Living Story Season 2 is a Big Mistake...

in Living World

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I was expecting more Personal Stories, Story Dungeons, Exploreable Dungeon, Jumping Puzzles, Dynamic events, and permanent content to explore new zones in that Nature, but instead, we get Living Story Season 2!? More Temporarily content?

You cant tell a good story through Temporarily contents because New players and returning players will have no idea what’s happening. They dont get the chance to see the character development in the story and worst of all, they dont get to experience the story at their own time.

People have work, people have lives and it’s cool to have permanent changes but it’s not cool to take away content and story within the game.

By making story contents permanent, you give people the chance to progress and explore the lore within playing the game. You let them play at their own time. This is why Personal Story idea works but Living story fails. Sure, the execution of the Personal Story wasn’t that great but it doesnt mean you cant improve with the tools you got, or make better tools for it.

If I cant play the content when I want and I’m forced to play it in a certain time frame to experience it and the story then I’m not having fun. And If I’m not having fun then I’m not going to do it. Thus, I’ll be missing out on a lot of Season 2 content just like I have with Season 1. Thanks again ArenaNet…

(edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265)

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Considering a Dev stated Living Story Season Two will consist of permanent content, what is your source of information stating Season Two will be only temporary content?

in Living World

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

and what proves you that the dev’s will actually do as they say?

Remember precursor crafting?

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I guess we won’t have long to wait to find out…only ~4 weeks. =)

in Living World

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Afaik, precursor crafting has never been cancelled. This means the best inference we can make is that it has been back-burnered. If you’re looking for an example of devs actually changing their tune, look at max stat gear.

in Living World

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

Yup #hope since 2012 :P

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

in Living World

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

LS 2 is most likely opening up with a new permanent zone.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

in Living World

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

1. Opening up with new permanent zones is awesome with tons of new Dynamic Events and jumping puzzle to experience.

2. Keeping contents permanent is exactly what I want so the game expands with more things to do instead of taking things to do out.

3. Experiencing the Story should always be part of the permanent content to allow everyone to experience it at their own time so character development is told properly.

But for now, assuming Season 2 will be like Season 1 in terms of temporary content driven story… I think it’s a big mistake…

in Living World

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Maybe Living Story permanent content will be Like the destruction of Lion’s arch? I mean it’s still destroyed right?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

in Living World

Posted by: Corax.7381

Corax.7381

Why do people seem to think nothing permanent was added in S1? Because TA Aetherpath is hard/annoying and no one runs it, so it wasn’t actually added? That wasn’t all that was added. You don’t need a whole new zone (though it seems like we’re getting at least one with S2) to add more Dynamic Events/Renown Hearts, Jumping Puzzles, etc, which ANet did in S1. I saw enough changes upon my return – like kittening Lion’s Arch being completely destroyed, the new Events/ruins of the Nightmare Tower in Kessex Hills, the Aetherblade JP – to know that, hey, something happened in the time I was gone. I didn’t need a whole new zone to understand that ANet had actually updated their game.

On the topic of temporary content though, I like that they’re bringing at least some of it back (Festival of the Four Winds, maybe Dragon Bash) so that I can get those achievements I missed. They should continue in this way, so long as it makes sense story-wise.

Even if the story part of S2 is temporary, ANet may increase the time you have to experience this content. 2 weeks is a bit short, but a month is better. The question is, will people get bored of it or will it offer enough rewards to keep them interested for all that time? Hopefully.

“Quaggan will kick your tail so hard it slaps you in the face!” – Willoo

in Living World

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

1. Opening up with new permanent zones is awesome with tons of new Dynamic Events and jumping puzzle to experience.

2. Keeping contents permanent is exactly what I want so the game expands with more things to do instead of taking things to do out.

3. Experiencing the Story should always be part of the permanent content to allow everyone to experience it at their own time so character development is told properly.

But for now, assuming Season 2 will be like Season 1 in terms of temporary content driven story… I think it’s a big mistake…

How often do you enjoy dynamic events and jps in Southsun Cove these days?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Living World

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

As long as there’s more permanent content, I’ll be happy.

… Still waiting on that Tribal armor, by the way. :S

in Living World

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

The Southsun Cove jumping puzzles take not even minutes, but seconds.

Karka Queen is a pretty cool DE web.

in Living World

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

If you’re looking for an example of devs actually changing their tune, look at max stat gear.

So you expect the devs to lay out their plans for the game years before release and never deviate from that plan, even when the players ask for something different?

They have a responsibility to create a game for millions of players, not just you. The devs are only human and don’t always make the best decisions, but these decisions are made for the health of the game as a whole, not to pacify whoever yells the loudest.

in Living World

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If you’re looking for an example of devs actually changing their tune, look at max stat gear.

