No Living Story = enjoying the game again

in Living World

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

It could be just me but I am again enjoying the game as when I started GW2, rather than logging in everyday to get the Living story achievement and complete the grind; then log off and go vomit….Somehow the game is enjoyable again…

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in Living World

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Honestly, I think Anet just giving AP farmers some breathing room to farm WvW right now.

in Living World

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

With the living story gone I’ve realized there’s nothing to do in guild wars. I log in, giggle at the Queensdale champ train drama and then log off and find something else to do.

What did you find you enjoy doing now, OP? I’m kinda lost myself now :/

in Living World

Posted by: Kurodius.7463

Kurodius.7463

It could be just me but I am again enjoying the game as when I started GW2, rather than logging in everyday to get the Living story achievement and complete the grind; then log off and go vomit….Somehow the game is enjoyable again…

You were never forced to participate in the Living Story, you could have easily made the choice to ignore a patch, as I have a number of times. If anything you are just excited over the Feature Pack because they are making a lot of really good mechanic adjustments, which is something the Living Story was not very heavy with.

in Living World

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

It’s nice to see my guildies focused on WvW and more high end PvE again. New players are asking about builds now they’re focusing on more skillful play and that can only be a good thing. Makes me believe even more Anet should focus more on more difficult permanent content.

On a side note, since the LS ended we’ve had at least 15 people getting a new legendary, so I guess they are in fact getting a little bored. xD

in Living World

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

They should continue to polish the game and balance the professions out in both PVP (AND PVE for gods sake). Fix the stats before going into season 2 of the living story.

in Living World

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I’m inclined to agree here. I had to get used to the relaxing pace again, but I prefer not having time limits on the stuff I want to do. As for the Living Story, I’d like it a lot if it focused on the story and not so much the achievements.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Living World

Panda Shepard.1248

I just really wish something had been added to the core game. I feel like nothing’s changed in the story. Now that it’s gone, it’s gone, you know?
Maybe after this upcoming patch it’ll be interesting again.

in Living World

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

You were never forced to participate in the Living Story, you could have easily made the choice to ignore a patch, as I have a number of times. If anything you are just excited over the Feature Pack because they are making a lot of really good mechanic adjustments, which is something the Living Story was not very heavy with.

I ignored some of these LS events and I have a feeling of being behind. Since yesterday I have an urge to do some SAB and get skins since there will be a wardrobe but NOPE – I wasn’t a no-life so no skins or titles for me because I wasn’t playing this game when Anet wanted so kitten me right? This temporary bullkitten is uneccessary and illogical, but they gonna wake up as always but little too late.

(edited by Psychol.5783)

in Living World

Posted by: Kurodius.7463

Kurodius.7463

I ignored some of these LS events and I have a feeling of being behind. Since yesterday I have an urge to do some SAB and get skins since there will be a wardrobe but NOPE – I wasn’t a no-life so no skins or titles for me because I wasn’t playing this game when Anet wanted so kitten me right? This temporary bullkitten is uneccessary and illogical, but they gonna wake up as always but little too late.

Yeah, but if it was open to you all the time then you wouldn’t really care. Now you look at people with SAB items with burning jealousy and those people get to flaunt something that is something actually worth flaunting. You had your chance and you let it slip, I lost my chance to get the gas mask but I can move on. By the way, you had nearly a months worth of time since there were 2 SAB patches in total. The temporary nature of the living story is something that should stay, or the world will be wholly static, which the the antithesis of their goal.

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

with no LS the game is more alive, there is no mass LS farm and no LS zerg, just allot of players spread out to play the main game.
that’s what it’s all about, all the LS does is focus all the exiting parts in one small area, remove the LS and the world is more alive again.

in Living World

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

The problem with the LS updates was that you felt super rushed to see everything and get everything done, because you knew that after 2 weeks or so, it would all be gone forever. To me and many others, that’s just stressful. I don’t want to feel stressed and rushed when playing a game.

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

With the living story gone I’ve realized there’s nothing to do in guild wars. I log in, giggle at the Queensdale champ train drama and then log off and find something else to do.

Well I’m not OP, but I’ve found leveling alts isn’t too bad, working towards my ascended gear (kitten you time-gating!), probably going to go for a few more world completions. Must say though, being rather casual, even I’m kinda starting to see that once I have a 80 of every profession and a couple more world completion, and finally geared up my main, there not too much else. Luckily being casual that’s still way off. Mind you I can only imagine the self proclaimed hardcore crowd, they probably did everything in the first few days. No wonder they keep complaining.

Yeah you’re not actually forced to do it, but if you want this pretty dress, and this cute hat you’re out of luck if you don’t.

with no LS the game is more alive, there is no mass LS farm and no LS zerg, just allot of players spread out to play the main game.
that’s what it’s all about, all the LS does is focus all the exiting parts in one small area, remove the LS and the world is more alive again.

So basically we just need a better application of LS then? Sounds good enough. Although not sure how much ANet is willing to experiment… well you’d imagine that now that they’ve moved on to a ED that experimentation time is over. However there’s no reason they can’t have interludes here and there where they try out new things.

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

Honestly, I think Anet just giving AP farmers some breathing room to farm WvW right now.

1 more stonemist castle capture
9 more yak kills
7 more reactor captures

Nearly done.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

You know, in most mmos people have to wait a 6 to 12 months between expansions.

In guild wars 2 people are bored when there hasn’t been new content for a few weeks…

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Living World

Panda Shepard.1248

Must say though, being rather casual, even I’m kinda starting to see that once I have a 80 of every profession and a couple more world completion, and finally geared up my main, there not too much else.

There really isn’t. I’ve got seven lvl 80s, and I’ve done world completion. There just isn’t really that much left to do in this game sadly. I’m thinking of trying dungeons since I’ve never done that as the community there doesn’t seem too friendly.

