I dislike paying for season 2

in Living World

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

It was free then and there’s no reason it can’t be free now aside from a money-grab.

yes, it is. So what? I dislike paying for drinks in a bar. A shame that won´t change their policies.

Not sure if you meant it, but you triggered an analogy in my mind: Happy Hour.

Bars sell drinks cheaper, and sometimes even free, to get patrons in the door. The expectation is that they’ll spend more money later that night.

This was the same thing: an enticement to keep playing.

Unfortunately, happy hour is over now. But, shall we tip a tankard anyhow, right?

in Living World

Posted by: Darkrayne.5614

Darkrayne.5614

Takes a couple days without even trying to get enough gold for 200 gems. If you get lucky and find something decent you could have enough in a matter of minutes. I mean at endgame though, not a level 80 in lower level zones. I mean Orr, Silverwastes, Fractals… etc.

in Living World

Posted by: Gomssi.7246

Gomssi.7246

Guys.. in the future, follow these steps:

1. Download teamviewer on phone and computer.
2. Set up teamviewer.
3. Remote in to download patches and content.
4. ???
5. Profit.

IIRC… if you have friends… just leech the story from them. You can access 97% (apparently achievements are like 1-3% of the dlc) of ls2 without the downloading…

(edited by Gomssi.7246)

in Living World

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

2. Set up teamviewer.
4. ???
5. Profit.

IIRC… if you have friends… just leech the story from them. You can access 97% (apparently achievements are like 1-3% of the dlc) of ls2 without the downloading…

Sharing accounts isn’t allowed. You can experience the story content of LS by joining their party though, that way is completely legitimate. (Also the content is already in the client whether you buy the permission to access it or not)

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

It’s really a small amount of money, or you can farm a couple of days and buy them with gems.

day’s….you do mean months right?……

oh and i dislike paying for HoT, it’s even less then LS2……

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s really a small amount of money, or you can farm a couple of days and buy them with gems.

day’s….you do mean months right?……

oh and i dislike paying for HoT, it’s even less then LS2……

It’s days. SW chest farming and/or dungeon tours give great returns. You also do not know what the expansion contains so to say it’s less than season 2….

in Living World

Posted by: Gomssi.7246

Gomssi.7246

2. Set up teamviewer.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Sharing accounts isn’t allowed. You can experience the story content of LS by joining their party though, that way is completely legitimate. (Also the content is already in the client whether you buy the permission to access it or not)

I don’t know if I am unclear.. or what… by partying with your friends you are leeching the story. Therefore I mentioned thag you won’t get the achievements. Which many argue is only 1% of the ls2.

in Living World

Posted by: BigBadBoy.5408

BigBadBoy.5408

I wish I could pay for the S1, just got the game this year.

IoJ peasant
PvX

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

But, you’ve made the opening poster’s point for him: 2 emails, 1 blog (that aged out of visibility 2 days later), and a mention in another article. That’s all there was to highlight this in the form of basic communication. If one missed both emails, and were casual enough that one didn’t notice the blog, one didn’t know about it.

Read this back to yourself aloud.

2 attempts at direct contact (e-mail) and mass broadcast (blog) plus publicity (article mention).

Short of coming to knock on your door or phoning you on your cellphone, this is all the recipients fault for not paying attention. 2 attempts at direct contact was practically one too many in my book – if people cannot be bothered to pay attention to a message sent directly, they’re not entitled to complain afterwards either.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I think giving out the DLC for free for those who were present at release was a mistake on their part. Because now you have people complaining they missed out on that opportunity.

But on the other hand, you had also people complaining when GW2 went on sale a few months after release, saying they felt cheated out of their money.

Both those argument fall under: I don’t like ArenaNet’s marketing methods, yet I want to have their products anyway.

Then again, now we have an expansion to pay for which is basically the same complaint, but I think that that at least means that everyone is paying the same price…..until they put it on sale after the release of the expansion, of course.

Then again this thread OP should’ve read as: I dislike paying for LS2 because I don’t like paying money for content I missed. And stopped at that, because there’s really no valid reason to complain about a product actually costing money other than just disliking to pay money in the first place.

It would be like complaining at a supermarket that they sold a new kind of beer for cheap last week (as a promotional effort they even gave away a few for free), when you were on vacation buying your beer somewhere else, and now the prices are back normal, because promotional period has ended.

(And even then, this DLC purchase is one time acquirement anyway)

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias.8632

Tobias.8632

Bit of a rant here. Just want to share my perspective on this and the living story in general.

