Am new to GW2. Please help!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: holyflea.4283

holyflea.4283

Hey everyone.

Have never played gw2 before. I bought the standard expansion pack to Heart of thrones.

My question, should I start with a level one character and play all the way through to get the full experience or should I start with the boosted level 80 character?

Thanks!

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Lvl up your first character normally to get that full game experience, big part of gw2 is exploration and the journey to max lvl, plus u get to learn about the game and your class progressively with tips etc. i’d save your lvl 80 boost for for an alt once you feel comfortable with the game.
Have fun and welcome to gw2

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

I recommend leveling to about 40 or so. You generally have a good feel for the game by then. Boost it to 80 for the customization options without having to slog through. You’ll always scale down to the map’s level anyways so none of the areas will feel too effortless. That goes for the story too, if you’re into all that poor writing and all.

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

+1 to leveling up your first character the old fashioned way.

If you use your 80 boost now, you’ll get overwhelmed with a ton of features and UI elements that become slowly relevant if you level up the normal way.

Not to mention, you get a reward chest for every level up, which you can only open one at a time and contains stuff relevant to that level. If you use it now, you’ll have to go through the process 80 times and your inventory space will clog up fast.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Hey everyone.

Have never played gw2 before. I bought the standard expansion pack to Heart of thrones.

My question, should I start with a level one character and play all the way through to get the full experience or should I start with the boosted level 80 character?

Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to GW2!

It’s your call to make, but HoT can be quite challenging even for some veteran players learning a new class. Most players advise leveling up normally the first time around to avoid frustration.

Having said that, the boost is a risk-free trial. You can boost a character, decide you don’t like it, and revert the boost as many times as you like. The item is only consumed once you confirm your choice to permanently boost to 80.

So, feel free to boost a character and play around in the silver wastes. SW isn’t part of HoT, but the enemies you’ll encounter there tend to be a good intermediary between the relatively easy core Tyria content and the tougher HoT maps.

Also, the boost gives you soldier’s gear (power/vitality/toughness), which gives you very high armor and health. You won’t take down enemies quickly with this gear, but it should give you some room to breathe while you try your new class out.

If things don’t go well, don’t be discouraged. GW2’s combat system relies on a lot of very short-term, active avoidance. This stuff takes some practice to learn.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Yes, leave the 80 boost until later. Learn the game’s systems, the profession’s mechanics, the various critter’s AI. And when you feel comfortable that you know what you’re doing then consider if you want to use the boost.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I just want to say. salvage all the gear you found but do not need.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Hey everyone.

Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to GW2!

It’s your call to make, but HoT can be quite challenging even for some veteran players learning a new class. Most players advise leveling up normally the first time around to avoid frustration.

Having said that, the boost is a risk-free trial. You can boost a character, decide you don’t like it, and revert the boost as many times as you like. The item is only consumed once you confirm your choice to permanently boost to 80.

So, feel free to boost a character and play around in the silver wastes. SW isn’t part of HoT, but the enemies you’ll encounter there tend to be a good intermediary between the relatively easy core Tyria content and the tougher HoT maps.

Also, the boost gives you soldier’s gear (power/vitality/toughness), which gives you very high armor and health. You won’t take down enemies quickly with this gear, but it should give you some room to breathe while you try your new class out.

If things don’t go well, don’t be discouraged. GW2’s combat system relies on a lot of very short-term, active avoidance. This stuff takes some practice to learn.

You don’t always get soldier gear. Pretty sure my necromancer got rabid gear.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

+1 to leveling up your first character the old fashioned way.

If you use your 80 boost now, you’ll get overwhelmed with a ton of features and UI elements that become slowly relevant if you level up the normal way.

Not to mention, you get a reward chest for every level up, which you can only open one at a time and contains stuff relevant to that level. If you use it now, you’ll have to go through the process 80 times and your inventory space will clog up fast.

One would not receive level-up rewards when using a L80 Boost. One receives a different reward package.

OP: I would suggest leveling up naturally one or two characters. Also, the Wiki can provide information on all things Guild Wars 2. It is accessed via the link above, or, in-game, by typing ‘/Wiki (topic of choice)’.

You can find some (perhaps, outdated) tips in the Sticky in the Players Helping Players sub-forum, as well.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Lvl up your first character normally to get that full game experience, big part of gw2 is exploration and the journey to max lvl, plus u get to learn about the game and your class progressively with tips etc. i’d save your lvl 80 boost for for an alt once you feel comfortable with the game.
Have fun and welcome to gw2

Completely agree with this.

You can easily be L80 by the time the next expansion comes and be able to experience the new content with everyone else.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Hey everyone.

Thanks!

Honestly I leveled a few characters and do not regret it. Save the boost for a character that is squishy or someone who is a slow traveler and not as fun to play. However I had a blast leveling guardian even though it was slow.

Don’t torture yourself doing the personal story over and over either it’s not half as good as the rest of the games story. But there are rewards for finishing it.

Posted by: holyflea.4283

holyflea.4283

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! Will go the distance and level up normally.

I am a level 6 charr warrior right now. I must say wow! I am so confused about all the different options dynamics to this game. (am a simple diablo 3 player). I will have to learn everything slowly but surely.

Had another question maybe some of you could help me out with. I was wondering if I could somehow switch my weapon attack 1 somehow to my left mouse button? I was trying in game options but it would only allow keyboard inputs.

It has been difficult for me to adapt to have to reach up to my “1” key every time I want to engage (I know about auto attack, but I would like to go manual). So again, is there anyway I can just simply set my main attack to my left mouse button?

Thanks!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think the ‘Action Camera’ option allows that. But, I don’t like using ‘Action Camera’ for everything, and there is no possible way I could use the keyboard for movement, so it’s no problem to use the 1 key for a skill. ‘Action Camera’ may be great for you, as you are just learning to play the game, though.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! Will go the distance and level up normally.

I am a level 6 charr warrior right now. I must say wow! I am so confused about all the different options dynamics to this game. (am a simple diablo 3 player). I will have to learn everything slowly but surely.

Had another question maybe some of you could help me out with. I was wondering if I could somehow switch my weapon attack 1 somehow to my left mouse button? I was trying in game options but it would only allow keyboard inputs.

It has been difficult for me to adapt to have to reach up to my “1” key every time I want to engage (I know about auto attack, but I would like to go manual). So again, is there anyway I can just simply set my main attack to my left mouse button?

Thanks!

You can bind any of your skills to mouse buttons. You just can’t bind them to right or left click. If your mouse has additional buttons, you can use those as inputs.

If you’re unfamiliar with this type of control scheme, a few tips:

- Use ESDF rather than WASD.

- Unbind turn left/right and bind strafe left/right in their place.

- Use the keys you freed up to change your 6-0 skills to keys you can actually reach without lifting your hand from your movement keys.

- Remove double-tap to dodge. Replace with an input you feel very comfortable with (I use a mouse button for this).