I don't like Scarlet Briar

in Living World

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

There is so many thing that wrong with Scarlet that her very existence itself is extreme toxic to the overall game. There is so many things about her that I did not know how to begin.

Lets see, for starter, her background story is extremely blasphemy. I cannot firmly believe that a Norn and two extremely racist races would let a Sylvari under their wing and teach her their trade of metal and machinery like that. I could not even accept that Scarlet would easily be accepted to all three Asuran Colleges and base on the ingame dialogue, excelled and graduated in record times. Not even the PC’s Asura or Zojja could do this. To add insult to the Asura race as a whole, only Scarlet, and not all other Asura, seen the Eternal Alchemy. The Asura believe and follow Eternal Alchemy but a red-headed weed seen it and embrace. With all this achievement, Scarlet have officially made the Sylvari as the smartest race and not the Asura. To go back to the Norn and the Charr, I find it quite annoying she would insult them after she learn from them.

From here, we kick start about her army. How the hell would Scarlet maintain an army that big in the first place? I cannot see Scarlet as a competent leader nor a type of person to have such an army when she act so childish. Speaking of armies, all three of them conflicted their existence as Scarlet Army. The Flame Legion? How can a group of charrs that is extremely racist to other races would allow Scarlet into their rank? Last time I check, the Flame Legion force their female charrs into the kitchen and kill and enslave any other races within their grasp. How it is a the Flame Legion is taking orders from a FEMALE SYLVARI? From here, we go to the Dredges. Apparently, they hate the idea of being enslave because their race have spend CENTURIES under slavery but is willing to follow Scarlet, who view her Aetherblades as abusive slaves. The Dredges freed themselves from such torment (and if it take place after the Sorrow Furnace Explorable, from their OWN leader) only to follow Scarlet and have themselves abuse again. How does this make sense, and why are they willing to work for her if she was an extreme example of their former masters? Oh and speaking of slave, where the hell the Aetherblades comes from and why the hell would they put themselves to work for such a sadistic boss like Scarlet? I know the Aetherblades recruit new members when the Aetherblades hideout was reveal at Lion Archs, but I cannot fathom the idea WHY would they stay with her if it meant death to them if they remain loyal to her. I heard too many times that they rather die than to get Scarlet mad.

(cont)

in Living World

Qawsada.4251

(cont)

And from here, we will talk about the Living Story itself. Apparently, Scarlet causes nearly everything in the story and she is to blame. So when you think about it, all of these events all lead up to the introduction of Scarlet. Her childish behavior when she first appears in the Pavilion felt so underwhelming. It felt more underwhelming when she spoken out that she would get the queen, which cause the Shining Blade to prepare such an attack, and watch her announce her bombing and taunting everyone, giving everyone time to destroyed the said bombs. Granted, she manage to bomb the citizens where Logan was guarding but still, its just felt so underwhelming to hear her say “Die die die die die” or other childish comment during that event. Its not just that. Its seem that Anet is willing to shove Scarlet in any content they could do. The game shove our faces that Scarlet exist when an invasion occurs. The Twilight Arbor? Lets remove a content that is relevant to the Sylvari lore and add in Scarlet’s base, which has zero to do with the Sylvari lore. Hell, I could not accept the idea that the Nightmare Court are okay with Scarlet building a hideout in the HEART of the Nightmare Court’s base. I cannot imagine what in store in the future. They might shove Scarlet in the Thaumanova Reactor Fractal and ANet/Angel Mccoy say she did that. Hell, they might even ruin the Wintersday Event and make Scarlet the “Grinch” of that event. At this point, they might as well call it Scarlet Story instead of the “Living” Story. It just seems that Anet think that its more important to follow a poorly written story about a mary sue sylvari than to write about the true threat that Anet advertise for years, the Elder Dragons, and Anet is willing to let Scarlet run away numerous of times just to keep it that way.