So you expect the devs to lay out their plans for the game years before release and never deviate from that plan, even when the players ask for something different?

The players didn’t ask for gear stat progression (well, some did, but it was a tiny, tiny minority even on forums). They asked for more endgame content, new zones, new skins (as well as raids, mounts and holy trinity). Anet decided to go that way on their own, barely two months in the game (less, if we consider that they had to start developing it some time before the November 11th patch).

And yes, i did expect Anet to keep to the core values of the game, or at least inform players they intend to change them in advance. I certainly didn’t expect them to do it out of the blue, all the while claiming that nothing important has really changed, and that was the plan all along.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Living World

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

The LS season 2 will for sure get some new zones in fact I am pretty sure it will start with opening one or more new zones. What in all honestly does not make me so happy as I would rather see them putting that in a expansion and step away from the cash-shop promoting LS.

Anyway, that said, while I am sure we get some new zones I am not so sure that the nature of the LS itself will not still be temporary content.

Me and with me many others did suggest permanent content as LS since the beginning of the LS and did foresee the problems of people getting burned out by the temporary stuff. Anet said they listened and would do something about it but they didn’t. Complains only grew and well ’ we where right’.

So now with LS S2 sure they might throw in a new zone (and I am happy for getting new zones, let there be no mistake about that) but I am afraid most of the LS will just stay temporary. Temporary activities, temporary achievements and temporary rewards. Basically the worst about the LS because it gives you the pressure of doing it now or losing out on the activities, achievements and rewards forever.

So far for ‘play the way you want’. However that is something that is the least in this game. If you play the way you want you get punished for it, or to be more exact you get rewarded for doing it another way. Don’t want to grind gold? Well then you are already multiple steps behind, don’t run with the zerg in WvW then you won’t get the 10 required achievements (This season I decided to just play WvW the way I wanted and now I have 5 of the required 10 achievements), don’t complete the LS achievements list now? Miss out on the activities, achievements and rewards forever.

So I do hope that they learned of it and that the LS S2 will be permanent but I am afraid it won’t. However I am sure we will get new zones and I think we will have at least one within a few days.

in Living World

Devata.6589

Considering a Dev stated Living Story Season Two will consist of permanent content, what is your source of information stating Season Two will be only temporary content?

He said they did listen to the community and that there would be permanent content in LS S2. He did not say that the LS would consist out of permanent content and he said the same as Anet said after the first complains (very early in LS S1) about the temporary content of LS started to roll in.

The problem seems to be that if they throw in a new JP or a new map they consider the LS to be permanent and while throwing in such permanent content (expansion-like content I guess) is positive is does not make the LS itself permanent. Lets hope they make that change with LS S2 but it’s not what that dev said.

in Living World

Posted by: Alex.9567

Alex.9567

i think another big mistake is assuming the devs didn’t learn anything or take in any feedback from the players regarding LWS1, i remember Colin Johanson admitting the devs did find LWS1 to be problematic, so im pretty confident we’ll see some real differences the second time around.

in Living World

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

I’m going to stay until next patch… If it’s as disappointing as most of the season 1 updates then I’m done. It’s just to painful to watch this disaster.

in Living World

Devata.6589

Maybe Living Story permanent content will be Like the destruction of Lion’s arch? I mean it’s still destroyed right?

But the LS itself where the activities, achievements and rewards surrounding the destruction. Those are all gone.

in Living World

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am inclined to agree that assuming that Season 2 will be like Season 1 in terms of temporary content is likely a mistake.

in Living World

Devata.6589

Why do people seem to think nothing permanent was added in S1? Because TA Aetherpath is hard/annoying and no one runs it, so it wasn’t actually added? That wasn’t all that was added. You don’t need a whole new zone (though it seems like we’re getting at least one with S2) to add more Dynamic Events/Renown Hearts, Jumping Puzzles, etc, which ANet did in S1. I saw enough changes upon my return – like kittening Lion’s Arch being completely destroyed, the new Events/ruins of the Nightmare Tower in Kessex Hills, the Aetherblade JP – to know that, hey, something happened in the time I was gone. I didn’t need a whole new zone to understand that ANet had actually updated their game.

On the topic of temporary content though, I like that they’re bringing at least some of it back (Festival of the Four Winds, maybe Dragon Bash) so that I can get those achievements I missed. They should continue in this way, so long as it makes sense story-wise.

Even if the story part of S2 is temporary, ANet may increase the time you have to experience this content. 2 weeks is a bit short, but a month is better. The question is, will people get bored of it or will it offer enough rewards to keep them interested for all that time? Hopefully.

