Any consistent way to make gold solo?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Smaisteri.9630

Smaisteri.9630

Is there any reliable way to make gold solo? I don’t mean completely solo, I can do world bosses and events etc. I just don’t want to have a dedicated party of players, I’d like to jump in and out of the game on my own pace and make gold along the way.

So that kind of throws Fractals and dungeons out of the question. I have tried doing world bosses but nothing of value higher than 50 silver has ever dropped for me. I also guess jumping puzzles cannot drop anything good at all no matter your luck. Gathering does not make gold. Everything I can buy with map specific currency from vendors is account bound. Silverwastes farming makes 2g/hour at best and it is not very fun.

So what do people do to make gold in this game? I could stay one hour longer at work, buy gems with € and get as much gold as I get from a full month of HC playing day and night. But that seems and feels like it would just defeat the purpose of playing the game.

I get that there are some gold making guides out there but most of them don’t say anything about solo play, or they are extremely outdated. Anything that doesn’t involve grinding or staring at the TP for hours would be nice.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I could stay one hour longer at work, buy gems with € and get as much gold as I get from a full month of HC playing day and night. But that seems and feels like it would just defeat the purpose of playing the game.

Then do it. No, it doesnt defeat the purpose of the game. The purpose is to have fun while playing with friends (or if you like solo, lets call them imaginary friends). You clearly doesnt seem to think gold farming is that much fun. So dont do that.

There is no aspect of the game that require the gold farm anyway, especially not since the 2g daily was introduced.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

you could convert laurels into heavy crafting bags and sell everything from them. that can net quite a chunk of gold each month without having to really do anything unfun.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

I just don’t want to have a dedicated party of players, I’d like to jump in and out of the game on my own pace and make gold along the way.

I am walking that path for nearly four years now. While I am sure not bathing in gold, I have my personal level of 160g permanently and enough money for smaller projects. Even managed to get a full ascended armor/weaponset within half a year.

First of all I do 3 dailies of my own choice, most of the time I try to to WvWvW-Dailies as well. Once in a while there is Big Spender in the dailies, which allows me to trade my tokens + some short money for cultural armors. That way I can easily enlarge my wardrobe without spending too much gold for skins. After the dailies are done, I have my 2g. Some days it is my only loot ^^.

After the dailies I farm my home instance. I always try to get all nodes I can reach, without visiting TP.

I am a huge fan of jumping puzzles, when I am not too tired, I do at least 10 per day ^^. About two years ago I decided to get some extra loot out of my hobby, so I created a “Treasure Hunter.” It is a thief asura which I only leveled with mapping and reaching waypoints to access chests/JPs. That asura has a level of 28-35, so I get a silver doubloon once in a while. Those sell for 1.4-1.8 g, which is a nice bonus sometimes. However it relies on our dear RNG. Key message here is, find something you like to do in the game and find a way to gain money out of it.

Sometimes I do join a dungeon run or a fractal run, but it is a single run and not a full run. And dungeons, usually story modes. I also do worldbosses, and meta events in bigger maps, depends on my mood and motivation. Out of those I get a lot of blue/green gear, which I salavage into materials and refine. The lootbags I collect and open with my two bag openers. One is my treasure hunter (level 30) and my old treasure hunter (level 50). They open my loot bags and grant me access to other material tiers.

At the moment I refine my materials once per week and see if I can craft a piece of ascended crafting material. Those are still quite expensive and sell for 6-10g each, which is a nice bonus.

When I get an exotic drop, I usually use my BL kits. When I get an Inscription/Insignia I either use it to level my craft-professions 400=>500 or, since I am done with that, I sell them for usually 1-3g, again some bonus loot. Sometimes I get a very pricy rune out of those, which gives additional money.

All my sigils and runes land in a special bank-tab. Once the tab is nearly full and I have stacks of 8-10 of most items, I wait for the mistic forger to appear on the dailies. Then I take my package and gamble at the forge. Most of the time I get trash, but sometimes I get expensive runes/sigils or doubloons, which can be sold for good money ^^.

I also hoard a lot of materials. Hoarding means max 5 stacks of refined materials and max 2 stacks of original materials. Compared to the “play the market”-gurus I am an infidel and a peasant. And stuff I think could be useful some day. I am using my intuition, no black magic or leaks. For example every lunar year event I buy like 5 rare backpieces. I either give them to friends or use them to make good money. Food and buff-items are also collected in stacks. It is a gamble which can be lost. I am still sitting on 8 stacks of scrarlet toop slayer potions XD.

