So, Order of Whispers canon (spoilers)

in Living World

Posted by: Ookamikun.6472

Ookamikun.6472

So my character is a charr Whispers member (he’s an elementalist, yeah for some odd reason my thief is in Vigil and my warrior is in Priory, go figure :P). I like how Logan has a unique one line (he says he’s still feeling strange to see a charr in the throne room, but he likes it that it’s me in it, something along that lines).

But for some odd reason there’s no single throwaway line that Demmi is with the Whispers or that she recognizes me. I guess it can’t be helped, you are forced to pick a race at the start of the game, but you can reach LS3 without picking an Order. Still, I take it the dialog is the same regardless right?

Does this mean if say, I didn’t go with Whispers, it’s safe to assume Demmi became the “clutch” of Tybalt which normally befalls on the player character? If so, I wonder what killed Tybalt. Or do we subscribe to all three mentors were in Claw Island harboring different players/commanders at the same time? :P

in Living World

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I’ve always wondered why Tybalt was so special and not Forgal and Sieran?

Since Forgal and Sieran died aswell at the same chapter as Tybalt did.
They’re doing the exact same thing as they were our Order mentors...

Anyway, since Demmi was in the Order of Whispers and since Tybalt was saving her along with the ’commander’, I guess she liked him more than us,

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

in Living World

Posted by: Vegetation.6419

Vegetation.6419

They’re doing the exact same thing as they were our Order mentors…

Anyway, since Demmi was in the Order of Whispers and since Tybalt was saving her along with the ‘commander’, I guess she liked him more than us,

Because Tybalt sold good apples

in Living World

Ookamikun.6472

It’s weird that they never hinted that she’s from Whispers. The closest is definitely Tybalt, but if you never played PS you wouldn’t know that.

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

So my character is a charr Whispers member (he’s an elementalist, yeah for some odd reason my thief is in Vigil and my warrior is in Priory, go figure :P).

Nothing odd about that! All the Orders need members from all walks of life. Defy the usual convention!

But for some odd reason there’s no single throwaway line that Demmi is with the Whispers or that she recognizes me. I guess it can’t be helped, you are forced to pick a race at the start of the game, but you can reach LS3 without picking an Order. Still, I take it the dialog is the same regardless right?

There may not be a voiced line, but one of the letters in Caudecus’s Manor mentions that Demmi was first kidnapped by the Jackdaws, then another that she was hiding with the other Whispers members.
As for a throwaway line, I believe both the Vigil and the Whispers members respond to her comment on how to get past the Jade Constructs. Not quite what you might have been hoping for, but it wasn’t totally ignored, either.

Does this mean if say, I didn’t go with Whispers, it’s safe to assume Demmi became the “clutch” of Tybalt which normally befalls on the player character? If so, I wonder what killed Tybalt. Or do we subscribe to all three mentors were in Claw Island harboring different players/commanders at the same time? :P

Again, going back to the letter in Caudecus’s Manor, it seems that all of the Personal Story options happened at the same time, but if it wasn’t you doing it, it was another hero of Tyria. Tybalt would have still rescued Demmi and taken her into the Whispers operation, and then he died, probably around the same time our other mentor died on Claw Island.

Tybalt was a fan favourite, while Forgal and Sieran never really had the same fan following. As such, Tybalt gets the pandering while the other two are merely footnotes. In this particular instance, though, it feels appropriate to have Demmi talk about Tybalt.

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Anyway, since Demmi was in the Order of Whispers and since Tybalt was saving her along with the ‘commander’, I guess she liked him more than us,

People seem to care about Tybalt more. I’ve played through all 3 storylines and I can’t even remember the names of the other two mentors, but I never forgot Tybalt. Not sure why.

in Living World

Posted by: Teleoceras.1298

Teleoceras.1298

People seem to care about Tybalt more. I’ve played through all 3 storylines and I can’t even remember the names of the other two mentors, but I never forgot Tybalt. Not sure why.

Which is ironic since of my 26 characters, 18 are Vigil, 6 Priory, and only 2 are Whispers. Forgal was always my personal favorite because he is such a mad dog at times!

But like was mentioned earlier, I don’t think it would have mattered which order you joined, Tybalt and Demmi met regardless. It just so happens that in my case, the other agent wasn’t the pact commander.

29 characters!
League of Omnipotents [Omni], Fort Aspenwood

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If there isn’t any change in the dialogue it’s not because people may not have done the personal story. There’s a couple of lines which change depending on whether you’ve done the dungeon or not, and there’s dialogue in other parts of the game which references your order (the most obvious being the extra dialogue Whispers members get with their agents around the world), so it is possible for the game to check what choices you made so the developers can change the dialogue.

