Cannot play with a friend.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: BloodKitten.7542

BloodKitten.7542

im in a server in europe, my friend is on a server in the US, we cant get out characters to load in the instace, and the closest thing we get see eachother on the minimap, however we see diffrent players wich mean we are not in the same instace, and we can play story missions.

can this be fixed? i really want to play with my friends, but dont want to move out of europe servers.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can not play with friends on servers in a different region than your own. You must both be on NA servers or EU servers.

Posted by: BloodKitten.7542

BloodKitten.7542

You can not play with friends on servers in a different region than your own. You must both be on NA servers or EU servers.

not an excuse, i should be able to play with my friends reguarless of thier home server choice.

at the very least they should allow you to guest on servers in diffrent region, maybe that will fix it.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not going to happen. It’s not a bug, it’s technically infeasible.

If you want to play with your friends, some of you will have to transfer. You can do so, at no cost, if you delete all your characters.

Good luck.

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

Not going to happen. It’s not a bug, it’s technically infeasible.

If you want to play with your friends, some of you will have to transfer. You can do so, at no cost, if you delete all your characters.

Good luck.

Someone obviously didn’t play GW1.

And it isn’t “technically infeasible”, so don’t say such things if you don’t know the answer.

In the early days of GW1, there were regions. NA, EU, Taiwan, and many others, all separated from each other.

Two of the end game PvE instances, Fissure of Woe and Underworld, were only accessible if your region had “Favour of the Gods”.

“Favour of the Gods” was gained for your region, if your region won 5 matches in a row in the Hall of Heroes, which was the last arena inside Heroes Ascent (one of many PvP modes).

Obviously NA and EU controlled the “Favour of the Gods” the most, due to having more players in their region giving them a greater chance of having a team from their region win in the Hall of Heroes.

People would change their region (like WvW server stacking) to be in the regions that win the most.

They changed how “Favour of the Gods” was gained, to a game wide thing, which was earned by any player in the world finishing a title (achievement) on any character. After a certain amount were completed, the favour was earned for everyone.

But they also changed how ‘regions’ worked. Giving players more players to form groups with.

The restriction was removed.

They made it similar to how ‘guesting’ works in GW2. You’d select a region from the drop down box when in a town instance, and join into it, and you’d be in that region, of course your latency would change and such, but you could group with people from other regions.

There is literally no reason why GW2 went backwards in terms of MMO advancement.

There is also no reason why they can’t remove the restriction.

Why they don’t, is to cash in on people buying gems to server transfer.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

(edited by thaooo.5320)

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Thaooo is 100% correct, this restriction was only put into place on GW2, im guessing because they wanted $$ from server transfers even though they left them free for along time,

At the OP, sadly for now there is no way for you to play with any friends who are on an NA server if you are on an EU server, you NA friends can transfer to EU and EU can transfer to NA, but until the silly restriction is lifted in game its the only way it can be done.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lol. Assumptions are bad, often.

If the Devs say that the reason there is no guesting across regions is because of technical reasons, then feel free to call them liars.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guesting-is-Coming/page/3#post1221430

Martin Kerstein
Head of Global Community

Let me explain to you why you cannot guest on worlds in another region.

There are two databases: European player data is stored in our European datacenter, American player data is stored in our American datacenter. This is to ensure that people in these regions can still properly play in case there is an issue with the connection between the datacenters.

When you do a world transfer from the US to the EU (and vice versa) your player data is transferred from one datacenter to the other. This is not the case with guesting, as you are still “registered” on your home world.

I understand that some of you are disappointed that you cannot guest on worlds in another region, but considering the complexity of internet routing, our main priority is to ensure that players have as much of an uninterrupted game experience as possible, which is the reason why we have two datacenters.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Oooo…kay. Thanks for your input! =)

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

Lol. Assumptions are bad, often.

If the Devs say that the reason there is no guesting across regions is because of technical reasons, then feel free to call them liars.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guesting-is-Coming/page/3#post1221430

Martin Kerstein
Head of Global Community

Let me explain to you why you cannot guest on worlds in another region.

There are two databases: European player data is stored in our European datacenter, American player data is stored in our American datacenter. This is to ensure that people in these regions can still properly play in case there is an issue with the connection between the datacenters.

When you do a world transfer from the US to the EU (and vice versa) your player data is transferred from one datacenter to the other. This is not the case with guesting, as you are still “registered” on your home world.

I understand that some of you are disappointed that you cannot guest on worlds in another region, but considering the complexity of internet routing, our main priority is to ensure that players have as much of an uninterrupted game experience as possible, which is the reason why we have two datacenters.

