What is Marjory afraid of? [Spoilerish]

in Living World

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

When Kas said that she was going to go with Jory to see Momma, Jory was mortified. What is she scared of, why wouldn’t she let Kas come with her?

Discuss…

in Living World

Posted by: Spiderwick.1879

Spiderwick.1879

Momma doesnt know she’s a lesbian? Conservative parents?

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Momma doesn’t know she’s not getting grandkids yet …

No honestly, I did not feel that she was scared, she just wanted to be alone.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Living World

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I dont think she’s lesbian. I think she’s a trisexual, you know, will try anything. Reason being? She freakin flirts with every single person she talks to, regardless of gender or race.

In other words, she is VERY open minded.

Kas on the other hand, we don’t know how choosy she is, she only flirted with marjory, so maybe SHE is lesbian.

in Living World

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

If I remember correctly there was some dialogue between Jory and the PC in episode 1 about this matter. It seems momma Delaqua has some serious issues with nobility.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I also don’t get the impression that Jory is “afraid” per se. I do get the distinct impression that introducing her female lover to her mother in addition to breaking the news that her sister is dead is not something she wants to do all in one go. More of a ‘lets deal with one issue at a time’ thing.

While it did seem that Belinda knew, and was ok with, Jory being a lesbian, somehow I don’t think ‘Momma’ is in the same boat. That’s just the overall feeling I’ve gotten thus far. Which, if that’s the case, that’s going to be an issue all on its own.

Above and beyond that, Jory (I think) just needs some space to grieve. Not uncommon in the real world. Some people are ‘public’ grievers, they prefer to be in the company of others, while some are not. Jory strikes me as one that simply prefers to grieve on her own, come to terms with it the pain, and then carry on. As a necromancer, she should be well acquainted with the ‘mortal condition,’ doesn’t necessarily make it any easier though.

If I remember correctly there was some dialogue between Jory and the PC in episode 1 about this matter. It seems momma Delaqua has some serious issues with nobility.

I think I missed that. Gonna have to go back and poke around.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I dont think she’s lesbian. I think she’s a trisexual, you know, will try anything. Reason being? She freakin flirts with every single person she talks to, regardless of gender or race.

In other words, she is VERY open minded.

Kas on the other hand, we don’t know how choosy she is, she only flirted with marjory, so maybe SHE is lesbian.

inb4 Rytlock & Jory romance

in Living World

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

I think it would be very mature of Anet to introduce a storyline where the mother has to learn to accept that her daughter is gay.

I mean, so many videogames proclaim to include gay characters just for the sake of including them, but none have really tried to tackle the real world issues of conservative parents vs their gay children, and the sometimes very real anguish that develops. Not even Bioware has the balls to do this.

Will anet tackle this issue via a good “Acceptance” storyline?
Probably not, but it would be very gutsy of them to try.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

To be fair there are people like that in the real world. They are flirty with everyone, but yet have no interest in the vast majority of them. That is simply how their personality works.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: syxx.7893

syxx.7893

Jory is a necro, what if she…. reanimates the body!!!! Mwhahahaha

in Living World

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Well, Marjory did rather spell it out: she’s going to lose control if Kasmeer tries to comfort her, which she knows will happen even if she tells her not to, and she needs to stay in control to arrange for Belinda’s body to be sent back home, to arrange for the funeral, and to break the news to her family.

She just sent Kasmeer away so the strong front she’s putting up won’t break prematurely.

in Living World

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If Jory’s mom is homophobic, Anet would have to resolve it in a single conversation. You can’t leave that hanging over a couple or several episodes, otherwise Anet would appear to be writing anti-gay hate speech with no immediately visible resolution. Could be terrible PR if taken out of context.

Personally I think Jory’s family has a problem with privileged nobility and the gay thing is a non-issue. It might even be personal, like Kasmeer’s brother did something horrible to one of Jory’s sisters when he was drunkenly gambling.

in Living World

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

To be fair there are people like that in the real world. They are flirty with everyone, but yet have no interest in the vast majority of them. That is simply how their personality works.

