GW2 releases Story Journals: Feedback/Questions [Merged]

in Living World

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I have absolutely no interest in actual story line, but I have to say that the new achievement system sounds awesome. It’s about time they we will actually have to put some effort and achieve them. I just hope that they will make sure there are no cheap ways or exploits that can be used to get them (like liadri lifesteal or activity farm on reset).

in Living World

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Not quite. Say you earn 10 gold in an hour of play time.

Right now, that 10g will get you 100 gems. Using your credit card, 100 gems costs you $1.25.

Not saying you shouldn’t buy gems with gold, but don’t fool yourself into thinking you’re ahead of the game doing that.

Playing a game.

Working a minimum wage job.

Not the same thing at all.

Right. The most people I know, that are playing this game, do not make very much “gold per hour”. (not even one gold). So they can not exchange a lot of gold to gems and if they want gems they have to pay with real money.

If you want more gold, you have to farm/grind for it. A lot of people do not like farming/grinding and compare this to work. And then the next logical step is to compare how much (gems) they could get with “in-game work” and “real-life work”.

Greetings.

in Living World

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

The information about the new challenging achievements makes me looking forward to s2 most.

I wonder if the elimination of the s1-like meta achievements means that temporary achievements are fully gone then. As I understood there will still be open world temporary content – so will there be achievements for the more casual players that are temporary too?

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

in Living World

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

actually made a video on this today:

Please check it out:

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

in Living World

Posted by: dgenxp.8650

dgenxp.8650

The new system looks absolutely fantastic! I’ve always called for new content introduced into the game to be permanent, using a similar structure to the Personal Story. The Story Journal is basically what I’ve been asking for; players have all the time in the world to attempt the achievements or work towards the rewards at a time and pace of their choosing.

Paying to unlock past Living Story chapters is a fair trade-off, I think, similar to the Bonus Mission Pack from GW1. One question though: Can only players who have the content unlocked can enter instances relating to LS2? Or is it possible for players to party up with players with the unlocked content to join in anyway?

Just happened onto this comment so I’m sorry if it’s already been answered

I watched the most recent non ready up YouTube video and they mentioned that other players can experience the content with other players but cannot get the rewards etc only the person who accessed the content in the first place gets the achievements and rewards so yeah others can party but you need to access it yourself to get everything

Again sorry if it is already answered but hopefully that put your mind at ease about it

in Living World

Posted by: PHARAOH.3465

PHARAOH.3465

The info from the release I read by Colin has me EXTREMELY excited. The biggest issue I had with Living Story was that it seemed to be a return to the forced gaming treadmill, which I came to GW2 to avoid. All I have to do is log in once every two weeks and I get access to all the content forever? AWESOME! Exactly the fix that was needed. I’ll gladly buy a session if I miss one, as if I couldn’t log in for two weeks likely I made enough money to buy it lol. I’m happy with it all around. Kudos for listening once again ANET. It would be awesome to play the original Molten dungeon again whenever I want also, so please do try to add that stuff back in but if not possible at least it is fixed for the future.

Prince Pharaoh – human mesmer
Lord Pharaoh – sylvari ranger
etc, etc – one 80 of each class

in Living World

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

Thank you ArenaNet for implementing this. This will allow me to enjoy GW2 on a whole new level and at my own pace. I’m looking forward to season 2 of living story.

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

YAY! FINALLY! SOMETHING FOR US STORY-LOVERS!

((ahem!))

I’m looking forward to the Story Journals as well. I’ve been waiting for an extension to the PS for a while. The Sylvari PS is my favorite storyline, and I want to know what happens to the Sylvari PCs. I’m curious to know if there will be a rivalry / conflict between Trahearne and the PCs. I hope my Order of Whispers Sylvari PC gets a chance to get back at fern boy for stealing the spotlight during the Zhaitan storyline.

The best parts: We can all play the game at our own pace AND we get more acheivements. YAY!

I don’t mind paying the 200 gems for past episodes either. That’s like $2.50 USD. That’s cheaper than a movie rental from Amazon.com (which is $3.99 -$5.99 USD). I’d rather spend money on games than on movies any day.

Thank you for the upcoming update, Anet!

I do have a question:

Will there be both solo and group events in each episode?

Finally, Anet please add LS Season 1 to the Story Journal when you can. I would like to play all the pre-Twilight Assault updates such as Flame & Frost and the Queen’s Jubilee.

(edited by kta.6502)

in Living World

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

My topic was closed. Not even moved. Thanks mods.

This is greed. Log in, or pay. Vs a sub based game where you pay 50 cents a day for a month(15 dollars a month) and get all content ever released. I can log into WoW right now and go do Baradin Hold dallies from 2 years ago.

Not turning this into sub vs free game argument. But I do think its crap that arenanet made the conscious decision to place this content behind gems(even if its 200), instead of making it free like they said it always would be.

I haven’t logged in to play for weeks, I dont plan on it for another few months. When I return, if I ever return(cuz Wildstar is awsome), I’ll be so far behind that I’ll need to dish out the $$. Or, I have to remember every other week to log in. Like a freakin’ chore.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

in Living World

cesmode.4257

One more thing to add…

To those of you that might say “you can either CHOOSE to log in or not, or CHOOSE to pay the gems…its up to you…”

I can also CHOOSE to wipe my rear-end after going to the bathroom, or CHOOSE not to. But the ladder will result in stinky pants. I NEED to wipe.

Sick comparison, but it gets the message across. If you want to see the content, its not a choice. You either must remember to log in, if you are even able to log in, or you must pay the gems. The content is behind a gate, any way you slice it.

in Living World

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

One more thing to add…

To those of you that might say “you can either CHOOSE to log in or not, or CHOOSE to pay the gems…its up to you…”

I can also CHOOSE to wipe my rear-end after going to the bathroom, or CHOOSE not to. But the ladder will result in stinky pants. I NEED to wipe.

