*Spoiler* Whose death was more impactful?

in Living World

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

As topic.

Belinda or Drooburt?

Belinda:
We only saw her for 1 episode, chit chatted abit then saw her hang in Episode 2.
While she’s related to Marjory, and its sad that she died, i can’t help but feel that Anet
wasted an opportunity to pull an “Aeris” on us. She should have stayed for a couple of episodes more IMO, which would make her death MORE impactful. Really lost a golden opportunity with this one IMO.

Drooburt:
Surprisingly, i felt more sad at seeing Drooburt die then Belinda.
Partly because I know i’ll never see my 1 gold back lol.
He was just there, with absolutely no reason other then asking for money.
While we also only saw Droo for only 1 episode, we have absolutely no idea where he’s from, other then a probably down on his luck quaggan just needing a drink and i dunno, i truly felt sad when i saw him just hanging there, because he truly was an innocent victim of Mordy’s onslaught.

Waddya’ll think?

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

(edited by Snowmoon.1758)

in Living World

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I don’t think we were supposed to care that much Belinda died, just feel empathy for Marjory.

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Ekhm… Who’s Drobutt ?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

Thirsty Quaggan.

in Living World

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Ugh, tough question if you reduce it to these two… I would say Drooburt.

Belinda felt like a waste in retrospect, only to be there to be killed off.
Sure death is a sad thing, but how much time did we really spend with her?
We met her at the end of S1, again for a little bit in S2E1, just to have her killed the next time we meet her in S2E2.

I am sorry, but the one who has a history with her is Majory and not me.

Drooburt actually was just a background Character, but if you talked to him he asked for money, since he wanted somethign to drink. He was a stupid Quaggan in the dessert.
His whole existence was annoying (at least for me. I mean, there was a waterhole just a bit outside the village. If you are no alcoholic get your water there…)

Subsequently seeing him dead was rather, weird. I was thinking: “You stupid Quggan, why were you even here…”

in Living World

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

If belinda was to die, then there should have been a scene where we see Marjory absolutely POWERLESS to save her and see her slowly die right before her eyes.
It would have been a much more powerful scene then the one we got right now.
Meh~ i guess they have limited budget on cinematics.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Who’s Belinda, then? You mean, that plant decoration ?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Who’s Drooburt?

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Who is Drooburt?
Also I didn’t notice anyone dying except Belinda.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Belinda served a purpose, she got Marjory out of the scene for now, we will see for how long – she is a motivation for Marjory and might be used for the relationship with Kasmeer, bring some tension perhaps or deepen it further, can go both ways really.

Drooburt – I don’t know him, just read about him here on the forums. I mean a lot of people like quaggans etc, I assumed he might become the next hobo-tron, anyways, if he would have asked for some water I would have brought him some, but I’m not giving a stray quaggan my coppers.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Living World

Posted by: Stormleaf.1769

Stormleaf.1769

While most people say we didn’t see enough of Belinda to feel sad about her death, that’s actually one of the reasons I found it powerful. I quite liked the glimpses we saw of her character, and her death eliminated any chance of getting to know her even better. It was enough to sadden me, and not just out of empathy for Marjory.

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

If belinda was to die, then there should have been a scene where we see Marjory absolutely POWERLESS to save her and see her slowly die right before her eyes.
It would have been a much more powerful scene then the one we got right now.
Meh~ i guess they have limited budget on cinematics.

After which people would have complained that the game is so focused on Marjory and blah blah forced dialogue.

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

drooburt hurt a lot i was like oh no they killed the drunk quaggon. poor guy now i wish i would have given him some money to drink before he died

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Eh, I wasn’t terribly moved by either death. I was more affected by Kasmeer’s reaction to Jory wanting everyone to soldier on, even though Ms Delaqua herself has left the fight (at least for now).

Both Belinda D and Drooburt appeared long enough on stage for me to see their Red Shirts, but not long enough for me to have any strong feelings about them.

