Spoilers Lazarus

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I wonder how does it make sense for him to be balthazar. I know it was a theory but whats the basis behind it?

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Mozed.7510

Mozed.7510

Lot of fire, and the fact that random NPC couldn’t absorb the bloodstone.

He seems… Corrupted, by the way.

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

He has lost his power and want that power back. it seems when the Human Gods left Tyria the ages without a direct connection to Tyria has weakened the Human Gods thus he has returned to reclaim the magical power he has lost.

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Ogwom.7940

Ogwom.7940

I found it odd how “Lazaraus” was using Divine Fire and Divine Blessing whilst he was helping to protect Aurene from the destroyers.
Only the human gods and the Forgotten used divine magic, from what I know lore wise.

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Or then so how do we know hes the real deal? Shouldnt we get blinded when we saw him? Or the fact that needs more magic means his not as divine?

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

But it was Caudecus who set up the replacement artefact. I can’t quite spin how Balthazar then became Lazarus from the ritual. None of the lead in to Balthazar makes any sense, even if the return of the Gods is a great future hook. All felt a tad contrived.

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

But it was Caudecus who set up the replacement artefact. I can’t quite spin how Balthazar then became Lazarus from the ritual. None of the lead in to Balthazar makes any sense, even if the return of the Gods is a great future hook. All felt a tad contrived.

Are you telling me that you don’t think the human gods could have found a way to trick Caedecus at any point?

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Are you telling me that you don’t think the human gods could have found a way to trick Caedecus at any point?

At this stage.. a duck could be a god and we’d be just as confused as the current turns of events.. honestly..

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

The Supreme Leader appeared before the guy resurrecting Lazarus before he resurrected Lazarus.

Balthazar clearly showed up in front of Justiciar Bauer during the ritual, and encouraged it by claiming that Lazarus could be resurrected anyways all for the sake of deceiving the other White Mantle by posing as a Mursaat.

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Not at all, but we would be getting even further into unneccesary convoluted and contrived territory. Why would he trick Caudecus into making him substitute an artefact containing himself so he could pose as a mursaat. Why not just…pose as a mursaat?

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Not at all, but we would be getting even further into unneccesary convoluted and contrived territory. Why would he trick Caudecus into making him substitute an artefact containing himself so he could pose as a mursaat. Why not just…pose as a mursaat?

That’s exactly what he did! He took advantage of the Bloodstone being used in a ritual and intercepted it. Bauer of course knew that Lazarus would not be revived(as far as he knew anyways) but he did know that some Supreme Leader had come to him unexpected with a plan to aid in avenging the Mursaat and bringing “Glory to the Unseen Ones”.

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: The Comfy Chair.7265

The Comfy Chair.7265

Here’s my view on it – this is the beginning of a new story arc that’s going to be explored in the expansion. It’s going to open up a bunch of questions that simply wont be answered just yet. I’m interested to see how it all unravels, especially since it sounds like there’s a schism between the human gods.

Balth may have been talking about dragons, but my first impression is that Balthazar is being shunned and shut down by the other dieties (or at least all but Lyssa) – the gods simply didn’t seem to care all that much about Tyria, and the only reason Balth would be interested now would be because he has been stripped of power, and the death of elder dragons has given him a free buffet. Also, he may be disguised in order to hide himself from other powers (much more powerful than us) in order to regain strength. He had no intention to reveal himself before absorbing that huge amount of dragon magic, after all, and he was in such a weakened state that he couldn’t even kill Majory :P If Balth was at peak strength, she’d be gibbed all over the maguuma.

That would be a super interesting story to explore, and far more interesting to me than ‘dragon killing checklist’. I’m actually not too fussed about ol’ Primordus/Jormag being temporarily shut down, since the prospect of having to kill 4 more dragons in a row just feels a bit dull? The humans gods have always be interesting, so a story about infighting ect. would be really interesting!

(edited by The Comfy Chair.7265)

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

Here’s my view on it – this is the beginning of a new story arc that’s going to be explored in the expansion. It’s going to open up a bunch of questions that simply wont be answered just yet. I’m interested to see how it all unravels, especially since it sounds like there’s a schism between the human gods.

It is a poor begining and a weak foundation. And the most fun thing, it would be way better if there was no Lazarus in the story. It would be a way better if in this episode Balthazar would just pop out of the mists to claim Taimi’s dragon killing machine.

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

I just don’t understand how he had to pretend to be Lazarus he is a human god he could of just had other humans who worship him do his bidding he did not need to pretend to be lazarus to achieve this so really this is kinda lazy writing just like the rest of the story

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Pax.3548

Pax.3548

It seems ppl didn’t get a one simple fact: Balthazar implies that he has lost his shiny and divine powers (the power that made him the almighty god he once was), a third party (we don’t know who yet, maybe its the others gods from the human pantheon, or maybe it was his half brother menzies who finally managed to defeat him and usurp his place as god of war) managed to dethrone him and rob him his powers (much like what grenth did to dhuum).

