GW2 Combat System 101 (Guide)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Secki.1647

Secki.1647

This is a great tool for new people to use to become better at the game.

Posted by: Cata.6489

Cata.6489

Met Abaddon when he was posting in map chat decided I would give it a try and see what he could help me out on. Let’s just say I have an entirely new look on the game and how it plays. Thanks to him I actually understand what I’m doing and why I’m doing it rather than smashing buttons kill something dies or something kills me!! The guide helped tremendously and I can’t wait to get into some real combat.

Posted by: Comrade.8692

Comrade.8692

The guide really helped me understand how everything worked and it will help me convince my friend that GW2 is alot more in depth then we thought it was

but the guy seems to really know his stuff and in the end im going to have to practice alot to get better T_T

TY for ur time to put all this info together in one place it really helps and ill refer my friend to it as well

Posted by: Imperial Muffins.6194

Imperial Muffins.6194

The guide is itself is very basic and easy to understand. For new players like myself, it is really helpful. Before going through this guide, I did not know very much about this game or how to actually fight. I would go around mashing buttons with the typical mmo mentality that I’ve had from other games. Definitely a must read for all new players to understand what this game is truly about.

Posted by: Dubbit.9518

Dubbit.9518

hey Dreamy thx for the guide it really helped me understand how to play guild wars2. and this is coming from a hardcore wow player. it helped me revolutionize the way i play and make my toon feel more unique to me and the way i play. domo

Posted by: Spooksie.4930

Spooksie.4930

This is such a great guide. The videos were very well done and easy to follow. The whole concept was a real eye opener and I wished that I had come across the guide my first day in Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Lethal.5312

Lethal.5312

This Guide has alot of helpful information that i had no idea was included in this game. This Really changes the way i look at guild wars 2 fighting styles and combat scenarios, like when i feel completely useless in PvE because my build has LOTS OF DAMAGE. but no Support. thank you very much for the enlightenment of information that has been bestowed upon me. I shall take this information and conquer tyria on any class i make from now on ^^ Thanks Dreamy Abaddon!

Posted by: Plaw.7150

Plaw.7150

Dreamy abaddon’s guide works really well he explains all the steps to making builds, and he shows them in the videos in order to show us how to make builds of our own. It has all the details and explains ALL of them in a well thought out order. So far i have been able to improve my skills in this game, and i now can make good builds that can help me do Damage, Control, and Support.

Posted by: Brothahill.4928

Brothahill.4928

I’ve just read through your guide and watched the subsequent videos. It serves as a helpful entry into the combat system of Guild Wars 2. For the most part, the elements were clear and concise. I now believe I have a direction to take my character(s). There are two changes or additions which I could see being helpful. The first does not really apply to me and how I play. I think that we could benefit from greater detail when it comes to group play. Because this is a different combat system in regards to roles, it would be helpful to see how one orients their play as it relates to the group. Second, I still find the trait system a bit unclear. I may just need to get in-game and view the system. One of the videos touched upon them, but I guess I prefer my examples and explanation in written form. Anyways, not so lost anymore.

Posted by: Loreseh.3850

Loreseh.3850

The guide really helps me who come from games like WoW. It explains well the game core combat style of Gw2 compared to other MMOs where there is specific job for each classes. Damage, control, support, without the guide, it would be difficult for me to identify and classify each skill to use in battle and building my build. Also it teaches well where to start building my character that actually suits my own playstyle. I have to admit that i used to look and depend on others for builds, now i don’t have to. SO thanks alot Dreamy Abaddon!!!!

Posted by: HolyNecro.6754

HolyNecro.6754

Great guide,
really explains the core mechanics of gw2 and how it’s different from other main mmo’s. It’s key to understand the concepts of Damage/Control/Support, and how professions aren’t just one specific role and rather are a mix of the three, which varies from each profession and each build. Your guide helped me a lot thanks.

Posted by: Angerofthegods.9358

Angerofthegods.9358

Well i am new to the game and from what i could tell I needed to stop thinking this was exactly like wow, Kinda like how people think Minecraft is like terraria or Starbound, they are two completely different games and this guide helped me realize that and i love how i learned about the Damage/control/support its awesome how this game is designed and im gonna hit 80 soon enough Thanks for the awesome guide

Posted by: Angerofthegods.9358

Angerofthegods.9358

Well i am new to the game and from what i could tell I needed to stop thinking this was exactly like wow, Kinda like how people think Minecraft is like terraria or Starbound, they are two completely different games and this guide helped me realize that and i love how i learned about the Damage/control/support its awesome how this game is designed and im gonna hit 80 soon enough Thanks for the awesome guide

Posted by: Branches.1036

Branches.1036

Very helpful especially to a new player. I was able to understand the combat mechanism easily because of this, and I learned to how control the fight. Also, the traits was very helpful because i know i get to play at my own play style and i won’t have to go looking for guides on skill sets for my specific class. Thank you for all the help

Posted by: Seireitou.9807

Seireitou.9807

I only met DreamyAbaddon just yesterday and literally learned more in just one day then I did checking random reviews, help from other in game players and random youtube players. He sad down and just taught, from the basics to the most advanced mechanics on skype. I look at this game completely differently and can’t wait to start leveling up and playing. DreamyAbaddon actually made this game for me haha.

