Choosing class for the newcomer

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: aurensei.5283

aurensei.5283

Hi everyone! I’m a bit newcomer (got GW2 for Christmas) and I am hesitant about picking class for the last fifth character slot. I’ve already experimented and picked ranger, necro, guardian and engeneer. So the question is to choose between elementalist, mesmer and thief (it was warrior or guardian so this class is out of the question). I’ve tried each but didn’t have so much fun I thought I’d have. In in-game chat I saw people saying thief is great on higher levels, is that so? And I’m not as good in melee, so does thief have good range weapon choice?
PS Sorry if my questions sound stupid, I’m new but learning fast

~ Crystal Desert ~

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

Let’s go over your choices one by one:

Elementalist

• Difficulty: Medium-Hard
  • Strengths: Highest Possible personal DPS, Boons, Healing, Sustain, Condi Removal, Mobility
  • Weaknesses: Lowest Max HP Tier, Low Armor, Low access to Damaging Conditions
  • Playstyle PvE: Damage and Offensive Support, the Elementalist is a staple in every Dungeon group due to their unrivaled Offensive Support in the form of Might and Fury Boons along with their High-end Personal DPS using Fireball or Lightning Hammer. Furthermore, due to attunements they have access to a plentora of Support and Control skills for situational use regardless of their weapon. Their low Health and Armor, coupled with reliance on proper rotations (Unless using a Pure DPS-build with Staff) give them a high skill bar. Preferred Armor/Trinkets: Berserker/Berserker.
  • Playstyle WvW: Wanted for their supportive skills and wide AoE with Staff, the Elementalists make up the sustain of the Backline in zergs. With access to all 3 useful fields (Fire/Water/Lightning) as well as AoE attacks and support skills, the Elementalist is irreplacable in the backline. Squishy still, however, they will generally be called out and focused by Hit-and-run professions such as thieves and rangers, so proper knowledge of disengaging and lockdown through CC is necessery to make the most of them. Preferred Armor/Trinkets: Soldier/Berserker.
  • Playstyle sPvP: Celestial is the best friend of the Elementalist. Coupled with their own innate ability to stack Might, this allows them to build for complete Defense in terms of traits while retaining extremely high levels of DPS using Dagger/Dagger, or bunker down as Team Support and AoE damage with a Staff. Also a staple in most competative teams, the Elementalist is currently Top-tier in sPvP. The Skill roof is extremely high, however, and proper Attunement rotation as well as knowing the core of PvP is extremely vital for one’s success. Preferred Amulet: Celestial.

Thief

• Difficulty: Medium
  • Strengths: High Personal DPS, Boon Removal, Highest Mobility of all Professions, Superior Access to Dodges, Superior Ability to Disengage and Reset fights, Highest HPS Healing Skill.
  • Weaknesses: Lowest Max HP Tier, Condi Removal, Reliance on Initiative Management, General sustain outside of Stealth, Glass Cannon, Poor Range.
  • Playstyle PvE: Damage Primarily, but brings their own levels of Support through Team-wide Stealth, Endurance Recovery and Perma-Blindness for mobs. A thief’s main job on a dungeon team is as the Vulnerability Capper and Single-target DPS, mixing Fast and heavy-hitting attacks with devastating Stealth Attacks. Proper Rotation is necessery, as well as Initiative Management. You’ll be very, very Squishy. Preferred Armor/Trinkets: Berserker/Berserker.
  • Playstyle WvW: Thieves are much too squishy and has too poor Range to safely be a Backliner. However, thanks to their access to Stealth, mobility and ability to disengage easily they make for good Roamers, often solo. In zergs, the thieves will generally use their mobility and stealth to skirt around the Frontline and home in on squishy backliners or lone stragglers for a quick kill, before disengaging and picking a new target. Preferred Armor/Trinkets: Berserker or Soldier, sometimes even Dire for Condition-Specced Roamers.
  • Playstyle sPvP: Very similar to their WvW counterpart, thieves work best roaming between points and catching enemies off-guard 1v1 or 2v1. They aim either for a quick kill or a quick Decap of an unguarded point. They fall quite easily to AoE’s and if they’re focused on team fights, so generally stay on the edge of those and focus on stragglers. Preferred Amulet: Berserker.
Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

Didn’t have Room for Mesmer in the previous answer, so here it is instead:

Mesmer

• Difficulty: Hard
  • Strengths: Boon Removal, Condition Removal, Projectile Defense/Reflection, Capable of High Burst Damage, Superior Mobility, Portals, Best Access to Confusion and Torment.
  • Weaknesses: Lowest Armor Tier, Reliant on Phantasms for DPS, Reliant on Traits for Burst Damage, Very High Skill Roof, Lacks access to Boons or have them from unreliable sources.
  • Playstyle PvE: Having fallen out of favor in most runs recently, the mesmer is nonetheless a contender in the Dungeon Scene. With superior Access to Projectile Defenses, any instances that are heavy on those will have you benefit from having a Mesmer on your team. Their easy access to Condition Removal as well as their Access to Portals make them one of the best Supporting Professions out there. They lack however in terms of DPS, as they’re heavily reliant on their Phantasms for that. Shatter skills are seldom used in Dungeons. Preferred Armor/Trinkets: Assassin/Berserker.
  • Playstyle WvW: As roamers, Mesmers are rightfully feared for their confusing playstyle, often capitalizing on the human factor through the use of Clones and Stealth to disorient and confuse the player behind the other character.
    When in Zergs, the Mesmer’s duty is again that of support, using Portals to quickly move the zerg across the map and Veil to stealth the Zerg just before they charge an enemy, throwing the enemy into disarray. Preferred Armor: Soldier/Assassin/Berserker or Dire if Condition Specced.
  • Playstyle sPvP: One of the most difficult professions to get the hang of, as they’re ruthlessly unforgiving if you mess up a Shatter or get caught off-gaurd. They’re currently favored as full Glass Cannon Shatter builds, capable of insane burst damage to unsuspecting enemies but being extremely squishy as a result. Lacking the Dodges and Continuous stealth of thieves, the Mesmer must often rely on the Human factor by deceit and confusing enemies with clones and LoS. Learning proper rotations is a must to even survive as a Mesmer in sPvP. Preferred Amulet: Berserker.
Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Posted by: aurensei.5283

aurensei.5283

wow, TheSwede, that’s awesome guides! Thank you so much! Now that I know this I’m choosing between thief and elementalist. And I probably will give thief a try, ’couse I already have a magic-class necro. Thanks again!

~ Crystal Desert ~