No more expansions pls!

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

They’ve already confirmed that work on the next expansion has already begun. In fact, one of the leads on the expansion is Matthew Medina.

They also confirmed 16 legendaries…
people deserve what they have i guess..

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

adding the crystal desert and elona would at least be a step up, HoT is barely worth calling an expansion, more an addon…..

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I find it very interesting that they want us to pay 50 dollars for an “expansion” that doesn’t include a whole lot of new content. The amount of content in HoT does not equal that of the basic Guild Wars game. My question is, why pay so much for so little content?

I’m still refusing to buy HoT, and my refusal is costing me dearly because now I have a disadvantage in PvP from not buying the darn thing. It just makes no sense to me how or why I should even buy HoT or continue playing the game when

1. - It costs as much as the basic Guild Wars game, with maybe 1/25th of the content
  2. - The shear number of expansions they’re going to throw at us in the future will each cost 50 dollars, and then go free (possibly) when the next expac is released
  3. - I will be at a disadvantage if I choose not to buy an expansion

I agree wholeheartedly. Expacs may have ruined the game for me.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I find it very interesting that they want us to pay 50 dollars for an “expansion” that doesn’t include a whole lot of new content. The amount of content in HoT does not equal that of the basic Guild Wars game. My question is, why pay so much for so little content?

I’m still refusing to buy HoT, and my refusal is costing me dearly because now I have a disadvantage in PvP from not buying the darn thing. It just makes no sense to me how or why I should even buy HoT or continue playing the game when

1. - It costs as much as the basic Guild Wars game, with maybe 1/25th of the content
  2. - The shear number of expansions they’re going to throw at us in the future will each cost 50 dollars, and then go free (possibly) when the next expac is released
  3. - I will be at a disadvantage if I choose not to buy an expansion

I agree wholeheartedly. Expacs may have ruined the game for me.

No one is arguing that HoT was exceptionally well handled. That doesn’t mean expansions aren’t a sound concept.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

Okay, I have to ask after reading most of this thread….

Those of you who have said HoT felt “rushed”…. How? Why? I simply don’t get that comment. Unless you were on the development team and there were many more things in the pipeline that were missed or you just quickly shoved this and that together, how can you say, as a player, you ‘felt’ it was rushed?

#intrigued.

As for the op… I disagree entirerly: your opinion however, but why not go play something else rather than complain about a game a huge number of people still love.

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

sorudo.9054

Those of you who have said HoT felt “rushed”…. How? Why? I simply don’t get that comment. Unless you were on the development team and there were many more things in the pipeline that were missed or you just quickly shoved this and that together, how can you say, as a player, you ‘felt’ it was rushed?

if you know Anet as long as i do then you know why ppl say that, they used to make whole games full of content but now a small add-on with a tiny bit of new is all they get finished.
Anet used to have guild wars expanded all the time, 3 chapters and an expansion within 2.5 years is in my book quite a good thing.
now all they managed to do is make one single chapter with tons of temp events only a handful liked and one single expansion, an expansion that is as much worth as a free app from the play story.

not only that, the epac was released filled with “easy fix” bugs with half it’s functions not even included, the functions they added till now.
this is something i am not used to from Anet, they normally add everything in there expansion and later on think of improving the rest.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

if you know Anet as long as i do then you know why ppl say that, they used to make whole games full of content but now a small add-on with a tiny bit of new is all they get finished.
Anet used to have guild wars expanded all the time, 3 chapters and an expansion within 2.5 years is in my book quite a good thing.
now all they managed to do is make one single chapter with tons of temp events only a handful liked and one single expansion, an expansion that is as much worth as a free app from the play story.

not only that, the epac was released filled with “easy fix” bugs with half it’s functions not even included, the functions they added till now.
this is something i am not used to from Anet, they normally add everything in there expansion and later on think of improving the rest.

The problem is they used to make expansions full of content that was far easier to make. I mean 250 quests isn’t really that much content in the sense you’re thinking of. The maps were pathed. There was no Z axis. And the “open world” was instanced, so they knew exactly how many people would be in each zone max.

If you think making stuff for a true MMO and making stuff for a lobby game is the same thing, I’m not really sure what to say.

Guild Wars 2, as a game over all, is far more ambitious than Guild Wars 1 ever was.