Who said nothing permanent was added? The nature of the LS S1 was temporary content and yes they did throw in some permanent stuff along the way. But the very nature is temporary.

You say they can increase the time for the activities in LS S2 so you expect the same in S2 as in LS1 if it comes to temporary content. Well that’s what many people here are saying. Not that nothing permanent is or will be added.

Some people say the story can’t be permanent because it would not be a real story. That however is nonsense. Anet makes the story itself and so it’s easy to make the story in a way so that all stuff is permanent. Lets take the destruction of LA. They put the activities, achievements and rewards around the destruction and the direct consequences. However they could have also make Scarlet destroy LA and make the LS (the stuff we do) around building up LA and the long-term effects of the destruction what could take multiple years. So doing it exactly the other way around as what they did now. Story wise it would make perfect sense and you get rid of the temporary nature of the LS.

Lets hope that is how they will do LS S2.

in Living World

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Afaik, precursor crafting has never been cancelled. This means the best inference we can make is that it has been back-burnered. If you’re looking for an example of devs actually changing their tune, look at max stat gear.

Excepted that was nicely played of them. Players ASKED for it. We. And I don’t mean me or you, because I didn’t and neither did you I guess, I mean the playerbase. We were the ones wanting that stuff. Let’s not complain they listen, because what good will it do ? We got a few more skins. Nobody recquires “ascended tier berserker gear” when trying to group up, nobody is getting kicked for that. AND we have more content, some better crafting to do, ‘smarter’ crafting.
Now precursor crafting that’s another story. I don’t remember them putting a date on that (maybe did I missed it while being away from the game, I only remember them saying “someday”), which would, in this case, be different from the LS since they actually announced the date from Season 2, while precursor are still being worked on. Now legendaries are supposed to be the endgame weapons. Every part of the game have to matter in making them ; WvW, Karma, map completion… and for now RNG / loads of gold also played a part. Now getting recipes is cool, and everything ; however it recquires to be very careful not to devalue legendaries even more than the wardrobe did.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

in Living World

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

It should be marvelous fun, we’ll get Sylvari pale tree lore and Sylvari heroes to save us! Mayhaps even a Sylvari villain because none of the other races matter except as cannon fodder.

in Living World

Devata.6589

The Dynamic events there are zergy so I never do them. The JP is one of my favourites so I do it weekly (mostly multiple times a week) and once in a while we also get there for the guild-missions.

But what’s the point of your question? How often do you go to any specific many. Many maps you will likely not visit very often however it’s still good that you can visit them and do the activities. You might never go to south-sun because you don’t like that JP, I however do and I do it whenever I want. You might go somewhere else to do what you want and if there would be a reward that I would like to have I always have the possibility to go do that whenever I feel like it.

With the living story you have to do it now or miss out on the activities, achievements and rewards. No matter if you like to do it (now) or not. Coming back because you liked it or because you want to do it at another time is no option.

in Living World

Devata.6589

They have a responsibility to create a game for millions of players, not just you. The devs are only human and don’t always make the best decisions, but these decisions are made for the health of the game as a whole to increase gem-sales, not to pacify whoever yells the loudest.

Not that the devs are to blame for anything. They likely would love to just make the best game they can. I think SAB is a good example of what type of content you get if you just give devs room to do what they want without having to worry about monetizing. However because this game has because a cash-shop game the reality is that the devs can’t just deliver the best content they would like.

They can’t make content and just say “I want my content to drop / reward this and that” because then the monetize people say "no we need to sell that in the shop.

After the success of the SAB 1 the monetize people also had there go with SAB for release 2. Not saying release 2 was bad, far from but you did notice the changes and they where not for the better.

in Living World

Posted by: ekimsfree.9406

ekimsfree.9406

Woe is you. There hundreds of thousands of players and people always seem to want this game catered for them.

On your time, when you can, what you want; I keep reading this over and over. And then add the fact that we don’t know S2 entails at all so assuming they aren’t new dungeons or zones or bosses or whatever else you want is just silly.

in Living World

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Whas writing a long text here but the forums crashed or something when I posted it… So I don’t wanna sit for ten more minutes to write a new reply.

So short reply is ‘I realy like the Living Story and I don’t ever want it to go away. More Permanent content was promised in the middle of LS1 and as promiced it was delivered. Just becouse you don’t find it enough does not mean it isn’t there and permanent. Now they have said that they have learned alot from doing LS1 and will make LS2 even a better experience. So saying that there will be no Permanent content in LS2 is what I think total BS but I don’t mind becouse I am one of those who realy liked LS1 and I like the temporary content as it ups the feeling of an ever evolving world and that the story goes on and isn’t just trapped in time.’