Sick comparison, but it gets the message across. If you want to see the content, its not a choice. You either must remember to log in, if you are even able to log in, or you must pay the gems. The content is behind a gate, any way you slice it.

Invalid analogy.

A correct pant-wiping analogy would be this:

I can choose to wipe myself.
I can choose to pay someone else to wipe me.
I can choose to trade some monopoly money in exchange for someone else wiping me.

Honestly, of all the unfounded complaints I’ve seen in my many years using the internet, yours stands tall as a particularly unfounded one.

They are giving you TWO methods of getting the content COMPLETELY 100% FREE and one method of paying for it and you accuse them of being greedy? Seriously?

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Living World

cesmode.4257

Invalid analogy.

I can choose to trade some monopoly money in exchange for someone else wiping me.

Honestly, of all the unfounded complaints I’ve seen in my many years using the internet, yours stands tall as a particularly unfounded one.

They are giving you TWO methods of getting the content COMPLETELY 100% FREE and one method of paying for it and you accuse them of being greedy? Seriously?

At least I win at something.

And yes, Im upset because…for a… free to play game…, If I leave for 3 months and come back, Id like to be able to play the content? Previously it was unavailable and that sucked. Now, if im gone for 3 months, the decision has been made that I either have the gold to spend on gems or I fork over real $$…they made this decision, it wasnt an oversight, or some technical thing. They made the decision to monetize my absence(using myself as an example). I find this to be shady.

I dont want to spend 20-30 gold one piece of content. If I miss 3 months, thats roughly 6 living story ‘episodes’, and roughly 120-150 gold. I dont have that kind of gold. Should I be forced to dungeon farm for gold to pay to see the content then?

If your game is free to play, make all content FREE.

People can no longer sit around these forums and say hogwash like “you can leave and come back and not worry about a thang”. Because you need to pay for missed content!

(edited by cesmode.4257)

in Living World

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

If you want to see the content, its not a choice. You either must remember to log in, if you are even able to log in, or you must pay the gems. The content is behind a gate, any way you slice it.

Yes the content is behind a gate but the gate is not there for the reasons you expect. I honestly don’t think that ArenaNet is doing this for extra income. That is a side effect bonus. I think the reason why there is a gate is to get people to continually login and play. People Logged into Guild Wars 1 only during the festivals. People logged in only during new Living World releases. If everything was permanent for free with no charges. A lot of those people would not login.

The fact that it is only available for free for a limited amount of time means that ArenaNet is “paying” us for doing the one thing they need most for the MMO to servive. Log In and play. Something that businesses that rely on the crowd sourced model learned long ago pepole are sometimes more valuable then cash.

Did not login during the period of time that it was free. Well you can pay with real life money or convert gold to gems and pay to unlock it. I understand the concept. I think this is the best solution available for both parties.

However I will say this. In order for this not to deter new players after the season is over the seasons episodes needs to be sold at a reduced price in a package. ArenaNet could even market it as a “new and returning player expansion pack”. Perhaps sweeten up the deal a bit by adding some of the exclusive Gem Store content that was only released during that Living World season into the pack.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in Living World

cesmode.4257

If you want to see the content, its not a choice. You either must remember to log in, if you are even able to log in, or you must pay the gems. The content is behind a gate, any way you slice it.

Yes the content is behind a gate but the gate is not there for the reasons you expect. I honestly don’t think that ArenaNet is doing this for extra income. That is a side effect bonus. I think the reason why there is a gate is to get people to continually login and play. People Logged into Guild Wars 1 only during the festivals. People logged in only during new Living World releases. If everything was permanent for free with no charges. A lot of those people would not login.

The fact that it is only available for free for a limited amount of time means that ArenaNet is “paying” us for doing the one thing they need most for the MMO to servive. Log In and play. Something that businesses that rely on the crowd sourced model learned long ago pepole are sometimes more valuable then cash.

Did not login during the period of time that it was free. Well you can pay with real life money or convert gold to gems and pay to unlock it. I understand the concept. I think this is the best solution available for both parties.

However I will say this. In order for this not to deter new players after the season is over the seasons episodes needs to be sold at a reduced price in a package. ArenaNet could even market it as a “new and returning player expansion pack”. Perhaps sweeten up the deal a bit by adding some of the exclusive Gem Store content that was only released during that Living World season into the pack.

If its not for money, why not just make it all free all the time? Why risk potentially upsetting a % of the playerbase with this move? I am not the only person in the guild wars community that feels this way. Why risk it? Whats for them to lose by making it all free all the time? Doing this makes them look shady IMO.

in Living World

anzenketh.3759

If its not for money, why not just make it all free all the time? Why risk potentially upsetting a % of the playerbase with this move? I am not the only person in the guild wars community that feels this way. Why risk it? Whats for them to lose by making it all free all the time? Doing this makes them look shady IMO.

I already covered that in my post. It is to entice players to login and play the game. It is to keep players thinking about the game. It is to ensure that the game stays installed. Want a 20 minute explanation. You can go watch Wooden Potato video on this topic.

He even covers why gems and not gold. It is a smart thing ArenaNet have done here. They found the middle ground that pleases the highest percentage of players. You can’t make everyone happy. But this is the closest I think they could get with the Living World system still serving it’s purpose keep players logged in and playing.

in Living World

Posted by: ObsidianSaint.1079

ObsidianSaint.1079

All of the arguments against this change are just straight up ridiculous!

So you want to leave for 3 months and come back and be able to play? GUESS WHAT? You still can! You just can’t play the stuff that, before, you weren’t even able to buy back!

So this is a free game huh? Guess they should make everything FREE! How are they supposed to host a free game with that many workers? They already have stuff on the gem store that costs about 800 gems a piece but you all never complained about that. It should be free right? This is exactly the same principle!

It’s not impossible to log in every 2 weeks for a few seconds. Please don’t write something silly like you’re a soldier and you leave for long periods of time as I’ve seen copied on the forums a few times already. If you don’t spend that much time on the game you shouldn’t really be bothered about content you missed out on. You would have missed much more last season without the chance to re experience it through the gem store.

in Living World

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

I think this journal idea can have a pretty negative effect on the community. Seems good to buy gems for lost living stories, to have permanent content is a long time desire.

