Good morning everyone.
I hope all of you are doing ok! I was just wandering around here and I figured I should ask you for assistance. First, let me provide you with the context:
I am a former Guild Wars player. I possess the “Complete Collection” edition and I have completed all four games. Though I did not exploit the full potential of the best part of the game (the end-game), I still got to experience most of it (filling half of my Hall of Monuments, which was an incredibly rewarding experience).
Anyway, let us move forward to Guild Wars 2. When it was announced, I got quite hyped about it. Every hour of gaming I could spend I dedicated it to my Hall of Monuments to get those sweet rewards in GW2. Unfortunately, when GW2 got released it was a huge dissapointment for me (got it day 1 and I managed to stay for a month). Do not get me wrong! I am not saying it is a bad game! Clearly it is not, as it has withstood quite a lot (of time) and feels pretty much alive (a new expansion coming! I did not expect that). Nonetheless, the game just was not for me at the time.
Maybe it is because it was (and is) a pretty much different experience compared to the former Guild Wars. Maybe it is just because it was not what I expected or simply it did not fit my gaming preferences. Anyway, back at the time it felt empty and repetitive. All those beautiful (and sometimes hard) missions that let you follow an interesting and lore-rich chain of events were not there in the sequel (the main storyline did not feel as good as the previous one and the “dynamic quest” system felt extremely empty and repetitive). My clanmates told me that the true GW2 was in the dungeons and the endgame… so I tried to stay and leveled up until I reached the level cap for the first dungeon (in the Charr territory if I remember correctly), but it did not change anything for me. And so, I quit in frustration.
Summarizing, 5 years and 1 month have passed since I last played. In between, the game got the Heart of Thorns expansion and the base game became free to play. This last event kittened me off quite a bit at the time, I must admit… but now I think the devs made the decission they had to make.
To the point (TL; DR): since I have been gone for a long, long time, I am sure that the game (as well as myself) has changed a lot and that there is now way more content and things to do. Taking into account that I only have the base game, 27 years on my back and little time to spare, I am interested in knowing:
1. What should I do or what should I focus on to make a potential comeback the best GW2 experience one can get? Any cool stuff going on right now?
2. Which are the most prevalent and enjoyable changes that the game has experienced so far? What is the best the game has to offer in your opinion?
3. Which is the best race and the most entertaining profession to play right now? This is tied to question number 1.
4. The dynamic events I’ve missed… I can’t play them now, can I? The only thing I can do is read about them and get involved in the lore, right?
5. Since the game got F2P but I paid for mine… do I get access to the HoT expansion, some discount or anything?
6. Regarding GW1: can I transfer my GW1 into a digital version (Steam version, for example)?
Thank you very much for your time and patience! I know it is a very long post.
(edited by Dreyfus.8730)