I dislike Scarlet

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Yes. That’s actually fairly common business procedure: take your losses before things get worse.

It is extremely unusual that lets say a series suddenly decide to delete several months of work (and thus also putting it several months behind, which would mean literally several months of nothing released) just because some people dislike it.
As far as I remember right now it has actually never happened.

Just deleting stuff and leaving this storyline that they have been building on for almost a year hanging would most likely create way more issues than just going ahead with the plan.

Are you kidding? It happens constantly in entertainment. If a large enough part of the consumer base doesn’t like something, it’s changed… or removed entirely. That’s how it works. The last thing ANY business that’s run with a bit of sense would do is stick to it’s guns and shove something the customers hate into their faces.

The only question is, how wide spread is the Scarlet hate and whether or not a significant number of players have stepped away from the game over it.

Worth noting, we don’t know where the story is going, how it will tie in, or really anything regarding Anet’s plans for a character they’ve made quite an effort to include on a regular basis. The end result could redeem the complaints some of the players have. Maybe not, but let’s not promote this idea of scrapping all of the content to be left with months of nothing, and throw the baby out with the bathwater in our haste.

You’re saying that having bad content is better than no content at all. But this may not necessarily be the case:

If that bad content is actively turning people off of the game, it might be better to scrap it all. It depends on how much people dislike it.

Also, if they scrap what’s in development now, we’d get to see non-Scarlet content a bit earlier — that appeals to me personally.

On the other hand: Anet did create Scarlet so it’s likely if they scrapped her they’d create equally terrible Living Stories as replacements.

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Jon.1376

Jon.1376

Hey Anet! Thanks for constantly pushing out new content and not charging monthly fees. I haven’t always felt like it was the best or most enjoyable content but I do enjoy a new living world every two weeks. but I would prefer if new content was a lil more permanent

OP seems entitled

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Artiyum.7062

Artiyum.7062

World of Scarletcraft.
Scarlet Wars 2.
Scarlet Online.
Scarletscape.
The elder Scarlet.
Harry Potter and the goblet of Scarlet.
Game of Scarlet.
The lord of the scarlet: the return of scarlet.
To be continued…

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Plot twist: Scarlet is somehow related with the Elder Dragons. Perhaps Mordemoth.

You know what’s scary about this plot twist? The fact that it might actually happen.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Aurum.8793

Aurum.8793

What I, personally, find so terribly bothersome about Scarlet, and in fact Living Story updates in general, is that they’ve been woefully predictable and poorly developed for the most part.

The Aetherblades came first and, honestly, the sky pirate motif was pretty cool; however, that doesn’t change the fact that they were still a mostly one track, poorly developed new militant group. There wasn’t really any build up to them, they just sort of suddenly burst onto the scene and were immediately important. At least the Molten Alliance had the whole buildup with the fire and ice events.

Then we had the Queen’s jubilee. Can anyone honestly say they didn’t predict that the robots would malfunction? We just fought a group of technomagical pirates… It was pretty clear from the beginning of that update how it would play out. We were, however, introduced to Scarlet. Like the Aetherblades, she just burst onto the scene with little to no buildup, and was suddenly in the limelight.

I don’t think I really even need to go into the toxic alliance. Yet ANOTHER militant group that Scarlet has somehow coerced into working together. How is she managing to convince these hostile groups to align with each other? Why is she so powerful/manipulative? To have it all explained during the course of the events or at the end of them is unsatisfying to me. It seems better to lay foundation for the character before she becomes the central figure in the game, not after.

(edited by Aurum.8793)

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I would be very happy just to log in and have mail in my mailbox:

NEWSFLASH: Citizens of Tyria, it has been confirmed that the villianous outlaw known as Scarlet has been killed by a vicious risen chicken. The accident took place in the Garden of Ilya and further details to come as they become known.

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I am a fan of Guild Wars 2, and I am neither horrified or disgusted.

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Yorgie B.5618

Yorgie B.5618

1. You don’t speak for me or majority of the players so do not write posts as though you do. I’m a huge Guild Wars fan, I own all the books etc. I’ve been playing Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 since release or beta for GW2. ArenaNet DO NOT take the words of the whiny minority as the truth for the rest of the players. It will only further ruin the game for those of us that actually enjoy GW2 and the direction it is going.

2. ArenaNet has been doing well with the Living Story, I enjoy it and so do many other players. I’d rather the LS that allows all players to participate than excluding and fracturing the playerbase because of boxed expansions separating people from content and FUN (which is what I care about most).

AMD FX-8350+Sapphire R9-290
Guild Wars Community member since 2005

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Winter.3649

Winter.3649

I actually liked scarlet… the idea of a puppet master who is able to plot off the grid and remain invisible to all authorities intrigues me… Plus its like an arc to a story, it may or may not have an effect on the future arcs. So why should I get mad over a single character that will only be around for so long? (Also I just love Sylvari <3 8 Sylvari and counting)

Oh and she did say she was finished meddling with us after the Nightmare Tower and I somewhat believe her on that, her personality makes me think that she was being honest and shes going back to her research over magic and leylines… and POSSIBLE SPOILER we might need her knowledge about magic and everything in the future to combat one of the elder dragons… So itll turn into shes a bad person but we need her help… Just like in Thor 2 with Loki.