However this might divide the player-base’s casual players and more active to hardcore players apart. Gw2 have many casual players and they don’t usually farm for money and they make gold at a much slower pace. Hardly making 1g an hour playing a few hours a day.

Grinding to get enough gems to buy a missed living story will take ages.. Not to mention multiple missed living story events due to real life situations. It would seem the upcoming changes and recent changes are alienating casual players and perhaps older players. There has been a forums post by age 30-70 players speaking up on how megaservers and recent patches are alienating them.

I believe journal idea for LS2 would further make this unenjoyable for casuals and more cater to farmers with lots of Gold to spend for gems.

Just because you have China servers now and multiple target audiences with vast cultural differences, doesn’t mean Anet shouldn’t try to accommodate to as many player bases as possible nor try to relieve some players for more hardcore/active players.

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

in Living World

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

And yes, Im upset because…for a… free to play game…, If I leave for 3 months and come back, Id like to be able to play the content? Previously it was unavailable and that sucked. Now, if im gone for 3 months, the decision has been made that I either have the gold to spend on gems or I fork over real $$…they made this decision, it wasnt an oversight, or some technical thing. They made the decision to monetize my absence(using myself as an example). I find this to be shady.

I dont want to spend 20-30 gold one piece of content. If I miss 3 months, thats roughly 6 living story ‘episodes’, and roughly 120-150 gold. I dont have that kind of gold. Should I be forced to dungeon farm for gold to pay to see the content then?

If your game is free to play, make all content FREE.

People can no longer sit around these forums and say hogwash like “you can leave and come back and not worry about a thang”. Because you need to pay for missed content!

Just wanted to say that GW2 is NOT “free to play”. Its “buy to play”. The difference being that in a F2P game, you don’t have to spend money (initially) to play. But you are limited on the content you can access, low level cap, chat/messaging options, etc. If you want the “real” content you pay a fee and/or subscription. (i.e. SWTOR, NWN, DDO, etc.). In a B2P game. You buy the game once, and you have access to all that the game offers without ever having a need to purchase anything ever again. Much like your traditional video games.

With the addition of the story journal, as it’s been said many times before, IT IS 100% OPTIONAL. If you are unable to log in during the time that it is made available for free, you can either convert gold, buy gems, or buy it with real money, if you feel the need to have that content.
“Well I don’t have alot of gold, and I don’t want to farm/grind for it”
Well did you know that you can also obtain gems through achievment chests?
From the wiki: “As an achievement reward of 400 (gems) every 5,000 achievement points.”

Also you can still access the story portion of the events 100% free without spending any gold/gems/money by being in a party with a friend/guild member/PuG when they access the content. And any open world content will be accessible by anyone regardless if LS has been purchased or unlocked for free.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Living World

cesmode.4257

All of the arguments against this change are just straight up ridiculous!

So you want to leave for 3 months and come back and be able to play? GUESS WHAT? You still can! You just can’t play the stuff that, before, you weren’t even able to buy back!

So this is a free game huh? Guess they should make everything FREE! How are they supposed to host a free game with that many workers? They already have stuff on the gem store that costs about 800 gems a piece but you all never complained about that. It should be free right? This is exactly the same principle!

It’s not impossible to log in every 2 weeks for a few seconds. Please don’t write something silly like you’re a soldier and you leave for long periods of time as I’ve seen copied on the forums a few times already. If you don’t spend that much time on the game you shouldn’t really be bothered about content you missed out on. You would have missed much more last season without the chance to re experience it through the gem store.

1. Don’t presume to judge how I spend my time. I currently do not play the game but may come back at some point. Logging in to “flag my account that I logged in” so that I get access to some content is silly.

2. Its the decision they made that is irking me. Before, all content was accessible. No gold or credit card required. Now, either gold or credit card is required.

3. For a new person that comes to the game in a year or so, they are royally screwed.

4. The company should make its money in its cash shop, but for cosmetic, vanity, aesthtic things. Not gates to content.

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Before, all content was accessible. No gold or credit card required. Now, either gold or credit card is required.

This is a misleading statement. Before, content was accessible if you logged in during the release period. And it still will be. No gold or credit card required.

If you didn’t log in during the release period, not only could you not access it with gold or credit card, you could not access it, at all.

Can’t just make stuff up willy-nilly now.

in Living World

pdavis.8031

3. For a new person that comes to the game in a year or so, they are royally screwed.

How so? a new player coming to the game in a year or so, say during season 4, will likely see the past seasons as an expansion, and an optional one at that. It was the same way for me when I started playing GW1. I only had Prophecies and factions when I purchased the game. I understood that while there was no monthly sub to play the game, at some point I would have to pay to access the previous content through expansions. Anyone coming into the game at such a late point expects not to have everything given to them for free. Anyone who is coming over from WoW, or another sub based MMO is already very familiar with this. Plus they will still have access to any open world content that was added before they purchased the game. If they want to relive the story, and again it’s optional, they can, and probably will pay the money for it.

recognize my command!”

in Living World

cesmode.4257

Before, all content was accessible. No gold or credit card required. Now, either gold or credit card is required.

This is a misleading statement. Before, content was accessible if you logged in during the release period. And it still will be. No gold or credit card required.

If you didn’t log in during the release period, not only could you not access it with gold or credit card, you could not access it, at all.

You and everyone else is missing my entire point.

I get it that before if I didnt log in I missed it, and now the same thing if i dont log in., but I can pay 200 gems for it. I get it. I get they they are trying to encourage you to log into the game frequently. But does me logging into the game for 2 minutes to flag my account that I logged in do ANYTHING to improve the health of the game? If I logged into the game for literally 30 seconds and logged out, that has done nothing for the game, and I had no intent of playing the game AT THAT TIME. All this behavior has done now is add another tick to their player concurrency stats that said I was one more person that logged into the game….

