Can't decide which class to play

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: aguyuno.1036

aguyuno.1036

So I started this game as a ranger (today; as in, I’m new to the game as of today), like I was in GW1, and got up to level 4 before I started reading forum posts and finding out that rangers are almost totally useless because, even if you play well, pets will screw up a lot. So that seems to be out of the picture (I’m not really looking for an argument here; every time I’ve seen someone argue but they can do xyz, they’re refuted quickly). So I checked which classes DO seem to be the best… and it seems basically everyone plays warrior with a couple eles and mesmers thrown in?

Is the class spread really that boring? Should I not bother with an engineer or thief then, since they’re basically wastes of time it seems? I don’t even see necros mentioned half the time, to the point where I actually forgot they existed until I looked at a class list just now.

So honest q. And I don’t need “whichever one is most fun for you” answer, please; I’m adaptable, I’ll play what I’m needed to play. Which class would be most useful for people for me to play as? Which class, if you will, will benefit groups the most?

Thanks. And sorry for the rant; just a bit frustrated by the complaints I’m reading. Not exactly as excited for this game as I was about 20 minutes ago after reading them, rofl.

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Dont let stupid people screw you over. All classes are completely viable and fun to play at end game

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

If you plan on doing PvE (dungeons, etc.) then u should be aware there is a lot of ranger hate atm. This is mainly due to bearbow rangers and also their pets doing annoyin things like pulling mobs that should not be pulled. Since there is no option for rangers to control their pets that I know of, these accidents r happening more and more frequently and hence contributing to the hate for rangers.

Ele and warrior are imho the most fun to play, with guard being the most useful for dungeons. However ele requires a lotta skill to play but it is indeed a lot more fun. Warrior being easy-mode, lotta survivability without sacrificing dps. Here is a link that is relevant to ur question:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Most-fun-class-poll/first#post3583446
http://strawpoll.me/1114049/r

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: MisterElliott.2481

MisterElliott.2481

Dont let stupid people screw you over. All classes are completely viable and fun to play at end game

… Which is exactly the kind of answer that the OP specifically asked not to get.

Carpboy.7145

… Which is exactly the kind of answer that the OP specifically asked not to get.

No its not. He asked not to get a “play whatever you want. Even if it sucks it doesn’t matter because youre having fun”

I told him the truth. All professions are good and viable

Lyss The Shadow

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Which class would be most useful for people for me to play as? Which class, if you will, will benefit groups the most?

Guardian is the most universally desired profession in all game modes. Every small group, zerg, and dungeon runner values them.

For a better, more specific answer, which game mode (PvE, WvW, sPvP) do you plan on spending most of your time?

aguyuno.1036

Which class would be most useful for people for me to play as? Which class, if you will, will benefit groups the most?

Guardian is the most universally desired profession in all game modes. Every small group, zerg, and dungeon runner values them.

For a better, more specific answer, which game mode (PvE, WvW, sPvP) do you plan on spending most of your time?

Honestly, I don’t know. PvE until 80 at least, almost definitely. But I will likely PvP when I get to end game, if not a bit before that. PROBABLY not solo pvp though; I prefer team battles in games like this.

I went with engineer for now, since their versatility should mean that I can adapt to any of the game types and it isn’t “rolling easy mode” like Warriors are. I would’ve gone Guardian, but the friend I’m planning to mostly play with is already that so yeah xD. Are engis good?

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

Note: This is for PvE-only! (Since you can PvP on a level 2. I feel in WvW every class is strong, if played in the right places, e.g. roam or zerg)
If you’re pugging, 9/10 times if there’s a certain class people want it’s for these reasons;
Guardian – Defensive purposes whilst maintaining high DPS. The support comes from utilities (which you will swap depending on situation) such as reflects (projectiles get send back to the user) Condition Removal and Stability. Their F1-3 skills providing a lot of blind on thrash (if specced) preventing a lot of damage and (if specced) provides either stability or condition removal (speccing both would be a DPS-loss)
Warrior – Unique offensive Support through banners (Discipline adds 15% critical damage! And some Precision, other banners are decent aswell) and Fury/Might on a decent upkeep (For Great Justice) due to this you’re usually stuck to 1 Banner, For Great Justice and 1 utility of your choice. On top of this you provide a lot of DPS, your HP-pool and Armor are quite impressive making this a good class to begin with.
Mesmer – Similar utility-wise as Guardian, some Condition Removal, Stability or Reflects as needed. Your focus has (if traited) a pull/push/knockdown and 2 reflects in one. Unique support in terms of a Portal, not always helpful, but it’s an amazing skill nonetheless and your elite can provide party-wide Quickness. Oh and like everything else, great DPS. Due to Blurred Frenzy it’s on of the easier (light) classes to melee with.
Elementalist – Stack Might and Fury like no other and the current meta is mainly DPS things down before you die, making these quite beloved. On top of that the Conjure weapons have amazing uses such as; Frost Bow 4 on huge targets and Fiercy Greatsword against a wall more or less makes anything explode. Do I need to mention amazing DPS?

