End boss fight is really frustrating

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The only problem I had with this fight was that 75% of the time the bubbles that make you fragile that you transfer to the Vortex Crystals spawned in the middle of those AoEs that one-shot you.

More like 99.99% of the time. Almost every single bubble spawned within the AOE when I did it. The few that didn’t were usually on the far side of the room with the boss in between.

On the odd occasion that the fragility bubbles weren’t covered in AOE, the vortex crystal was!

I gave up even trying to kill the vortex crystals and killed the boss the hard way. Its like they set up a mechanically simple fight and then tried their hardest to prevent us using the mechanics.

in Living World

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

Barring bugs I think it was a decent fight, only that it takes too many cycles of doing the same thing before it goes down. Which was not a problem at first but during the second and third attempt for achievements (mine and those of other people) got a bit tedious.

More like 99.99% of the time. Almost every single bubble spawned within the AOE when I did it. The few that didn’t were usually on the far side of the room with the boss in between.

On the odd occasion that the fragility bubbles weren’t covered in AOE, the vortex crystal was!

I gave up even trying to kill the vortex crystals and killed the boss the hard way. Its like they set up a mechanically simple fight and then tried their hardest to prevent us using the mechanics.

There are 2 ways you can deal with this.
If you find the bubbles are covered by aoe circles, move a bit to a clear area where there are no circles yet and take the first bubble that pops there. The reason is that it always fires an aoe and a bubbles together, and the latter land just a bit further than the former from my experience. But then the next aoe might cover that bubble, etc if you stay near the same spot for too long.
Or if you feel like making the fight slightly more interesting, look for a bubble that’s covered by only 1 circle, dodge through the aoe and the bubble, and you will get the buff without getting hit. I did the last thing many times and never died because of it. I think at least the first solution is pretty intuitive, probably intended, so I would hardly say they prevent people from using the mechanics.

in Living World

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

All in all I found it quite interesting, gradually (and painfully) figuring out the mechanics. Then with the end boss at 50% the vortexes stopped spawning. Just, stopped. I couldn’t face going through the whole rigmarole again and risking another bugged encounter so I went for the ragequit option.

It was very pretty and going through it the first time was quite fun but it’s not that much fun.

Hopefully the encounter will be fixed but until then I think I’ll steer clear.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

My experience with the Malevolent Memory was pretty positive. Changing mechanics, fair difficulty, and avoids requiring simple DPS.

The Facet of Light (when doing the ‘Better Red than Dead’ achievement) was a bit frustrating, but overall I really enjoyed the combat in this episode.

in Living World

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I thought the boss was really easy to figure out and even easier to defeat. It doesn’t even use any new tactics, just a combination of the two previous bosses.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Living World

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I just wanted to add my thoughts in here. I enjoyed all of these bosses very much, achievements included. (Better Red than Dead could be less RNG, that would be nice) I enjoyed the puzzlish aspect to them.

in Living World

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

“It’s so hard I actually had to do something other than press 1 and attack!”

in Living World

Posted by: zallis.2138

zallis.2138

The whole mission is teaching you the mechanics of the fight. It is every previous boss combined

Information about New Outriders
en.guildwars2.com/forum/guilds/recruitment/New-OutRiders-NOR-Recruitment-Post/first#post2721974

in Living World

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

Did it with a friend, but he allowed me to figure out the tactics on my own and do them. I found it very enjoyable. It also doesn’t give the edge to meta-builds for a change, which I think it’s a good thing to do once in a while. (This is coming from someone with every single class in the meta-builds and meta-gear.)

I hope to see more fights like this.

in Living World

Posted by: Roy.7405

Roy.7405

I didn’t enjoy the fight either, but part of that could be due to me doing it on my ranger and my pet was dead most of the time due to the AoE.

I think the wording and signaling on what to do could be a better. It took me a while to figure out to do for the facet of darkness boss fights as I ended up completing the 1st part before the boss pretty quickly and not knowing what happened.

Specifically, it’s especially confusing when you look at the boss abilities that says ~“Steals boons from the player”. I instantly thought it was talking about swiftness, retaliation, etc (i.e. what the rest of the game teaches you and call a boon) and not some instance specific ‘boon’. Perhaps boon can be replaced with ‘enchantment/buff’ or some other unofficial term that doesn’t conflict with the game’s established terminology. Secondly, the Fragility effect is not really a boon in the first place; becoming fragile and lowering your health sounds a lot more like a hex/debuff.

Finally, I’d suggest relooking at how the vortexes are presented. If the vortexes were presented as non-hostile until the ‘boon’ was brought to them (since they can’t be killed via damage before then anyways), I think that would go a long way to helping clear up the confusion. Or perhaps replace their white AoE rings with the standard orange?

