I Both love and hate the living world video

in Living World

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Here is the video incase you didnt catch it – http://youtu.be/f4usI3LWcHc

So lets start with the love part first, you know on a good note. I like the idea arenanet has here, the concept is good and from what we saw with flame and frost the execution will need to be worked on a little but the point is that its getting there. When i saw the next patch coming quickly and moving on i was excited as Flame and Frost was far to drawn out and this seems to be a much quicker pace which is a good sign of things moving along. Also i think all of us are excited to see south sun cove be…………… well something beyond Karka Land.

But with the good comes the bad and two main things bother me about this video. First is the fact that it exists, and by this i mean the fact that such a video was made gives me a bad feeling for those who missed out. IF you didnt get to participate its simply over and all you have to know it existed or what it was will be simply youtube videos, or when gw2 has been around long enough to have the Vet Community(Ex the people who still play wow since vanilla) explaining what happened.

The second issues is simply another part of the first and that is simply the temporary content. Now mind you the little things like the things leading up to the Molten Weapons Facility i doubt anyone will be crying they didnt get to do them, disappointing sure but not “I hate this game” Reaction. But things like the Molten Weapon Facility im sure many would have liked to run if they missed our or those who did run it would like to run in the future is simply gone. Why does a dungeon like that simply fall to the way side but the dungeons we have now stay? I mean if you beat your story then they are all of the past.

Wouldn’t it be cool to relive the living story stuff . They would then become how the personal story continued? If you where around when the living story of that was going on you simply dont do that personal story, but if you missed it you can do the personal story to know what happened.

Having this would allow dungeon such as the Molten Weapon Facility some continuity to the story once the living story is done allowing it to become a permanent fixture like the rest.

Well thats my rant

*note i resposted this here, as for some reason my other one was moved from general to Flame and Frost and this post is clearly about living story in general.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

in Living World

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Ye I know what you mean. Ive been pondering a lot lately about the living story, its priority by anet, and whether or not its getting in the way of permanent content. The living world is great!! dont get me wrong, but need permacontent as well. The two compliment each other very well, and both bring a certain aspect to the gain that other doesnt have. Temp/DE = Living, breathing, spontaneous. Perma/Missions = Personal, rewarding, one time only(invoking a uniqueness).

in Living World

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I’m personally really bummed that Living story is the only content they’re adding nowadays. It’s okay for a few moments, but it’s so forgettable and bland it’s not a meaningful endgame content. I’d compare it to the holiday festivals like Wintersday and Halloween. The “whole world is your endgame content” doesn’t hold water either, so what is our endgame content? Everyone and their grandma must be bored with dungeons and Fractals by now as they are currently. Instead of pushing the Living story down our throats, please add some permanent endgame content.

in Living World

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

I’m personally really bummed that Living story is the only content they’re adding nowadays. It’s okay for a few moments, but it’s so forgettable and bland it’s not a meaningful endgame content. I’d compare it to the holiday festivals like Wintersday and Halloween. The “whole world is your endgame content” doesn’t hold water either, so what is our endgame content? Everyone and their grandma must be bored with dungeons and Fractals by now as they are currently. Instead of pushing the Living story down our throats, please add some permanent endgame content.

If you’re looking for endgame content don’t complain about the living story. It may seem bland to you, but it’s not to me and many others. It’s also not considered endgame. I can assure you that there are different teams for people that make endgame content and people that make the living story, so it’s not the living story’s fault.

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Guild Missions are, in some cases anyway, good end game content too. They’re permanent and being added. People forget about them but I’ve had a ton of fun, particularly in Guild Rushes. Bounties not so much but I still have a few awesome experiences with them (as well as a few bad ones).

New PvP maps have been added, culling has been taken out of WvW, ranger pets have been worked out…other stuff is happening besides the living world. It’s easy to focus on this because this is the most if your face content, but let’s not forget..

Dynamic events have been added.
Jumping Puzzles have been added.
A PvP map has been added.
Ascalon Catacomb bosses and other bosses have been redone.
Guild Missions continue to grow and expand.