Posted by: Deathpickle.3509

Deathpickle.3509

Thank you for the guide Dreamy! It was really helpful! Thanks for taking the time to explain me all the mechanics and basics. It was really nice of you!

The game seems to be way more exciting and fun now that I know the basics! Can’t wait to get back in the game tomorrow and try out all the mechanics!

The bear has to die

Posted by: DankRuptt.5306

DankRuptt.5306

This guy went out of his way to help me spent 3 hours of his time making sure I got the right feel and understood everything to do with the game im really appreciative of what he has done for me and I definately understand the combat system/game a LOT! more than I did before I met him. He has saved me so much time by helping me tonight and making sure I understood the game this is a great guide I reccomend it to all new players

Posted by: hermjay.3469

hermjay.3469

I have been playing this game for almost a year now, and I had been having trouble with skills/traits, but when I looked at this guide I had noticed I was having trouble with a lot more than I thought. Now I’m going to try to improve myself at this games combat mechanics and really enjoy it a lot more than I already did.

I recommend this guide to anyone who is new to GW2 or is like me and has been on this game for a while but hasn’t quite figured out what has been holding them back.

Posted by: hermjay.3469

hermjay.3469

I’m posting a second comment on this guide to say thanks to DreamyAbaddon for all of his help thus far and for the help in the future.

Posted by: Twizted.3549

Twizted.3549

I wanted to give a thank you to DreamyAbaddon!

I’ve been playing for about a week, kinda just trying to figure things out on my own and looking up builds online the way I typically do with other MMOs. Naturally, I wasn’t doing too well, and I wasn’t very happy with my character, but I was fortunate to see DreamyAbaddon asking if anyone needed help with anything. TBH, I was a little skeptical, because nobody is that nice haha, but I sent a few PMs, and he really was determined to help me succeed!

We discussed a lot of basic mechanics that the game hadn’t helped me familiarize with, but which helped change my view of the depth that this game really has.

He spent well over an hour of his time to help me appreciate the game, and have more faith in going out to do whatever build I want, without feeling like I won’t be accepted since I don’t run a meta build.

Thank you again for your time and patience!

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

^_^ Once the New Specialization System is Released, I will Update this Combat Guide!
Stay Tuned for more!

Posted by: AngryDuck.8325

AngryDuck.8325

Thank you alot for not making this game a mystery no more. I can now play without saying : What am I doing? What the goal? I can do real combat and make my own build. This is really helpfull. And you teach me even if English is not my first language, thats something really good. And your really patient.

Now I can says: I know to play GW2
Thank you alot!

Posted by: MaximusDB.1654

MaximusDB.1654

Hey Man its max! This was soo much help for so much little reward. I honnestly thank you so much that you helped me and my friend out on this game. I love this. This guide helped me learn what weapons to use and when and how to make my build. I really wish you would join our guild and hang out with us on Guild wars on the regular! I hope you consider this offer. We need peeps! Again thanks so much!

DreamyAbaddon.3265

^_^ Special Thanks to Kidlive.8607 & Glimly Drand.94.5 for helping me with Updating this guide! Hopefully this will help newbies out better on how the new system works while still teaching the essentials of in game mechanic and making builds.

Thanks for the Support everyone and ArenaNet! <3

Posted by: KidLive.8607

KidLive.8607

So, I’m not the newest player that DA has helped, however after a recent patch I was informed that I was severely lacking in what I thought were skills. Due the the break down of combat (control, support, and damage), it was clear what I needed to work on to hone my tactics. Thanks, Dreamy, for the knowledge and direction to become a better more efficient player in GW2.

Posted by: KidLive.8607

KidLive.8607

DreamyAbaddon,
A Selfless Human Being.
Thanks for the assist.

Posted by: Lathilla.2418

Lathilla.2418

This is one of the best guides for new/returning players alike. If you want to get the basic flow of the game down this is the perfect guide for it.

Posted by: SoloQue.2491

SoloQue.2491

Great overall explanation of aspects of the game that is not typically known or inherited from playing other mmo’s,

Vastly increased the time to take to learn basic to moderate skills and game mechanics.

i like how your not bias to any class so it doesn’t effect your tutorials.

wouldnt be able to find a guide elsewhere thats this good, would continue to learn from your guides through out the game.