The new maps, ember bay and bitterfrost frontier supply me with nearly infinite karma. So I travel the psna daily and get the mapping reward items. Sometimes the npc-vendors have quite rare recipes to offer. For example yesterday one sold the recipe for the superior sigil of torment, 25k karma. Sounds much, but the recipe is over 7g on TP, so it was a good trade. It is worth to doublecheck every vendor before buying the mapping reward items brain-afk. Anyway I usually wait for the map items till blood-week arrives in FGS. Then I use them all there and get a nice load of T6 blood, giant eyes and other expensive items. Sometimes I do not wait for bloodweek. If I have a project running and need some certain materials, I just wait for a map to have those materials on the list ^^.

At last I have to admit that I do buy gemcards from my money I earn in RL, 2-4 per year. It is a wonderful game and I enjoy it for 4+ years by now. We get so many updates for free. There is no monthly fee to pay … and some people still complain that they paid too much for the game itself >_>. What I use my gemcards for? Convenience and Fashion ^^.

tl&dr; It is possible. The gap between between you and a farmer is huge. But that does not mean you are poor. Just use your head ^^. sorry for the long answer

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Never feel bad about buying gem cards. I buy them and also ask for them as gifts for birthdays and special occasions. They are super handy and a great idea for folk who do not know what present to get you.

What HnRkLnXqZ.1870 says is very true and well said. It took me a while to start making gold as I was leveling crafting and just amassing mats. Once I got crafting maxed I felt I was finally started making some gold. When working on my crafting levels I did look to see what was selling and if I had the mats to do it I made and sold stuff which helped defray a bit of the cost of crafting. I don’t think it is profitable to do just to make money though unless it is ascended materials.

I look at the map bonus rewards and go for the ones I need until I am maxed out and then start selling the excess that I don’t need. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward Make sure if you belong to a guild that you have map reward boosts going and find the Pact Supply Network Agents every day and purchase the Pact Mapping Materials as it will go a lot faster. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pact_Supply_Network_Agent
They also sell some special recipes that can earn a bit of money if you have the materials to make them. I will keep stacks of something if I decide I want to craft something like a legendary though. (elderwood and mithril come to mind…) Also I pretty much salvage everything and sell the mats vs trying to sell items unless they have a good value. Mystic Salvage kits are the best thing going too and cheap to make.

I know Silverwastes is a good spot to accumulate stuff to either sell or convert to mats to sell. I like Malchor for harvesting mats and Cursed Shore events as a ‘lootstick’ guardian can reap mightily. If you can find event trains on maps with good rewards you can go around until diminishing returns hit and bring an alt in to continue until you get enough of what you want. Also hit up maps that show up for dailies and run the events for stuff and harvest as you go in between. It all adds up.

Try to keep things fresh so you don’t feel like grinding. Do what you want to do when you feel like it and the money will come. I never keep track of what I am making. I just do the things & events I like doing, harvest as I go, kill everything because you get a lot of drops that way, save or sell mats depending on any plans I have and I have found it does add up.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

So that kind of throws Fractals and dungeons out of the question

That really shouldn’t keep you out of doing Fractals/dungeons; you can always just pug them. They’re also both great sources of money, especially if you can do T4 Fractals

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Gathering doesn’t make gold? O_o

I’ve gotten ~50s from a single seaweed node back before the patch got added to Ember Bay. What does or doesn’t get gold does changes a bit.

Friends of mine used to PUG t4 fractals all the time. They don’t play much anymore so they’ve mostly stopped.

The power creep(along with the damage from breakbar mechanic) from elite specs has rendered many of the dungeon paths much easier now so those shouldn’t be an issue either.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Keep an eye out for festivals and special events. On the first few days, most things will sell at a premium so you can make a bit of gold from doing that. Near the end of them, they usually start getting cheaper and you can save a collection to sell later.