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in Living World

Devata.6589

Woe is you. There hundreds of thousands of players and people always seem to want this game catered for them.

On your time, when you can, what you want; I keep reading this over and over. And then add the fact that we don’t know S2 entails at all so assuming they aren’t new dungeons or zones or bosses or whatever else you want is just silly.

“On your time, when you can, what you want.” You just forget that ‘you’ should be replaced with any players. You, me, them everybody! Fact is that there are many people complain about this.. or like you say “I keep reading this over and over.”.

“Assuming they aren’t new dungeons or zones or bosses or whatever else you want is just silly.” Me to, I also don’t see many people assuming that.

in Living World

Devata.6589

Whas writing a long text here but the forums crashed or something when I posted it… So I don’t wanna sit for ten more minutes to write a new reply.

So short reply is ‘I realy like the Living Story and I don’t ever want it to go away. More Permanent content was promised in the middle of LS1 and as promiced it was delivered. Just becouse you don’t find it enough does not mean it isn’t there and permanent. Now they have said that they have learned alot from doing LS1 and will make LS2 even a better experience. So saying that there will be no Permanent content in LS2 is what I think total BS but I don’t mind becouse I am one of those who realy liked LS1 and I like the temporary content as it ups the feeling of an ever evolving world and that the story goes on and isn’t just trapped in time.’

Can you explain me how the LS (the activities that the players do) being of a temporary nature gives it more the feeling of an ever evolving world in stead of if the stuff the players did would be permanent?

For me adding new activities, achievements and rewards (basically the 3 elements that make up the LS at this moment) that are permanent including with other permanent staying content makes the world just as evolving. So please tell me why in you idea removing those activities after 2 weeks to a month makes it feel more of an evolving world?

I am also happy for you that you like the LS as it is the the fact is that many players dislike it the way it is.

in Living World

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Why are u starting to complain when u dont even know what season will hold yet, OP? Wait till its realeased at least Before u start…. Geez, plz givee the devs a break already.

Well, I’m looking forward to it with excitement!

Kima & Co

in Living World

Devata.6589

Why are u starting to complain when u dont even know what season will hold yet, OP? Wait till its realeased at least Before u start…. Geez, plz givee the devs a break already.

He did not made a complain about LS S2 he made a complain about LS S1 and asking if we would get the same for LS S1 stating he would not like that, telling what he would like. So he is just giving feedback.

It can be useful to read more as just the title. Obviously many people don’t have high hopes for LS S1 because Anet said to improve LS S1 somewhere during it’s first half. It however didn’t really improve.

What I expect is that LS S2 will start with one or more new maps and I am will be happy for that. While not delivered in my preferred way. However I do expect the LS itself to stay temporary of nature. However, lets hope they indeed make the needed changes and we will see the LS being permanent of nature.

(edited by Devata.6589)

in Living World

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Can you explain me how the LS (the activities that the players do) being of a temporary nature gives it more the feeling of an ever evolving world in stead of if the stuff the players did would be permanent?

For me adding new activities, achievements and rewards (basically the 3 elements that make up the LS at this moment) that are permanent including with other permanent staying content makes the world just as evolving. So please tell me why in you idea removing those activities after 2 weeks to a month makes it feel more of an evolving world?

I am also happy for you that you like the LS as it is the the fact is that many players dislike it the way it is.

Activities? Well I can only think of a few activites that isn’t permanent and that is Halloween, Wintersday, Dragonfestival and zephyrites Activity…

But I guess you are speaking about the events during the Living Stories? Well for example: After the Tower of madness fell, how would we be able to go in there and do the events in there when the tower actually has fallen. How would Lions Arch be attacked if it would never bee attacked? How would we be able to rebuild Lions Arch if we could return and defend it from scarlets invasion? and so on.
I have played so many MMO’s where I defend a city but fails and in the story it gets ruined and captured and after the story I can return there as if nothing ever happened. In some games like LotrO and ESO they put people in different layers and I go there with a friend and when I se a ruined city they see a nice looking city filled with people.

And to let most players be able to enjoy the content it still anyway has to be repeated for a few weeks but most times the story has still been made to actually build up each day until the end of that LS part. Like with the Tower of Madness.

I know that many players like the LS and I am one of those who defends it becouse I don’t want it to be scrapped so I want to give my opinion at it.

Edit:

He did not made a complain about LS S2 he made a complain about LS S1 and asking if we would get the same for LS S1 stating he would not like that, telling what he would like. So he is just giving feedback.