True enough.

in Living World

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

Now that you mention it, I remember this. That makes more sense than the other explanations….

in Living World

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

I mused that Jory wanted to animate her sister to get some answers out of her post-mortem or something like that. Which, for reasons, might seem a bit creepy to everyone involved.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

in Living World

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Now that you mention it, I remember this. That makes more sense than the other explanations….

Kas and Jory’s relationship is a problem because of Kasmeer’s family background. Likely Marjory’s mother had been personally wronged by nobility in the past and it has the her harboring some anger about it.
In the last 25 years, plants have started walking about and talking about peace and everyone has been okay with that.
Humans battled Charr bitterly and now they have their issues, but at least can respect each other.
Getting issues in our world confused with Tyria. It happens.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

That is actually interesting if u think about it. She keeps her zombie sister hidden from others so that no one knows what terrible thing she did (instead of letting her go in peace and other bla bla’s). Then all of a sudden people find out bla bla blaaa… Would make for an interesting twist in her personal story

….because aparently everything in this game has a more character and story behind it compared to your own character……even the skrit.

in Living World

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

She probably wants to be alone because she’s has the intention of performing some forbidden resurrection spell that necromances should not be even attempting. They just reanimate the corpse and put the soul back in there kind of stitched to the body forcefully. The kind of stuff that would really, really kitten off Dhuum and none of the current Gods except maybe Dwayna would really like to see. Resurrections no longer wok for a reason!

The ritual is dangerous to both Belinda’s soul and Marjory’s soul and body, so Kasmeer would not approve. But Marjory blames herself, so she’s determined to ‘fix’ it.

Next time we know it, we get a message fro E telling us that Belinda’s soul was not the one that ended up in the body, and that the ritual opened a direct two-way path to the underworld, and we have to take a detour to recover Belinda’s body, destroy the entity that possessed it, rescue Marjory and several other Tyrians before they ends up possesed too, and seal the Underworld portal, all while fighting countless armies of demons, spirits and nightmares.

That, or she doesn’t want Kasmeer to see her moaning and crying and mourning and maybe even fighting with her family.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Full Metal Alchemist plot twist

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

A good theory on reddit stated that those NPC’s consumed by vines aren’t really dead.

Well, they are physically and mentally dead, but they are now infested and will become minions of Mord.

So perhaps Jory is afraid that Belinda will become Infested Belinda.

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

But Jory was too late, she is now infected too … and we didn’t see it … now Kasmeer is infected … only we (the PCs) are immune because we went into the machine that messed with our head … we have to do what we have to do … we have to slay them all ourselves, make it quick, not let them suffer, it’s a mercy … grab Belindas sword, kill Dragon … wait for intro of C-iconics.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

You are correct, here is the dialogue in question (you only get this if you are a human noble).

Belinda “You better not forget a single detail. And watch out for Marjie, okay? Don’t tell my other sisters, but she’s always been my favorite.”

You “One day, I hope to meet the rest of your family.”

Belinda “Maybe. My family isn’t the friendliest towards nobles. It’s nothing personal, I assure you. But.. my mother… she’s still holding onto a very old grudge.”

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Resurrections no longer wok for a reason!

That, or she doesn’t want Kasmeer to see her moaning and crying and mourning and maybe even fighting with her family.

A: They actually ARE possible and work. It’s just become forgotton HOW to do it and/or it’s much more difficult these days.

B: Or Marjory would rather not bring home her dead sister (To a Mother who worries about her a lot), and her NOBLE friend (While her mother hates nobles).

in Living World

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

While I’m all for character development, fleshing them out, providing backstories, etc., I would prefer they not begin spending any significant amount of time turning episodes into family melodramas … regardless of the reason Jory may have not wanted Kas around, it could be confined to a blurb or two of dialogue and left at that. Or for any of the other DE 2.0 peepz, for that matter. Otherwise we run the risk of this turning into a Lifetime series:

Jory’s mom flipping out that her daughter’s not only a lesbian, but is getting frisky with the upper-class when momma’s nothin’ but po’ white trailer trash, then it will be all about how Braham never got enough attention from Mom when he was a child and needs art-therapy to get through his abandonment issues, Rox, of course, just always wanted to “fit in” or something like that, but she wanted to be a dentist when all the other Charr were steady making toys, Taimi gets a Tiny Tim moment with a “God bless us everyone” before she succumbs to some horribly degenerative and terminal disease, and then last, but not least, it’s revealed that Kas isn’t really a lesbian at all — she’s under the impression Jory’s family has a fortune hidden away somewhere and is trying to figure out how to get her hands on it to restore her own family’s name, so she’s just been seducing Jory.

