Ahh, there's my airship

Ahh, there's my airship

in Living World

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Or so I’d be saying if I had one. With all these NPC commanders flying around in their own airships, is it safe to assume that in some upcoming chapter, the players are going to get their own airship to ride around in and blow stuff up with? We are the commander of the Pact, after all. Call it wishful thinking, but I hope we get our own airship at some point. I think that would be grand.

Then maybe after that we can go back in time with said airship and defend Lion’s Arch from that psychopath plant that destroyed it?

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Ahh, there's my airship

in Living World

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I’m not sure the game has systems in place that would actually allow for the free flying around of an airship. Whenever you see an airship in the game at the moment it’s moving along a predetermined trajectory so they don’t have to worry about collision or movement mechanics or anything like that.

So yeah, it would be super cool if we had airships. But I don’t think it will happen.

Ahh, there's my airship

in Living World

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

It would be an interesting way to solve player housing. Yes we have the home instances in each city. but since we have our own set of lackeys who all love calling us boss(please anet give them a few other nicknames to use for our character, it just feels like they all just started calling us boss and we stumbled into this leadership role)

the airship could act as a base of operations. a home instance for the living story as it were. depending on where the living story is we could see it hovering high over various zones but the actual airship instance itself could have us over clouds with no visible land below. we get an item that lets us port to the ship(and hopefully return) with all our home instance stuff tucked away aboard.

benifits of it being an item to gain access is that it can be handed out during a living story chapter(talk about incentive to do that LS chapter) Have taimi design and build a new type of airship that is meant to serve as a mobile command station. Traherne then has a few of them built for himself and other major leaders of the Pact. Especially seeing how much the pact has to build at camp resolve to establish a base of operation against mordramoth i think having a mobile command center that in theory could hover(or maybe even touch down) and serve as the start of a new base would be invaluable in future efforts against the dragons. especially as the terrain closer and closer to the dragons seems to get less and less hospitable.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

Ahh, there's my airship

in Living World

Posted by: NathanH.1465

NathanH.1465

Flying ships not on a predetermined trajectory? That’s like minions doing something usefull in this game (I’m looking mostly at you flesh golem). It might happen, but only by accident. :p

Before adding something this complex, I believe they should improve the intelligence of both npc and minions first (for example: stop running towards enemy AoE, don’t keep standing inside red circles, attack my enemy instead of doing nothing, etc…).
Because with the current AI I can see an npc insist to take over the wheel of the ship, just to fly into a mountain because he though the mountain would move out of our way :/

(edited by NathanH.1465)

Ahh, there's my airship

in Living World

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Flying mechanic is already in game, its called swimming, yep, swimming is just a free movemt along all 3 axis. Air and water in games are the same space but with different visual effects, just remove the invisible barrier that prevents you from swimming out of the water and your pc will fly.
In many games, if not all, flying and swimming use the same mechanics given the nature of it.

Flying/sailing your own ship can be easy implemented, for example if you replace pc model with submarine you will be able to ster a sub, or if you replace it with airship and remove restriction on movment you will be able to control your own flying ship.

Tho it all depends on whether dev want it in their game or not.

(edited by Cold Hearted Person.6154)

Ahh, there's my airship

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Indeed. I’ve played a bit of Divinity 2 lately, which has transforming into a dragon for aerial combat as a mechanic. It feels almost identical to swimming in GW2.

A bigger concern might be what would happen to the feeling of the world if it was to have thousands of PC airships flying across it at any given time.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Ahh, there's my airship

in Living World

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Yep, ther also is the issue of colisions, pc models are small and cant colide with eachother but airship would be huge and it would just look bad if the ships were to pass throu eachother, just imagine how it would be with 100+ airships in the air, a trafic jam.

Well, the issue would be smaller if we were to control a gunship like the one rotor chooper that chars made. With that a fight with Elder Dragon would make much more sense, smaller target is harder to hit it would be much easier to avoid geting smacked to the ground. I dont know why Zhaithan didnt just ram our flagship, it would go down instantly.