To put this in perspective, Guild Wars 2 launched with more dynamic events than Guild Wars 1 had quests all together. That is if you add up all the quests in Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and EotN, the number was less than the dynamic events Guild Wars 2 launched with.

It was a different time. Things were simpler and took less time.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

sorudo.9054

The problem is they used to make expansions full of content that was far easier to make. I mean 250 quests isn’t really that much content in the sense you’re thinking of. The maps were pathed. There was no Z axis. And the “open world” was instanced, so they knew exactly how many people would be in each zone max.

that’s BS in every sense, the world in GW1 can be as open world as GW2, remove some portals to expand the smaller maps and there is literally no difference.
the only “easy” part is that they don’t have to make everything with Z axes in mind, with that in mind you can just as much have GW2 maps in GW1 and get the same result.

If you think making stuff for a true MMO and making stuff for a lobby game is the same thing, I’m not really sure what to say.

then learn game mechanics, that’s all i can say about that.

Guild Wars 2, as a game over all, is far more ambitious than Guild Wars 1 ever was.

not really but go no

To put this in perspective, Guild Wars 2 launched with more dynamic events than Guild Wars 1 had quests all together.

yet quest are more fun then any heart but together, so it’s 50/50 there

That is if you add up all the quests in Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and EotN, the number was less than the dynamic events Guild Wars 2 launched with.

what does the number of quests have to do with anything, have just as much quests and you get the same…..

It was a different time. Things were simpler and took less time.

not really, it took less time because they planned things before hand, the amount of work behind it is kind of the same.
if they plan things allot better before hand you would have seen about 3 expansions by now with a whole chapter this fall, that’s the difference.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Sorudo,

Vayne said Dynamic Events, not hearts.

The devs have said that GW2 requires more work because it is a true open world rather than a lobby based game. Of course GW2’s team is much larger than was that working on GW1, so perhaps a wash there.

Personally I would say that GW1 was the more ambitious.

(1) GW1: a group of individuals leave behind one of the biggest companies, and biggest projects, in their industry to come together to create their own company, to create their own game, both done the way they envision in contrast to how such have been done before.

(2) GW2: A highly successful company receives large amounts of funding based on that past success in order to produce a game that is an evolution of what they have already done. It is designed to follow a different path, in some ways, than its competition while purposefully adhering to genre design tropes and standards in others in order to appeal to the customer base they already built with their previous game while attempting to draw in fans of more established games in the genre.

(1) is certainly more ambitious from the point of view of creativity, risk taking, vision, etc. (2) is certainly more ambitious from the point of view of an attempt to make more money.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Einlanzer.1627

#intrigued.

As for the op… I disagree entirerly: your opinion however, but why not go play something else rather than complain about a game a huge number of people still love.

It has to do with various things, many of which are legitimate:

1. the unlock/addition of elite specs with literally zero narrative or buildup surrounding it. You just ding 80 and your spec unlocks, but then it takes forever to finish it out, which is silly because why would you use it if you haven’t learned all of the traits yet? This highlights some problems with the current training system in the game.

2. ditto for the Revenant, including Rytlock’s famous and cringeworthy “I’ll tell you later.”

3. the lack of any redux of LW1 content, which played a pivotal role in HoT’s story

4. The general lightness of content – 4 zones, 0 dungeons, and 7 armor skins is much less content than a typical expansion for most MMOs, even if it had a normal pricetag. Granted, the zones were fairly robust in scale, but still.

As for your second question, people who are paying customers have a right to come to the forum to complain about things they don’t like. It’s done out of passion – most of them love the game, or at least want to love it. It’s the nature of the beast. I do it frequently, although I’m also not above praising Arenanet when it’s due, such as with the overwhelmingly positive changes brought from the last patch.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I changed my mind i still hate these things, far too hard on solo customers.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

I am perfectly fine and happy with the expansions as long as they keep doing living story and other updates in the between time. The most common comment I see is people wanting more content and there are these weird down times we have without any content being added to the game. HoT was clearly not enough to keep the bulk of people occupied and exploring until the next thing comes out.

In addition, we have a bunch of new players that have never played season 1. I know that some sort of way to add it to the story journal is being discussed, but not a priority because of the amount of work going into it.

Season 1 content is already prepared, ready to go. They should bring it back to be replayed (and played for the first time by new people) in the meantime.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Einlanzer.1627

I am perfectly fine and happy with the expansions as long as they keep doing living story and other updates in the between time. The most common comment I see is people wanting more content and there are these weird down times we have without any content being added to the game. HoT was clearly not enough to keep the bulk of people occupied and exploring until the next thing comes out.