If the living story was replayable, I’d go through it with a bunch of my characters. As it is, there’s just no new stuff to even replay. At least with an expansion I could play the heck out of it til the next one came out even if it took a year.

in Living World

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Must say though, being rather casual, even I’m kinda starting to see that once I have a 80 of every profession and a couple more world completion, and finally geared up my main, there not too much else.

There really isn’t. I’ve got seven lvl 80s, and I’ve done world completion. There just isn’t really that much left to do in this game sadly. I’m thinking of trying dungeons since I’ve never done that as the community there doesn’t seem too friendly.

So you never run a dungeon in GW2 and you complaining that there is nothing to do in game when you get lvl 80?

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in Living World

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

PERSONALLY, I don’t really enjoy GW2 nearly as much when there isn’t LS to do, however there are a plethora of things I like doing in GW2 in the meantime. But, you don’t have to rush yourself and grind all the achievements/rewards out in one day as if you’ve been putting off studying for finals in school until the night before…

I didn’t get to experience the Battle for Lions Arch myself, although it did look really cool and I know that for the Spinal Blade back pieces, you needed a lot of blade shards for it. But i’m okay with missing LS every so often when I know I can’t do anything about it.
Whenever the new LS/meta achievements come out, I just take it piece by piece and not rush myself, or else the game gets really boring and dull that way (imo.) 2 weeks is more than plenty of time to get at least part of the achievements finished. However, with some LS, like the Marionette fight, it was a bit harder to get teh achievements just for dodging its attacks and some people never got it. Neither did I.

You’re not going to get to complete all of the meta, or maybe you will, but if you push it and make it real grindy, you’re not going to enjoy the game that much.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

1 more stonemist castle capture
9 more yak kills
7 more reactor captures

Nearly done.

Meta is done for me. But still need 8 more Reactors, 10 more Towers and 16 more WXP ranks to squeeze every last bit of AP from the Tournament.

in Living World

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

You know, in most mmos people have to wait a 6 to 12 months between expansions.

In guild wars 2 people are bored when there hasn’t been new content for a few weeks…

So true, oh man this statement hits it directly home!

While it’s really awesome Arenanet has proven they can deliver on the 2-week system, I felt the quality slide a little bit, until we got to the Nightmare Tower and the LA releases. I hope this extended period of time just makes the first Season Two releases as impactful as the Season One finale was.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

in Living World

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I actually am enjoying the break from LS too.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like the frequent content updates that came with the LS (although some parts of them seemed a bit rushed/poorly tested).

But it kind of ended up getting to the point where I just spent all my time doing LS stuff and ignoring many other facets of the game. Time I spent not doing LS stuff was time during which I was missing out on nice rewards or playing with groups of people.

I just had no time to do the personal story for my alts, work on map completion for my alts, reduced sPvP participation to finishing the dailies, stopped doing frequent dungeons, champ farming, or world bosses (unless they were the focus of that LS), and even reduced the amount of WvW stuff I was doing.

That’s why I liked some of the LS stuff that was very “light”, where I could just get it done, or it was something that didn’t require a lot of coordination, or wasn’t something that present a new optimal farming opportunity. I actually liked the monthly releases better than the two week releases because I could spend about the first two weeks finishing up the LS stuff, and then just go back to enjoying what I was doing before, then go on to the next LS stuff. With the two week releases, it was finishing up one LS to do the next LS, then the next LS… made it a bit exhausting sometimes to keep pace with it.

Although later on they kind of had this two-stage thing where the first LS in the month was a month long thing and the second one was a smaller (or at least equal sized) two-week thing, which I felt was much nicer for me.

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

You were never forced to participate in the Living Story, you could have easily made the choice to ignore a patch, as I have a number of times.

When every resource the developers have go into the Living Story, the choices for someone who doesn’t enjoy it are A. ignore it and keep doing the same old same old until boredom and stagnation drive you away from the game or B. preempt the boredom and quite now.

in Living World

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

With no LS activities going on right now, I see folks mostly in the psuedo LA/Vigil Keep more than actually out in the map.

Yes some events did create zerg rushes during initial releases, but folks were out there at least doing something. Now its just the Keep getting full of people standing around fountain or spamming emotes.

I will say Divinity’s Reach and the other racial cities are are more useful to me now.

Though I still agree that the two week release schedule is utter Dolyak spit and they should extend some releases out longer. I wish they weren’t so hard headed/determined/whatever about it.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

(edited by Atlas.9704)

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Nothing has really changed for me…

I’m still clearing maps, leveling characters, doing dungeons with my guildies. I didn’t really let LS dictate my play when it was around. I used it the same way I use anything else, as a change of pace when I got bored doing whatever else I was doing…

There were only a couple of them that I actually ‘farmed’ for anything extensively, which in and of itself was ‘different’ from my typical routine.

shrug

I guess I’m just weird.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Though I still agree that the two week release schedule is utter Dolyak spit and they should extend some releases out longer. I wish they weren’t so hard headed/determined/whatever about it.

It was depressing to see Kristen Bornemann’s (Guild Wars 2 Development Director) write such an optimistic presentation on the two week release schedule for GW2 at the GDC. It seems like the higher ups are so focused and obsessed on what an achievement it is to release content every two weeks (which it is, I don’t want to distract from my point by giving the idea that the release schedule doesn’t require good work – it does) that they are losing sight of the context in which the content is experienced. People moaned about permanent content all year long, Colin told us we were heard and still the bulk of content released since then has been temporary. Players complain about achievement point grinds but they keep on coming. Players complain that content required them to play on ArenaNet’s timetable and not their own but you wouldn’t even know they read that from the way they continue to praise their release schedule without even recognising that the final product is different from a traditionally developed and released piece of content (I do believe the quality of content has suffered in their two week pipe line).