It can be useful to read more as just the title. Obviously many people don’t have high hopes for LS S1 because Anet said to improve LS S1 somewhere during it’s first half. It however didn’t really improve.

What I expect is that LS S2 will start with one or more new maps and I am will be happy for that. While not delivered in my preferred way. However I do expect the LS itself to stay temporary of nature. However, lets hope they indeed make the needed changes and we will see the LS being permanent of nature.

Living Story Season 2 is a Big Mistake, sounds like a complaint to me… Also that most of the critics to the LS2 is based on how LS1 has been.
I think that the LS improved alot and as I said before there where alot of permanent content introduced after they promiced to have more permanent content.

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

in Living World

Devata.6589

~
And to let most players be able to enjoy the content it still anyway has to be repeated for a few weeks but most times the story has still been made to actually build up each day until the end of that LS part. Like with the Tower of Madness.

I know that many players like the LS and I am one of those who defends it becouse I don’t want it to be scrapped so I want to give my opinion at it.

Edit:

Living Story Season 2 is a Big Mistake, sounds like a complaint to me… Also that most of the critics to the LS2 is based on how LS1 has been.
I think that the LS improved alot and as I said before there where alot of permanent content introduced after they promiced to have more permanent content.

For LA I already gave an example. They could have destroyed LA without many activities linked to it. But then link the activities to building up LS what could take multiple years. At this moment they are building up LA (see last patch) without our input. They could have done it the other way around.

Similar for Tower of madness. I mean it’s fine if we can fight them when it’s going on just don’t link real achievements and rewards to it so people don’t feel pressured to do it then. Now that the tower is gone the players can get involved in the after effects. Maybe the poison created mutated animals so we need to clean the world and fight the mutated animals while the fallen tower might have been turned into an new JP that we can do and has it’s own achievement and reward linked to it. Now that’s how I would like to see the LS and then we have an ever changing world but the temporary nature and it negative side-effects are gone.

Don’t forget Anet makes the story. The way the tower of madness story was written it would make sense we where part of the destruction and there are only limited after effects but because they create the story they could have easily done it in a way that it would make more sense that we are more involved in the after effects or at least link most events and all achievements and rewards to that part.

“I have played so many MMO’s where I defend a city but fails and in the story it gets ruined and captured and after the story I can return there as if nothing ever happened.”
That is the same in GW2. If nobody or not enough people cleaned the poison on that tower it would still be cleaned. It is not like your input makes a real difference. But I do understand what you mean. You are mainly talking about cosmetic changes in the world and I am not against that. It’s the temporary nature of the LS I have a problem with and then I am talking about the activities for the players, not the cosmetic changes to the world.

You should understand that most people that complain about temporary content are not complaining about the fact the LA got destroyed or anything like that. The problem is that the story and the activities are created in a way that those activities are temporary.

“I think that the LS improved alot and as I said before there where alot of permanent content introduced after they promised to have more permanent content. ”
The problem is that your definition of permanent is not the same as many of the complainers. Like I said. It’s fine that they destroyed LA and it’s fine that they build that tower but link the activities to the after effects of the poisoning or to the rebuilding of LA. Building up LA might eventually also be done (but can take many years) but turning the tower into a JP or maybe even a dungeon would mean permanent constant and activities that make up the LS. We would still have the LS and changing world you like so much. Just without the pressure of doing things now and not next month.

in Living World

EdgarMTanaka.7291

For LA I already gave an example. They could have destroyed LA without many activities linked to it. But then link the activities to building up LS what could take multiple years. At this moment they are building up LA (see last patch) without our input. They could have done it the other way around.

Similar for Tower of madness. I mean it’s fine if we can fight them when it’s going on just don’t link real achievements and rewards to it so people don’t feel pressured to do it then. Now that the tower is gone the players can get involved in the after effects. Maybe the poison created mutated animals so we need to clean the world and fight the mutated animals while the fallen tower might have been turned into an new JP that we can do and has it’s own achievement and reward linked to it. Now that’s how I would like to see the LS and then we have an ever changing world but the temporary nature and it negative side-effects are gone.

Don’t forget Anet makes the story. The way the tower of madness story was written it would make sense we where part of the destruction and there are only limited after effects but because they create the story they could have easily done it in a way that it would make more sense that we are more involved in the after effects or at least link most events and all achievements and rewards to that part.

“I have played so many MMO’s where I defend a city but fails and in the story it gets ruined and captured and after the story I can return there as if nothing ever happened.”
That is the same in GW2. If nobody or not enough people cleaned the poison on that tower it would still be cleaned. It is not like your input makes a real difference. But I do understand what you mean. You are mainly talking about cosmetic changes in the world and I am not against that. It’s the temporary nature of the LS I have a problem with and then I am talking about the activities for the players, not the cosmetic changes to the world.

