partly this is for the crystal and lightning theme, both aesthetics I like, so not really such a rational explanation.

Partly, though, it’s because of the potential for expansion from taking on Kralkatorrik, both in the sense of expanding the lore and expanding the game world. Politically, tackling Kralky would make Elona more accessible, and in combination with the destruction of Zhaitan, could bring Joko and the situation in Elona back to the fore, thus paving the way for expansion into Elona. More locally, a concerted effort against Kralkatorrik would probably require the participation or at least support of Ebonhawke and the Iron Legion, so a Kralkatorrik-focused storyline would generate impetus to at least show us how the peace process has been going since release.

From the perspective of bigger-picture lore – going up against Kralkatorrik has the potential to give us more Zephyrite-related lore, including possibly bringing Glint’s children back into the picture in one form or another. Furthermore, there are a lot of sites of lore significance in the Crystal Desert – Augury Rock and related sites might carry some more knowledge about the gods, but more significantly, being able to poke around in the former stomping (slithering?) grounds of the Forgotten might allow a lot of questions about the Forgotten to be answered – the simplest being getting an answer on whether they are actually still hiding out beneath the sands, whether they’ve left, or whether those that used to live in the Crystal Desert are in fact now extinct.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

Primordus, for following reasons:

1) He was The First. He had the most time to amass his forces, and by the time of GW2, his minions are popping virtually everywhere. This tells me he already controls the Depths of Tyria, and now he is coming for the surface. If so, he is the most powerful Elder Dragon right now.

2) The Dwarves. Remember the little fellas who turned to stone to slow Destroyers’ advance? With Primordus being the next, we’d finally see what happened to them. My theory is they are the only thing that keeps Primy from full scale invasion on the surface.

3) Asuran civilization. Entire Asuran cities, containing advanced technology and magic forgotten even to Asura themselves, lie underground. Meybe we’d found out if there are more Asura refugees in Tyria. More Asuran lore = good.

4) Tengu. If there are any candidates for playable race, it’s them. They are tied to Primordus, as their Dominion of Winds is besieged by destroyers. Also, they are heavy-Canthan themed, which means new Cantha-related lore. It would be the first step in Canthan expansion. Which is good. I probably say Cantha too much. I don’t care.

I feel Primordus would bring the most from the Elder Dragons. Dwarven, Asuran and Canthan lore, there is enough variety to make the content interesting. Also, the thought of Primordus erupting from the ground like a volcano and our characters charging him is exciting as kitten.

(edited by Red Jay.2516)

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The deep sea Dragon. I imagine it will be the biggest, because sea creatures usually are. It will probably be kept until last, it’s the dragon we know least about. Plus I just happen to like ocean and underwater themed stuff, and I think many of the best stuff ANet has produced has been water related, from Quaggan to Krait.

in Lore

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

I like Primordis because he can ininitly spawn his minions(destroyers), ive been a fan of him since we first saw him in eotn. The destroyers were always a very scary enemy in gw1 and i loved that

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I know so little about the dragons but aesthetically it would have to be Mordremoth. I really like Kralkatorrik’s link to GW1 though, Glint’s role in the Flameseeker Prophecies and the significance of the Crystal Desert, I feel like there is so much potential to Kralkatorrik. I want Elder Dragons to have a voice, to communicate. People talk about how their lack of a voice makes them somehow more intimidating but I think beings like the God Hands from Berserk can be some of the scariest villains, Zhaitan fell flat to me because he didn’t talk, I don’t need my villains to engage with me like an equal but there are things you can only learn from a character that talks.

I’d love to see Kralkatorrik talk about the last time the dragons rose, about Glint as a failed champion, about Zhaitan’s defeat or taking an interest in the player character because of their accomplishments until now. WoW didn’t do it perfectly with Deathwing appearing all through Cataclysm (at times it felt comical more than intimidating) but they portrayed that dragon a lot better than GW2 is doing with the Elder Dragons.

Kralkatorrik’s history is GW1 relevant (I don’t care as much for EotN), the Crystal Desert is an interesting place and Palawa Joko has a story to tell.

Unless Bubbles has some cool link to Cantha and GW2’s debut there, Kralkatorrik is the most interesting to me.