Very few content updates in that two week schedule had the quality of a more traditional MMO content release (whether it be an expansion or a content update which most MMOs experience). The two week format still has a quality vs quantity issue imo and that’s before you get to the temporary content issues.

I like the idea of ongoing updates to the game, but I don’t believe the Living World release schedule, poor story and gameplay are up to par. I certainly don’t miss the Living Story, designing a game with “keeping players around” as the sole focus is a recipe for bad decisions. That the kind of thinking that creates gear treadmills and fun killing grinds. I understand the desire to keep players playing for as long as possible. I understand they want to keep players around every two weeks but more is at stake than that. I’ll end with a quote from Colin himself.

But what if your business model isn’t one based on a subscription, and your content-design motivations aren’t driven by creating mechanics to keep people playing as long as possible? When looking at content design for Guild Wars 2, we’ve tried to ask the question: What if the development of the game was based on…wait for it…fun? – Colin Johanson

(edited by Shiren.9532)

in Living World

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

So you enjoy having no content? Theres really not much to do in this game to be honest in terms of endgame. Endgame in gw2 currently lies in wvw/spvp. Because there will always be endgame in any form of pvp because its players verse players, and players will get better meaning there will always be someone better than you so there is always a challenge. Im looking forward to LS season 2 very much and im very interested in seeing how Anet has adapted LS season 2 to the criticisms we gave the first season.

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

So you enjoy having no content? Theres really not much to do in this game to be honest in terms of endgame. Endgame in gw2 currently lies in wvw/spvp. Because there will always be endgame in any form of pvp because its players verse players, and players will get better meaning there will always be someone better than you so there is always a challenge. Im looking forward to LS season 2 very much and im very interested in seeing how Anet has adapted LS season 2 to the criticisms we gave the first season.

This is bogus. There are dungeons, world Bosses & Fractals. Going for Legendaries, MF skins, Dungeon skins & Ascended gear.

I am extremely happy to not have the game revolve around garbage characters & implausible story. The thing I worry about is that it will continue with having the world revolve around the next time we can add a lesbian kiss & making sure Sylvari are the most important race. LS is a pet project story, it’s awful.

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I am extremely happy to not have the game revolve around garbage characters & implausible story. The thing I worry about is that it will continue with having the world revolve around the next time we can add a lesbian kiss & making sure Sylvari are the most important race. LS is a pet project story, it’s awful.

The same could be said of just about every game ever, from a certain point of view. I haven’t found a game where one or the other doesn’t sink it once you stop and think about things. Or where someone can yank up one thing and make a case for it being sensationalized for the sake of the audience.

By the way, sylvari aren’t the most important race to Tyria right now. Asura are.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

DarksunG.9537

The same could be said of just about every game ever, from a certain point of view. I haven’t found a game where one or the other doesn’t sink it once you stop and think about things. Or where someone can yank up one thing and make a case for it being sensationalized for the sake of the audience.

By the way, sylvari aren’t the most important race to Tyria right now. Asura are.

Nah. Asura do have WAY too much insight into magic & the world, but they aren’t (potentially) connected to the dragons and/or the planet’s special defense mechanism. They are intelligent, but aren’t ALSO master crafters, the moral blueprint of the game, the the main overpowered villain of the LS, the leader of the worlds army, the writer’s favorite race, have a future-telling demigod that knows the nature of the eternal alchemy..
Yeah, I agree that the Asura are an excuse to make magical devices that can do anything for plot, but they are more of a mechanical device than like the Sylvari. The LA conversation:
“I want high quality, low prices, and a minimum of egotistical blather.”
“In that case, you definitely want sylvari.”
That’s Sylvari, they are just awesome at everything.

GW1 doesn’t have out of place, pet characters like GW2. It’s more concerned with the world & story then what the writer likes in their personal life. The problem is not single aspects (even though saying the clunky, over-emphasized “love” story is a tiny little nit-pick is laughable. The Koss/Melonni story is about 1/20th the size & focus, didn’t shoehorn in the “kiss moment” & is far more believable), it’s about an entire story that is build around the personal desires of the writer. The way the characters are written, the characters they chose to create, the way they interact, which characters they push into the background, which they bring forward, which ones they make look like idiots, which ones they make “soe awsum!”. It’s a blueprint of very specific personal tastes that doesn’t actually care as much about the GW universe as they do their personal RP fetishes. Saying that criticism of the LS is nit-picking that applies to every game is ludicrous.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Nah. Asura do have WAY too much insight into magic & the world, but they aren’t (potentially) connected to the dragons and/or the planet’s special defense mechanism. They are intelligent, but aren’t ALSO master crafters, the moral blueprint of the game, the the main overpowered villain of the LS, the leader of the worlds army, the writer’s favorite race, have a future-telling demigod that knows the nature of the eternal alchemy..

You can’t say, legitimately, they’re the writer’s favorite race without citation. Also, Ventari was sort of a strong-moral character who showed up in Prophecies and his followers existed then too.

Yeah, I agree that the Asura are an excuse to make magical devices that can do anything for plot, but they are more of a mechanical device than like the Sylvari. The LA conversation:
“I want high quality, low prices, and a minimum of egotistical blather.”
“In that case, you definitely want sylvari.”
That’s Sylvari, they are just awesome at everything.

No. You’re missing the second inferred detail: You can hoodwink a sylvari on prices because they mostly don’t know better. They are, for the most part, incredibly naive and almost childlike . . . want proof? Start and end with Sieran.

GW1 doesn’t have out of place, pet characters like GW2.

You almost had me taking this seriously until you said this.

Gwen. Lieutenant Thackeray. Mad King Thorn. Master Togo. Mhenlo, Cynn, Devona, and Aidan. Kilroy Stonekin.