In more orginized party’s Thief and Ranger become quite beloved.
Thief – Stealth can provide amazing little tricks to skip content or make things a lot easier. How-ever in PuGs if people don’t know the tricks, you’re more or less redundant. Other bonusses is perma-blind (pistol 5) on trash.
Ranger – Spotter, a trait, gives party-wide Precision. In a min-max group it’s amazing. But for pugging, bad Rangers (I’ve seen 1 good one and about 999 bearbows who provided nothing to the party) gave them a poor them, like mentioned above. Pets can (and should) be micro’d to go prevent bad aggro.

Engineer – Great Vulnerability Stacker and not bad at Might stacking. Downside? People feel Elementalists and Warrior do it better. To me they feel a jack of all trades. They can party-stealth if needed, stack fury if needed, thrown down a waterfield and heal if needed.
Necromancer – Not sure what to say, I think a mix of having to sacrifice DPS for support and the other way around on top of bad players giving the class a bad name. But I’m not quite sure, I simply use this toon to get loads of lootbags in WvW when my fav commander is commanding.

Ofcourse not all groups will exclude classes, but it’s right that some do. Lastly usually people prefer 1, maybe 2 non-heavy armor classes and the rest Heavy (aka Warrior or Guardian) which might affect your descision aswell.

Goodluck and enjoy the game!

In before hate: I don’t claim that any class is better than another, I simply summerized what a class brings to the group with meta-builds. I agree people should play a class they enjoy, but understand for some people it’s the class they feel the most useful with.

(edited by Esmee.1067)

aguyuno.1036

No its not. He asked not to get a “play whatever you want. Even if it sucks it doesn’t matter because youre having fun”

Not to be rude, but your answer was more or less yes what I was avoiding. I know any good player can make a ranger viable, but I also know that a skilled ranger going against a player of equal skill playing ANY OTHER CLASS, that ranger will lose. Thus, I’m not playing that, as much as I hate it (archers ftw, after all).

As I said in the other response, I went with engi for now. I’ll create a different class later, if this proves to be wrong, but I’m at least enjoying myself for now. Asura are crazy so there’s that.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Warrior is a selfish dps-machine
Ranger is a selfish dps-wannabe
Necromancer is fun, too bad conditions are limited (the amount of stacks of e.g. poison is very quickly reached, specially in world events)
Thief is nice to supply stealth to your fellow players, but is a bit weak in selfsupport.
Elementalis and engineer have some pretty nice support mechanism. Engineer is more versatile but difficult to master. Ele has better dps, but can be squishy at the start.
Guardian is the best in a supportive role and are actually still good in DPS
Mesmer is helpfull….To portal people to jumping puzzle chests. Also good in WvW to hide in an enemy keep when it is bout to be taken and then when the keep is taken and the main enemy force is gone, to quickly portal your forces back in and retake.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Carpboy.7145

Not to be rude, but your answer was more or less yes what I was avoiding. I know any good player can make a ranger viable, but I also know that a skilled ranger going against a player of equal skill playing ANY OTHER CLASS, that ranger will lose. Thus, I’m not playing that, as much as I hate it (archers ftw, after all).

As I said in the other response, I went with engi for now. I’ll create a different class later, if this proves to be wrong, but I’m at least enjoying myself for now. Asura are crazy so there’s that.

You just got the game and your highest lvl is 4. Im not sure how exactly you can think that considering youve probably played this game less than an hour :/

Lyss The Shadow

aguyuno.1036

Warrior is a selfish dps-machine
Ranger is a selfish dps-wannabe
Necromancer is fun, too bad conditions are limited (the amount of stacks of e.g. poison is very quickly reached, specially in world events)
Thief is nice to supply stealth to your fellow players, but is a bit weak in selfsupport.
Elementalis and engineer have some pretty nice support mechanism. Engineer is more versatile but difficult to master. Ele has better dps, but can be squishy at the start.
Guardian is the best in a supportive role and are actually still good in DPS
Mesmer is helpfull….To portal people to jumping puzzle chests. Also good in WvW to hide in an enemy keep when it is bout to be taken and then when the keep is taken and the main enemy force is gone, to quickly portal your forces back in and retake.