It’s very low effort. You really just have to be there at the right time.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I was thinking the same way. I’ve been making bank this way since launch … it’s only gotten more lucrative. You have to know where and what to farm and when to sell it. Unfortunately, it needs more ‘mind work’ to make gold this way, so people avoid it.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I was thinking the same way. I’ve been making bank this way since launch … it’s only gotten more lucrative. You have to know where and what to farm and when to sell it. Unfortunately, it needs more ‘mind work’ to make gold this way, so people avoid it.

or just mine all the rich iron and platinum on each character

another very easy way to make gold is check which of the maps have shiny bauble in their map bonuses and just go do events in that map or use https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward/profit if you want to optimize

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

I like to check GW2timer.com for which HoT metas are starting soonish, and get into squad and onto the main map for it. Follow the zerg, open the chests, salvage, rinse, repeat. I hoard my mats because I am levelling crafting, so I remain cash-poor with less than 100g, but I also have spent probably less than 20g all told to get jeweling to 400, huntsman to 500, and tailoring closing in on 450, with artificing and weaponsmithing squeaking through the miserable iron tiers on the cheap as well.

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

I eat item boosters (can be bought with laurels), and then I farm hard wood and other items that are more uncommon. I do this to make gated materials. I sell them over the weekend when the price goes up. Mind you, that is not all I farm, but just from time gated materials I clear about 100gs a week, and it doesn’t take that much time. I farm probably on average about 30 minutes a day. The item booster gives you extra strikes and it is a speed booster in between nodes so you can move from node to node more quickly. Time is money when you are farming.

I also key farm while I am getting materials on characters without map completion. I get at least 5 gold per map I clear in just materials collected, sometimes more. I have 7 BLC tickets in my bank. I can’t decide whether to get skins and sell them, or save them up to complete my own BLC collections achievements. Each of those tickets is worth at least 50gs, more if you get the skin and hang on it it until it appreciates.

All sorts of ways to make gold in this game. Festivals usually have built in gold boosting opportunities, as well. Keep up on what is going on in the development notes so you can better gauge where the opportunities are. For example, when they gave out the choosable dye pack with our boosted characters I made a calculation that many people would sell dyes for much cheaper than they had before. I was right. I picked up several higher end dyes for quite a price break.

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Rewards from jump puzzles are an RNG thing. The one and only precursor I’ve gotten was from the jump puzzle in Snowden Drifts (after 6,480hr played).

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Stay tuned to my blog. I will be telling my new Gold making routine next Monday.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Is there any reliable way to make gold solo? I don’t mean completely solo, I can do world bosses and events etc. I just don’t want to have a dedicated party of players, I’d like to jump in and out of the game on my own pace and make gold along the way.

So that kind of throws Fractals and dungeons out of the question. I have tried doing world bosses but nothing of value higher than 50 silver has ever dropped for me. I also guess jumping puzzles cannot drop anything good at all no matter your luck. Gathering does not make gold. Everything I can buy with map specific currency from vendors is account bound. Silverwastes farming makes 2g/hour at best and it is not very fun.

So what do people do to make gold in this game? I could stay one hour longer at work, buy gems with € and get as much gold as I get from a full month of HC playing day and night. But that seems and feels like it would just defeat the purpose of playing the game.

I get that there are some gold making guides out there but most of them don’t say anything about solo play, or they are extremely outdated. Anything that doesn’t involve grinding or staring at the TP for hours would be nice.

Auric Basin was THE way to make gold for many but most of us know that the Silverwastes is far more consistent and now better since Auric Basin was nerfed to the ground.

In the Silverwastes your magic find is boosted by doing the event.

Use tools, food and boosts.

Find an organized map using Looking For Group tool in “Squads” – usually a TML or other large PvE guild will be running a tag – if not, look for any organized group.

You will be getting “Bags of Gear” which contain Magic Find salvagable gear and for those wanting to get to 300+ base magic find fastest, consume all with a Mystic or Master kit (some argue about this one, but my experience is garnering me a lot of gold when others complain about not making much).

The vendor on that map also has bags of gear for your map currency north of the Camp Resolve WP. When you have more bandit crests than you can ever get rid of – and it will happen soon enough when you play this map at least once a day, buy a few bags a day making sure you always have crests reserved for keys.

After the event, most commanders will run a ‘chest train’ in-between events – garnering you even more salvage and gold for little effort and no output of gold.

The more you understand this map, the faster you can get to maximum gold find and finding more and better loot.