I could keep going.

It’s more concerned with the world & story then what the writer likes in their personal life. The problem is not single aspects (even though saying the clunky, over-emphasized “love” story is a tiny little nit-pick is laughable. The Koss/Melonni story is about 1/20th the size & focus, didn’t shoehorn in the “kiss moment” & is far more believable), it’s about an entire story that is build around the personal desires of the writer.

Eh, no. Prophecies was an Excuse Plot to get the characters from one side of the world to the other and give them a moderate amount of practice with their professions in a group setting so they could then jump into PvP. This isn’t something you can deny, it was known way back when.

The way the characters are written, the characters they chose to create, the way they interact, which characters they push into the background, which they bring forward, which ones they make look like idiots, which ones they make “soe awsum!”. It’s a blueprint of very specific personal tastes that doesn’t actually care as much about the GW universe as they do their personal RP fetishes. Saying that criticism of the LS is nit-picking that applies to every game is ludicrous.

Who said anything about the LS? I said, continue to say, and will always say the story of both games isn’t very strong. Romanticizing and fawning nostalgic over the first game doesn’t hold water because it made many more egregious errors in the writing over time. Every one of the campaigns had at least one, if not more. (In the case of Prophecies, it’s held together solely by the excuse of never letting the player characters discover anything until it’s too late.)

As for the last bit about “personal RP fetishes” . . . GW1 was developed from the ground up as PvP first in focus, PvE secondary. So if you want to play that card, be fair about it and knock points off GW1 for being a terrible example of PvE focus.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

DarksunG.9537

You can’t say, legitimately, they’re the writer’s favorite race without citation. Also, Ventari was sort of a strong-moral character who showed up in Prophecies and his followers existed then too.

It’s been cited several times I’m not gonna go look it up. You can’t compare 1 character to an entire race who are perfectly moral or corrupted evil. that’s laughable. I love Strong Moral characters, but the Sylvari are just a awesome to be awesome & great & paragons. It’s like a big sign the devs put up that says “please like this new race”. While the good guy races are essentially “good” they more gray.

They are, for the most part, incredibly naive and almost childlike . . . want proof? Start and end with Sieran.

They aren’t “incredibly naive” they are mildly naive at the start. Start with Sieran & end with Trehern,Canach,Scarlet.. And if Sieran was so naive she wouldn’t be saying things like “this tree is going to rip your arms off!” Having the Sylvari be able to do everything the other races can isn’t balanced out with mild naivete.

Gwen. Lieutenant Thackeray. Mad King Thorn. Master Togo. Mhenlo, Cynn, Devona, and Aidan. Kilroy Stonekin.

None of those are pet, out of place characters (speaking with overly modern dialog & sensibilities that feel out of place with the universe or acting like cartoon versions of the joker who I’m supposed to take seriously). Kilroy Stonekin says ONE funny line that references WoW. Mad King Thorn could be considered one but he’s just holiday content, comic relief & a light character. I’m not supposed to take him seriously. Saying that he’s a ‘pet’ character & comparing him to the year long primary villain? Maybe if Thorn was powerful enough to take over all Tyria, was hyper intelligent, could manipulate conflicting peoples, had a year focused on him, could travel the mists whenever he wanted, could read minds & was corrupted not just a jerk, then he might be a pet character that fueled the writers personal desires. As for Mhenlo, Cynn, Devona, and Aidan…. You’re just listing names & pretending they somehow make a point for you. I don’t know how you could be more arbitrarily asserting something.

Eh, no. Prophecies was an Excuse Plot to get the characters from one side of the world to the other and give them a moderate amount of practice with their professions in a group setting so they could then jump into PvP. This isn’t something you can deny, it was known way back when.

The only “excuse” Prophecies was for was content. GW1 was originally intended to be a PvP centered game. The focus of the vast majority of game quickly became PvE. The idea that most of the work & focus was spent on PvP is laughable. The combat balance was, yeah, but building an entire game world, with a story focus unheard of in an MMO before that make PvP a tiny fraction of the actual work. Fully voiced story cutscenes in an MMO & it’s an excuse? It’s an assertion with no in-game evidence.

Who said anything about the LS? I said, continue to say, and will always say the story of both games isn’t very strong. Romanticizing and fawning nostalgic over the first game doesn’t hold water because it made many more egregious errors in the writing over time. Every one of the campaigns had at least one, if not more. (In the case of Prophecies, it’s held together solely by the excuse of never letting the player characters discover anything until it’s too late.)

I said LS cuz this is a LS forum & that is what this thread was talking about. To me it’s the worst story in the game. The PS is better. Less personal fantasizing by the writers & I loved the Norn starting stuff. I don’t think either GW1 or GW2 is “Amazing” I never said that. But GW2 & the living story are worse.. the LS being mush worse, mostly because it’s an exercise in the the writers personal fetishes rather than enjoying the universe as a whole.

As for the last bit about “personal RP fetishes” . . . GW1 was developed from the ground up as PvP first in focus, PvE secondary. So if you want to play that card, be fair about it and knock points off GW1 for being a terrible example of PvE focus.

Again, I don’t know how you somehow feel like just saying things makes them true. When GW1 came out it was the most Story-focused MMO made. FF11 was a close 2nd with worse cutscenes. My friend’s first MMO was FF11 & she absolutely loved it. When I had her play GW1 she admitted it was a better presented, more fleshed out story. Again, you’re making an assertion with conflicting evidence. If you compare it to SWtOR, well yeah it’s not as well put together. But when it came out, it was the best Story MMO you could play.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Again, I don’t know how you somehow feel like just saying things makes them true. When GW1 came out it was the most Story-focused MMO made. FF11 was a close 2nd with worse cutscenes. My friend’s first MMO was FF11 & she absolutely loved it. When I had her play GW1 she admitted it was a better presented, more fleshed out story. Again, you’re making an assertion with conflicting evidence. If you compare it to SWtOR, well yeah it’s not as well put together. But when it came out, it was the best Story MMO you could play.