I also think it was perfectly fine that we missed their actual death scenes (something that very few films, never mind video games, handle well).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Drooburt’s death by far, it made me think. Did anyone else notice that he did actually get to buy his drink? It was right there, next to him: an elixir of heroes. Why he didn't drink it for the invulnerability buff, I don't know.

in Living World

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Drooburt’s death by far, it made me think. Did anyone else notice that he did actually get to buy his drink? It was right there, next to him: an elixir of heroes. Why he didn't drink it for the invulnerability buff, I don't know.

his… fingers… were just to chubby and… clumsy…. T-T

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Living World

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

I don’t think you’re supposed to feel sad about Belinda, you’re supposed to feel for Jory’s loss.

As someone who is super close to her sister, I felt Belinda’s death way more than Drooburt’s.

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Sad that Belinda died as now we will see more emo Jory

Angry that Drooburt died because that’s gold down the drain.

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

Sad that Belinda died as now we will see more emo Jory

Jory strikes me more as psycho than emo. She was on the verge of insanity in the Tower of Nightmares and she had no intention of taking Scarlet prisoner but was rather just going to slit her throat and watch her slowly drown in her own blood (which I agree with, but she’s cold as ice.) I think this death is going to make her even more vicious.

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I was more sad at droobert, simply because droobert was a suprise, wherin belinda was an obvious redshirt from the jump.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I was more sad at droobert, simply because droobert was a suprise, wherin belinda was an obvious redshirt from the jump.

Redshirts don’t have unique weapons, they tricksed us!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Living World

Posted by: SimBilly.8047

SimBilly.8047

Drooburt, of course! I don’t know if I’ll ever be the same... *sniffle*...

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Belinda:

Only a little surprised at the timing, but ultimately didn’t care. Read about how it was predicted she’d end up biting it, but hoped that they wouldn’t do that. Got suspicious when the corporal sent her back to Fort Salma, but didn’t think much of it until that place became a target.

And, even if they were really obligated to kill her, it would’ve been a little decent if she went down fighting or helped us defeat the boss, possibly getting mortally wounded in the process.

Having her just suddenly be dead at the end just made me think “Why not just kill her off at the beginning, saddening Marjory greatly at first, then enraging her and boosting her resolve, as well as Kasmeer’s, to fight off the minions and the boss?” (which could’ve been their excuse for them getting superpowered temporarily, due to rage/boosted will to fight)

Drooburt:

Eh…part of me feels sorry for him, another part of me chuckles a little inside (he was alledgedly a drunk begging for change just to get more drunk). Wasn’t too shocked even though I didn’t realize he’d been killed till others pointed it out.

Seems that one of ArenaNet’s ways to show a bad guy/force means business is to kill quaggan(s). Even Trehearne emoted a little at that:

“Undead quaggan! Zhaitan will use anything that falls prey to his servants!”

“Umm, Marshal…Risen have also killed dredge and allegedly skritt too, but we never see Zhaitan use those.”

“You’re missing the point, Commander! Not now!”

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

in Living World

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

Both those characters including Belinda did not get enough time for me to get too attached to them. I feel more emphatic towards Marjory Delaqua loss (like someone else pointed out). Honestly the memorable deaths so far in GW2 have been Agent Tybalt Leftpaw, Magister Sieran, Warmaster Forgal Kernsson, Agent Zott, and Lionguard Apatia. Everything else seems to be a bit too rushed when getting to their deaths which makes it feel more impersonal. Though the symbolism with strangulation due to Mordremoth vines is a very dark conveyance of the dragons true nature. Probably even more powerful then Zhaitan “bring out your dead” methodology.

in Living World

Posted by: Harsekyugan.4672

Harsekyugan.4672

Drooburt was bigger shock for me. I am so sad. Mordemoth killed him. Then stole all his money. Then he was able to pay waypoint fee for all his minions to invade Fort Concordia and Fort Salma.