I spend at least 100 gold per week and am still able to save now that I am not dumping gold and mats into guilds – soon I will buy, not craft, the Bifrost.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: altermaven.7385

altermaven.7385

Oh my. Here’s how I usually do my running after a solid day. I usually try to fit in Tequatl in the day, as well as hit the world bosses I can run without hitting ground often. If I can, I’ll run some HoT meta, usually Auric Basin, salvage what I can’t/don’t use, and trade off excess mats.

Run seasoned wood / elder wood nodes, iron ores, platinum ores, even copper ores from time to time. Go and find mob-heavy events, slaughter for the loot bags they drop, oftentimes you can find some profitable mats from those bags.

Daily completionist, because +2g is fine.

Combine major sigils (yellow) in the Mystic Forge, for the off chance you get a very profitable superior sigil (orange), preferably from sigils netted from salvage.

Promoting unused T5 mats to T6 mats and selling one less than the generated stack (IMPORTANT! Alt-drag to split stacks). Why one less? The recipe requires one T6 mat along with its T5 variants.

It’s always about farming up the materials and selling the excess, but once in a while you’ll get a drop or chest loot that is profitable intact – I prefer selling that off if that’s the case.

Remember, salvaging an exotic has a rare chance to spit out its inscription or insignia. That alone sells for quite a bit, too.

“To be rid of chaos, all must restore the balance.”
Part of the [PORT] mystical tour – “Marilee Mangletooth.” What main?
Something something Autechre fanatic.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I park half of my alts at a Rich Iron Node and the other half at the Malchor’s Leap Elder Wood Tree farm.

When I first log in each day, I get my daily done, then log into each alt and farm.

Once that’s done (about 15 minutes), I go on about my business.

I always try to save up the Iron and Elder Wood until the weekend, at which point I refine it and list it on the TP.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Auric Basin was THE way to make gold for many but most of us know that the Silverwastes is far more consistent and now better since Auric Basin was nerfed to the ground.

cough that would be nerfed to return a reward consistent with the effort involved, rather than one 5x to 20x higher than expected. You now get the amount of reward from an AB meta than someone who didn’t do multi-map looting got from the AB meta.

Posted by: altermaven.7385

altermaven.7385

cough that would be nerfed to return a reward consistent with the effort involved, rather than one 5x to 20x higher than expected. You now get the amount of reward from an AB meta than someone who didn’t do multi-map looting got from the AB meta.

Siding with SlippyCheeze here. The AB meta allowing to be multimap looted fell more on the lines of exploit than full-on intentional. Yes, I may have run it about 3 times, but I stopped because I felt it was broken as hell. Sorry if you don’t like the idea of putting in the effort of slaying Octovine each time you want the golden loot. But that is what was intended.

As for resources, I kinda agree it would be better to build up harvest, then do some compare to determine if refine > raw, do refine if that’s the case, or sell raw if not. For some ores (Copper, Iron, Platinum specifically) raw is better than refine. Always check to see if what you’re making is profitable. Sometimes it’s not (unless refining, not crafting). Demand changes on a whim, so keep an eye on the BLTC post prices.

Dredgehaunt Cliffs is the place to be if you’re farming season wood. There’s certain areas that have 3-5 wood nodes near some of the WPs, but you can run a full-on circuit in ~30 minutes granted you have a mobility skill or a source of swiftness. Kneeling at the Wolf shrine near the northern entrance (a bit westward) gets you a head start.

“To be rid of chaos, all must restore the balance.”
Part of the [PORT] mystical tour – “Marilee Mangletooth.” What main?
Something something Autechre fanatic.

Posted by: Nero DarkSlayer.9206

Nero DarkSlayer.9206

What I usually do is buy the black lion weapons skins for 40-50 gold when they first come out, then wait a few months and sell them after the price goes up to like 80-100 gold once the ticket cost goes from one ticket to three or five tickets (I.E. after the next few sets of weapons come out, ofc I buy some of those too).

The price ALWAYS rises on those skins, albeit over a very long period of time. You won’t make fast money, but you will make very safe, steady money. This approach works for me because I only play the game once every few weeks or so, and I have the patience of stone. Waiting months for prices to change is no sweat for me. Or if you’re impatient, you could try ecto gambling. Just know when to cut your losses for the day, and how to quit while you’re ahead. I ended up losing all of my ecto, but I made off with probably a grand total of 500G profit, all things considered. I smarted by investing that money into black lion skins rather than gambling with it.

