Piles of Silky Sand

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: The Pied Piper.9827

The Pied Piper.9827

Is there a point to this that I am missing? I get a stack and all I get from it is 4 Geodes. Seems kind of pointless to me.

Has anyone gotten anything better out of them?

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

At best one geode at a time. They are pointless.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

You can sometimes get Lockpicks from them too, but they’re quite rare.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can get Ambrite, Geodes, and Lockpicks. I’ve received each of those from the Piles of Silky Sand.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I usually get nothing. What a waste of time. They should give at least a few coppers, minimum.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

I love ’em. Give me frequent cause to use my M2 key.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Silky sand is supposed to be annoying and largely useless, guys. It’s a flavor item. When you’re in Dry Top, everywhere you go and everything you do causes sand to get into your bags, and every so often you have to stop and clean the sand out.

It’s a little bit annoying, but it’s totally appropriate to something you would have to do while running around in a desert tundra, and very infrequently you find something good in the sand as a bonus.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

they should have made them so you could trade them in for stuff. the way they are is terible

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I should get sand when I take off my boots. Every two steps, rinse and repeat. More immersive and has the same effect. The quantity will vary of course, big feet = larger boots = more sand.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Silky sand is supposed to be annoying and largely useless, guys. It’s a flavor item. When you’re in Dry Top, everywhere you go and everything you do causes sand to get into your bags, and every so often you have to stop and clean the sand out.

It’s a little bit annoying, but it’s totally appropriate to something you would have to do while running around in a desert tundra, and very infrequently you find something good in the sand as a bonus.

I can’t believe this never occurred to me. This is so perfect, I… I just… I can’t…

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I used about 110 sand the other day and all I got was about 5 geodes. I think I have received a couple lockpicks before, but that’s pretty much it.

Did you guys know they are selling silky sand in the gem shop? There is a Zephyrite Rescue Pack for 1,000 gems and part of it is a stack of 250 silky sand. It takes 10 sand to use for a chance to get anything, so that’s 25 chances to get something from it.

Silky sand: dumbest idea Anet ever come up with. We should be guaranteed at least 5 geodes per use with a chance to get more and a rare chance to get a lockpick or other item.

Sidenote: The merchants should sell regular merchant items for coins, not coins and geodes. I have to go somewhere else to get master salvage kits because the amount of geodes I get are so low I cant afford regular stuff like that. I don’t care if the cost is half the silver price of regular vendors. I’d rather pay 15s for a salvage kit than 8s and 100 geodes.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

They’re grey trash items that you can actually get good loot from occasionally. I fail to see the problem.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: The Pied Piper.9827

The Pied Piper.9827

That makes complete sense. I never thought about that.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

We heard you liked RNG so we put RNG sand in your RNG loot boxes.

The idea is fine that sand gets everywhere and occasionally you’ll get something useful from it but I can’t help but think that they are putting too many things behind mechanics that aren’t going to be worthwhile after this episode. I need Geodes to buy stuff but I also can’t buy the stuff without a huge team effort to get to tier X.

As far as MMO’s go, this is more along the lines of a single player RPG that you happen to be in with thousands of other people. I cannot under any circumstances rely on any other players to help me do the simple task of purchasing an item from a vendor… Is the vendor even a Zepherite? If not, why would I need their favor to buy something from an outlaw? And if so, they better be using those geodes to fix their jumping skill crystals!

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

What is wrong with you people?

Is this really such an issue?

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

What is wrong with you people?

Is this really such an issue?

There is nothing wrong with the players. This goes back to what’s wrong with Anet and this game. Rewards have always been way out of line with the time/effort required to obtain them.

In my opinion it’s the biggest single reason why people have left this game. There is no sense of reward here, and this silky sand garbage points this out in the worst way.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

There is nothing wrong with the players. This goes back to what’s wrong with Anet and this game. Rewards have always been way out of line with the time/effort required to obtain them.

In my opinion it’s the biggest single reason why people have left this game. There is no sense of reward here, and this silky sand garbage points this out in the worst way.

This.

The sand takes up room in inventory, relies on a despised RNG, and often gives absolutely nothing. There is nothing wrong with having a guaranteed but low-value reward to keep people invested in what they’re doing.
But, I’m going to assume someone misread a chapter on variable reward systems in Psych 101 and insisted that sand (and BL lion chests, honestly) should be this way.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

This would be an awesome idea IF they had an NPC in Prosperity talk about it. Something like,

NPC1: UGH! I hate this place! Sand gets EVERYWHERE! I’m constantly cleaning it out of my bags!"
NPC2: Yeah, me too. However I occasionally find valuable stuff so it’s not a total loss.

I’m sure that would spark a few lightbulbs in players’ heads.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

So you are crying about loot you are getting on top of the normal loot table? That is really is an issue, yep, that is so bad I can’t even describe.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

This would be an awesome idea IF they had an NPC in Prosperity talk about it. Something like,

NPC1: UGH! I hate this place! Sand gets EVERYWHERE! I’m constantly cleaning it out of my bags!"
NPC2: Yeah, me too. However I occasionally find valuable stuff so it’s not a total loss.

I’m sure that would spark a few lightbulbs in players’ heads.

Ugh…

You’re in a desert. Walking on sand, sometimes sinking into quicksand. There’s a sandstorm blowing and revealing chests buried in sand. Sand is being blown into your face and you can find a mask and spectacles to protect your face from it. Dust Twisters and Dust Mites are attacking you, blinding you by raising clouds of sand, and you pick up loot covered in sand from their sandy bodies.

Now, if only we had an NPC who would give us a hint on why we’re getting sand in our inventory…

20 level 80s and counting.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Azure Fang.8605

Azure Fang.8605

Wow, some players really will complain about anything.

As Bubi said, the sand is OVER AND ABOVE the normal loot. It isn’t a replacement (except in extremely rare cases when harvesting cacti). On dust mites it’s a 100% drop before normal loot rules kick in, and on other mobs it a random chance that does not replace other loot. Clean the sand out of your collective eyes (could have typed something much worse and been banned even after autocensor), enjoy your free loot, and quit being over-entitled munchkins.

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Nanashi.6297

Nanashi.6297

I got a lockpick and a few geodes of them but all in all they are a waste of space. if you at least didn’t had to collect 10 of them first… just lower the chance of the “rewards” and let me use them one by one. this way I wouldn’t have a wasted slot on my inventory.

(edited by Nanashi.6297)

Piles of Silky Sand

in Living World

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I think it would have been better if you’d get at least 1 geode each time, if they feel like it would give people too many then just increase the required stack. I’m already using different fingers for luck items to prevent them from breaking my hands, spamclicking the sand does get a bit annoying sometimes. But at least it is just contained to this area, whereas the luck items aren’t.