(edited by Winter.3649)

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I liked Scarlet at first, but she kind of outstayed her welcome. Too many alliances, and characters holding the idiot-ball, ruins the believability of the story. And I can’t stand it when the villain constantly gets away. I hope at some point we learn a good motivation behind her actions, but I’m kind of tired of her now.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: islarose.7356

islarose.7356

Yes. That’s actually fairly common business procedure: take your losses before things get worse.

It is extremely unusual that lets say a series suddenly decide to delete several months of work (and thus also putting it several months behind, which would mean literally several months of nothing released) just because some people dislike it.
As far as I remember right now it has actually never happened.

Just deleting stuff and leaving this storyline that they have been building on for almost a year hanging would most likely create way more issues than just going ahead with the plan.

Are you kidding? It happens constantly in entertainment. If a large enough part of the consumer base doesn’t like something, it’s changed… or removed entirely. That’s how it works. The last thing ANY business that’s run with a bit of sense would do is stick to it’s guns and shove something the customers hate into their faces.

The only question is, how wide spread is the Scarlet hate and whether or not a significant number of players have stepped away from the game over it.

Worth noting, we don’t know where the story is going, how it will tie in, or really anything regarding Anet’s plans for a character they’ve made quite an effort to include on a regular basis. The end result could redeem the complaints some of the players have. Maybe not, but let’s not promote this idea of scrapping all of the content to be left with months of nothing, and throw the baby out with the bathwater in our haste.

You’re saying that having bad content is better than no content at all. But this may not necessarily be the case:

If that bad content is actively turning people off of the game, it might be better to scrap it all. It depends on how much people dislike it.

Also, if they scrap what’s in development now, we’d get to see non-Scarlet content a bit earlier — that appeals to me personally.

On the other hand: Anet did create Scarlet so it’s likely if they scrapped her they’d create equally terrible Living Stories as replacements.

That’s not exactly what I’m saying.. Scarlet is annoying, but I’m not familiar enough with the lore or what’s going on (having been away 9-10 months) to make a judgment on the story being told. I’m hardly aware of it. Perhaps it’s a terrible story (as forum users suggest) but if I’ve played the last 4 events with little clue to who Scarlet is (until the Hallucinations) I don’t think it has that great of an impact. The events and participation achievements that come along with that story don’t seem bad to me, regardless of the crazy lady.

Coming from a game that revolved around solid storylines, I’m ok with having new, stimulating changes in the game on a regular basis.

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: narrock.6890

narrock.6890

Quick fact, I’ve never played a game because I considered it to be great literature. Typically, I enjoy games for their cheesy story lines. I enjoy the LS in GW2. If I want great literature, I’ll read a book.

then you aer settling the story is one of guild wars main selling points on the box and, the promos people want better your settling for less ALLOT less

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: narrock.6890

narrock.6890

I am a fan of Guild Wars 2, and I am neither horrified or disgusted.

we should all be I honestly can not stand you people calling this “story” good or better then dragons when generic is better then your “original stolen character” YOU ARE BAD A MAKING A story. Nobody should be defending this objectively bad story that has added NOTHING to this game, but retcons of the first it game its driving me insane people defending AND Insulting me for doing so guess what? Until scarlet is retconned out i don’t care what guys do any no matter what you make what do unless she is no longer canon in this story is dead to me. I’m not going to stand be and watch something with so much potential be ruined, by fans who cant look past a badly constructed rip of mary sue with more powers and resources then Zhaitan at this point.

i’m done with the defense of this have seen games with bad stories and, games ones with great stories but GW2 is not either its below bad its just somthing else like they are trying to make it worse then the worst. its angering me that this gets a free pass while allot better is stuck in mud with no hope getting by. This “stories” like this one and, prototype 2 are the only ones on this list its not bad its insulting that this being allowed to continue when we deserve allot more from you at this point you have proved you are above this low brow level of writing.

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

objectively bad

I don’t think you know what this means. I also keep seeing people refer to things they don’t think anyone else can like as “objectively bad” when it’s really more of an opinion they find a lot of people agree with them on.

“Objectively bad” is “Eye of Argon”, “Deadly Towers”, or “Manos, Hands of Fate”.

“Subjectively bad” is “Guild Wars 2”, “World of Warcraft”, or “League of Legends”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

I dislike Scarlet

in Living World

Posted by: Sliekery.7862

Sliekery.7862

You should eddit your titel and wall of text, just because you dont like scarlet and the living story doesnt mean others feel the same way like you. If anything Im more disgusted and horrified by your stupid claim. This thread should be removed.