Also SAB Kaiser Snake skins. I seem to be blessed by the gods of jumping puzzles. (I am also a god of jumping puzzles whom finds trib mode to be almost easy) I’ve probably made close to 700 gold off of SAB skin drops.

Now if only I could actually save my gold rather than blowing it all on useless toys :/ That’s part of the reason I like long term investments. My money is MUCH safer somewhere I can’t touch it.

Posted by: rdfaye.4368

rdfaye.4368

I use a very simple method. I collect all loot drops and harvest everything I find. I deposit the mats and , unless my toon needs, sell everything I can. An unusual mat eill be checked on the TP— some of them bring in the gold. If it only nets 8 bronze on the TP, I am still 8 bronze richer. If you can’t make anything on the TP, sell to a vendor.

I run about 150 g nowadays, and have used cash for one gem purchase (to buy LS2 when it was on sale). It’s doable, and I do recommend fractals. Loot drops are amazing.

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

I wanted to bump this back up in case we have any new players returning in time for another expansion like I have. I understand you don’t want to grind or play the TP, I don’t either. This stuff usually revolves more on research and errand running.

I’ve done a few methods these past 3 years that have consecutively garnished a nice stream of gold that really hasn’t changed much (some things change/ others stay the same!) The folks above me have solid advice. I have nothing to add to their methods, as I do the same here and there.

What I have done to help me out of the first 100-300g is smart crafting of goods that utilize cheap materials and sell for a high price. First, use GW2Spidy to check on some hot items (Mystics is a good starting point – or certain insignias). You can do this by checking the sell price, demand, or profit. Be careful, as some items with a high profit or high sell price do no good. You’ll want a notebook next to you when you do find a few items that meet this criteria, as the items to craft will sometimes require multiple items that you must research price/per in either TP or crafting personally (always ask for a lower price on the TP!) Crafting just one thing won’t increase gold quickly, you’ll need to do multiple at the same time. While you wait for items to be purchased (which soaks up hours at a time for bulk orders) I usually farm the spots the folks above have mentioned. It pays to buy boosters like gold/karma.

Another method I used is the utilization of Zommoros. Again, notepad handy, research the items he sells and the types of things you can craft with them – use the Wikipedia and GW2Spidy to price shop the hot items. You’ll be sure to find the good stuff.

So after I reached past 1000g, I started to dabble in the Mystic Toilet, which is really tricky. But I also started Legendary crafting and selling, which makes quite a large profit depending on the materials crafted on the lucky streak of buying low. That is something for another thread. I hope you can reach this stage with all the tips we have shared! Good luck!

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Another tip, do the PvP seasonal track. There’s a lot of gold and stuff in there, while you simultaneously also get normal reward track stuff

Posted by: Itz Jay.8941

Itz Jay.8941

Answer is no. I do T4 fractals every day so I don’t ever have to craft ascended gear, I just swap stats on what I get. I buy the 30 keys you can buy daily, then when I have time I farm fractal 40 in a highly organised group to get 70 odd encryptions an hour to use keys on. This along with dailies nets me around 200g a week maybe more.

As above if I wanted gold I would stay on at work and convert gems because GW2 has literally zero lucrative gold farms. You’ll have way more time on your hands if you just convert gems so instead of doing boring farms for zero reward, you can actually enjoy the content you want to play.

Farming fractal 40 is the only decent farm and it is still rubbish gold per hour, I think you can get 30g-ish an hour if you are lucky. Anybody who enjoys farming gold or anything in GW2 is absolutely kidding themselves if they think they know how to have fun in a game.

Posted by: Crackers.9628

Crackers.9628

This might sound a bit off putting, but the quickest way to earn gold is tp flipping. It’s pretty boring, but you can do it during down times and make easy gold. I went from 100 to 900 gold when I did it a lot for a week.

Posted by: ClockworkRaja.1732

ClockworkRaja.1732

This might sound a bit off putting, but the quickest way to earn gold is tp flipping. It’s pretty boring, but you can do it during down times and make easy gold. I went from 100 to 900 gold when I did it a lot for a week.

I have been trying to do this, but so far I am breaking even at best Granted I have just started doing it. Any tips on how to make money at TP Flipping?

I came, I saw, I was very confused