Berserker gear for new level 80's?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Phaseshift.5912

Phaseshift.5912

Q:

Hi is using Berserker gear a good general starting point for new level 80’s regardless of class? I play mostly PvE, very little PvP, very little to confirm. I use weapons/ builds that do not use condition damage if I can choose it (is this wrong?). I appreciate any help offered, thnx

Phaseshift.

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

It really depends. How often do you get damaged? Do you get downed or killed a lot? If you do, you should get gear that has Vitality or Toughness on it. I’d suggest getting Power as well so you’re still doing a good bit of damage. For a third stat, either Vitality or toughness again if you’re getting downed loads, or Precision. Only get Zerker gear if you’re good at dodging and rarely die.

As for ‘Is it wrong do use a Power build over a Condition build?’ Not at all, again, it’s all about choice, though Condition builds aren’t as useful if you play with other players, since conditions only stack so high, so Power builds are usually more favoured.

(edited by Ridley.3691)

Phaseshift.5912

It really depends. How often do you get damaged?

Thnx for your comment! maybe I need to play a bit and see how much I die. Would it be feasible to buy first gear with power, precision and crit(i just seem to like these stats) and adjust my toughness/ vitality in Traits?

Ridley.3691

Well, firstly I’d make sure you’re getting traits that are useful to you, that buff the weapons and utility skills you like using, regardless of where those traits happen to be. Don’t spend trait points -just- for the stats, I like to think of the stats as a bonus. After that, see how you do in Zerker gear, and swap some pieces out for Vitality or Toughness if you feel you need it.

I’d suggest buying a cheap set of Masterwork gear to test thing out, then upgrade when you know just what stats you need.

Phaseshift.5912

Thnx Ridley for your help. ^^

Ridley.3691

You’re very welcome! ^_^

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Ive run full zerker setups on Thief, warrior, guardian, mesmer and ranger and they all seem to do pretty decent in PvE. I have changed out the mesmer, guardian and warrior, but only for WvW reasons otherwise I’d be happy to still be running zerker on them.

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

If it’s purely PvE and you can avoid taking significant damage and/or heal what damage you do take, then sure go for full Zerker. Generally you don’t take trait lines to compensate for stats your gear lacks, but for the traits themselves.

Phaseshift.5912

Ive run full zerker setups on Thief, warrior, guardian,

Thnx for your comment! Do you use the berserker stats for your rings and jewewlery as well? Or should I choose other stats?

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Regarding trinkets those should be priority zerker because of the higher return on investment for Crit Damage. If you’re going to swap out gear for Knights for example to toughen up start with armor.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Zerker gear is very good at what it does.

But if you are just starting at 80 and find yourself having issues staying up while fighting, you may want to run some knight’s gear until you are more comfortable with your build.

Eventually, running full zerker gear is usually the most efficient way to play as long as you can stay up.

Might be a little tough to start out as full zerker though.

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Valkyrie is generally the training wheels for berserker, and gives slightly less DPS but more health, making you slightly more defensive, but without messing with your DPS all that much.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

I play mostly PvE, very little PvP,

Yes. Berserker everything is the “be all end all” of PvE (unfortunately). There’s no reason to use any other status gear for PvE . PvP / WvW is a whole different issue.

You might die a bit as you are new to the game, but it doesn’t take much to learn PvE, after which it’s Berserker all the way. Anything else is just dragging you and your team down.