My whole point is the DIRECTION, the decision they made. I simply disagree with the decision they made to place a money gate/gold gate/currency gate on content just because I was on a break from the game.

Its the decision that I completely disagree with. Just open it up to everyone at any time and avoid this entire discussion. Make even more people happy. Why close it off an kitten off a % of us?

Thats my entire point that people are missing here…its that they sat around a conference table and said “we’ll make them pay for it if they didnt log in during the time”.

in Living World

anzenketh.3759

I think this journal idea can have a pretty negative effect on the community. Seems good to buy gems for lost living stories, to have permanent content is a long time desire.

However this might divide the player-base’s casual players and more active to hardcore players apart. Gw2 have many casual players and they don’t usually farm for money and they make gold at a much slower pace. Hardly making 1g an hour playing a few hours a day.

Grinding to get enough gems to buy a missed living story will take ages.. Not to mention multiple missed living story events due to real life situations. It would seem the upcoming changes and recent changes are alienating casual players and perhaps older players. There has been a forums post by age 30-70 players speaking up on how megaservers and recent patches are alienating them.

I believe journal idea for LS2 would further make this unenjoyable for casuals and more cater to farmers with lots of Gold to spend for gems.

Just because you have China servers now and multiple target audiences with vast cultural differences, doesn’t mean Anet shouldn’t try to accommodate to as many player bases as possible nor try to relieve some players for more hardcore/active players.

I don’t think it will split the playerbase as players who have not unlocked the content can join in on someone who has without paying for it. They will however not get the rewards or achievements for doing so. Remember this system follows personal story mecanics.

Want to rewards/achievements you will need to login at the time specified or pay the gems via gold or real life cash.

The advantage with the time argument is that it can be bypassed with real life cash. Don’t have/want to spend the cash. Well … spend the time to convert gold to gems.

1. Don’t presume to judge how I spend my time. I currently do not play the game but may come back at some point. Logging in to “flag my account that I logged in” so that I get access to some content is silly.

2. Its the decision they made that is irking me. Before, all content was accessible. No gold or credit card required. Now, either gold or credit card is required.

4. The company should make its money in its cash shop, but for cosmetic, vanity, aesthtic things. Not gates to content.

Point 1. Your choice. The idea is to get pepole like you to login and play some durring eatch release. That is why the Living World exists.

Point 2. Login and play it durring the release time. No gold or credit card required.

Point 3. I hope ArenaNet offers a bundle package after the season ends with all expisodes in the season for a reduced price. This will help alivate that problem. This could be ArenaNet’s version of a expantion pack. They could even market it as such. Sure they still don’t get it for free but they can still get it. Also new players are likely to have friends that have unlocked the expesode. So if they don’t care about achievements or rewards for it. Their friend can launch the instance for them and they can play the story together.

Point 4. What do you call a expantion pack?

But does me logging into the game for 2 minutes to flag my account that I logged in do ANYTHING to improve the health of the game? If I logged into the game for literally 30 seconds and logged out, that has done nothing for the game, and I had no intent of playing the game AT THAT TIME.

It actually does do something for the game. It forces you to keep the game installed so if you decide to play the game on a whim you don’t have the determent of “Ugh I have download and install 16GB worth of content.”

I understand your viewpoint I understand how you got to it. I disagree with your viewpoint however. See the following post for my viewpoint:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/GW2-releases-Story-Journals-Feedback-Questions-Merged/page/7#post4108637

in Living World

pdavis.8031

You and everyone else is missing my entire point.

I get it that before if I didnt log in I missed it, and now the same thing if i dont log in., but I can pay 200 gems for it. I get it. I get they they are trying to encourage you to log into the game frequently. But does me logging into the game for 2 minutes to flag my account that I logged in do ANYTHING to improve the health of the game? If I logged into the game for literally 30 seconds and logged out, that has done nothing for the game, and I had no intent of playing the game AT THAT TIME. All this behavior has done now is add another tick to their player concurrency stats that said I was one more person that logged into the game….

My whole point is the DIRECTION, the decision they made. I simply disagree with the decision they made to place a money gate/gold gate/currency gate on content just because I was on a break from the game.

Its the decision that I completely disagree with. Just open it up to everyone at any time and avoid this entire discussion. Make even more people happy. Why close it off an kitten off a % of us?

Thats my entire point that people are missing here…its that they sat around a conference table and said “we’ll make them pay for it if they didnt log in during the time”.

So you’re upset because they went with an expansion-like method of delivering content to those who missed it for one reason or another? Just like EVERY OTHER MMO who does expansions? If you were to pick up WoW right now, you’d have to by at least 3 expansions at $50 EACH in order to be caught up on the story, and content. This isn’t any different, and ITS OPTIONAL. You arguement doesn’t really make sense. It’s a model thats been around for a long time and it works. And as an “ex-player” I don’t even see how this is an issue. You don’t play the game currently, and don’t plan on playing in the future so it doesn’t really effect you at all.

recognize my command!”

in Living World

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Invalid analogy.

And yes, Im upset because…for a… free to play game…, If I leave for 3 months and come back, Id like to be able to play the content?

Well it might have become more of a F2P game then anything else but officially it is a B2P game so from that perspective it sort of makes sense.

Problem is you only pay for the story (and it’s rewards) not the content (expansions). Still I think 200 gems would be oke if that unlock all the previous episodes. Not 1 episode.

in Living World

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

This is greed. Log in, or pay. Vs a sub based game where you pay 50 cents a day for a month(15 dollars a month) and get all content ever released. I can log into WoW right now and go do Baradin Hold dallies from 2 years ago.

Not turning this into sub vs free game argument. But I do think its crap that arenanet made the conscious decision to place this content behind gems(even if its 200), instead of making it free like they said it always would be.

I haven’t logged in to play for weeks, I dont plan on it for another few months. When I return, if I ever return(cuz Wildstar is awsome), I’ll be so far behind that I’ll need to dish out the $$. Or, I have to remember every other week to log in. Like a freakin’ chore.

