Is Season 2 worth buying?

in Living World

Posted by: Orimidu.9604

Orimidu.9604

Came in late to the party. I know the bundle will be back hopefully soon, so here are the questions:

1. Is S2 worth the money? Good story, good gameplay? I’m not too interested in achievements but I love following stories.

2. What is the price of the bundle in comparison to each separate episode? (1600 gems total separately, I know that)

3. How much of Season 2 is personal? I want to continue following the Pact in my position as Commander. In fact I’m hoping HoT is like what Factions was to Prophecies in terms of new content.

in Living World

Posted by: Elijah.1436

Elijah.1436

1. In my opinion season 2 is a lot better than the personal story. Very good story, interesting reveals and challenging fights.

2. The price of buying them all is the same as buying them one by one.
(hope I got what u meant?)

3. The pact is there but you’re leading the group as leader for Kasmeer Meade, Braham Eirson, Marjory Delaqua, Rox and Taimi. In fact the story goes beyond the pact and reveals interesting things about Caithe and the sylvaris, which is important to HoT.

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The bundle isn’t gone, it’s under the upgrades tab. The bundle is 20% cheaper than buying the episodes individually.

If you only want to see the story, you can join someone else’s instance for free. You will not receive any rewards or achievements however.

As for being the Pact’s commander, you’ve basically retired.

in Living World

Posted by: Orimidu.9604

Orimidu.9604

Retired? I don’t want to retire. This is MY story dangit! I won’t be happy if I don’t have an experience like Zhaitan. Planning attacks, counseling Trahearne, being a bigger part of the war beyond doing missions for an Order…that’s what I’m here for.

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You’re referenced as the commander still and you do eventually meet up with the Pact and Trahearne, but the Pact is now fully controlled by him while you’re off on other adventures. During one of the episodes when you meet up, you can ask him about your duties.

Besides, if you were still by Trahearne’s side, you would have probably…

… died:

https://youtu.be/D4Vfjr6vSsc

(in-game season conclusion video/HoT reveal)

Compared to the personal story however, I guess it’s actually the same. Trahearne was always in control while you went off on special missions. That’s basically how your role continues to be played out once you meet up, with Trahearne asking you to do stuff.

(edited by Healix.5819)

in Living World

Posted by: Elijah.1436

Elijah.1436

I feel like I’m the Eir Stegalkin with my new crew. I’m part of something bigger than the pact. And you will see that as you play the story. That what you do is better than what Trahearne does. I think my character were much more in focus than in personal story. And I love that they call me boss.

in Living World

Posted by: Dawnbreaker.6215

Dawnbreaker.6215

1. Absolutely. See it this way: by buying Season 2, you are getting several more hours of enjoyable, non-grinding gameplay. The story is great, the characters are great, it’s just like buying any good solo adventure game on Steam, except it’s cheaper. You get to see more of how magic and dragons work in Tyria, what’s happening with the Sylvari and Mordermoth, the successors of Divinity’s Edge, and you even get to see what the Eternal Alchemy is.

2. Still 20% cheaper right now.

3. It’s not as custom as the main story. With the main story, you get a different beginning depending on the background of your character. Here, characters will refer to you based on what you have done previously (for example, for me as an Asura, Taimi will sometimes comment on me being the Snaff savant or other things). On top of that, you also have to chose between two courses of action like in the main story, but it all ultimately leads to the same thing.

in Living World

Posted by: Nanashi.6297

Nanashi.6297

Well it depends. If you are not interested into story or skins then there is not much reason to buy it.

The only reason why I’d advise people to not buy it (yet) is that we basically get a cliffhanger at the end. Well but on the other hand that’s “fixed” if you just don’t play all episodes before the release (or shortly before that) of HoT.

The story is relatively interesting (although predictable at some points). I personally enjoyed it. I know a lot of people didn’t though.

And the achievements can be quite fun (some are tedious though. Especially if the story sequences of that step are long. You can’t skip them and they just don’t stop talking >.< after hearing the same conversation the third time it gets really annoying).