I came back to the game for flame and frost, which was horrifically boring and involved mundane repetitive crap like running around pressing F on signposts for achievements, followed by farming an annoying and long dungeon for a 0.0001% chance of looting something I could sell on the TP for a bunch of gold. SAB was the one high point of an incredibly mediocre experience. Then there was secret of southsun, an update that was literally comprised of a crab toss minigame and again running around doing really boring trash content for achievements, so I’m like “I guess this is all the living story has to offer” and uninstalled GW2. Then apparently some really interesting stuff happened, so I reinstall the game, and I am greeted by Bazaar of the Four Winds, which involves yet again nothing but running around doing really boring trash content over and over again for achievements. Then comes cutthroat politics which involves yet again farming really boring trash content over and over again for voting tokens and also achievements. Please imagine I was screaming that last sentence, I would have typed it in all caps for emphasis but around here that gets your posts deleted.

So I uninstall GW2 again. I’ve been subscribed to the GW2 youtube channel the whole time and I see some videos about a tower of nightmares, but given my past experience I see nothing to suggest it involves any more then farming crappy content for achievements.

Then I hear about the HoT expansion, reinstall the game, and find out not only did I miss out on actually interesting LS content, if I want to check it out I have to fork over a metric kittenton of my hard earned gold thanks to the ridiculously inflated gem exchange rates, or $25 of my real dollars.

Oh well, let’s see what there is to do in GW2 now it’s been out for over two years…. well, there’s an incredibly small zone called silverwastes that I can farm an event in. Aside from that it’s like I’ve time traveled back to 2012, I run CoF, I do some world bosses, that’s all there is. If only I could actually have gone back to 2012 I could leave myself a note reminding me which parts of the game to log in for.

Considering that I spent like $90 australian for the standard edition of this game back at launch, I really feel like anet owes me a lot. I overpaid considerably for a good MMO experience and they have thus far completely failed to deliver anything but disappointment to me personally. Inb4 next post dismisses this by spouting the word “entitlement”. You’re kitten right I’m entitled. Now I’m going to fork out a bunch more cash for the HoT expansion because it’s required to make necro, the one class I’ve been playing since launch, actually good.

(edited by Tobias.8632)

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Bit of a rant here. Just want to share my perspective on this and the living story in general.

I came back to the game for flame and frost, which was horrifically boring and involved mundane repetitive crap like running around pressing F on signposts for achievements, followed by farming an annoying and long dungeon for a 0.0001% chance of looting something I could sell on the TP for a bunch of gold. SAB was the one high point of an incredibly mediocre experience. Then there was secret of southsun, an update that was literally comprised of a crab toss minigame and again running around doing really boring trash content for achievements, so I’m like “I guess this is all the living story has to offer” and uninstalled GW2. Then apparently some really interesting stuff happened, so I reinstall the game, and I am greeted by Bazaar of the Four Winds, which involves yet again nothing but running around doing really boring trash content over and over again for achievements. Then comes cutthroat politics which involves yet again farming really boring trash content over and over again for voting tokens and also achievements. Please imagine I was screaming that last sentence, I would have typed it in all caps for emphasis but around here that gets your posts deleted.

So I uninstall GW2 again. I’ve been subscribed to the GW2 youtube channel the whole time and I see some videos about a tower of nightmares, but given my past experience I see nothing to suggest it involves any more then farming crappy content for achievements.

Then I hear about the HoT expansion, reinstall the game, and find out not only did I miss out on actually interesting LS content, if I want to check it out I have to fork over a metric kittenton of my hard earned gold thanks to the ridiculously inflated gem exchange rates, or $25 of my real dollars.

Oh well, let’s see what there is to do in GW2 now it’s been out for over two years…. well, there’s an incredibly small zone called silverwastes that I can farm an event in. Aside from that it’s like I’ve time traveled back to 2012, I run CoF, I do some world bosses, that’s all there is. If only I could actually have gone back to 2012 I could leave myself a note reminding me which parts of the game to log in for.

Considering that I spent like $90 australian for the standard edition of this game back at launch, I really feel like anet owes me a lot. I overpaid considerably for a good MMO experience and they have thus far completely failed to deliver anything but disappointment to me personally. Inb4 next post dismisses this by spouting the word “entitlement”. You’re kitten right I’m entitled. Now I’m going to fork out a bunch more cash for the HoT expansion because it’s required to make necro, the one class I’ve been playing since launch, actually good.

Anet owes you nothing. You bought a game, you didn’t like what it offered and other people did. Try altering this diatribe to match any other genre.

I paid for a movie, and I didn’t like it. Sony owes me money.