I know references to GW1 aren’t always relevant and/or appreciated, but Jora, Ogden, Vekk, Lydia — all of those chars had depth to them, without it becoming melodramatic, and was included in such a way that it didn’t truly intrude on the main story. Like the whole Vekk/Gadd bit (even if it was kinda Dr Jones Sr/Indiana Jones’ish) — it was incorporated within the overall story, but never became the story.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I really don’t think Momma will have an issue with Jory’s sexuality beyond “but I want grandkids.” Assuming the writers pay attention to established lore, anyway, sigh. In Tyria there simply isn’t the stigma that many modern Earth inhabitants assign to homosexuality.

So it could be due to the noble issue, or because Jory knows how much raw emotion and reaction there is going to be, or simply that the writers needed to split up the team for a bit.

in Living World

Posted by: Clonk.8403

Clonk.8403

Marjory just lost her sister and has to make preparations for bringing her back and break the bad news to her mother. I`d say she has enough on her plate already. She acts like the responsible one in this scene and is able to talk Kasmeer down. Perhaps she has her reasons for not wanting her there, with the whole nobility thing and all, but she really doesn`t need to deal with that right now. Hence why she ships Kasmeer off to Dry Top at the moment.

Kasmeer on the other hand acts like the overly-protective “mother-hen” she has been since the start of Season 2. As already mentioned above, its perhaps Jory`s way of dealing with grief and loss, and some people prefer to do it on their own. I`m sure Kasmeer would shatter like glass if something were to happen to Jory, but right now she reminds me a bit of Logan and his obsession with keeping Queen Jennah safe at the expense of everything else apparently.

in Living World

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

That is actually interesting if u think about it. She keeps her zombie sister hidden from others so that no one knows what terrible thing she did (instead of letting her go in peace and other bla bla’s). Then all of a sudden people find out bla bla blaaa… Would make for an interesting twist in her personal story

….because aparently everything in this game has a more character and story behind it compared to your own character……even the skrit.

Then make your character interesting and give them a backstory and personality. Or is that possible for people to do without game developers spoon feeding us every little detail about our character.
‘Imagination? Whas dat? I just want to kill stuff and be cooler then everyone else!’ :p

Back on topic…
I am more inclined to believe that Jory just doesn’t want to deal with more then one thing at a time. Her sister just died. That’s a pretty big thing for a family to have to go through.
Why add further tension to to the situation by bringing home your Noble lover at the same time?

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

in Living World

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I think it would be very mature of Anet to introduce a storyline where the mother has to learn to accept that her daughter is gay.

I mean, so many videogames proclaim to include gay characters just for the sake of including them, but none have really tried to tackle the real world issues of conservative parents vs their gay children, and the sometimes very real anguish that develops. Not even Bioware has the balls to do this.

I think that would cross the line. It’s fine if they hint at it or mention it in passing, but having that be a storyline is just shoving gay acceptance down your throat and reeks of pandering when it has no relation to the story.

in Living World

Posted by: M Steel.2574

M Steel.2574

I really don’t think Momma will have an issue with Jory’s sexuality beyond “but I want grandkids.” Assuming the writers pay attention to established lore, anyway, sigh. In Tyria there simply isn’t the stigma that many modern Earth inhabitants assign to homosexuality.

So it could be due to the noble issue, or because Jory knows how much raw emotion and reaction there is going to be, or simply that the writers needed to split up the team for a bit.