You should understand that most people that complain about temporary content are not complaining about the fact the LA got destroyed or anything like that. The problem is that the story and the activities are created in a way that those activities are temporary.

“I think that the LS improved alot and as I said before there where alot of permanent content introduced after they promised to have more permanent content. ”
The problem is that your definition of permanent is not the same as many of the complainers. Like I said. It’s fine that they destroyed LA and it’s fine that they build that tower but link the activities to the after effects of the poisoning or to the rebuilding of LA. Building up LA might eventually also be done (but can take many years) but turning the tower into a JP or maybe even a dungeon would mean permanent constant and activities that make up the LS. We would still have the LS and changing world you like so much. Just without the pressure of doing things now and not next month.

Obviusly we are so far apart on different opinions so this is no use.
I don’t understand what you want and you apperently don’t understand me. Sorry.

I stand by my word, I like the LS as it is… It can be improved but I wouldn’t wan’t LS to be less “living” than it is now.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

I was expecting more Personal Stories, Story Dungeons, Exploreable Dungeon, Jumping Puzzles, Dynamic events, and permanent content to explore new zones in that Nature, but instead, we get Living Story Season 2!? More Temporarily content?

You cant tell a good story through Temporarily contents because New players and returning players will have no idea what’s happening. They dont get the chance to see the character development in the story and worst of all, they dont get to experience the story at their own time.

People have work, people have lives and it’s cool to have permanent changes but it’s not cool to take away content and story within the game.

By making story contents permanent, you give people the chance to progress and explore the lore within playing the game. You let them play at their own time. This is why Personal Story idea works but Living story fails. Sure, the execution of the Personal Story wasn’t that great but it doesnt mean you cant improve with the tools you got, or make better tools for it.

If I cant play the content when I want and I’m forced to play it in a certain time frame to experience it and the story then I’m not having fun. And If I’m not having fun then I’m not going to do it. Thus, I’ll be missing out on a lot of Season 2 content just like I have with Season 1. Thanks again ArenaNet…

How do you know that’s not what we’re going to get. Have you played season 2 already? You sound certain to know whats in it.

in Living World

Devata.6589

Obviusly we are so far apart on different opinions so this is no use.
I don’t understand what you want and you apperently don’t understand me. Sorry.

I stand by my word, I like the LS as it is… It can be improved but I wouldn’t wan’t LS to be less “living” than it is now.

I am not so sure we are so far apart. We are far apart if it comes to if it’s fine as it is or not but all your examples are fine for me (and many of those that dislike the LS as it is).

In your example you talk about a destroyed LA, I’m fine with a destroyed LA. You talked about the tower of madness, I am fine with the tower of madness. All I say is link the activities to the stuff that stays behind, or make the stuff that stays behind an activity like turning the tower into a JP or dungeon and link the activities, achievements and rewards to that in stead of to the temporary destruction itself.

All your examples would stay and it would not make the world less ’ living’ because of that.

in Living World

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

I just hope that anet get tid of the “chasing the carrot against the timer” philosophy.

It’s frustrating not be able to take a break from the game without risking to lose forever content and story.
That make me leave once already.

in Living World

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Some people say the story can’t be permanent because it would not be a real story. That however is nonsense. Anet makes the story itself and so it’s easy to make the story in a way so that all stuff is permanent. Lets take the destruction of LA. They put the activities, achievements and rewards around the destruction and the direct consequences. However they could have also make Scarlet destroy LA and make the LS (the stuff we do) around building up LA and the long-term effects of the destruction what could take multiple years. So doing it exactly the other way around as what they did now. Story wise it would make perfect sense and you get rid of the temporary nature of the LS.

A Living Story located in the presence can’t be permanent. It has a start and an end. Compare it with an live event or show. To make it permanent you have to remove the story from the presence/current time frame and transfer it into the past. Flashbacks are still temporary but permanently available like the PS or the videotaping of a live show or event. What was missing in season 1 was the videotaping of key elements/scenes that could be replayed whenever you want. My assumption is that they introduce a PS/Flashback version of the LS after season 2 or certain arcs are closed.

Even your suggestion to build the LS around the restoration of LA would be temporary. It would have a start and an end. Arenanet could assign the vast majority of the achievement to permanent content like new zones or dungeons. I think they did it partially with Tequatl and the new Aetherpath.

But there would still be a different between attending season 2 in real-time and replaying it via PS. Some rewards/activities will be live rewards/activities like competitions for certain prizes or votings are only active/senseful in the live show and not in the videotaped version.

