Has Trahearne's dialogue been re-recorded?

in Living World

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I am just playing “A Light in the Darkness”, and Trahearne’s motivational speech to the troops (during the glimpse into the future) all of a sudden sounds, well, motivational, convincing and strong!

The last time I heard it, it sounded like he had taken some sleeping pills.

Have parts of his dialogue across the game been re-recorded? If so, finally and kudos!

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Yes, it was done a while ago when they restored chapter 7 (greatest fear arc) after they messed that up in the… September 2014 update I think it was, the “new player experience” feature pack. Was updated in the June 23, 2015 update.

They re-recorded a bunch of Trahearne’s dialogue for Claw Island and later (and a handful of others).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Yes, they redid it. For the most part, its better, he especially gives alot more credit to the player during the personal story than he did before.

However, i don’t like they added his monologue over the Claw Island cutscene. That was originally a very emotional cutscene with just the sombre background music and now it plays trumpets while Trehearne talks about victory. :/

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

in Living World

Ashantara.8731

Yes, it was done a while ago when they restored chapter 7 (greatest fear arc) after they messed that up in the… September 2014 update […]

No, no, no, I did this very missions just a month or two ago, and this was still the same old sleeping pill delivery of the lines instead of the great pep talk I just witnessed.

Yes, they redid it. For the most part, its better, he especially gives alot more credit to the player during the personal story than he did before.

I am not talking about the dialogue but the intonation/delivery.

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I did it very recently and it was no different than after they revamped it in the June 2015 update I mentioned.

So unless it was done in the 8/8 update, they’ve not updated it since June 2015. As far as anyone knows at least.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Ashantara.8731

I did it very recently and it was no different than after they revamped it in the June 2015 update I mentioned.

So unless it was done in the 8/8 update, they’ve not updated it since June 2015. As far as anyone knows at least.

It must have been done recently, because — as I said — I had played it only a few weeks ago and it was still the same like before. Unless I wasn’t completely overtired yesterday, I can swear this was brand new — hence this thread.

in Living World

Posted by: BobbyStein

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Next

I am just playing “A Light in the Darkness”, and Trahearne’s motivational speech to the troops (during the glimpse into the future) all of a sudden sounds, well, motivational, convincing and strong!

Have parts of his dialogue across the game been re-recorded? If so, finally and kudos!

Konig is correct. We re-recorded and, in some cases, rewrote Trahearne’s dialog in the Personal Story. We also added some updated art assets, sound effects, and fixed some bugs. What you’re hearing was released back in mid-2015 as part of the Personal Story Restoration project.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Personal-Story-Restoration-update/first

in Living World

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

However, i don’t like they added his monologue over the Claw Island cutscene. That was originally a very emotional cutscene with just the sombre background music and now it plays trumpets while Trehearne talks about victory. :/

That monologue was actually written and recorded for the game’s launch in 2012. However, a bug with the cinematic playback system was preventing the audio from being heard—for years! Our audio programmer back in 2015 fixed the bug, which finally allowed the cinematic to be played as originally intended. By then, a lot of people were used to it being silent.

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This was one of my favorite decisions made by the actors and ANet. There was a lot of criticism of Trahearne (some well deserved, some not so much). I attributed much of it to Trahearne being such a Debbie Downer (rather than a Debi Derryberry): things never end well with him, which is exactly the opposite of what you want from a Pact Marshall (even if the dude is conflicted about his own role, he should be confident-ish in front of the troops).

Matthew Brenher agreed to re-record a lot of his bits, as well as do the voices for some of the color dialogue in Silverwastes and the Rebuilt LA. He went from being one of the most disappointing actors in the game (for me) to one of the best. (Example: hang out by LA’s mystic forge and listen for an Asura remarking on the amount of weapons that Zommy is collecting.)

Big thanks to ANet and Brenher for making this happen.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Previous

BobbyStein

This was one of my favorite decisions made by the actors and ANet. There was a lot of criticism of Trahearne (some well deserved, some not so much). I attributed much of it to Trahearne being such a Debbie Downer (rather than a Debi Derryberry): things never end well with him, which is exactly the opposite of what you want from a Pact Marshall (even if the dude is conflicted about his own role, he should be confident-ish in front of the troops).

Matthew Brenher agreed to re-record a lot of his bits, as well as do the voices for some of the color dialogue in Silverwastes and the Rebuilt LA. He went from being one of the most disappointing actors in the game (for me) to one of the best. (Example: hang out by LA’s mystic forge and listen for an Asura remarking on the amount of weapons that Zommy is collecting.)

Big thanks to ANet and Brenher for making this happen.

In my opinion, our biggest failings with Trahearne at launch were that his dialog was inconsistent and that we gave him bad direction in the VO booth (my fault, not the VO director’s). Matthew Brenher is a fine actor who has range. His initial deliveries, coupled with some lackluster “first draft” lines, came off as flat. I’m glad we were able to go back and fix some of those things. I’m also happy that we wrote better dialog for him in Season 2 that made him more relatable, friendly.

Thanks for the kind words. Means a lot.

(edited by BobbyStein.2315)

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree that this was a great improvement to the story!

I actually play through the personal story fairly frequently and every time I find myself remembering how it used to be and thinking about how much better it is now.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Ashantara.8731

In my opinion, our biggest failings with Trahearne at launch were that his dialog was inconsistent and that we gave him bad direction in the VO booth (my fault, not the VO director’s).

Oh yes, that is very true, unfortunately. It pretty much ruins the character, and at some point you become so annoyed with his complete lack of intonation that you just want to strangle him in order to get some emotion out of him.

I made a thread a few months back complaining about this very issue with the character. It is by far the worst voice acting in all of GW2, which is a shame since the character has such a great conception.

Anyway, back on-topic: I must have been overtired then, because said speech really struck me as new in terms of intonation. I remembered it as ridiculously dull as most of his other lines (especially the speeches). I only started playing actively around Christmas 2015 (even though I had bought the game at release), so the previously mentioned re-recordings and changes cannot have influenced my perception.

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i personally hope they will do the rest of the PS too, in PoF for the first time i felt emotion in the dialog and that’s something the PS lacks.

in Living World

Ashantara.8731

i personally hope they will do the rest of the PS too, in PoF for the first time i felt emotion in the dialog and that’s something the PS lacks.

Woot? The personal story is the only content that is transporting and triggering emotions (depending on the paths you choose, many are super exciting and fun, others are lame).

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

Woot? The personal story is the only content that is transporting and triggering emotions (depending on the paths you choose, many are super exciting and fun, others are lame).

compared to GW1, the dialog is stale and sounds like a bedtime story from a book, when dialog sounds like someone is reading it out loud we have a problem.

in Living World

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Konig is correct. We re-recorded and, in some cases, rewrote Trahearne’s dialog in the Personal Story. We also added some updated art assets, sound effects, and fixed some bugs. What you’re hearing was released back in mid-2015 as part of the Personal Story Restoration project.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Personal-Story-Restoration-update/first

Holy crap, I’m tempted to replay the story to see if ole Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw’s death could get any more heart breaking. I mashed that F button till my keyboard broke to pay my respects.

(edited by Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497)