I agree. Given that we haven’t seen any homophobic sentiment in the game so far, it would be weird for Marjory’s mom to object to Kasmeer because she is a woman. It is far more likely that Marjory’s mom will object because Kasmeer is a noble, especially since Belinda didn’t skip a beat when meeting Majory’s girlfriend, but felt the need to point out that Kasmeer was a noble several times. I’m curious to know what exactly Marjory’s family has against the nobles, but I agree that it shouldn’t be the center of attention.

in Living World

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

So many people focusing on the lesbian aspect of the relationship. Personally I think something is up, but has nothing to do with that. Belinda was also nice, but distant with Kas. I think it has to do with Kas’ background in nobility. Not exactly sure of the details, but I’m convinced it is that more than anything. Something is up and Jory is afraid of what would happen if her family and/or Kas found out.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Living World

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Simple….
Marjory’s mother hates Noble people with a passion as it was mentioned back in Season 1 and with Kasmeer being a former Noble person Marjory’s mother already heats her. If she were to appear along side the news of Marjory’s sister death her mother will most like lose it and blame Kasmeer and who bunch of drama will follow with Marjory’s mother hatred towards Nobles.

in Living World

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

A: They actually ARE possible and work. It’s just become forgotton HOW to do it and/or it’s much more difficult these days.

[…]

Nah. Resurrection skills stopped working. Baelfire had to perform a really long and complicated resurrection ritual to resurrect himself.

250 years ago, you could just pop a resurrection signet and that was it.

But those no longer work.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Living World

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I agree that the “coming out” scenario would be pretty cliched writing. There’s only a handful of ways that will turn out, and all of them are pretty predictable.

The noble angle has a lot of plot bunnies, and I definitely think that would be a more interesting read. Kas’s identity as a noble (or former noble) has far more weight than the gender of her lover. There has been little to no ado made about it since their introduction, and I doubt there’s any reason to make a big deal out of it now.

Now Rox/Brahm will bring up some interesting cross-species interactions…

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

What I took from that scene was something along the lines of “I want to shoulder this myself, this is a personal and family matter, but when I am ready to let you in.”

I’ve also noticed that Jory has always made it a point to tell Belinda to talk to their mother for her. Meaning that she didn’t WANT to go talk to momma by herself or see her. There may have been some bad blood split between her and her mother which was why Belinda was their go-between. Now that the go-between is gone and Jory has to go face her… that’s going to be awkward in the best of times, but now with Belinda’s death, who knows what’s going to happen.

I would think that these two have been in a relationship long enough that Jory should have at least been upfront if Kas’s nobility status would have been an issue though.

in Living World

Kalavier.1097

[…]

[…]

Nah. Resurrection skills stopped working. Baelfire had to perform a really long and complicated resurrection ritual to resurrect himself.

250 years ago, you could just pop a resurrection signet and that was it.

But those no longer work.

And what says his long and complicated ritual wasn’t the modern flame legion form of res chant from gw1?

Besides, I doubt it was as easy as “Popping a res signet”, though we know it was something almost all monks could cast. It’s just in GW2 that magic is harder to pull off or forgotton, I’ve not once seen anything that says “Those spells don’t work period”.

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I haven’t noticed anyone say it yet (it might’ve been; if so, I’m sorry), but Momma Delaqua is very insular. Both Belinda and Marjory have said she doesn’t like “outsiders” (whatever that means), and that includes even Kasmeer. Why is she so xenophobic? If the Delaquas are Canthan as I suspect, does that mean she doesn’t like non-Canthans, or just those who aren’t “family”? The next chapter will tell…

in Living World

Kalavier.1097

The friendliest human response was fellow commoners I think, with street-rats getting a “She doesn’t like strangers…” response.

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

The noble angle has a lot of plot bunnies, and I definitely think that would be a more interesting read. Kas’s identity as a noble (or former noble) has far more weight than the gender of her lover. There has been little to no ado made about it since their introduction, and I doubt there’s any reason to make a big deal out of it now.

Actually Kas’ former noble status has been bought up quite a lot. It was mentioned in the Aftermarth to season one where Marjory made a point to tell Belinda that Kas was “one of us now” and no longer a noble. Then it was mentioned again in the first part of living story season 2 so it’s obviously an issue for their mother. The question is, why?

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

You should check out Gone Home, it’s entire story revolves around that.