And finally her character herself. Combining all of these words combined, I cannot help NOT to think of her as a mary/villain sue. I get it that ANet/ Angel McCoy tries to copy the Joker but not only they fail in that, they tarnish Joker’s good name in it! We all know that the Joker has that random action to it, but at the very least he was made as an antithesis to Batman. Batman is the source of the infinite amount of jokes that the Joker can play off with and it would seem that the Joker will NOT kill the Batman for this very reason. Without Batman, Joker cease to exist and this was shown a handful of times in the comics. Not only that, the Joker was caught (whether it was planned or not) numerous of time by Batman and sent to Arkham Asylum. What do we have here with Scarlet? Just some mad bomber that tries to act like the Joker but falls flat on her face. Her rambling is nothing to joke about and she fail numerous time to kill the players if Anet/Angel Mccoy want us to think we are Batman. If she is close to dying in an invasion, Scarlet just runs away every freaken time. And her voice? I find it shocking that players would rather keep Scarlet because she was voice by Tara Strong. I hate the idea that Anet is willing to pay so much money (FROM OUR OWN POCKETS) on a VA like Tara Strong just to voice Scarlet. That to me is just shameful.

I do not think there is anything else to add, if I forgotten any.. I do not like Scarlet and her death (if that even occur) is too good for her. I would rather that they retcon her out of the game itself.

(edited by Qawsada.4251)

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I like Scarlet Briar.

in Living World

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

The scarlet ploy itself makes no sense, and using her as staple for all others just furfher slaps consumers more interested in the story.

Ive said it before, I will say it again, my character who I am become attached to, and even loved my personal story lead me to Orr, but if we truly succeeded, then why are their still risen, furthermore, why is Tequatl still around if we axed him.

I know its a method of inacting new materials in the same land. But really, this is a grandnexample of why they need to expand the map, for new content. To further or story, of course, at the last stage of our story, thats where the Living Story should take hold.

There are way to many problems with the current design and meaningless living story content, which is why I no longer play certain MMOs.

Really, they should have just stuck with their dragons. They can still sort of same things if they choose.

How you ask?

We all wake up, Tyria slept, emerging into erroneous nightmares, for the nightmare court in their quest to bring forth a minion of their own to win their conflict, bringith forth a new dragon, a true nightmare, that feasts on our dreams.

Yes, it is a bit cliché, however, it brings us back to our real purpose.

in Living World

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

This is a summary of what I think about what the Living World has given us so far

I do not like Scarlet as a character, i do not like fighting the aetherblades they were ok at first but i’ve seen enough, the stories so far in LS are mediocre at best. Also I do not like getting a new to-do list every two weeks once a month is plenty.

I do like some of the things that the Living World has given GW2

SAB
Tequatl Rising
Aspect Arena
Candidate Trials
South Sun Survival
Queens Gauntlet
Molten Facility
Aetherblade Retreat
Twilight Assault

Now I realize that those dungeons are populated with Aetherblades and Scarlet holos but the dungeons could have been populated with any other kind of mob and villain and they still would be good. What i’m getting at, if you’re going to give us fun things to do you don’t have to work so hard to crank it out every two weeks and I don’t really need a to-do list attached to that either that makes it feel like a homework assignment and takes the fun out of it. If you’d like to add more stories to GW2 that’s fine too but take your time come up with something we care about, something that’s engaging and that doesn’t drag it out for weeks because you feel you need to fit into a rigid bi weekly schedule, give us a nice near expansion worthy story, or just a total expansion when you feel like it, no rush.

(edited by MastaNeenja.1537)

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

She’s had her chance to impress/intimidate, and she squandered it completely by the end of Clockwork Chaos. Most of the things she’s accomplished are just nonsensical and seem to just ignore the lore regarding them. She’s supposedly so smart, yet her only real victory so far was indirectly killing one Captain on the Lion’s Arch Council, which became pointless in the long run. Supposedly she’s got a bigger plan, but all I’ve seen is “hey let’s kill everyone” from her endeavors so far.

in Living World

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I don’t hate Scarlet, but I do hate the slow, less than lesiurely pace that Anet is taking with bringing out her motives and story. I even heard somewhere that Scarlet is stuck with us in the game for years, not months. I don’t mind that, but Anet needs to give me more reasons why I should hate that psychopath and want her dead, but for now….meh, just another villian…

in Living World

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I like Scarlet Briar.

I like the character but I don’t like her backstory/history/biography or what they’re trying to do with her. I don’t think it works/fits/suits her. To me she’s not nemesis material. I think she’d work better as a mysterious minor background character who appears at random, sometimes to help, sometimes to hinder, but who isn’t all about trying to do immanentize the eschaton or whatever it is she’s currently doing.