Actually…just pay if you miss it then, just like a sub, I’d much rather log in twice a month and get it free, and never have to pay a single dime. Thank you.

Your thread got closed because there’s nothing to complain about.

in Living World

Posted by: Turin.6921

Turin.6921

So may things wrong in this statement i do not know where to begin….

You are flaming about 200 gems that you can avoid by either just logging in or use in game money and that this is a rip -off, then your are playing wildstar (a sub-based and Play to buy game…Cool combination btw).

The reason that you can play in WoW the previous content is because your are CURRENLY PAYING FOR IT since you paid to log in. Yet you do not like it when a game tells you to either:

1. Pay for it (you know like wow)
2. Log in for a second
3. Use in game money.

And that is only for some of its content..The majority is still there for the original price.

You are basically saying that the possibility of paying for small chunks of the game if you are not active is a gready rip-off you cannot afford, as such you go and play WoW and wildstar that you have to constantly pay anyway for EVERYTHING.
Can you see the lack of logic in your thinking?

And GW2 is NOT a free game…Its a buy to play…Pay ONCE without paying constantly without end to play it. It excactly its original model….

(edited by Turin.6921)

in Living World

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I finally had the chance to watch the video and it seems like a great step in the right direction, along with temporary content, I hate that rushed feeling each story.

The only concern I had came from the 14:00 mark when C.J. said they were excited about the LS2 and some of the other major projects they are working on in the background, that they could not talk about yet. They have had teams working in the background on large projects since the game released and it seems like we are no closer to knowing what those are today two years in then we were back when they first announced this. This also leads me to believe as exciting as LS2 is being claimed to be hearing that comment I just can’t help feel LS2 won’t be delivering nearly enough of what we would expect to see two years since release.

I hope I’m wrong, I really do but if I had to theorize how things will roll out it would be like this;
LS2 commences, a small addition of area will open up c/w a new dragon and the story will revolve mostly around that for another season along with some open world changes in the areas surrounding the newly released landmass. This will be coupled with the holiday events and LS2 will conclude with the announcement of an expansion coming in 2015.
All theory and conjecture, (which is all I have since they refuse to lay out their plans and we haven’t seen a blog in forever), but based on the comment that they still cannot talk about these large projects that they have worked on it just rings true. If it goes down this way I cannot help but think how many people who supported the living story and had high hopes LS2 was the method to which they would release large volumes of content will be very disappointed and the game will suffer greatly because that will mean no major content additions for somewhere between 3.5 and 4 years.

I hope I’m wrong, I really do but I guess July 1st will tell the tale.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

in Living World

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

From the first paragraph of The Story Journal subheading:
Characters under level 80 will be able to see the available episodes, but will not be able to play them until they reach level 80.

Does this little tidbit bother anyone?

On the positive side, I’m cautiously in favor of the concept of the Story Journal. (Cautiously, because we’ve seen how good concepts can go horribly wrong.) I like the idea of being able to access Story content even if I wasn’t able to play at the time it was new. I don’t even mind the 200 gems much. The company should be able to see a modest profit for their work, IMO. Good content will be unlocked by more people and Anet will be able to see what percentage of players are willing to pay for it.

On the negative side, I haven’t seen one person in this thread mention this giant push to be L80. This game wasn’t supposed to be all about the endgame! What happened to the journey? Why should I bother with another alt, ever? Everything they’re building is for 80s. The new trait system is kitten-burgers for alts and noobs. Now alts and noobs can’t experience the Story? This is NOT a happy thing.

Exactly this !!

Although I did ask a few days ago ( being new) what there was for 80’s to do as far as PvE lvl 80 content lol.

As there does only seem to be 1 zone for 80’s .

I agree totally about the new talents sucking, having to be lvl 50+ to get some of the lvl 30 traits you want unlocked, it does not seem to be “play it your way” but morelike " play it your way BUT only how we say you may play" unless you pay lost of gems to convert to gold and use skill points you will need later to unlock stuff you need / want now from a trainer as we messed up how to unlock the traits for you .

Would be good to see some of that HUGE map we see in game unlocked and explorable even if you have to be lvl 80 to do it. seems a bit dumb having such a huge map that is 80% smudged out and unexplorable after nearly 2 yrs still…….

Having access to LS1 would be good as a newer person, as would be good to be able to see / play what is in all the videos advertising GW2… Unlike another MMO ( WoW) that take crap out and it is never seen again, yet leave remnants that are broken for new players and stories that make so sense ……

Hence why moving to GW2 in the first place !

(edited by Kohlteth.3715)

in Living World

Kohlteth.3715

I find it amusing that you mention chores and in the same post quote dailies in Baradin Hold …………….from a game where there is no fluid story, you “time jump” so many times and nothing makes sense anymore and where you already know who is going to win , then still have to go do the story even tho it makes no sense and where the Devs are killing their own game !

in Living World

anzenketh.3759

Exactly this !!

Although I did ask a few days ago ( being new) what there was for 80’s to do as far as PvE lvl 80 content lol.

I agree totally about the new talents sucking, having to be lvl 50+ to get some of the lvl 30 traits you want unlocked, it does not seem to be “play it your way” but morelike " play it your way BUT only how we say you may play" unless you pay lost of gems to convert to gold and use skill points you will need later to unlock stuff you need / want now from a trainer as we messed up how to unlock the traits for you .

Would be good to see some of that HUGE map we see in game unlocked and explorable even if you have to be lvl 80 to do it. seems a bit dumb having such a huge map that is 80% smudged out and unexplorable after nearly 2 yrs still…….

Having access to LS1 would be good as a newer person, as would be good to be able to see / play what is in all the videos advertising GW2… Unlike another MMO ( WoW) that take crap out and it is never seen again, yet leave remnants that are broken for new players and stories that make so sense ……

The advantage in Guild Wars 2 is the leveling curve from 1-80 is the smoothest and easiest to get out of any MMO. Enjoy the journey. You will be level 80 before you know it.