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Whose death was more impactful? Taimi’s.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

sorry to ruin your sob story, but that elixir was there since the first day of season 2.

drooburt is just a greedy, drunk kitten, he had it coming.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Living World

Posted by: Amphibian Pal Lush.4185

Amphibian Pal Lush.4185

…Belinda’s death was impactful at all?

Wow, I’m so glad that I was able to relate to this character that did literally nothing but give us exposition, gave us no time to even get to know her more or well, and was only made to die so we could feel for an even less interesting character.

How the hell are you people able to feel for this middle school-level of writing?

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

If only she had died. Then again, that might be going too dark for their tastes.

in Living World

Posted by: imbalancedhero.3968

imbalancedhero.3968

Belinda’s death actually has HUGE impact.

I fully expect that we see Marjory again in the next episode she will be bringing her sisters katana sword and be like…

blah blah blah memento from sister
blah blah blah revenge on mordremorth
blah blah blah gives sword to main character

10/10 living story episode make it happen arenanet thx

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

If only she had died. Then again, that might be going too dark for their tastes.

i don’t think they’re even allowed to kill her, she’s a child. she can’t even be depicted in combat, which is why she gets stuck inside that golem during fights.

in Living World

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Drooburt

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

i don’t think they’re even allowed to kill her, she’s a child. she can’t even be depicted in combat, which is why she gets stuck inside that golem during fights.

That’s really what takes the teeth out of any hint of danger she may be facing, knowing this game is rated T . . . and even if it was rated higher, there would be such a fiery backlash for daring to harm a child in your game, ANet of today wouldn’t do it.

. . . the Anet of GW:Prophecies had no problem insinuating Gwen died without outright saying it, though.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Belinda hands down, since she was an actual dutiful Seraph who just happened to be Marjory’s sister. Quaggans are okay, but overrated. Drooburt was just some drunk that tried to make you part with your coins. Storywise I’m way more moved by the death of someone who has actively fought for her people’s survival, as opposed to some freeloader amphibian near a shady bar. :P

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

Really now?

They could always pull a Gory Discretion Shot by having vines snare the golem and crush it/make it explode with her inside, then have one of the others call out, but no answer…then, Rox and Braham try to force open the kittenpit and look inside… and have the horrified/ridiculous expression of their eyes bulging and their mouths left in a " " formation, all the while having the camera focus/zoom on them as they look on in the smoking/crushed control pit (which wouldn’t be shown to us, but we could infer what happened by the characters’ expressions upon seeing it)…

…Wow…..did I just suggest a way to have a progeny die without showing it? Maybe I am evil… Oh well, the chances of them pulling that are almost none anyways.

in Living World

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Really now?

They could always pull a Gory Discretion Shot by having vines snare the golem and crush it/make it explode with her inside, then have one of the others call out, but no answer…then, Rox and Braham try to force open the kittenpit and look inside… and have the horrified/ridiculous expression of their eyes bulging and their mouths left in a " " formation, all the while having the camera focus/zoom on them as they look on in the smoking/crushed control pit (which wouldn’t be shown to us, but we could infer what happened by the characters’ expressions upon seeing it)…

…Wow…..did I just suggest a way to have a progeny die without showing it? Maybe I am evil… Oh well, the chances of them pulling that are almost none anyways.

Yep, too many red flags
- She is a kid
- She is in honor of someone (i forgot who, sorry, not meant to offend)
- She is disabled

That`s three strikes in the No No Zone

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

That’s really what takes the teeth out of any hint of danger she may be facing, knowing this game is rated T . . . and even if it was rated higher, there would be such a fiery backlash for daring to harm a child in your game, ANet of today wouldn’t do it.