I’m sure more permanent content will come as well. I see the point of the living story and I like it. But I’m sure it’s not all you’ll see in the months ahead.

in Living World

Warruz.8096

Guild Missions are, in some cases anyway, good end game content too. They’re permanent and being added. People forget about them but I’ve had a ton of fun, particularly in Guild Rushes. Bounties not so much but I still have a few awesome experiences with them (as well as a few bad ones).

New PvP maps have been added, culling has been taken out of WvW, ranger pets have been worked out…other stuff is happening besides the living world. It’s easy to focus on this because this is the most if your face content, but let’s not forget..

Dynamic events have been added.
Jumping Puzzles have been added.
A PvP map has been added.
Ascalon Catacomb bosses and other bosses have been redone.
Guild Missions continue to grow and expand.

I’m sure more permanent content will come as well. I see the point of the living story and I like it. But I’m sure it’s not all you’ll see in the months ahead.

Lets Be Clear here, Bug fixes and balances changes are in no way content.
4 things have been added that is permanent in terms of content

Fractals
2 Spvp Maps
Southsun Cove (which is debatable currently its actual worth, will see over the next month)
Guild Missions

Out of the whole bunch fractals is easily the biggest and most fleshed out as it provides lots of content to work through. The spvp maps have a fair amount of use also as Spvp is in desperate need of maps. But the rest……eh , Guild missions while fun dont offer nearly the same amount of content compared to Fractals or the Spvp maps.

Im not saying im against the living story, my point really is that the living story to me seems like a waste in that things just never return. Look at the molten weapon testing facility, that was a fun dungeon. Why couldnt that be built upon and made into a full fledged dungeon rather then be tossed on the way side? I dont want to see things simply go to waste.

in Living World

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I think living story is what they are giving players who come and go, they want them to return and try new things every time they log in. An expansion will be something that adds a large core to the game, whereas living story leaves remnants of historical changes over time.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Repeating-content-Replaying-living-stories/first#post2023959

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

in Living World

Warruz.8096

Its counter intuitive , living story is good for those who are currently playing and for those teetering on playing or not. For those who left and come back there is no built up content over the time when they left, effectively for them the same amount of new content is present.

in Living World

Posted by: sanelson.4028

sanelson.4028

For various reasons I had stopped playing GW2, wether because I didn’t had time, or simply because I had other games to play, however this content made me come back, not only to experience new events but also to do “old content” things like fractals and other dungeons. Living Story brought me back, but It’s not the only thing keeping me around, like some other guys already said, Guild missions/rushes/bounties are extremely fun, there’s always something to do in GW2, you just need to find them.

Aldir Valentine
Mesmer lvl 80
Seaferer’s Rest

in Living World

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

you know far be it for me to suggest such a thing but maybe they could turn the content into instances (solo and duo) that scale.

It would make the content available to everyone and would fix the non-permanent aspect of the problem.

I hate the idea of more dungeons but at the same time I don’t see any other option because they’ll eventually want to change something again in the zones this stuff was happening in.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Living World

Posted by: Aediph.2873

Aediph.2873

These Living Story experiences remind me a bit of PnP role playing. From what I can make out from these living story experiences, the devs are the story tellers and the content continues to move us forward in the world Tyria.

That’s just my take on it, I never got to experience the Living Story events back in November 2012, but I think it’s totally fine because the story is still moving on and there’s so much to look forward to. Nice points from everyone.

(edited by Aediph.2873)

in Living World

Warruz.8096

These Living Story experiences remind me a bit of PnP role playing. From what I can make out from these living story experiences, the devs are the story tellers and the content continues to move us forward in the world Tyria.

That’s just my take on it, I never got to experience the Living Story events back in November 2012, but I think it’s totally fine because the story is still moving on and there’s so much to look forward to. Nice points from everyone.

There was no living story events till after christmas, so you missed nothing.

MY suggestion to make some worth out of them is to craft old stories into your personal story. Allow the option to skip it or not do them as they would essentially be refined/smaller versions of the event itself and they could pick up after you completed the personal story.

(edited by Warruz.8096)