Sounds good. Engineer is fun so far, I like their insane versatility. I think I’ll stay here for now. Thanks!

Posted by: Flintgold.5761

Flintgold.5761

To add to Esmee’s breakdown of each class, It really depends on the player and how you have your toon set up. I have seen amazing people of every class as well as really bad ones.

When I started playing I used to think that some races/classes were better than others but later on seeing some people dominate with a class/race combo I thought was trash really opened my eyes. Find a class/race combo you like then look up the specs that will put you at the top of the list for that combo.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Ranger – Spotter, a trait, gives party-wide Precision. In a min-max group it’s amazing. But for pugging, bad Rangers (I’ve seen 1 good one and about 999 bearbows who provided nothing to the party) gave them a poor them, like mentioned above. Pets can (and should) be micro’d to go prevent bad aggro.

Wow that’s still a better ratio than the rangers I get in pugs. Tell me how you do it please.

Also stop trying to push the anti-warrior agenda, they’re a bad class with few redeeming features outside of being bannerbots. If anything engineers are the most ezmode class, sit back and throw grenades at a safe distance for massive DPS and be unkillable with your bar of 20 defensive skills. Though I guess they’re “hard” if pressing a few extra buttons makes a class “hard”.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Most people dislike rangers because there are few that can actually play the class well. Arguably one of the easiest classes to pick up, but not so easy to master.

(I’m betting a lot of it is just bad rep, since the ease of learning = attracting people who probably aren’t good at gameplay anyway. Micro-managing the pet can get tricky, but when I started my ranger, I really can’t see what all the fuss is with them…)

That aside, if you really like PvE, I’d also suggest looking at guardian next. They’re more of a tanky class, and are loved in dungeons. I just find them annoying solo PvE, because they’re slow.

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Necromancers can do beastily damage, engineers are fun to play, thieves are tricky (pun) and rangers are quite fun and nice to pve with but again the pet-system makes them tricky to handle.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Most people dislike rangers because there are few that can actually play the class well. Arguably one of the easiest classes to pick up, but not so easy to master.

(I’m betting a lot of it is just bad rep, since the ease of learning = attracting people who probably aren’t good at gameplay anyway. Micro-managing the pet can get tricky, but when I started my ranger, I really can’t see what all the fuss is with them…)

That aside, if you really like PvE, I’d also suggest looking at guardian next. They’re more of a tanky class, and are loved in dungeons. I just find them annoying solo PvE, because they’re slow.

Guardians are pretty close to rangers on the “lots of bad players doing useless things” spectrum though. So many staff/AH guards. Every class sorta has their bearbow unfortunately but rangers and guards have it the worst IMO with warriors and mesmers coming up a close second.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Since you want the ultimate in safe-bet style play go warrior. You can mess up and mess up big but you just need to blame the other players and you will blend right in.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

To explain the ranger-issues. There is not a real problem with the class itself.
There are two major issues with the audiance it appeals to and the way the class work, the combination makes it very bad.

The first is the audiance. Thanks to movies and other games, the archers/hunters/woodelves/legolas has an appeal to fantasy lovers. on top of that, you get a nice cute pet to keep you company. he is fury and warm and…well you get my point. Rangers are cute and appealing. without knowing the class you prolly agree. This is however (from a competitive point of view) attracking the people who care less bout being effective, but more bout looks and feels and sexappeal.

So the audiance that is attracked to rangers is less skilled in gaming and more in role playing. Nothing wrong yet.

But now how the class work when you start leveling.
You quickly discover how easy it is to let your pet tank. And you discover that the best pet to tank for you is the bear. you can easily get to 80 by letting your bear tank while you throw barrage with your bow from a distance. The game isn’t triggering you to learn to dodge, or learn to move around. or to avoid agro. elements of game play that are very important in sPvP, dungeons and WvW.

So rangers allready attracks an audiance that is more into role playing and less in serious combat, on top of that during levelling it is the class that is pushed lesser then other to tactics usefull in endgame content. The result is that a huge amount of ranger don’t really know how to play and have little concern over it, but it is giving the class a very very bad name.

On top of that, you can be very very good!!

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!