So, balthazar is in a very weakened state, and there are beings more powerful than mere mortals who would be interested in a weakened god, OF COURSE he would choose to move undercover, and what better cover than lazarus, who was known to be powerful, maybe one of the most powerful mortal beings in the world. The white mantle was trying to revive lazarus, that was a PERFECT chance to come into the world, impersonating someone powerful, worshipped by a strong organization and at the same time have access to one of the five bloodstones in which to regain some of his powers.

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

So, balthazar is in a very weakened state, and there are beings more powerful than mere mortals who would be interested in a weakened god, OF COURSE he would choose to move undercover, and what better cover than lazarus, who was known to be powerful, maybe one of the most powerful mortal beings in the world. The white mantle was trying to revive lazarus, that was a PERFECT chance to come into the world, impersonating someone powerful, worshipped by a strong organization and at the same time have access to one of the five bloodstones in which to regain some of his powers.

First thing, Lazarus was not powerfull before absorbing bloodstone. Mursaat were powerfull spellcasters, but as we seen in GW1, they can be easily killed by anyone who can counter their invisibility and spectral agony.

Second thing, when you disguise into someone, you find a balance between trying to appeal to the most powerfull force out there and being discovered. If you try to imposter as Osama bin Laden you get a bullet in a knee from the terrorists (who know that he is dead for sure) and then a shot to the head from a US sniper (just to be sure if you were Osama). And that is what exactly happened with Balthazar. Had he honestely showed his identity to us in Ep2 in Aurine’s chamber his plan would not be faulted and by this time he would drain two dragons dry and Tiria would be a pile of space litter. The same thing if he revealed his identity to Jennah or disguised as something not untrustworthy (seer, Gleam or Salzman from bookkeeping).

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Pax.3548

Pax.3548

[/quote]First thing, Lazarus was not powerfull before absorbing bloodstone. Mursaat were powerfull spellcasters, but as we seen in GW1, they can be easily killed by anyone who can counter their invisibility and spectral agony.

Second thing, when you disguise into someone, you find a balance between trying to appeal to the most powerfull force out there and being discovered. If you try to imposter as Osama bin Laden you get a bullet in a knee from the terrorists (who know that he is dead for sure) and then a shot to the head from a US sniper (just to be sure if you were Osama). And that is what exactly happened with Balthazar. Had he honestely showed his identity to us in Ep2 in Aurine’s chamber his plan would not be faulted and by this time he would drain two dragons dry and Tiria would be a pile of space litter. The same thing if he revealed his identity to Jennah or disguised as something not untrustworthy (seer, Gleam or Salzman from bookkeeping).[/quote]

As i said, lazarus was among the most powerful MORTAL beings in tyria, and exactly because how he wielded magic, sure he wasn’t almighty but his race was a powerful one, it took the titans invasion to wipe them out, they managed to survive the last dragon awakeing by themselfes, fleeing into the mist (while the other races were saved by glint). Balthazar doesn’t care about tyria, and being a god i don’t think the god of war could be humble enough to call for help, besides he said it himself, he doesn’t care what happen to tyria, so obviously he went undercover because in secret one can move more freely. And i stated the reason why lazarus’s figure would be a perfect disguice, because of his influence among the white mantle which, i remind you, had one of the bloodstone under their control. Don’t make it more complicated than it is, balthazar is weak, he needed a figure he could impersonate so he could move freely on tyria and lazarus was the most useful image to use. Of course all of this thinking is my own you can agree or not but i think its logical what balthazar did (future content will probably reveal his real motives)

Spoilers Lazarus

in Living World

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

I wonder how does it make sense for him to be balthazar. I know it was a theory but whats the basis behind it?

I think you hit the nail on the head as to why some people are backlashing against what had the potential to be a really cool plot twist: it just came so far out of left field that Lazarus could have just as easily been revealed as Palawa Joko, Shiro Tagachi, or Professor Yakkington.

Actually, when the illusion first started to melt away, I thought for sure it was Vizier Khelbron (the Lich Lord from GW1: Prophecies). And in those few seconds, my mind started excitedly racing through several possibilities as to why and how he came back — and they all made sense (at least as much sense as a theory developed in 2.5 seconds can make). Then Kazmeer shouted “Balthazar!”, and my reaction changed to “Wh… wait… huh???”

There’s plot twists… and then there’s pulling the handbrake and power sliding the plot 270 degrees in another direction then racing off into the middle of a cornfield while screaming “bet ya didn’t see that one coming!”