Also there is nothing to say that the new zones will not be only for level 80. They could add lower level open world content but have the story be for 80 only.

A bit reason why they are only having the story be level 80 is due to how it falls in the timeline. The Living world takes place after your personal story. If you do not play your personal story the living world may not make sense in the future.

in Living World

Kohlteth.3715

Exactly this !!

The advantage in Guild Wars 2 is the leveling curve from 1-80 is the smoothest and easiest to get out of any MMO. Enjoy the journey. You will be level 80 before you know it.

Also there is nothing to say that the new zones will not be only for level 80. They could add lower level open world content but have the story be for 80 only.

A bit reason why they are only having the story be level 80 is due to how it falls in the timeline. The Living world takes place after your personal story. If you do not play your personal story the living world may not make sense in the future.

I agree that it should be 80+ I am just curious why they made the map so big when only a very small part of it is even accessible and how after almost 2 yrs it is still 70-80% smudged out. I just hope that more of it gets uncovered, as my avatars love " exploring" not into PvP and WvW not really appealing. But overall loving GW2 compared to that other MMO

in Living World

Devata.6589

Exactly this !!

I agree that it should be 80+ I am just curious why they made the map so big when only a very small part of it is even accessible and how after almost 2 yrs it is still 70-80% smudged out. I just hope that more of it gets uncovered, as my avatars love " exploring" not into PvP and WvW not really appealing. But overall loving GW2 compared to that other MMO

Am I the only one wondering what ‘crap’ you are talking about? It’s mainly GW2 that did take out a lot of stuff and planned on never putting it back in. Now after a lot of complains for over a year they decided that that maybe was not a good idea after-all.

Also I sort of agree with the +80 problem but also sort of disagree. Leveling in GW2 while maybe not the hardest is sort of boring and in many ways unrewarding. There are no quest-lines to follow, no rewards to set your goal on and help you level (for example leveling a craft is mainly gold-grind not really hunting down cool recipes for cool items and level up that way, or as ranger hunting down rare pets and so on) and even exploring is not really a thing in GW2 because maps are very compacted and all the POI’s en vita’s make it more of striping of a list then really exploring and because everything is so gold-driven you get punished for leveling an alt because your drops are worth less. Lastly a lot of things are account-dailies not character dailies. For exmple JP’s (like the WvW JP’s and SAB 2). In SAB I leveled (unlocking all weapons and so on) on all my alt’s in SAB 1 in SAB 2 I only did it on my main because it was just not rewarding anymore with the alts.

However they did also make some improvements like the wardrobe system and making WvW XP account-bound.

Now on the other had, making it only for 80’s at least is a reason to level alt’s. Now if they would only make that more fun or also put in some elements (some episodes) that help you level lower level alts (in a fun way) that would be even better. So it’s a little double if it comes to the lvl 80 requirement. Story wise I don’t really see it. It supposed to be after the PS but you are not required to have the PS (what I BTW do not have on any character, I don’t play an MMO for a SP experience and find it sort of boring. I do then also hope the story system will not be to much like the PS)

(edited by Devata.6589)

in Living World

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

..You realize that you’re complaining about Anet offering you content, literally, for free, and you’re upset because you can’t be bothered to take not even two minutes of your day to log into the game, unlock the content, and then log out.

You have to do that once every two weeks. Literally one time, every two weeks, for 2 minutes, and that content is forever unlocked to your account. You don’t have do the content that day, nor do you have to do anything other than watch the toast pop up saying “You have unlocked a new episode!”.

I could understand people being irate if you had to finish the episode to permanently unlock it, but you don’t. You have to, again, log in, and it’s yours. Forever.

There is nothing to complain about this system. Nothing, Nothing. The buying past episodes is strictly for people who have no access to their PC for that two weeks for whatever reason, and is there so that they don’t feel totally left out on missing content like they did in season 1 because they were unable to get on the game.

For those of us that aren’t interested in playing GW2, but still have it installed, we can simply click the launcher, log in, and in two minutes, new content is waiting for us whenever we care to play it.

I’m all for criticizing Anet for stupid design decisions, I do it plenty of time (see: Wardrobe, LS1, the Marionette, etc.). But this? This is not one of those stupid design decisions. In fact, this is probably the smartest decision Anet has made for this game since it launched.

in Living World

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

“Because story steps for your personal story contain choices that permanently alter your character, we will not be allowing the replay-story-step functionality for the existing personal story at this time”

That was in the blog post so it gives the idea they may end up doing it one day

Indeed, “…at this time,” suggest that it may be developed in the future. Its not a concrete confirmation or the like, but it indulges the idea, and that alone tells me they’re moving in the right direction.

Hehe, I don’t want to rain on your parade, but when people out in the real world say “we’re not ______ at this time,” they don’t usually mean “we’re going to try to do it some day.”

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

in Living World

Devata.6589

..You realize that you’re complaining about Anet offering you content, literally, for free, and you’re upset because you can’t be bothered to take not even two minutes of your day to log into the game, unlock the content, and then log out.

You have to do that once every two weeks. Literally one time, every two weeks, for 2 minutes, and that content is forever unlocked to your account. You don’t have do the content that day, nor do you have to do anything other than watch the toast pop up saying “You have unlocked a new episode!”.

I could understand people being irate if you had to finish the episode to permanently unlock it, but you don’t. You have to, again, log in, and it’s yours. Forever.

There is nothing to complain about this system. Nothing, Nothing. The buying past episodes is strictly for people who have no access to their PC for that two weeks for whatever reason, and is there so that they don’t feel totally left out on missing content like they did in season 1 because they were unable to get on the game.

For those of us that aren’t interested in playing GW2, but still have it installed, we can simply click the launcher, log in, and in two minutes, new content is waiting for us whenever we care to play it.

I’m all for criticizing Anet for stupid design decisions, I do it plenty of time (see: Wardrobe, LS1, the Marionette, etc.). But this? This is not one of those stupid design decisions. In fact, this is probably the smartest decision Anet has made for this game since it launched.