My guess is they either didn’t think of it or they couldn’t find a sensible way to fit it in. The obvious thing to me would be when Demmi is first introduced in Regrouping with the Queen – non Whispers members should have a longer introduction to explain who she is as they may not have met her before. She mentions she’s Caudecus’ daughter, but if you don’t know she defected and joined the Order of Whispers it seems a bit weird that everyone is so willing to trust her.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

In this case I don’t think it’s anything to do with Tybalt being a fan favourite. It’s simply that Demmi was trained by him, whereas she never met the other two.

(I think the way the story works is that all the events in all the personal stories happened, just without your character there – e.g. if you create a non-norn character the norn in Wayfarer Foothills will still talk about the moot and you can still see the dead giant ice wurm, you just never got to fight it.)

My understanding is that most mentions of Tybalt are character-dependent, if you picked the Vigil or Priory they’re replaced by references to Forgal and Sieran instead. I think the only exception is that so far there isn’t a miniature of the other two, but minis seem pretty random in general, there’s quite a few characters I tend to think are obvious who don’t have a mini.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Rognik.2579

The obvious thing to me would be when Demmi is first introduced in Regrouping with the Queen – non Whispers members should have a longer introduction to explain who she is as they may not have met her before. She mentions she’s Caudecus’ daughter, but if you don’t know she defected and joined the Order of Whispers it seems a bit weird that everyone is so willing to trust her.

Queen Jennah says that Demmi is a trusted friend. That quieted Anise’s complaints about having “the daughter of the villain” come along, but it might also have been part of why she came along on this mission. (Killing Caudecus was also on her mind.) I’m pretty sure most people would trust Demmi after having the Queen vouch for her, considering what we know of Jennah’s actions even just in this chapter. More would’ve been redundant.

Also, I think if Demmi and a Whispers agent acknowledged knowing each other, it would kind of blow open the whole secret spy organization concept they have going. One-Drink Drake returns in Lake Doric, but I don’t think he has any special dialogue for people who met him in their personal story, either. (Admittedly, you were disguised as a pirate at the time…)

in Living World

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

i remember my character makimg a cheeky ahem when demi suggested we got the vigil way and yolo our way to caudecous not sure if character from other order did that but if not its a nice touch for the vigil fanboiz

in Living World

Ookamikun.6472

Again, going back to the letter in Caudecus’s Manor, it seems that all of the Personal Story options happened at the same time, but if it wasn’t you doing it, it was another hero of Tyria. Tybalt would have still rescued Demmi and taken her into the Whispers operation, and then he died, probably around the same time our other mentor died on Claw Island.

Would it fit if say all three mentors went on Claw Island and they all sacrificed their lives for one of the mentor’s progeny, Trahearne, and Mira?

in Living World

Rognik.2579

Would it fit if say all three mentors went on Claw Island and they all sacrificed their lives for one of the mentor’s progeny, Trahearne, and Mira?

I’m going to venture no, only your order’s mentor died at Claw Island, but the other two died when Zhaitan’s forces attacked all three orders at the same time.

in Living World

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

I’m going to venture no, only your order’s mentor died at Claw Island, but the other two died when Zhaitan’s forces attacked all three orders at the same time.

I’m not sure, I think the game is going to treat them as if they all died at claw island. There were a lot of NPC’s there, so that makes sense, there could have easily been other order squads there at the same time.

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’m not sure, I think the game is going to treat them as if they all died at claw island. There were a lot of NPC’s there, so that makes sense, there could have easily been other order squads there at the same time.

That’s generally my way of thinking about it as well – particularly when you consider that there’s probably only a few dozen Lionguard represented in the mission and a few hundred Risen at most, which is pretty small for such an important garrison. It’s probably reasonable to presume that most major military engagements we see are actually quite a bit larger than what is shown, they just can’t show what’s really there because the computational resources required to do so would be insane.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Living World

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Why would the other mentors be at Claw Island though? You and your mentor were there (of course) and so was Treaherne and the Lionguard were there to defend them but I don’t remember the other orders being at Claw Island.

Of course, they could have ended up there as the natural result of their own orders investigations. You were there with Tybalt, Sieran with some Priory Novice, Forgal and some Vigil initiate.

It would have been good to have some dialog between them interrupted by the Risen attack. I have a mental image of the three mentors standing shoulder to shoulder with their backs to the gate holding back the risen. They could have used them as the first glimpse of the pact that would form.

in Living World

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

I mean, granted I am also in the Order of Whispers – so I’m familiar with both Demmi and Tybalt, but I’d think it’d also become obvious when she snarks about the Vigil or the Priory way of handling the various mobs.

I just ran through sneakily and was awarded a whispers achievement for it. Perhaps I’ve just got the OfW in my blood. :P

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The game always treats storylines you haven’t personally done as happening, just “without the Pact Commander” but someone else doing the job.

If the mentors died, they would have died either when encountering the Orrian scout in the mission before, or at Claw Island. Whether or not their recruit died too is questioned.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.