Saying them doesn’t necessarily make them true, but it calls attention to them rather than giving it a pass for no reason. I also never mentioned SWTOR because I never played it directly for more than a day and only saw some deconstructions of it in depth. Similar to World of Warcraft – I don’t play it, I have people who do that and then complain about it.

But in any rate. Back to the quoted paragraph.

MUDs were the best story-rich MMO you could get your hands into. If you could handle not having graphics, there were some pretty decent ones out there even 10 years ago.

Even if you discount the above by claiming they’re not “MMOs” by virtue of some criteria you pull directly from behind your belt, GW1 wasn’t story-focused as much as it was play balance focused. The story, at least for Prophecies, took a back seat to the gameplay. The story existed to get the players through the realms from the burned-out husk of Ascalon to the burned-rock landscape of the Ring of Fire.

And if you’re going to try to claim the story didn’t, then please look at the Crystal Desert trilogy of missions (Dunes of Despair, Thirsty River, Elona Reach) and tell me story didn’t take a back seat to showcasing PvP modes and mechanics?

in Living World

DarksunG.9537

Saying them doesn’t necessarily make them true, but it calls attention to them rather than giving it a pass for no reason.

No, it’s just making assertions.

I also never mentioned SWTOR because I never played it directly for more than a day and only saw some deconstructions of it in depth. Similar to World of Warcraft – I don’t play it, I have people who do that and then complain about it.

The point is back then it was the best.

Even if you discount the above by claiming they’re not “MMOs” by virtue of some criteria you pull directly from behind your belt, GW1 wasn’t story-focused as much as it was play balance focused.

Of course I’m not going to compare MUDS to a commercial MMOs. that’s ridiculous. I didn’t compare it to PnP RPGs either, that’s stupid. & if you compare it to MUDS, you have to compare it to ever single instance of a MUD ever played. & I can guarantee that most stories made by the GM’s suck reallllyy bad.

And if you’re going to try to claim the story didn’t, then please look at the Crystal Desert trilogy of missions (Dunes of Despair, Thirsty River, Elona Reach) and tell me story didn’t take a back seat to showcasing PvP modes and mechanics?

Hah, no, the Crystal Desert was actually some of the coolest game experience in GW. Were those 3 missions combat based? Yeah. So? That doesn’t inherently make a story bad or even not good. Especially when you read the dried bones stuff, learning about the Forgotten, the Margonites, Ghostly Hero, & finally meeting Glint. The way the environment was set up was an excellent example of creating an atmosphere with art. Often times that’s better than all the wording a MUD can conjure. The point of all of this is that even though they are try to "focus"on story, the characters & plots are stupid. “focus” =/= quality. & GW story & characters> GW2 story & characters. It’s no Lord of the Rings, but it’s better.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Saying them doesn’t necessarily make them true, but it calls attention to them rather than giving it a pass for no reason.

No, it’s just making assertions.

I also never mentioned SWTOR because I never played it directly for more than a day and only saw some deconstructions of it in depth. Similar to World of Warcraft – I don’t play it, I have people who do that and then complain about it.

The point is back then it was the best.

I hereby assert your opinion on what is best doesn’t make it true, any more than my assertions it wasn’t the best makes that true.

I mean, if you want to play with semantics and logic constructions, that’s where we’re headed.

Of course I’m not going to compare MUDS to a commercial MMOs. that’s ridiculous. I didn’t compare it to PnP RPGs either, that’s stupid. & if you compare it to MUDS, you have to compare it to ever single instance of a MUD ever played. & I can guarantee that most stories made by the GM’s suck reallllyy bad.

And I can guarantee the ones which really are good? Beat the stuffing out of GW1 and make it beg for mercy.

Hah, no, the Crystal Desert was actually some of the coolest game experience in GW. Were those 3 missions combat based? Yeah. So? That doesn’t inherently make a story bad or even not good. Especially when you read the dried bones stuff, learning about the Forgotten, the Margonites, Ghostly Hero, & finally meeting Glint. The way the environment was set up was an excellent example of creating an atmosphere with art. Often times that’s better than all the wording a MUD can conjure. The point of all of this is that even though they are try to "focus"on story, the characters & plots are stupid. “focus” =/= quality. & GW story & characters> GW2 story & characters. It’s no Lord of the Rings, but it’s better.

The Margonites didn’t exist until Nightfall so stop right there about what happened. And I point out the story was written around the mechanics of the three missions rather than the missions springing from the story (like happened later). You side-stepped that entire bit by talking about how wonderful you found the Crystal Desert as a whole.

That’s nice. I mean, it was my least favorite region to fight in, and only just edges out Maguuma because I really hate Jade Scarabs.

But the point I’m working at here? GW1 wasn’t really better than GW2. You just have fonder memories of it. That’s cool, because I have a fonder attachment to FF12 than most people I actually talk to, and still contend FF10 wasn’t as horrible as people say it was.

(Most of all, as horrible as some semi-famous internet critic made it out to be.)

GW1 didn’t start being decent until they gave up a primary focus on PvP and put some actual effort into their PvE.

GW2 won’t get any better until they sit down and tighten the underlying game before trying to mess with plot or more neat things to throw in on top.

in Living World

DarksunG.9537

I hereby assert your opinion on what is best doesn’t make it true, any more than my assertions it wasn’t the best makes that true.

except I’ve been give actual reasons why this whole time. Much of the time you just say something is the same or give reasons that conflict with what’s actually in game.

And I can guarantee the ones which really are good? Beat the stuffing out of GW1 and make it beg for mercy.