I do understand the complains about playing 200 gems per episode. It’s not a problem for the active players but it is for those who did leave for a longer time or new players. For them it’s also much more as 200 gems so they need to pay much more for something that is important for the game (the story) but is not really expansion-like content. I do understand that Anet wants to have people keep logging in so that they sort of set a penalty for not doing so but then 200 gems to unlock all previous episodes would be better imho.

However I also don’t really understand cesmode’s point in this one. If you are willing to pay a monthly fee for a game then this should also not be a big problem one would think. Not to mention the login requirement to skip it because I can understand that if you are leaving for another game for multiple months you don’t feel like logging in, also not once every 2 weeks. You simple forget about the other game.

in Living World

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Keep also in mind that you can see the whole story of season 2 for free. All future players will have the possibility to be a guest in each single story instance. Nobody will miss the story.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

To the people complaining:

Would you rather be completely unable to ever see the story parts you missed, like it was in season 1?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

pdavis.8031

Would you rather be completely unable to ever see the story parts you missed, like it was in season 1?

No they want the entirety of season 1 and 2 given directly to them in the form of an expansion for free without having to do anything.No paying gems, no logging in every 2 weeks to a month. They feel that because they bought the game initially, that everything that is added to the game later should be free of charge, accesible anytime, and added to their account. And the same should be added for new players as well.

Bascially it’s a socialist viewpoint. That everything should be given to them, and that they shouldn’t have to buy/work for it, and the the company (read: anet) is an evil entity that should be stopped/punished for trying to do business and make money, because making money is greedy and wrong.

(please take note that this post is largely satirical and should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt. It is not intended to insult any one person or player group.)

recognize my command!”

in Living World

Blade Syphon.4325

I do understand the complains about playing 200 gems per episode. It’s not a problem for the active players but it is for those who did leave for a longer time or new players. For them it’s also much more as 200 gems so they need to pay much more for something that is important for the game (the story) but is not really expansion-like content. I do understand that Anet wants to have people keep logging in so that they sort of set a penalty for not doing so but then 200 gems to unlock all previous episodes would be better imho.

However I also don’t really understand cesmode’s point in this one. If you are willing to pay a monthly fee for a game then this should also not be a big problem one would think. Not to mention the login requirement to skip it because I can understand that if you are leaving for another game for multiple months you don’t feel like logging in, also not once every 2 weeks. You simple forget about the other game.

Again though, you’re entirely missing the point.

It is not difficult to log into the game once for three minutes every two weeks to permanently unlock the new LS content to your account. It’s really not. The 200 gems thing is literally just there for people who are completly unable to log in during that two weeks.

in Living World

anzenketh.3759

It is not difficult to log into the game once for three minutes every two weeks to permanently unlock the new LS content to your account. It’s really not. The 200 gems thing is literally just there for people who are completly unable to log in during that two weeks.

Or those who decided not too. But then decide later they wanted too.

in Living World

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

You mean like a sub?

Though, instead of actually buying the content, you rent it at $15 a month (assuming you’re paying on a month by month basis, since purchasing months ahead tends to give a discount). Not to mention then you got the content put behind a currency / rep grind gate on top of that.

With this system, the $2.50 you’d spend on an optional piece of content you can research before hand to see if it appeals to you makes that content yours until they shut the server down.

Now, if they do two releases a month, that’s a potential $5 (since, you know, you can reduce the amount with gold and just logging in), which is still cheaper than the $15 you’re paying to rent the content for a month.

Of course, this is all down to whether the content is worth the $2.50, which, in the end, we won’t know until it’s released.

Or those who decided not too. But then decide later they wanted too.

That’s their choice then.

They can hardly complain about the gem fee if a) their aware of it and b) still decide not to log in for a grand total of 1 minute to get the content for free.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Living World

Devata.6589

No they want the entirety of season 1 and 2 given directly to them in the form of an expansion for free without having to do anything.No paying gems, no logging in every 2 weeks to a month. They feel that because they bought the game initially, that everything that is added to the game later should be free of charge, accesible anytime, and added to their account. And the same should be added for new players as well.

Bascially it’s a socialist viewpoint. That everything should be given to them, and that they shouldn’t have to buy/work for it, and the the company (read: anet) is an evil entity that should be stopped/punished for trying to do business and make money, because making money is greedy and wrong.

(please take note that this post is largely satirical and should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt. It is not intended to insult any one person or player group.)

Hmmm interesting. Where exactly do you see anybody say that?

in Living World

Devata.6589

Again though, you’re entirely missing the point.

And new players or players who took a break for multiple months and then if it was 200 gems it’s no problem but then it’s more then 200 gems and it might stop people from coming back. Why do all the pro people act as if the complainers are talking for themselves? They are here talking about it right? That also means most of them log in at least twice a week. That also means they are not talking for themselves but for the game in general. Is that so hard to understand?

I do think that if they do this they should simply ask 200 gems to unlock all previous episodes. Or even better just start celling payed expansion once a year where you in fact get the full content of an expansion for what you pay. (and then trash the cash-shop because you earn the money with expansions)

in Living World

pdavis.8031

Apparently you missed the footnote at the end…I was exaggerating.

recognize my command!”

in Living World

Devata.6589

I did read that but I figured you meant the way you said it, not what you said.

in Living World

Blade Syphon.4325

Again, Devata, let me spell this out for you:

You, even if you are not actively playing, must log in once every two weeks, for less than three minutes, to permanently unlock the LS content, for good. That’s it. Even if you don’t regularly play, it’s not difficult at all, nor is it time consuming, to click on the little launcher icon, hop on, and go “Oh hey, new content, I’ll play it later.”.

The only valid complaint you have is, as you said, new players that are hopping in late. They’re going to find themselves behind previous story content, but they can also just buy it at their leisure. That is no different than someone hopping into an MMO five expansion cycles down the road, and having to buy the previous expansions to get caught up.