Best example is the election during Cutthroat Politcis. This election would not make any sense in a videotaped version of the chapter. There are more examples. There will be always moments where the live event gives you more immersion than the recorded version.

(edited by Belenwyn.8674)

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Kinda bullkitten thread when OP hasn’t paid attention to devs saying LS2 will be permanent content whereas festivals in between will be temporary.

You’re flaming all of season 2 on the basis it will be temporary – which is false. Which renders your entire post useless.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The players didn’t ask for gear stat progression (well, some did, but it was a tiny, tiny minority even on forums). They asked for more endgame content, new zones, new skins (as well as raids, mounts and holy trinity). Anet decided to go that way on their own, barely two months in the game (less, if we consider that they had to start developing it some time before the November 11th patch).

Wrong.

You do not have access to Anet’s data, internal communications, or any such thing. Why would they make such an incredibly unpopular move on the basis of a few forum posts, then continue months later with ascended weapons and again with ascended armor?

If that were true, if Anet made changes to the game based on forum posts, the game would be completely different now. There would be no Living Story (most forum posts are against it) and an expansion would have already been announced, if not released. Every player would have a precursor if not a free Legendary given to them, and exotic gear would be as common as dirt. There would be tons of new weapon and armor skins, many new weapon types and skills and items like the infinite use tools would never rotate out of the gem shop.

They make decisions based on many things, and the reactions of the forum posters are barely considered at all. We are a tiny percentage of the player base, and the hardest to please. Given the ease with which posters can troll the forums, I would imagine most devs don’t consider the forums at all when creating new content or discussing future plans. About the only useful information that comes from here are bug reports.

I know no one will change their minds about this, but at least I know that all your complaining and demanding and pleading has no effect on the game.

in Living World

Posted by: davadude.6017

davadude.6017

Fun fact: it’s been delayed, but not cancelled.

davadude – Ego Sum Promptus

in Living World

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

Wrong.

You do not have access to Anet’s data, internal communications, or any such thing. Why would they make such an incredibly unpopular move on the basis of a few forum posts, then continue months later with ascended weapons and again with ascended armor?

If that were true, if Anet made changes to the game based on forum posts, the game would be completely different now. There would be no Living Story (most forum posts are against it) and an expansion would have already been announced, if not released. Every player would have a precursor if not a free Legendary given to them, and exotic gear would be as common as dirt. There would be tons of new weapon and armor skins, many new weapon types and skills and items like the infinite use tools would never rotate out of the gem shop.

They make decisions based on many things, and the reactions of the forum posters are barely considered at all. We are a tiny percentage of the player base, and the hardest to please. Given the ease with which posters can troll the forums, I would imagine most devs don’t consider the forums at all when creating new content or discussing future plans. About the only useful information that comes from here are bug reports.

I know no one will change their minds about this, but at least I know that all your complaining and demanding and pleading has no effect on the game.

I guess that then not buying gems and not playing are the other options to show that you’re displeased about how anet handle content.
But… how they know wich of the issues makes you not buying gems or what makes you stop playing?

in Living World

Devata.6589

A Living Story located in the presence can’t be permanent. It has a start and an end. Compare it with an live event or show. To make it permanent you have to remove the story from the presence/current time frame and transfer it into the past. Flashbacks are still temporary but permanently available like the PS or the videotaping of a live show or event. What was missing in season 1 was the videotaping of key elements/scenes that could be replayed whenever you want. My assumption is that they introduce a PS/Flashback version of the LS after season 2 or certain arcs are closed.

Even your suggestion to build the LS around the restoration of LA would be temporary. It would have a start and an end. Arenanet could assign the vast majority of the achievement to permanent content like new zones or dungeons. I think they did it partially with Tequatl and the new Aetherpath.

But there would still be a different between attending season 2 in real-time and replaying it via PS. Some rewards/activities will be live rewards/activities like competitions for certain prizes or votings are only active/senseful in the live show and not in the videotaped version.

Best example is the election during Cutthroat Politcis. This election would not make any sense in a videotaped version of the chapter. There are more examples. There will be always moments where the live event gives you more immersion than the recorded version.

Replaying flash-backs is indeed also an option and at some point LA would have been rebuild but if you would take real-life time for that it can take years and after that you might want to extent LA and you can link many of those activities and achievements and rewards to that.

Obviously a part of it will have an end it’s just how you link the activities to it and to what part. With the tower of madness they they linked all activities to the destruction of the tower what took 1 month to 2 weeks (last patch was 2 weeks first was available for a month or so) but with my examples they could also just let that have happen a little different and without much of our input (just as we had no input in getting the people back to LA) and then put a JP or dungeon in the ruins of that tower and let us fight mutated animals.. well all the examples I gave before. Then you would still have that ongoing story and you would still have an event that ends, it’s just that all the content players can do is permanent (or at least for multiple years).

in Living World

Devata.6589

Wrong.