. . . the Anet of GW:Prophecies had no problem insinuating Gwen died without outright saying it, though.

she didn’t, though

and as TV Tropes explains, it’s ok for children to die so long as they’re a statistic. gwen “died” alongside everyone else in the searing, so it’s fine. having a cutscene of a rock crushing kid-gwen, though…

in Living World

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I laughed when both died because they were just as boring/annoying as trahearne. Atleast he has an attractive voice though

The only NPC’s I’ve felt bad for is the Kodan in Honor of the Waves, Every quaggan & Tybalt.

in Living World

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

Belinda. Not because she was an interesting character…. but because our hero rushed to the rescue and she died anyway.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

When I saw Drooburt’s corpse in Prosperity, I picked up the fallen Elixir of Heroes bottle next to him and drank it to his memory.

in Living World

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Sometimes I get a feeling the people saying stuff like “that didn’t have any impact on me”, has never actually lost anyone close to them, so they can’t relate to the feelings another (albeit fictional) character may be feeling at the time. Maybe I’m wrong.

PS: Your whole topic title is a major spoiler..

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

in Living World

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

Seriously, none of them leave any impact on me, the most I feel is sympathy for “life” lost (I know they are just virtual characters). I think there is not enough time or information for players to relate or associate themselves with the two guest casts. Ah well…

• back to gamer’s mentality *

BOTH impacted me a lot!!!:

Belinda (Positive) – YESHHH!!! I shall get that sword!!! Gimme gimme gimme gimme

Droobuet (Negative) – NNOoooo!!! My golg!!!!

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in Living World

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

For me personally Drooburt, but that is mainly because my Sylvari has a certain ‘problem’ with beverages that she shared with this cute Quaggan. We had thing to talk about, things in common, and thirsty throats to lubricate. So when he was dangling there so unexpectedly, it was like seeing a good friends lifeless body.

But through that experience I could also understand better what Marjory will be going through, loosing a sister might well be even worse… from now on though I will tell you this, I will have my REVENGE!

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

in Living World

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Drooburt.

I paid that quaggan some coin. I was expecting something in return later.

Now it’s all gone…

A tragedy.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

Drooburt.

I paid that quaggan some coin. I was expecting something in return later.

Now it’s all gone…

A tragedy.

your coin is funding mordy’s waypoint fees.

in Living World

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Drooburt for sure. I actually laughed when I saw that.

Belinda reminded me of a character in a Final Destination flick. I expected her to die in the first chapter, but she surprised me. I began to suspect she might live… then chapter 2 comes along and oh there we go, business as usual.

As for Drooburt, I have a couple guildies who want to tap him with a stick to see if their gold falls out.

(I gave him one copper – I think he’s rewarded me handsomely.)

in Living World

Posted by: Mikal Dynath.6195

Mikal Dynath.6195

Belinda.

Now I don’t have to listen to the god awful “dialogue” between Marjory and Kasmeer.

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

At this point, neither. Not enough emotional investment in either. If we had seen Belinda a few more times, talked to her and formed a connection, it might have worked. Heck, if we could have had a mission with just her and Majorie and bonded, I think that might have helped alot, but she was killed too soon in order to move and give Jory some “development”.

That’s the kind of development I don’t need to see. It shouldn’t be at the cost of her sister to make her invested in a cause she was already invested in. If anything Jory may “attempt” to break up with Kas because she doesn’t want to care enough to lose another person – so maybe we are in for some future angst. Either way, not the way,

in Living World

Posted by: M Steel.2574

M Steel.2574

Neither, but I freaked out for a few seconds when Taimi entered the machine. I didn’t think they’d kill her, but thought it might end with her losing her mind like Scarlet. That for me was the most suspenseful and emotional moment. I’ve grown quite attached to Taimi.

in Living World

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Belinda served a purpose, she got Marjory out of the scene for now, we will see for how long – she is a motivation for Marjory and might be used for the relationship with Kasmeer, bring some tension perhaps or deepen it further, can go both ways really.

Exactly this.
That’s what the death was meant to do. Show us that there’s more to Marjory than her naughty comments towards Kasmeer, and at the same time get her out of the picture ofr a bit.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.