Anet will also likely offer some kind of bundle package when the season’s over for people to buy all the episodes in bulk if they missed it. And even if they don’t, you’d likely be paying around $40 for the entire set, which strikingly enough, is the exact same price as a GW1 expansion was.

You see what I’m getting at? You’re pulling at very, very long straws in your complaints on this system. Anet is quite literally offering you free content for just logging in for a few minutes every two weeks. And I’m sorry, no one totally forgets about a game they have installed on their PC unless it gets lost in the hundreds of steam games they may have.

Asking for 200 gems, which is the equivalent to what, $3, is no different than asking someone to pay for DLC on a single player game after they’ve purchased the game. A new player doesn’t have to buy the previous episodes, and can just jump into the story content where they begin. And if they like it, they have the option to either buy the story content, or ask a friend or guild mate to run them through the previous episodes sans-rewards.

Buying previous episodes is, again, made specifically for people that are completely unable to log into that week, for players returning to the game mid-way through the content, or for new players that want to see the old episodes. And even than, those people don’t have to buy them. They can just have a friend take them through the missions.

No one is being an elitist pro in this. We’re trying to explain to you, and so many others, how this system is one of the few times in recent memory that Anet has done something fair and generous to the community at large, and are directly fixing the biggest problem of Season 1, where if you missed content, you just didn’t get to see that content, period.

Would it be nice if Anet offered this content for free to players who missed it, sure. But then, I could say it’d be nice if Blizzard offered free expansions to people like me who have been playing the game since launch. But I don’t, because I don’t expect that from companies.

At the end of the day, you are getting content for free. If you are choosing not to log into the game in a two week period that it’s available and you are able, than you are making a conscious choice to do so, and there really should be no expectation that you’d get content for free when you could have spent not even three minutes hopping onto the game and unlocking that content for your account.

in Living World

pdavis.8031

I did read that but I figured you meant the way you said it, not what you said.

aaah gotcha…I suppose I could have worded it differently…

recognize my command!”

in Living World

Devata.6589

Again, Devata, let me spell this out for you:

You, even if you are not actively playing, must log in once every two weeks, for less than three minutes, to permanently unlock the LS content, for good. That’s it. Even if you don’t regularly play, it’s not difficult at all, nor is it time consuming, to click on the little launcher icon, hop on, and go “Oh hey, new content, I’ll play it later.”.

The only valid complaint you have is, as you said, new players that are hopping in late. They’re going to find themselves behind previous story content, but they can also just buy it at their leisure. That is no different than someone hopping into an MMO five expansion cycles down the road, and having to buy the previous expansions to get caught up.

Anet will also likely offer some kind of bundle package when the season’s over for people to buy all the episodes in bulk if they missed it. And even if they don’t, you’d likely be paying around $40 for the entire set, which strikingly enough, is the exact same price as a GW1 expansion was.

You see what I’m getting at? You’re pulling at very, very long straws in your complaints on this system. Anet is quite literally offering you free content for just logging in for a few minutes every two weeks. And I’m sorry, no one totally forgets about a game they have installed on their PC unless it gets lost in the hundreds of steam games they may have.

Asking for 200 gems, which is the equivalent to what, $3, is no different than asking someone to pay for DLC on a single player game after they’ve purchased the game. A new player doesn’t have to buy the previous episodes, and can just jump into the story content where they begin. And if they like it, they have the option to either buy the story content, or ask a friend or guild mate to run them through the previous episodes sans-rewards.

~.

“That is no different than someone hopping into an MMO five expansion cycles down the road, and having to buy the previous expansions to get caught up.”
It very much is, because the story might be important it’s likely not expansion-wordy. Meaning they feel they want it but might not want to pay that amount of money for it (because it’s only a story, not a true expansion) meaning they still feel they do miss a big part of the game and that might hold them back from coming in. Thats my whole point including for people who take a break. It’s all very nice that it’s their choice to not log in but if that means they might not come back at a later stage it’s still not good for the game.

You are like “it’s their fault if they don’t take the time to log back in” but how does that help the game if it means people will not come back? It does not. Is that so hard to understand?

In fact I am all in favor of moving to making money by selling expansion. But then people see much more return for there investment so they are much more likely to put down the money and then they do have everything (or they should, so no cash-shop focus then) and so don’t feel they are missing out on anything. And even then you would see that older expansion are much cheaper, only the last or last two expansions tent to be at full price. (similar to your bundle example)

I do like what they did with making it permanent, in fact I was one of the first who where on this forum stating that the temporary content was bad. It took Anet a year to figure that out but finally they did. So I am happy for that change. I also understand they want to trigger people to keep logging in by asking gems for previous episodes. All I say is that if you ask 200 gems per episode it piles up meaning that you may keep new or old players from returning so thats why I suggest to ask 200 gems for the service to unlock all previous episodes. (And I do feel that they would likely make about the same amount of money with it because people will be more likely to then spend the 200 gems to unlock all previous wile if people missed a few and have to pay 200 gems per episode they are more likely to ignore it.. if it was about the money)

Anyway it’s not about money or anything because as I see it sadly Anet is still focusing on the cash-shop to earn money and I see the gems to unlock missed episodes purely being there to trigger people to keep logging in. And thats all fine but you need to be careful you don’t make a system where you prevent new players or old players from returning. What I feel is happening here.

But maybe you could tell me what you think is so bad about what I suggest, asking 200 gems to unlock all previous episodes. You are afraid Anet well make less money or you think it’s not fair for the people who do log in or…? What is the problem? Because you have not said that.

(edited by Devata.6589)

in Living World

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

@Devata:

No, it’s not hindering people to return to the game compared to other mmos because the main content (open world stuff, new maps, skills, features, dungeons, etc.) will be free for everyone. No exclusion of players who return because they can participate in everything (yes, even story missions simply by asking someone who got it to group up and run it).

And if you don’t like the story missions after trying, then you don’t have to buy it. Simple as that. The rest of the permanent content is open to everyone – which would be the meat of the game.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!