Story mission combat designed as raids?

in Living World

Posted by: etsubmariner.4690

etsubmariner.4690

If the missions are built by coders in your business that normally design for raids, please move them back to raid design and get story-tellers and general PvE designers in there. Some of these are clearly raid or fractal design “copies” or similar. Stop that practice please.

Sorry, as for those storytellers, could we get more adult dialogue instead of this tween stuff? Taimi is the only cool character. The rest often don’t even fight inside those overly convoluted, overly long story mission combat missions, but do they love to talk! Tween talk till you die. Ughhhhh!

in Living World

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Pls no. Some of these encounters are with powerful characters lore wise anything less that a fight that can keep you awake for its entirety is simply unacceptable.

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Taimi the child is the only one with adult dialogue? Interesting idea, but doesn’t seem to be born out by the actual dialogue.

NPCs don’t fight much during story instances by design — ANet’s decided that we should do the bulk of the fighting, that the NPCs are there for the story, not the challenge.

And finally, what exactly do you mean by story missions being build like raids? Everything we know about raid & story encounters shows very little overlap. You’ll have to be more specific about which story and which mechanics.

I certainly am not a fan of some elements of some of the stories, but I can’t see any that are similar to raids.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Animism.6849

Animism.6849

Taimi the child is the only one with adult dialogue? Interesting idea, but doesn’t seem to be born out by the actual dialogue.

NPCs don’t fight much during story instances by design — ANet’s decided that we should do the bulk of the fighting, that the NPCs are there for the story, not the challenge.

And finally, what exactly do you mean by story missions being build like raids? Everything we know about raid & story encounters shows very little overlap. You’ll have to be more specific about which story and which mechanics.

I certainly am not a fan of some elements of some of the stories, but I can’t see any that are similar to raids.

He obviously means in regards to LS3 raid-style environmental and boss mechanics. Bloodstone shards, pattern puzzles, etc.
I somewhat agree with him; but deviate in that the whole process was pretty much done by the player, whilst it could have just been made simpler by having the NPC’s participate. It doesn’t detract from the experience, and would ease anyone frustrated by it.

I do agree in the other sense though – the bosses have to have some special element to them beyond the normal measures, or it would feel cheap and easy.

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Raid team is fully separate from the three Living World, Fractal, and Expansion (there is also a PvP team, a WvW team, and a Festivals team (who handled Current Events too)). While the teams communicate, they do not – as far as we know – ever overlap.

ArenaNet had long realized that they made the core game too easy. Players clamored for more challenging content, and hated the NPCs who died instantly. Their solution was to up the difficulty a bit (and yeah, it’s only a bit – this stuff is still way too easy, only when you’re going after achievements is any of it close to hard) and to make the NPCs immortal but lower their damage output so that players don’t have to constantly revive them but they cannot carry players either.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Some of these are clearly raid or fractal design “copies” or similar. Stop that practice please.

The story team and the raid team are separate.
The story is for one person. Raids and Fractals are for groups of players. Low tier fractals can be finished solo easily, but it is still group-based content.