I bought a book, I didn’t like it, the publisher owes me money.

You didn’t like what’s on offer and that’s okay. So you didn’t follow it or stay with it. No one owes you anything. You did receive what you paid for. That’s all. It happens.

It’s happened to all of us at one time or another. You didn’t HAVE TO uninstall the game. You chose to. You didn’t have to ignore the information that you could unlock these chapters for free. You chose to.

You’re entitled to what you got for the money. And blaming Anet because games cost more in Australia is pointless too. That has little to do with Anet and everything to do with the “Australia tax” which is pretty much universal. Sucks but there it is.

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias.8632

Tobias.8632

Anet owes you nothing. You bought a game, you didn’t like what it offered and other people did. Try altering this diatribe to match any other genre.

I paid for a movie, and I didn’t like it. Sony owes me money.

I bought a book, I didn’t like it, the publisher owes me money.

You didn’t like what’s on offer and that’s okay. So you didn’t follow it or stay with it. No one owes you anything. You did receive what you paid for. That’s all. It happens.

It’s happened to all of us at one time or another. You didn’t HAVE TO uninstall the game. You chose to. You didn’t have to ignore the information that you could unlock these chapters for free. You chose to.

You’re entitled to what you got for the money. And blaming Anet because games cost more in Australia is pointless too. That has little to do with Anet and everything to do with the “Australia tax” which is pretty much universal. Sucks but there it is.

So if you manage to trick someone into buying something with blatantly false advertising, you owe them nothing.

You and I have very different ideas about the relationship between those who create things and those who purchase them.

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

So if you manage to trick someone into buying something with blatantly false advertising, you owe them nothing.

You and I have very different ideas about the relationship between those who create things and those who purchase them.

And what was falsely advertised?

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

in Living World

Posted by: Arrk.4102

Arrk.4102

Playing devils advocate here, but “no vertical progression” was with Ascended, though I, myself, love the ascended armor.

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Yea, Tobias.8632 is way off here… “falsely advertised”? You’re every bit as entitled as you say yourself and it’s really not very appealing; this MMO has delivered on so many points and given it was B2P, the content – you got for LS1 and LS2 – was quite a lot even though much of it was temporary (at least up until LS2).

So, Anet aren’t guilty of tricking anyone with false advertising, and they don’t owe you anything.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

Next time log in during the LS.

in Living World

Posted by: Gundam Zephyr.6713

Gundam Zephyr.6713

I’ll echo what others have said: Log into the game next time if you want the content free.

Besides that, ANet has given me many hours of entertainment without forcing me to pay a single dime and I don’t feel any shame in volunteering my money to continue supporting them.

in Living World

Posted by: sarahgogo.1347

sarahgogo.1347

You can’t blame anet for not telling you to come on GW2 sooner. Anet is not the reason for you to go or come back. Anet is not the reason you missed out Season 2.

If you’re uninterested in the game because of its bore and came back because people say it’s fun, you are to blame yourself for leaving the game in the first place. Anet did announced it on website, why would he email to every one of us if you didn’t even sign up for newsletter. Anet wouldnt wanna push you around to get on the game when you don’t even want to. The website has everything you need to know and if it’s not enough for you, go on to reddit.

Basically, having to pay for a story they gave for free in the first place is reasonable. It shows how people who stayed on GW2 long enough to receive good stuff has been rewarded. They put too much effort to give it away to people who left the game and came back afterwards so easily. That’s why it does not come cheap.

Don’t complain at your own fault. Anet did nothing wrong. They are constantly updating to us new stuff every week, you were too busy to see how hard they’re doing to keep us satisfied. This goes to people who missed out the game because of personal issues too. Your personal life has nothing to do with the game because a minor problem cant be proceeded to the rest of the community who was there to experience it.

in Living World

Posted by: Valkyrie.1794

Valkyrie.1794

Personally, I’m annoyed at the “buying” of LW, but only annoyed. I didn’t have to pay for this content, so that’s a bonus to me. However, I recently got my boyfriend into GW2 and we recently pooled our (in game) resources to get him the LW story because certain other content is linked to it. He can’t get the luminescent armor without the ascended accessories from the LW achievements, and he can’t work on Mawdrey without the story.

On the other hand, GW2 doesn’t have a montly fee attached, we get regular updates, Anet is pretty good about fixing what gets broken, we had a lot of living world content that was completely free to us, and the LW content we had to buy him wasn’t absolutely needed for him to enjoy the game. While it would have been nice for people who missed it to access it for free, I appreciate not having to play it in real time and that it was free for those who logged in during certain time spans.