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I didn’t enjoy the fight either, but part of that could be due to me doing it on my ranger and my pet was dead most of the time due to the AoE.

I think the wording and signaling on what to do could be a better. It took me a while to figure out to do for the facet of darkness boss fights as I ended up completing the 1st part before the boss pretty quickly and not knowing what happened.

Specifically, it’s especially confusing when you look at the boss abilities that says ~“Steals boons from the player”. I instantly thought it was talking about swiftness, retaliation, etc (i.e. what the rest of the game teaches you and call a boon) and not some instance specific ‘boon’. Perhaps boon can be replaced with ‘enchantment/buff’ or some other unofficial term that doesn’t conflict with the game’s established terminology. Secondly, the Fragility effect is not really a boon in the first place; becoming fragile and lowering your health sounds a lot more like a hex/debuff.

Finally, I’d suggest relooking at how the vortexes are presented. If the vortexes were presented as non-hostile until the ‘boon’ was brought to them (since they can’t be killed via damage before then anyways), I think that would go a long way to helping clear up the confusion. Or perhaps replace their white AoE rings with the standard orange?

First off, it does steal all the boons on a character near them. It just happened that a specific boon was introduced that was kind of negative. When I first encountered the fragility “boon”, I actually waiting behind all the crystal mine field until it wore off… until I discovered that I needed the boon to get past the wall.

As for the rings around the vortexes, it wouldn’t be appropriate for them to be orange because that would imply that they deal damage. They just steal boons, which generally don’t deal damage.

in Living World

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Could anyone point me in the direction of a full walk through just to get the story completed? Non-achievement related?

in Living World

Posted by: TKIB.9061

TKIB.9061

seriously?
There is no difficulty here, it is a corridor like map, you can’t get lost…
It is not difficult at all to understand the mecanics from the boss…

I like this kind a mecanic where you have to find your boss weakness.

in Living World

notebene.3190

seriously?
There is no difficulty here, it is a corridor like map, you can’t get lost…
It is not difficult at all to understand the mecanics from the boss…

I like this kind a mecanic where you have to find your boss weakness.

I’m on, presumably the last boss, at 20%, red light ,can’t finish.

I’m letting the facet beat on me and alt-tabbing back as I search around trying to determine what the answer is.

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I don’t so much. I won’t go into my feelings as to what level of difficultly should be in the story portion and what portion should be buried in the achievements.

So there we are. It’s been over a week. It’s presumably not a secret at this point, but I am having difficulty finding any sort of guide. Dulfy has some nice information on the achievements, but it doesn’t seem to really just cover the basic mechanics of the thing. I found a few videos, but they aren’t really helpful because they don’t talk about anything. It’s just 20 minutes of watching someone run around and talk to his buddies about nothing on a head set.

[alt tab; drop heal; alt tab]

So yes, I’ve got Malevolent at 20%. I’m on the red color thing. I can’t seem to do any damage to him. I kill the little kitten boy, I pick up the color, I go walk in the circle, and I can’t damage it save like 20 points here or there.

Then dive out and do that again. For the last, oh, hour now.

There’s the vulnerable bulbs, or whatever they are called, but those are only good when it’s not in this phase, it would seem as picking those up in this phase just gets me killed (about 10 times now).

So any help for the last 20% would be wonderful. Thank you.

[alt tab…]

in Living World

Posted by: mjasa.5821

mjasa.5821

As I posted in another thread
Kill the summoning mini, get color on your head, get the clear “donut” first then go into the color vortex, then kill vortex. Then the big boss should get out of middle. Damage him until mini comes out. When the little summoning minis come always kill them and repeat the above until boss is dead.
Never walk into red circles

in Living World

notebene.3190

As I posted in another thread
Kill the summoning mini, get color on your head, get the clear “donut” first then go into the color vortex, then kill vortex. Then the big boss should get out of middle. Damage him until mini comes out. When the little summoning minis come always kill them and repeat the above until boss is dead.
Never walk into red circles

Got it, thanks again.

in Living World

Posted by: Kamikae.9536

Kamikae.9536

I enjoyed the unique mechanics, and frankly I agree that the “puzzle” was really simple to unlock. I enjoyed the new mechanic, granted I felt like the “vortex” fights went a bit slowly, I wished the was a vulnerable “DPS burn” phase that gave players the option to kill it faster if they were able to.

rMBP 15-inch, Late 2013 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

in Living World

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

I enjoyed the unique mechanics, and frankly I agree that the “puzzle” was really simple to unlock. I enjoyed the new mechanic, granted I felt like the “vortex” fights went a bit slowly, I wished the was a vulnerable “DPS burn” phase that gave players the option to kill it faster if they were able to.

Kitten yes. The whole process could be a little quicker for me.

And I am well known for my patience.