In addition, we have a bunch of new players that have never played season 1. I know that some sort of way to add it to the story journal is being discussed, but not a priority because of the amount of work going into it.

Season 1 content is already prepared, ready to go. They should bring it back to be replayed (and played for the first time by new people) in the meantime.

Agreed. I really am not sure why it’s not more of a priority than it is, regardless of the amount of work involved. If I was in charge it would be the #1 priority because it severely impacts the overall presentation of the game and the cohesion of the narrative.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

I don’t know if some people are trolling or simply lazy.
I started playing HoT and never bothered in grinding any masteries at all. I just went to the jungle to explore and find out a bit more of what the hell was happening to the jungle dragon and stuff… Ended up with a mastery level over 100 when I noticed.
Honestly speaking, if those people complaining about the grind, are focusing in playing for the sole purpose of maxing your masteries before, well actually playing the game, then of course you are getting bored. Don’t blame Anet for your simple minded way of playing that comes with a mechanic way of doing things, because that’s your problem.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Einlanzer.1627

I started playing HoT and never bothered in grinding any masteries at all. I just went to the jungle to explore and find out a bit more of what the hell was happening to the jungle dragon and stuff… Ended up with a mastery level over 100 when I noticed.
Honestly speaking, if those people complaining about the grind, are focusing in playing for the sole purpose of maxing your masteries before, well actually playing the game, then of course you are getting bored. Don’t blame Anet for your simple minded way of playing that comes with a mechanic way of doing things, because that’s your problem.

Yeah, no. You don’t get to 100 mastery points without trying.

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

#intrigued.

You comment my thread which is 3 months old, gg. Alot has changed since. Since Mike took over the game has gone in a more positive direction, mastery system doesnt feel as grindy anymore as they used to. Now it goes so fast to get exp that i cant keep up with getting mastery points. Its positive tho! They brought back alpine map in wvw which highlighted the wvw experience again. They added more reward to every aspect of the game, more gold from dungeons, more reward from hot maps etc etc. The game is way better now than it has been for 1+ year because of content drought and since they butchered the core game with hot launch. Even so, i do prefer living world above expansions, but it also depends on the content in the next expansion, if it will outshine living world. Personally tho, i like to see smth new every 2 weeks like we got in living world 1, where we could do events for 2 weeks to get an item of our choice. The reward system was fabilous in that way, because it made the items you got during those events feel rare and that you had achieved something. Living world 1 was very exciting! Only downside is, they should have made some things permanent content. When they added that dungeon in flame and frost etc they should have let it stay how it was. Those dungeons are KINDA in the game, but in the shape of fractals, but a big shunk of the content in those dungeons were removed. Living story 2 i hate…nothing to say about it. Too short.

(edited by sanctuary.1068)

No more expansions pls!

in Living World

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

Nope, the exp gained for casual players was way too low. Because this game…is aimed for casual players. Anet made their game for casual players. If you didnt know that already, well you should go watch their vids when they promoted their game. Colin even said a few months ago in a twitch interview that the mastery system had become a bit more grindy than intended. Everyone dont have the time to play 8 hours a day, people have jobs. If people wanted to play grindy games they wouldnt play guild wars 2, but more like games like old version of lineage 2 where exp gained took 0.02% to get per hour of grind. When i was a teen i didnt mind grindy games but as you get older, you want smth more casual, where you can login and play for 1 hour and still get rewarded for your time invested. That was Anets whole point with gw1 and gw2. No waiting for the fun, no grind in a old fashioned sense. With the mastery system it became a grind for casual players who had 1-2 hours to play per day. Living world 1 was great in that way because an event took max 1 hour and you got rewarded very nicely for your time invested.

Besides that, Anet removed the whole purpose with hot “play how you want to play the game”. As of now you can only grind hot masterys in hot zones, you cant lvl them in wvw, nor in core tyrian zones. Youre bound forever to play in hot zones, which entirely removes Anets memo to play the game how you want. In the core game, you could lvl in all possible ways to get to lvl 80. May it be wvw, doing hearts & events in the world or pvp. So you see a clear difference…And that is what makes the game boring sometimes, because you CANT play the game how you want if you want to lvl up your masterys.

(edited by sanctuary.1068)