Five Stages of Grief

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: Excell.1042

Excell.1042

When you are grieving , you usually go trough 5 stages; Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance. As a long term player who has been here since launch and has played nearly 8000 hours, I too go trough these stages everytime a living world patch starts, I think many players do, now, lets go trough them;

Denial- We deny that Living World is all we’ll get in this game, we keep saying “Sure there is an expansion in the works, new pvp modes are comming, new worldbosses are comming, dungeons are comming” While really, lets face it; they’ve dropped the ball on anything but Living World. After the living world episodes are over, we always say “There must be some more content hidden somewhere”

Anger – After we come out of the first stage of grief, we go onto the forums and start QQing about the lack of any substantial content, we get mad at arenanet and various other things involving the game.

Bargaining- We try to give Anet feedback on how to improve, bargaining that maybe they will listen to us and will produce somewhat more decent content

Depression- After we realise that none of this works, we get sad, seeing the game we’ve known and loved get worse and worse ((with the ocassional bump-up every now and then)) We dont want to play the game anymore.

Acceptance- At the end of the depression, we realise that theres nothing we can do about the lack of substansial content that we get. We accept it, we proceed with our daily GW2 lives, wether that is stacking in corners in dungeons to get our daily gold, go into broken 4 v 5soloque matches where people play imbalanced builds, or go head to toe against a gate in World v World. We accept we dont get nice things.

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

First I believe the 5 stages is only meant for terminally ill patients, second at this point I only see depression and acceptance about poor updates (not to say they are all bad updates).

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: zallis.2138

zallis.2138

I am perfectly happy with the Living Story. I spend a lot of time in Dry Top and Silverwastes, I haven’t completed Mawdrey yet and I haven’t completed my ambrite weapon collection. I am currently working on mastery of all episodes and the luminescent gloves. You have 8000 hours in game. eight THOUSAND. and your saying that there isn’t enough content coming in the game? You spent 47 weeks playing this game and you are STILL playing it. You must like the content they are putting into the game. We WILL be getting new world bosses, I bet we get one this season We WILL be getting new PvP modes, I bet that comes this feature pack. As for dungeons, they said they aren’t working on dungeons, so you shouldn’t expect that in the first place.

Information about New Outriders
en.guildwars2.com/forum/guilds/recruitment/New-OutRiders-NOR-Recruitment-Post/first#post2721974

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Excell.1042

I am perfectly happy with the Living Story. I spend a lot of time in Dry Top and Silverwastes, I haven’t completed Mawdrey yet and I haven’t completed my ambrite weapon collection. I am currently working on mastery of all episodes and the luminescent gloves. You have 8000 hours in game. eight THOUSAND. and your saying that there isn’t enough content coming in the game? You spent 47 weeks playing this game and you are STILL playing it. You must like the content they are putting into the game. We WILL be getting new world bosses, I bet we get one this season We WILL be getting new PvP modes, I bet that comes this feature pack. As for dungeons, they said they aren’t working on dungeons, so you shouldn’t expect that in the first place.

Isnt it kind of weird for an MMO Developer to stop working on dungeons? or the fact that it takes them more than a year to finish pvp game modes ((We have seen them do a livestream on it, and they never ever mentioned it again)) Also. I’ll take you up on that feature pack bet, 100g for you if you’re right.

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

New rule: unwarranted anger masquerading as overwrought self-pity

takes a drink

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Excell.1042

First I believe the 5 stages is only meant for terminally ill patients, second at this point I only see depression and acceptance about poor updates (not to say they are all bad updates).

That is a misconception, the five stages apply to alot of things, not only to terminally ill patients. A good example would be pedagogy, this also applies there, and many other things. Its called the five stages of “Grief” for a reason, and you can grief over nearly everything

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: Roland Shadow.6192

Roland Shadow.6192

As a player since the first beta I definitely feel that frustration as well. At this point I only log on to complete the living story every two weeks and I skip the holiday events all together as they seem to just be recycling last years events at this point with little to nothing added to them. I refuse to purchase anything from the gem store and I provide the game with no revenue what so ever. Since I only log on to do the living story I do not interact with other players any longer (all of the people I know having quit playing long ago) so I do not even act as content for other players.

I can only imagine I have become the antithesis of the player they want, but hey at least I still “play” the game which is more than I can say for anyone else I know. I am awaiting some major changes or an expansion to take the game seriously and as far as the others I used to game with most have stated that even an expansion at this point is unlikely to bring them back.

Arena Net has some of the best artists and personnel in the business but at this point it is painfully obvious that their upper management is absolutely incompetent. It is a sad thing to admit but one only needs to look on the glassdoor site for Anet to see that.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/ArenaNet-Reviews-E255820.htm

A lot of the people who made Guild Wars 1 the amazingly timeless title that it is have mostly all left the company. Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt are gone and the only original founder left is Mike O’Brien which begs the question of how much Mike had to do with Guild Wars 1 success in the first place and if Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt had the right idea to distance themselves from NCsoft back in 2009.

Sad to see a sinking ship like Final Fantasy 14 do a complete turn around and become great and move toward it’s first expansion while Guild Wars 2 the golden child that it was languishes. I have said enough, I do not mean to be disrespectful to anyone in particular these are just the thoughts I have running through my head about the game and the company working on it, I know a lot of talented people have poured their heart and soul into this game and it shows. It is just to bad that the people paid to manage the future of Guild Wars 2 have envisioned such a bleak one for it.

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Excell.1042

As a player since the first beta I definitely feel that frustration as well. At this point I only log on to complete the living story every two weeks and I skip the holiday events all together as they seem to just be recycling last years events at this point with little to nothing added to them. I refuse to purchase anything from the gem store and I provide the game with no revenue what so ever. Since I only log on to do the living story I do not interact with other players any longer (all of the people I know having quit playing long ago) so I do not even act as content for other players.