I can’t say. What I can say is that there is a reason why I didn’t compare them to GW1. I played PnP RPGs for like 13 years before I played GW it was amazing. Comparing the 2 is idiotic.. You can instantly, dynamically change the story to be anything & can interact with it in any way imaginable. Are we gonna compare the story in Street fighter to guild wars next?

The Margonites didn’t exist until Nightfall so stop right there about what happened. And I point out the story was written around the mechanics of the three missions rather than the missions springing from the story (like happened later). You side-stepped that entire bit by talking about how wonderful you found the Crystal Desert as a whole.

And here I though you knew what you were talking about I wonder if you think GW1 is just as bad because you don’t actually know as much about the story.
I didn’t side step anything, I said having the focus be combat doesn’t make the story worse. You seem to think that story = text. One of the things that made the Margonite story was SEEING the ships in the desert.

But the point I’m working at here? GW1 wasn’t really better than GW2. You just have fonder memories of it.

I just think it’s better. I loved the Norn starting stories, the pact PS was kinda bland, the LS just feels like someones personal “me” project.

in Living World

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

GW1 doesn’t have out of place, pet characters like GW2.

Do your rose-colored glasses let you see someone called “Mhenlo”, or someone named “Kormir?”

GW1 was filled with NPCs who were more important than the player characters. Good lord, how I wish I could have killed Mhenlo or his girl-friend Cynn.

At least in GW2, we got to stomp the annoying Scarlet.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

But the point I’m working at here? GW1 wasn’t really better than GW2. You just have fonder memories of it.

I just think it’s better. I loved the Norn starting stories, the pact PS was kinda bland, the LS just feels like someones personal “me” project.

I just think they’re about the same when taken as a whole. GW1 had way too many weak points and part where the plot moved a certain way “because I said so” (forced to do stupid things for the sake of the story) in comparison to GW2, even including the Living Story.

(Seriously, who did not spend five minutes watching Vizier Khilbron and hearing his dialogue without going “villain”?)

in Living World

DarksunG.9537

Do your rose-colored glasses let you see someone called “Mhenlo”, or someone named “Kormir?”

How are they even remotely as out of place as Scarlet?

GW1 was filled with NPCs who were more important than the player characters.

Um.. how does that me them out of place? in fact, that probably makes them more integral & consistent than anything. I don’t care about not being the main character. It makes more sense that way. you can’t have 3million main characters.

I just think they’re about the same when taken as a whole. GW1 had way too many weak points and part where the plot moved a certain way “because I said so” (forced to do stupid things for the sake of the story) in comparison to GW2, even including the Living Story.

Ehh.. I might say they’re close. GW1 failed in many ways, everything does, but I find the WAY GW2 failed so much more egregious. To me the biggest failures were:

Retconning lore: it’s saying “what happened before isn’t as important as what I have to say, so i’m going to change it to fit my story” It’s insulting to old lore & to people who liked it.

Scarlet: She’s the ultimate Villain Sue, which tends to be a reflection of the writers personal desires.

Personal rather than Universe driven story: I’m sorry, there are way to many consistent “socially-relevant” themes that permeate the LS characters. For a while I thought it was just me then I started seeing threads with people going “hey you notice this?” even players who fit into those groups. It could be that it’s just “bad” but it’s bad in a pretty thematic way. Maybe they are doing it because “socially-relevant” characters get a easy pass. Some people will love it because they like being continually patted on the back for being a progressive hero, but to me it’s distracting & out of place. I’m a minority myself, and I find it annoying to listen to “affirmative action” in my entertainment.

(Seriously, who did not spend five minutes watching Vizier Khilbron and hearing his dialogue without going “villain”?)

eh.. that was more voice acting than anything. just like Togo.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

How are they even remotely as out of place as Scarlet?

Do . . . do you really want to do that dance? Ohkay . . .

We have the utterly uncharismatic Mhenlo attracting not only Cynn but the attention of other female NPCs along the way, to the point our lovely pyromaniac elementalist is jealous and ready to set people on fire.

We also have Kormir, who everyone loves to point to as “Trahearne the Beta Version”. Personally, I don’t see it, but I’ll gladly step aside and let the people who want to explain how terrible she is so you get the idea this song and dance existed before.

While I’m at it, could find the people who absolutely loathed Gwen and groaned at her returning in Eye of the North. But nah, no point there.

GW1 was filled with NPCs who were more important than the player characters.

Um.. how does that me them out of place? in fact, that probably makes them more integral & consistent than anything. I don’t care about not being the main character. It makes more sense that way. you can’t have 3million main characters.

Because if the player character is superfluous then there’s no point to them being along anyway. This was the biggest concern I had over the story of Factions, by the way – the player character took way too much of a backseat to everyone else and was basically hired help. I didn’t care so much since I was an Ascalonian native in Cantha and had no idea of the political landscape . . . but it was still there.

To me the biggest failures were:

Retconning lore: it’s saying “what happened before isn’t as important as what I have to say, so i’m going to change it to fit my story” It’s insulting to old lore & to people who liked it.

I haven’t seen any retcons which were incredibly damaging to the lore which wouldn’t be expected from even the best of sequels. (i.e. Lord of the Rings retconned The Hobbit something awful.)

Scarlet: She’s the ultimate Villain Sue, which tends to be a reflection of the writers personal desires.

On the first, I’d argue the point if I hadn’t given up on it long ago due to deciding it was just an interpretation difference. On the second, that requires actual citations before you keep saying that.

Personal rather than Universe driven story: I’m sorry, there are way to many consistent “socially-relevant” themes that permeate the LS characters. For a while I thought it was just me then I started seeing threads with people going “hey you notice this?” even players who fit into those groups. It could be that it’s just “bad” but it’s bad in a pretty thematic way. Maybe they are doing it because “socially-relevant” characters get a easy pass. Some people will love it because they like being continually patted on the back for being a progressive hero, but to me it’s distracting & out of place. I’m a minority myself, and I find it annoying to listen to “affirmative action” in my entertainment.