The table is a fable.

in Living World

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Scarlet might be an interesting character. We don’t know that yet, as nothing of a sort was presented in game. Furthermore, like so many people in countless threads here have posted, she feels so disconnected from the rest of the story, real GW story. There are so many loosed ends from not only GW1, but also MAIN GAME GW2 itself: Personal Story, Pact story, Destiny’s Edge, future of Orr etc. So this much focus on a plain cardboard-cutout character who is evil for teh lolz feels like a distraction. People bought this game with some expectations, and judging by the cries of outrage, those expectations are not being met with the whole Scarlet business.

I don’t hate Scarlet per se (even though she is quite poorly written from what we’ve seen), but I do hate how they’ve implemented her into Tyria and the way LS is progressing (or not progressing at all, some might argue).

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Living World

Posted by: Kingmutez.4931

Kingmutez.4931

I still remain indifferent about about her. shes ok i guess. ill reserve my judgement until i see how this all pans out, otherwise it would be judgmental and cynical of me to make claims about things i don’t fully understand. (life lesson here)

in Living World

Posted by: BaronSolace.6831

BaronSolace.6831

Sure is keyboard warrior in here

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

If Scarlet is supposed to be a personal nemesis, then she is a very poor one.

Perhaps she is for Ellen Kiel and the Lionguard, who she has personally crossed, perhaps she is for Caithe who she has personal issues with or even Queen Jennah who she has tried to assassinate.

For me and my character Scarlet means virtually nothing, it is not like she attacked my home instance or anything. Is she supposed to be my nemesis because she attacked people that I barely have any dealings with? I get nemesis because she is unbeatable, but personal is quite the stretch, if she is anything to my character then she is more of a casual nuisance.

Maybe they meant personal as in the opposite, for example the Trahearne orientated Orr `personal´ quest chain. I am not sure if the Arena Net writers really understand what the word personal means.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

(edited by Aedelric.1287)

in Living World

Qawsada.4251

snip

Heh, yeah. Its totally a problem when Anet said some random NPC is your nemesis and this would seem out of no where when you got a returning player or a new player involved. Unless these players were there at the time of the event occurs, then they would not know how or why that weed was their nemesis. At least the Personal Story has some NPC that act like a nemesis to your PC and they are always viewable when you start the PS rather than doing the quest in some obscure real life time and date.

in Living World

Posted by: Talyn Sneider.1825

Talyn Sneider.1825

Let me start by saying that scarlet isn’t a character i like…but…i can see a plan to all her actions:

1st She’s a genius and she is quite mad, she in my humble opinion wants to be a God, to create a perfect race

2nd All she’s done so far is research and manufacture, she started by studying weapons and securing the means to build an army, hence the molten alliance, from that she formed the aether blade pirates which served as her shock troops to set the next step of research in motion. In this step she starts to experiment with automatons of life forms…prototypes to her twisted idea of the perfect life form.

3rd She now starts biological experiments to create new life-forms (another step of the research to create the perfect race)…this makes me think she wants to fuse mechanical and biology into a unique lifeform

So in mho the next logical step will be to address the asura and incorporate them in the project (she is a genius but even so she needs the manufacturing capabilities of the asura) and after she gets that, and mind my opinion she will, she’s a genius and she planned ahead she will start to deploy her true mad vision of life a mix of mechanical and biological thralls of each race.

Only at the final step will we, as players, understand the beauty of her plan, she has slowly built knowledge and power using a mascarade of childish behaviour and madness, but let me assure you her threat is indeed real and we will come to regret not taking her seriously…

Prepare for a mad scientist genius to take evolution in her hands…

Casual pvp’er – Can only play 2-3 hours a day

https://www.gw2pvp.de/profile/ab4bd8fa4c3f250ac9533c479b0b862b/

in Living World

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Scarlet is annoying like a kids cartoon villain.

Elyl Jrend

in Living World

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

She is not a bad villain at all. GW 2 is a very deep story that you must play ever piece of content to under stand it all. Just look up wooden potatoes and another guy in the lore section’s thread on their videos… Watch the videos! You will have it all explained to you with glaring evidence. Also where the Atherblades come from… how Jubilee. Infinity ball personal story, and scarlet relate to Thaumanova reactor meltdown/fallout and why Tequatal is much stronger. We are soon getting a Thaumanova Reactor Fractal as well (cause we all voted for Ellen Kiel btw).

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

in Living World

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

There is so many thing that wrong with Scarlet that her very existence itself is extreme toxic to the overall game. There is so many things about her that I did not know how to begin.