Posted by: Samji Walhala.8697

Samji Walhala.8697

Very good explanation of the combat system, and especially the skills. For a guy like me, who despite being a mmo vet, still had allot to learn about the mechanics and fine things in the game. The changes to the trait system was really confusing me until I got a good explanation. DreamyAbaddon is good people, and I really enjoyed his tutorial. I think I am finally ready for Heart Of Thorns now.

Posted by: Naesyroc.6712

Naesyroc.6712

I got a complete walkthrough from the guy himself! I’m preparing to dive into the game and put these skills to use! WORK IT BRO, make noobs like me better than when we first start! A lengthy explanation of the mechanics of survival will hopefully keep me alive longer than the 2 seconds I did before

Posted by: Xan.7461

Xan.7461

Super helpful after awhile it begins to flow together and really make sense, thank you.

Posted by: alogical.1539

alogical.1539

I think this guide is really useful for new players and explains the basics of this game pretty well. I didn’t feel like I had to keep a game wiki or something on hand while I read it or like I was being talked down to. The videos were especially useful because I’m more of a visual person and while something may make basic sense after you read it you often don’t really understand completely it until you’ve actually seen it happen.

The example in the choosing your build section was especially helpful, maybe adding one or two more for different playstyles to really hammer it in, especially for people who are unable to watch the video for some reason, could be helpful.
The video in question was really well structured and made it clear that there isn’t one right way to play the game, which is most likely the thing players familiar with other MMOs will stumble over, so that’s pretty great.

Posted by: Shift.3781

Shift.3781

This is a guide every new player should read. Since every mmo uses different combat systems, gw2 could be a little overwhelming and hard to get used to. It helped me understand the combat system very well. The videos were great!

(edited by Shift.3781)

Posted by: Iron man.5146

Iron man.5146

I’ve read through guide and watched the important (need to know) videos, I have to say! I’m impressed with how well the author walks you through step by step of basics, like a break down of the trait system, control of the enemie’s situation. I personally liked it very much. Aka Tools of the game/trade when Newbies need to be successed Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Profundus.3179

Profundus.3179

Hey man,

This was a pretty hand guide It’s good to have a system to what you’re doing in stead of just spamming stuff.

Learning how to control the fight really helped to fight harder stuff and the guide itself was pretty extensive so it’s good for anyone, noobs or new to the realm of 80 :P

Well done and thanks for the random help

Posted by: Chuto.2541

Chuto.2541

Thanks a lot with the guide. The chat teaching was great.
I can now truly enjoy my time in GW2.

Posted by: XwingsX.6189

XwingsX.6189

Very helpful, even for veterans to the game. Definitely gets you thinking differently about what you are doing and why. I found it enlightening and I feel it will make me a better player overall.

Posted by: Ubou.1492

Ubou.1492

Nice guide, i playi GW2 during beta and release and now im back, waiting for new content.

Posted by: sam.9145

sam.9145

Great guide, GW2 finally makes sense.

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to make these, seriously easy to understand. Time to practice!

Posted by: Dradge.2460

Dradge.2460

Good guide, OP met up with me in game and talked me through the entire guide.
Feel like I’ve gained a good amount of knowledge about the game in the last couple hours. Would recommend

Posted by: BlackTaurus.5173

BlackTaurus.5173

I have Found this Guide to be helpful and very informative. i like how the skills, and stats and combat system are broken down. i like how the combat system makes the player have to learn how to play their character, instead of just standing in one place button smashing. you have to learn to find the balance between Damage/Control/Support.
This guide is by the best i have found and the most detailed everyone should read this guide if you want to be the best at your class.

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Dreamy, thanks for those videos…I’ve actually passed the link onto some guildies who indicated they were interested in things like this.

I’ve learned a lot from them and really appreciate the “show” and “tell” method to teach. After all, I am one of those visual/kinetic learners….helps to see is in action while trying it out.

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

You dont have a Babysitter to Heal you so you can Feel Safe spamming DPS skills.
You dont have a Babysitter to Tank for you so you can Feel Safe spamming DPS skills.

You are now responsible for yourself and for contributing in your team by
Coordinate “Control” while “Supporting” each other & contributing in dealing “Damage”.

If only druids weren’t dedicated healers… Why anet, why

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Tayna.2419

Tayna.2419

Avoiding damage is brutally difficult for me in this game. I’m going to follow your advice and see how it goes. Thanks!

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Avoiding damage is brutally difficult for me in this game. I’m going to follow your advice and see how it goes. Thanks!

Practice makes perfect. Even if you have a tanky or support build, you should always avoid taking damage. GW2 combat system is technically an active combat system.

Posted by: Malek.7830

Malek.7830

Question for any Rangers out there. How do I use the 3rd great sword ability to run away from foes as apposed to leaping towards them.

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Question for any Rangers out there. How do I use the 3rd great sword ability to run away from foes as apposed to leaping towards them.

I’m not sure what you mean. But I have a video of my Ranger going melee with GreatSowrd and Sword/Dagger.

Check it out here: