Harassment and stalking.

Harassment and stalking.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Aya.7503

Aya.7503

Hello,
Im hoping someone can help me and maybe this will help other people too.
The past 2 months someone has been stalking/harassing me in game. I have tried blocking but it is not helping. This person keeps creating new accounts to follow me and spam me with mail and chat, as well as party invites. I have blocked all these accounts but he just creates more accounts every time.

I have reported him many times and I have summited tickets but they told me they will not help me and all I can do is report him in game. I can no longer play this game because of him and I am out of options on what to do. I do not reply to anything he says, I just block him and try to ignore him in hopes he goes away.

What do people get out of harassing someone in the game? We are here to have fun and play with others. It is very sad that there are people like this who try to ruin it for others. I’m sure he will be reading this post and spam me here too. I no longer feel safe playing gw2.

Has anyone else gone through this? What did you do to resolve this problem?

Harassment and stalking.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

posting like this pretty much validates what they’re doing….. so the more it bothers you, the most they win. You can requesting a change of account name given the extreme circumstances. Also look up possible legal recourse, as it can turn criminal if certain conditions are met.

Harassment and stalking.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Unfortunately, what they get out of it is the pleasure and power they feel when they make someone else feel uncomfortable. I’m sorry that this person is doing this to you. You could try asking support to let you change your account name. Provide your information from your previous support tickets, and reiterate to them how you’re unable to enjoy the game because of the constant spam. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is starting a brand new account; you’d lose your progress and account unlocks, but you’d be able to avoid this person again.

Harassment and stalking.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I have reported him many times and I have summited tickets but they told me they will not help me and all I can do is report him in game. I can no longer play this game because of him and I am out of options on what to do. I do not reply to anything he says, I just block him and try to ignore him in hopes he goes away.

If the response from support states they can not help you can ask for your ticket to be escalated to someone above them. Support for the most part is very good but sometimes you have to ask for your concerns to be reviewed by top level support.

If you can, take screen captures (chat logs etc) and any gather any other other information to provide support to validate your claims.

In the mean time block them, use the report function for anything they do that is against the rules and do not respond at all to what they person is doing in game.

tl;dr Block, report, gather evidence, ask for your ticket to be escalated.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Harassment and stalking.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You do know that if they create new accounts they cant email or whisper you unless they are buying the game every time.

I cant see how a person would be willing to shell out 30 bucks just to keep trying to talk to someone.

Harassment and stalking.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It seems odd the CS Team would say they will not assist you with harassment/stalking. They’ve always indicated, previously, that they take harassment/stalking very seriously.

Perhaps, you could ask for a Server transfer. I would think it would be harder to ‘follow’ you there than it is to a map (though unless one is in a party/squad/guild, it would be hit or miss on finding someone within the map).

You can update your ticket, rather than creating new ones, for better response times.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Harassment and stalking.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

You do know that if they create new accounts they cant email or whisper you unless they are buying the game every time.

I cant see how a person would be willing to shell out 30 bucks just to keep trying to talk to someone.

This. Keep on blocking, it’s unlikely that the stalker will use thousands and thousands of dollars just for new accounts. Not impossible of course, but that’s pretty much all you can do at the moment.

Harassment and stalking.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

This has happened to others. Part of the problem is that if he has added you to his follow list, it is very difficult to escape him. You cannot block yourself from his follow choices and he can see what map you’re in and where.

To others who’ve suggested that a stalker needs to keep buying accounts: not true. I have seen cases like this where a stalker spreads rumors and gets all kinds of people involved to pester and upset his victim. A network of folks wind up mailing, whispering, physically following, and chatting bad things about the victim. In this case, I hope it doesn’t escalate to that.

What you can do: It is not perfect, but set yourself to invisible. On the character login screen, (or in-game) click on the 3-people icon in the upper left screen. Next to your name is a little green square. Click the drop-down menu and change it to the grey square. That way, you do not appear to be online and he can’t tell what map you’re in or where. The downside is that guildies and friends don’t know you’re online, either.

It is also good advice to document as much as you can— screenshots of your stalker’s actions, messages, etc. As JustTrogdor mentioned, ask for a higher level of support from Anet. The more evidence you have, the better.