I find it annoying to listen to terrible voice acting, but five minutes into a Team Four Star effort I got over it.

Also, you really need to prove this was a personal agenda instead of just asserting it with no proof.

eh.. that was more voice acting than anything. just like Togo.

It didn’t come through in the voice acting, it came through during the run from the Mantle on Sanctum Cay and how he kept presenting following his guidance as the only option. It was a big red warning sign when it came to the Abaddon’s Mouth mission.

in Living World

DarksunG.9537

Because if the player character is superfluous then there’s no point to them being along anyway.

huh? Being superfulous & Mehnlo having lots of girlfriends doesn’t make characters out-of-place. In terms of who he was, he was well respected person, I don’t know that he needs to be like a movie star. Having a character that acts way more wacky than anyone else in the game with silly modern dialogue “later tater” & have more intelligence, influence, skills, power & lore bending than any character in the whole universe for no explainable reason is “out of place”. How important you are to the story does not effect how well NPCs fit into it.

I haven’t seen any retcons which were incredibly damaging to the lore which wouldn’t be expected from even the best of sequels. (i.e. Lord of the Rings retconned The Hobbit something awful.)

Something awful? lol no, the changes he made were minor by comparison. Having the entirety of the human history be “well they just lied” is pretty dumb.

On the second, that requires actual citations before you keep saying that.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainSue
“But anyway, this character pretty much shows up as an author’s wish fulfillment to just be evil. Alternatively, in fanfiction, it might show up because the author favors the villain and wants a vicarious relationship with them. It might be a consequence of Evil Is Cool, taken to the logical extreme. Or, perhaps, the author just has a distaste for some (or all) of the protagonists and created the character to facilitate a Hate Fic, Fix Fic, or Revenge Fic. "
blahblahblah.. the point there is a kind of wish fulfillment with characters like that.

Also, you really need to prove this was a personal agenda instead of just asserting it with no proof.

I love how I say something list all the reasons why I think it’s true then you say “prove it” it’s a great way to ignore people. I’m saying it’s more logical to see all the things I listed as being part of a single vision than 100% arbitrary “just happen to be similar” occurrences.

It didn’t come through in the voice acting, it came through during the run from the Mantle on Sanctum Cay and how he kept presenting following his guidance as the only option. It was a big red warning sign when it came to the Abaddon’s Mouth mission.

So you’re saying that because you can’t choose what to do at any given moment he’s a bad character? How does that make sense? I can understand if you said he has no motivation, or that he’s 2D or something… but what the player can do?

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Having a character that acts way more wacky than anyone else in the game with silly modern dialogue “later tater” & have more intelligence, influence, skills, power & lore bending than any character in the whole universe for no explainable reason is “out of place”.

How about having quotes directly out of modern fiction show up on many NPCs/Henchmen/Heroes in GW1? And there’s Kilroy Stonekin, who we had to take seriously at least once. There’s the whole-person copy of Milton from Office Space put into an asura. There’s G.O.X who quotes GIR from Invader Zim.

But . . .“later tater” is where you draw the line?

This isn’t even going into how Palawa Joko was pretty much the most powerful thing in Elona and when we deal with him it’s a second-rate hack who seems to be trying badly to regain his glory days. Even Mad King Thorn stomped him down . . . Then suddenly he’s powerful enough to take Elona?

. . . and you’re upset about Scarlet.

Something awful? lol no, the changes he made were minor by comparison. Having the entirety of the human history be “well they just lied” is pretty dumb.

And having the entire book turned into “Bilbo telling tall tales to satisfy his ego and he hid the presence of the One Ring due to its subconscious grip on him” was really bad. Seriously, that’s not minor, that’s making everything in that book not substantiated later in LOTR questionable.

“But anyway, this character pretty much shows up as an author’s wish fulfillment to just be evil. Alternatively, in fanfiction, it might show up because the author favors the villain and wants a vicarious relationship with them. It might be a consequence of Evil Is Cool, taken to the logical extreme. Or, perhaps, the author just has a distaste for some (or all) of the protagonists and created the character to facilitate a Hate Fic, Fix Fic, or Revenge Fic. "
blahblahblah.. the point there is a kind of wish fulfillment with characters like that.

Given she died, was proven insane, and there’s nobody running around going “but she was so cool she needed to not be killed” in lore? Yeah, I think “Villain Sue” is overstating it.

In December I might have let it slide. When even Taimi pretty much goes “no, she had to go” when saying how much she envied her insight and designs? She’s not there anymore.

I love how I say something list all the reasons why I think it’s true then you say “prove it” it’s a great way to ignore people. I’m saying it’s more logical to see all the things I listed as being part of a single vision than 100% arbitrary “just happen to be similar” occurrences.

I love how you won’t prove it, you just continue to keep restating it’s something which is obvious or is already known, and when I called you on it you started deflecting it to accuse me instead.

It’s a real simple thing when debating, or even arguing properly. If you make a claim then you must cite your sources. Refusing to do so just makes it look like a personal axe to grind rather than an honest argument.

So you’re saying that because you can’t choose what to do at any given moment he’s a bad character? How does that make sense? I can understand if you said he has no motivation, or that he’s 2D or something… but what the player can do?

Don’t put words in my mouth.

I’ll be more clear though. Because he maneuvered us into fulfilling the prophecies, and it was clear he had his own agenda and wasn’t forthcoming about it, that’s a warning sign. It could be I’ve just seen the plot where an evil adviser has his own agenda not in step with his liege’s . . . it could be his design evoked Jafar way too much . . . it could be how he tells you what he needs you to do but never why or even what it accomplishes?

