Alternative option to an SSD?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Razorize.7984

Razorize.7984

Hi forums,

I played GW2 for about 6 months on a different laptop. Now coming back to GW2 after a short break im having issues with it. I got a new laptop, and im experiencing load times of over 5 min whenever entering ANY zone, andn sudden screen freezez.

After a bit of research i found that moving GW2 to kitten would help, but unfortunately my lappy has only a HDD and i cannot upgrade to kitten because it is wayyyy to expensive here. I really dont think its worth spending SO much money on kitten.

I wanted to know is there some other option besides upgrading to kitten that can fix this issue. I really want to play GW2 but the load times restrict me as every dungeon i go to my entire team has to wait 4-5 min just for me EVERY time.

I play a few other games that are bigger and heavier than GW2 size/graphics vise but non of them show this kinds of behavior of hanging or having lots of load times.

Below is this specs of my lappy. Could anyone suggest an alternative to buying kitten.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
System Type: x64-based PC
RAM: 8.00 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon R5 M335

Thank You

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I somewhat doubt it is the HDD causing the long load times for you.
My laptop has a regular HDD and load times are never longer than 2-3 minutes, which isn’t a problem.

Your CPU only has 2 cores, which might be causing a bottleneck and slow load times.
Hopefully someone else will have a little more insight.

Posted by: Strages.2950

Strages.2950

I used to get this a lot, I actually used to get stuck in loading screens as well. Repairing the game file might work.

Just need to add the command to the shortcut path: -repair
You can find more info on that here: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28148006-Repairing-the-Game-Client

Do it once, then take it off and replace it with -maploadinfo

You can keep that one there, it will show you the map load process, and the elapsed time, etc.

Hope that helps!

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’ve only ever used a HDD. Load times are have never been that long. On the other hand I am not using windows 10.

Posted by: Strages.2950

Strages.2950

I’ve only ever used a HDD. Load times are have never been that long. On the other hand I am not using windows 10.

I’m using Win 10, 64-bit client and HDD.

Seriously load times should not be more than 2 minutes TOPS. Usually between 30 secs and 90 secs, even for LA.

Posted by: Razorize.7984

Razorize.7984

ok so after fiddling a bit here n there with all the suggestions that i got on this thread (thanks to them) ive managed to reduce my load times to about around 1 min, which is a big improvement.

But despite that i have not been able to fix the screen freeze issue at all. Rather i feel the screen freeze has gotten worse.

Every and yes i mean every 20-25 min into playing the screen freezes for a good 20-30 sec before becoming perfectly fine. I mean on regular playing i get over 45FPS + and my setting are on auto detect.

I think maybe there is some issue with this new patch? that is making all the happen? because i do not EVER see this kind of behavior in any other game at all, and i mean any.

Anyways thanks to everyone who helped

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

A usb 3 port and a flash drive will give similar results as a Solid state Drive. I run it that way on my desktop computer and it does speed up loading times. I have never had the issues of so slow loading you are talking about however.
As to the freezing when my old graphics card was overheating it would do similar things, just not as often as you describe.