You stated it is technically infeasable. Which can mean two things.

1. It is technologically impossible with current technology. Which we know is not the case because at the very least, GW1 did it.

Or

2. It’s technically infeasable, using the other meaning of technically as ou interpreting the deva saying it so.

Reading the dev quote all I read is this.

While we understand you guys would like this feature, however we will not so it because there are two data centers and we don’t want one data center to keep lag minimal. However we could do guesting with a lot of time and effort but we don’t want to deal with the challenge of that let alone the numerous bugs and crashes to personal clients it would cause for a while when using the feature.

You are right though, assumptions are bad.

Isle Of Janthir

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

not an excuse, i should be able to play with my friends reguarless of thier home server choice.

at the very least they should allow you to guest on servers in diffrent region, maybe that will fix it.

Nobody is making an excuse. We are telling you how the game works.

NA and EU servers are run from separate log in servers and thus are not technically capable of connecting to each other. Period. Over and out. i.e. Not going to happen.

Your only option here is for you or your friend to change servers (you CAN change to a server in NA or EU).

In terms of technology, I’m sure it is possible to do what you are asking, but I’m sure Anet realized the potential lag issues that could exist….just ask Pacific Rim players that have to connect to either EU or NA servers to play…they pretty much have perm-skill lag. Geographic location on the planet DOES effect the data path latency on the internet.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: darksilklips.3165

darksilklips.3165

I joined with an EU code but paid to transfer to an NA server. It sucks, but it works.

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

You could have deleted all your characters and transfer for free. If you already have invested characters on an EU server that you don’t want to delete, then that means you have chosen consciously to play on an EU server for an extended amount of time, which justifies the cost for transfer.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I’ve heard stories of people in EU and transfer to a NA server, you get huge ping times (half second delays on everything)
Then again, I’ve also heard stories of people doing the same thing with no noticeable change.
So maybe it’d be inconsequential to change, maybe not. But it is possible.

Posted by: darksilklips.3165

darksilklips.3165

I don’t have any lag time… it seems identical.

Have you tried just guesting on an NA server?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t have any lag time… it seems identical.

Have you tried just guesting on an NA server?

If you are on an EU server you can’t guest to a NA server and vice versa, which is what this thread is about.

Posted by: Diarmadhim.3026

Diarmadhim.3026

What sucks is originally we were promised that you’d be able to play with people from the other region. Here’s an old FB post (this is what caused me to pre-purchase the game). Too bad they went back on their word.

https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/425415807474699

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

What sucks is originally we were promised that you’d be able to play with people from the other region. Here’s an old FB post (this is what caused me to pre-purchase the game). Too bad they went back on their word.

Well, not exactly. There is nothing false or untrue about what they said. You can play with your friends. Buying a NA version or an EU version does not stop you from playing on another region’s server. The game requires you to transfer or to buy a second account, but it doesn’t stop you from playing with your friends. That saying, I can see how someone who only read that statement would think that it would be easy to do so.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That had a lot more to do with region-lock and all its controversy than anything else. It was quite welcome news, at the time.

Now, you can even register games outside your region. How things have changed! For the better! =)

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Actually your right it is no excuse. It is a fact and it is a logical reason. It has nothing to do with “home server” choice, as he said is has everything to do with region choice. Your friend chose to set himself to US region and you chose to set yourself to EU region.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It would be cheaper, and easier, to buy a second copy of the game, and use that for a NA server copy, and the other for an EU server. Right now with 50% off its almost as much as buying a server tranfer. That way you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Diarmadhim.3026

Diarmadhim.3026

Well, not exactly. There is nothing false or untrue about what they said. You can play with your friends. Buying a NA version or an EU version does not stop you from playing on another region’s server. The game requires you to transfer or to buy a second account, but it doesn’t stop you from playing with your friends. That saying, I can see how someone who only read that statement would think that it would be easy to do so.

I don’t play the word game – I leave logical back flips like the one you present to the realm of politicians. They stated “People from NA will be able to play with people from EU at launch.” Most people would infer that to mean that it didn’t matter what server you were on – you could play with friends from across the pond. If it were a legal issue, all one would have to show is that it is reasonable to assume that’s what they meant. As is, it falls in line with false/misleading advertising. I still enjoy the game, I’d just enjoy it more if I could play with my European and North American friends at the same time without having to pay an extra cost in money and time in order to do so.

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

Although I understand this technically..It still makes me sad not be able to play wth both NA and EU friends at the same spot… :/

Ah well..#firstworldproblems XD

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.