Well if I read your post and would believe you then it would be a big mistake. Because with the exception of giving everybody a free legendary and making exotics accessible as dirt (both things I did not see mention in the forums while I did see all your other examples) the game would have been better for it with all those things.

in Living World

Devata.6589

Wrong.

I guess that then not buying gems and not playing are the other options to show that you’re displeased about how anet handle content.
But… how they know wich of the issues makes you not buying gems or what makes you stop playing?

Just post your problems and never buy gems, only by expansions. If only everybody would do that.

in Living World

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I believe it was stated by ArenaNet that they learned from Living Story Season 1, both from things that worked and things that didn’t work. Based on this, Season 2 should incorporate the results of this learning process.

For this reason I expect Season 2 might include more of the following:
(Note: everything below is my personal speculation!)

- More permanent content, as Living Story events leave their mark on the world.
(There will still be temporary content, such as story instances, but it will no longer be the majority.)

- Less frequent, but larger story updates. Probably monthly.
(This allows players more time to finish the temporary content and achievements (if any) without feeling rushed. Also, the content should be of better quality, instead of yet another scavenger hunt across the world map, while killing X number of Y new foes for an achievement.)

- Story updates and feature updates distinctly separated and communicated in advance.
(This would be to avoid confusion. Any changes/additions to “quality of life” – including new crafting tiers in cooking/jewelcrafting, wardrobe enhancements, guild content, new skills/traits – will not be released on the same date as a story update. Players will no longer look forward to a patch expecting a new dungeon, and receiving only minor game enhancements.)

- Better options to keep track of the story in the game.
(This could include a way to revisit cutscenes from past Living Story updates, a character log of events that were participated in, or simply an NPC who can give players an updated summary of the past Living Story events. )

- New explorable zones in Maguuma Jungle, complete with their own sets of dynamic events, vistas, completion achievements and jumping puzzles. Perhaps even with a completely new dungeon at the end.

in Living World

Posted by: Levelord.5746

Levelord.5746

All of these problems with temporary content can be easily fixed by looking at how GW1 did it. They had historians that would re-tell the story to the player, effectively putting you in an instance where you get to re-experience the past content without it affecting the current living story event. This solution is so simple and obvious it boggles my mind why Anet lacks the basic common sense to put it in.

in Living World

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

All of these problems with temporary content can be easily fixed by looking at how GW1 did it. They had historians that would re-tell the story to the player, effectively putting you in an instance where you get to re-experience the past content without it affecting the current living story event. This solution is so simple and obvious it boggles my mind why Anet lacks the basic common sense to put it in.

First, lack of resources. All their developers and programmers were fully devoted to cranking out the two-weekly updates during Season 1. Based on the skimpiness of some of the content (Canach’s Lair during “Last Stand at Southsun” comes to mind, but also the pointless Dragon Effigies during “Dragon Bash”), I believe they were stretched thin.

Next, priorities. After Season 1 ended, they chose to first give the quality-of-life update that was the April feature patch. I think it is defensible to give the game a new polish, since this part of the game had been neglected since Living Story started. And after April, the China launch of the game took full priority.

Currently, Living Story Season Two appears to be the top item on the agenda, and it is quite possible that the thing you suggest will be in it. (It is significantly less work to include a feature like tracking progress from the start of a project, rather than adding it midway.)

in Living World

Posted by: Bloodyhell.8760

Bloodyhell.8760

Sorry guys, but I really think LS must have the most temporary stuff it can. Otherwise, it is not leaving, don’t you think so?
the fact that we all enjoy living the time it comes out make everyone feel part of a greater party made from every single player on the event. Why change it in a personal story? This is not an off line game; personal story is boring. Do it with a full party will still make it a lot less epic that just take the LS when it’s up with the rest of tyria population.

More than this I enjoy the fact that, because I was here playing from a lot, I have rewards other can never have. What is the point of let everyone have everything?
At least LS rewards can’t be bought or achieved in other way than being in the LS.

I understand some people loose the LS in the way it is now. We can make each ls longer in time to let more people enjoy it. As ANET has been during in last months btw.

You say people have lives, but ls is not of an hour or of a day. It stays for 2 weeks at least, recently a lot more. If you can’t take it in that time you loose it.

I don’t find it more bad that wake up at 3o’ clock to gather in other games.

LS is a GW2 distinctive element. and it has to stay. Changing are welcome, but if it is leaving, it is not resting.