I can only imagine I have become the antithesis of the player they want, but hey at least I still “play” the game which is more than I can say for anyone else I know. I am awaiting some major changes or an expansion to take the game seriously and as far as the others I used to game with most have stated that even an expansion at this point is unlikely to bring them back.

Arena Net has some of the best artists and personnel in the business but at this point it is painfully obvious that their upper management is absolutely incompetent. It is a sad thing to admit but one only needs to look on the glassdoor site for Anet to see that.

A lot of the people who made Guild Wars 1 the amazingly timeless title that it is have mostly all left the company. Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt are gone and the only original founder left is Mike O’Brien which begs the question of how much Mike had to do with Guild Wars 1 success in the first place and if Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt had the right idea to distance themselves from NCsoft back in 2009.

Sad to see a sinking ship like Final Fantasy 14 do a complete turn around and become great and move toward it’s first expansion while Guild Wars 2 the golden child that it was languishes. I have said enough, I do not mean to be disrespectful to anyone in particular these are just the thoughts I have running through my head about the game and the company working on it, I know a lot of talented people have poured their heart and soul into this game and it shows. It is just to bad that the people paid to manage the future of Guild Wars 2 have envisioned such a bleak one for it.

Not to mention that they lost their main engine programmers aswell :p

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: Roland Shadow.6192

Roland Shadow.6192

Not to mention that they lost their main engine programmers aswell :p

This is also true. I think that the people who have a little more knowledge of what is going on at Arena net are the ones who can see how completely the ball has been dropped by them. All the momentum and good will that Arena net had built over the years has been cashed in at pennies on the dollar.

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Its called the five stages of “Grief” for a reason, and you can grief over nearly everything

You can “grieve” over anything. Griefing over anything at all is only found on forums, youtube, and reddit. :P

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Excell.1042

Its called the five stages of “Grief” for a reason, and you can grief over nearly everything

You can “grieve” over anything. Griefing over anything at all is only found on forums, youtube, and reddit. :P

Ahahaha. Got me there, my english teriburu! D;

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I just want SAB.

Are you Shpongled?

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I just want SAB.

I still haven’t forgiven them for SAB 2: Master of Baubles initially being bugged.

But the Stages of Grief clip with the giraffe is awesome.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

Looking from the company view these 5 stages probably look like this.

Denial: Everything we are doing is perfectly fine. No the new update isnt bad written, too short and almost only contains grind and RNG. ALL The players loves us and we can go on like this for decades without destroying the game. The game wont need an proper expansion.

Anger: Why the hell are so many people angry about us?? We havent done anything wrong! Its all the faults of the players!

Bargaining: Try to look interested and ignore them. Manuals for this: Look into their direction, empty your mind (think of something else, like your feble paycheck as contractor), close your mouth and nod in intervals of 10 seconds.

Depression: Finally the kittenstorm is over now we can go on and milk this dead cow.

Acceptance: Ok we failed, but hey who cares. For every veteran who leaves we can simply lure in a new player who will replace him. No need for panic, just go on like this and try to pay even less to the workers to maximize the profit.

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Acceptance- At the end of the depression, we realise that theres nothing we can do about the lack of substansial content that we get. We accept it, we proceed with our daily GW2 lives, wether that is stacking in corners in dungeons to get our daily gold, go into broken 4 v 5soloque matches where people play imbalanced builds, or go head to toe against a gate in World v World. We accept we dont get nice things.

You’re failing at this last part. The whole point of acceptance is that you accept you have lost something (grief requires loss), and then move on. Continuing to play is not moving on.

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

There’s no better Free To Play MMO. Unless ya know of one. Suggestions welcome, natch.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

Five Stages of Grief

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Isnt it kind of weird for an MMO Developer to stop working on dungeons?

I guess, if we were talking about a WoW style MMO, where the only new content (aside from expansions) tends to take the form of dungeons and raids. I guess it comes down to the type of MMO you’re making and the type of players you’re aiming for.
Still this does feel like on of those “if it’s not broken…” things. ANet’s trying to do something new, that’s fine. However it does feel like they should also be doing what works as well (that is things like dungeons which all other MMOs have because it works).

I don’t know, GW2 is a good game it has good mechanics and a lot of fun gameplay. But ignoring OPs attempt at extreme dramatization I do agree with him that all that GW2 needs is more content. Living World is fine, but it definitely isn’t producing as much content as some players would like.

That is a misconception, the five stages apply to alot of things, not only to terminally ill patients. A good example would be pedagogy, this also applies there, and many other things. Its called the five stages of “Grief” for a reason, and you can grief over nearly everything

But isn’t most of the applications areas an informal application at best (much in the spirit of OPs post)? Pedantically speaking, I know for a fact it relates to death and was designed to describe the stages of grief on the part of those slowly dying. I always felt that it’s application outside of the palliative realm seemed more ill-fitting, or forced. It’s simplistic, and easy to understand, so everyone is trying to fit everything they can into it.

Guild Wars 1 the amazingly timeless title that it is

Really? Every time I try to play it, I can’t get over the bad UI, the boring combat mechanics, and the horribly tedious quest grind. Not timeless, so many parts of it are very much dated. Not a bad thing, since it is an old game so it’s only obvious that it would be dated. I hear a lot about how good the story is, so maybe that’s timeless. I don’t know, I don’t get that far.

There’s no better Free To Play MMO. Unless ya know of one. Suggestions welcome, natch.

True enough. I’ve tried others but I keep coming back.