Lets see, for starter, her background story is extremely blasphemy. I cannot firmly believe that a Norn and two extremely racist races would let a Sylvari under their wing and teach her their trade of metal and machinery like that. I could not even accept that Scarlet would easily be accepted to all three Asuran Colleges and base on the ingame dialogue, excelled and graduated in record times. Not even the PC’s Asura or Zojja could do this. To add insult to the Asura race as a whole, only Scarlet, and not all other Asura, seen the Eternal Alchemy. The Asura believe and follow Eternal Alchemy but a red-headed weed seen it and embrace. With all this achievement, Scarlet have officially made the Sylvari as the smartest race and not the Asura. To go back to the Norn and the Charr, I find it quite annoying she would insult them after she learn from them.

From here, we kick start about her army. How the hell would Scarlet maintain an army that big in the first place? I cannot see Scarlet as a competent leader nor a type of person to have such an army when she act so childish. Speaking of armies, all three of them conflicted their existence as Scarlet Army. The Flame Legion? How can a group of charrs that is extremely racist to other races would allow Scarlet into their rank? Last time I check, the Flame Legion force their female charrs into the kitchen and kill and enslave any other races within their grasp. How it is a the Flame Legion is taking orders from a FEMALE SYLVARI? From here, we go to the Dredges. Apparently, they hate the idea of being enslave because their race have spend CENTURIES under slavery but is willing to follow Scarlet, who view her Aetherblades as abusive slaves. The Dredges freed themselves from such torment (and if it take place after the Sorrow Furnace Explorable, from their OWN leader) only to follow Scarlet and have themselves abuse again. How does this make sense, and why are they willing to work for her if she was an extreme example of their former masters? Oh and speaking of slave, where the hell the Aetherblades comes from and why the hell would they put themselves to work for such a sadistic boss like Scarlet? I know the Aetherblades recruit new members when the Aetherblades hideout was reveal at Lion Archs, but I cannot fathom the idea WHY would they stay with her if it meant death to them if they remain loyal to her. I heard too many times that they rather die than to get Scarlet mad.

(cont)

Attachments:

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Suprisingly, I liked Scarlet’s whispers in the corridors during Nightmare Tower instances. Sadly, I don’t like anything else about Scarlet. Good thing that she leaves for now

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Tachenon.5270

(cause we all voted for Ellen Kiel btw).

(I did not.)

Anyway. I think Scarlet would be an interesting character if not for all the uberly uber uberness, but as the arch-villain of the Undead Story I say “Fie, fie, fie!”

The table is a fable.

in Living World

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Suprisingly, I liked Scarlet’s whispers in the corridors during Nightmare Tower instances. Sadly, I don’t like anything else about Scarlet. Good thing that she leaves for now

Agreed! They were actually…well…villainous. Some were downright menacing (like the one about remaking you in clockwork…after you were dead).

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Living World

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

Too long.
Didn’t read.
Be more concise.

in Living World

Tachenon.5270

Too long.
Didn’t read.
Be more concise.

I will use a picture. It’s worth a thousand words. Well. With inflation, more like twenty four thousand, three hundred and ninety.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

in Living World

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

She is not a bad villain at all. GW 2 is a very deep story that you must play ever piece of content to under stand it all. Just look up wooden potatoes and another guy in the lore section’s thread on their videos… Watch the videos! You will have it all explained to you with glaring evidence. Also where the Atherblades come from… how Jubilee. Infinity ball personal story, and scarlet relate to Thaumanova reactor meltdown/fallout and why Tequatal is much stronger. We are soon getting a Thaumanova Reactor Fractal as well (cause we all voted for Ellen Kiel btw).

WP’s lore vids (at least in regards to GW2) are nothing but theories… trying to find some kind of connection between the LS updates and GW2 at large, or at least an overarching storyline between the LS releases because none have been provided despite a year of storytelling.

There’s a reason he’s stopped talking about the lore of GW2… and honestly he seems happier playing an old Xbox game.

in Living World

Posted by: Heta.8629

Heta.8629

According to the forum code of conduct you should use the search function and add your dislike of scarlet to the multiple other threads about this topic. There’s no need for a new scarlet hate thread to show up every other day. About the molten alliance if you used the wiki you could learn a lot. The dredge and flame legion worked together because both thought they could benefit from working with each other