Sadly, I’ve been party to too many betrayals as part of that whole “treacherous adviser” package in games to immediately trust people. (I still don’t wholly trust Countess Anise.)

in Living World

Posted by: Treebeard The Swift.9620

Treebeard The Swift.9620

All I can say is that you guys sure love arguing on the forums. You do actually play right?

in Living World

Posted by: amonian.3596

amonian.3596

we need not zerg LS but permanent real content.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

All I can say is that you guys sure love arguing on the forums. You do actually play right?

I had to reinstall it and do something for the six hours while it patched. I must admit it contributed to the sour mood. And just when I had a day off, and nowhere I needed to be. Le sigh.

At least I’m not missing LS content.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ That’s why I keep a backup of the GW2.dat file.

in Living World

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

It was depressing to see Kristen Bornemann’s (Guild Wars 2 Development Director) write such an optimistic presentation on the two week release schedule for GW2 at the GDC. It seems like the higher ups are so focused and obsessed on what an achievement it is to release content every two weeks (which it is, I don’t want to distract from my point by giving the idea that the release schedule doesn’t require good work – it does) that they are losing sight of the context in which the content is experienced. People moaned about permanent content all year long, Colin told us we were heard and still the bulk of content released since then has been temporary. Players complain about achievement point grinds but they keep on coming. Players complain that content required them to play on ArenaNet’s timetable and not their own but you wouldn’t even know they read that from the way they continue to praise their release schedule without even recognising that the final product is different from a traditionally developed and released piece of content (I do believe the quality of content has suffered in their two week pipe line).

Very few content updates in that two week schedule had the quality of a more traditional MMO content release (whether it be an expansion or a content update which most MMOs experience). The two week format still has a quality vs quantity issue imo and that’s before you get to the temporary content issues.

I like the idea of ongoing updates to the game, but I don’t believe the Living World release schedule, poor story and gameplay are up to par. I certainly don’t miss the Living Story, designing a game with “keeping players around” as the sole focus is a recipe for bad decisions.

This, so much this, all of this. I strongly hope the people with the decision making power will realize this before it’s too late for the game.

They’ve said they’re trying to have the LS be like a TV show where you “want to zap in every week”. Except even with TV shows in today’s day and age, there’s probably a majority of people who don’t watch them every week when they come out, but buy the nice boxed DVD set and then watch them on their own time. TV shows don’t get erased from history once they’re aired, no, they’re available for sale and to re-watch them over and over again. People pay for DVD sets to get a coherent experience of content on their own time, the same is true for expansion sets …

I would have MUCH preferred it to pay 20$ and get the entire past year of Living Story in a nice, always replayable, always available when I want it, expansion set.

(edited by Awbee.8405)

in Living World

Posted by: Konrad Knox.5162

Konrad Knox.5162

All I hear here is complain, complain, complain, we’re bored.
So, here’s a crazy question: why rely on developer content to entertain yourself?
This is a roleplaying game, so roleplay. Write down stories for your characters, motivations, and get into character, interact with others, in character. Have romance, intrigue, politics. Why does it have to be official content driven, and why does it have to involve new things to kill? Back in the day I remember text MUDs with no graphics at all, or 2D graphical roleplaying games where everyone looked the same, but great many stories were told by players themselves due to imagination. Characters became mortal enemies and formed clans and families. People created drama over paper figurines, and those days I remember as truly epic in gaming. Here today you are given an amazing looking 3D MMORPG with all this visual content, taverns, actual functional drinks that blur your vision, character emotes, voice overs. Today’s gamer is highly spoiled, boxed in, and uncreative. The more technical capabilities you are given, the more and more you demand, and the less you use your own imagination. I invite every “roleplayer” in an MMORPG to become a true roleplayer, and remember what RPG at the end of MMORPG stands for.

in Living World

Posted by: DJSushi.5406

DJSushi.5406

I like the idea of ongoing updates to the game, but I don’t believe the Living World release schedule, poor story and gameplay are up to par. I certainly don’t miss the Living Story, designing a game with “keeping players around” as the sole focus is a recipe for bad decisions.

This, so much this, all of this. I strongly hope the people with the decision making power will realize this before it’s too late for the game.

They’ve said they’re trying to have the LS be like a TV show where you “want to zap in every week”. Except even with TV shows in today’s day and age, there’s probably a majority of people who don’t watch them every week when they come out, but buy the nice boxed DVD set and then watch them on their own time. TV shows don’t get erased from history once they’re aired, no, they’re available for sale and to re-watch them over and over again. People pay for DVD sets to get a coherent experience of content on their own time, the same is true for expansion sets …

I would have MUCH preferred it to pay 20$ and get the entire past year of Living Story in a nice, always replayable, always available when I want it, expansion set.

Double this. As someone who rarely watches TV shows these days until I buy it on dvd, I completely agree with this. I’ve even bought full dvd sets of shows i’ve already seen, just for the sake of knowing I could rewatch them anytime I choose. This same logic applies for a game – ANET I WILL SERIOUSLY PAY YOU TO HAVE UNLIMITED AND UNRESTRICTED ACCESS TO THE CONTENT YOU MAKE.

Possibly I just dont realise how unimportant this particular type of consumption behavior is in the big picture of revenue models or whatnot, but I find that hard to believe. Cause I mean, I spend stupid amounts of money on TV show dvds.

(edited by DJSushi.5406)

in Living World

Posted by: tazzannl.5016

tazzannl.5016

Or how about this? Get on with showing us the other elder dragons rising and let us defeat them instead of prolonging the inevitable…???

Beta & GW1 player 2005|Maguuma|28 characters| Mount Maelstrom and Caledon Forest |England|

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I miss the living story. I enjoyed constantly having new stuff to do.