As for your third question. The story follows the group “you” gathered in living world season 1. But you get to see the pact at the end of season 2 for a while. But it’s overall more like Destiny’s Edge you met in the personal story kind of thing.

in Living World

Posted by: Valgar.9576

Valgar.9576

Hey I just asked a question now on the forum to see whether you can play season 2 with someone who has already unlocked it and apparently you can,
So if you want to play it just for the story line then you don’t need to pay, just find someone who has already unlocked it to run through it with you.
Don’t know why people don’t do this.
The only downfall is you don’t get any rewards or achievements from it, but you seem mainly interested in the story line so no problem right>

in Living World

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

LS2 is not worth a single penny.

in Living World

Posted by: pitrelli.5361

pitrelli.5361

how many achievement points does season 2 give you?

in Living World

Posted by: Tryhard Pants.9745

Tryhard Pants.9745

LS2 is not worth a single penny.

This. I regret paying for it after the first episode. I haven’t played season 1 so I have zero connection to the characters. Anet doesn’t want players to miss out on content? Fine but how about giving them some background to past events?

Apart from that the story seems just as boring and uninspired as the personal story. Bland characters who I don’t care about and dialogue that is neither funny nor particularly interesting.

in Living World

Posted by: TaggSilar.6475

TaggSilar.6475

Are there any rewards that make it worth the purchase?

in Living World

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Season 2 is the best GW2 story so far. The gameplay scenarios are interesting, with some being quite epic and cinematic (even while in battle). The pace between instances is perfect, and resembles that of a single player, story-driven RPG, where the story “unfolds” as you explore the new maps, talk to the npcs and “trigger” new instances. The rewards are a neat bonus, but not worthwhile by themselves, relative to the cost of gems – unless you play with different alts. The achievements add replay value and range between annoying to interesting.

In other words, it blows the personal story experience out of the water.

Are there any rewards that make it worth the purchase?

Episode 6, I think that’s the one, rewards you with a black lion key for each alt character you complete with (plus any other rewards gotten in the way). For 200 gems, that’s definitely worthier than buying a single black lion key individually.

Outside of that, the rewards are nice, but not nice enough to justify the 1280 (bundle) gem price. Still, if you’re going in for the story and the gameplay experience, they makes up for it. It’s the best story content this game has to offer.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in Living World

Posted by: wxnerdjenn.2341

wxnerdjenn.2341

I got the game at release, but as I was still fully hooked on WoW I just got around to leveling my first GW char to 80 this week. I finished my personal story (so cool IMO) and started on season 2. I was bummed I missed out on season 1, but figured I’d give 2 a go. Bad idea. I can’t get past the first part :/ I know no one who plays or I’d just ask for help. Perhaps I just really suck, but my ele gets destroyed before I can make a dent in mobs. Maybe I’ll give it another go when my warrior hits 80, but for now, I can’t say I’d recommend it lol.

in Living World

Posted by: Oolune.4357

Oolune.4357

If you like story, definitely. All you need to do is look at all the discussion about the story and about trying to figure things out on the forums/reddit and it should become apparent that it is worth getting if you care about the story.

You also get easy access to some pieces of Carapace armor with it.

Of course, this depends on how attached to your money you are. If you don’t like spending money, maybe see if a friend/guildy/random people will let you tag along to witness it all. But I personally really enjoyed them and find it worth it.

Tarnished Coast
Oolune :: Engineer — Arrow Of Oolune :: Human Ranger -- Shadow Of Oolune :: Human Thief
Box The Turtle :: Human Warrior — Bolobuns Of Steel :: Human Guardian

(edited by Oolune.4357)

in Living World

Posted by: Blackstone.1928

Blackstone.1928

Bought the bundle played 5-7 episodes and regret the purchase. Story is bland and gameplay is gimicky. Rewards so far are marginally better for my just leveled to 80 character.

in Living World

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

I would just watch youtube vids of it and skip buying it.

But you could also save up gold, convert them to gems and buy it that way, I heard a few people do that xD

in Living World

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

how many achievement points does season 2 give you?

While I don’t know those numbers, there is one important aspect of the achievements for season 2, and that’s mastery points.

Basically, if you aren’t interested in completing those uber expensive collections, you have to get the mastery points from season 2 if you want to unlock all the masteries for Central Tyria.

in Living World

Posted by: Moderator

We’re going to go ahead and close this thread, as the information in the thread may be out-of-date from patch-to-patch.