Help me be a better Thief

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Zacalicious.9410

Zacalicious.9410

I need help, I play as thief and im still really new to gw2 im only a level 41 in pve and im just starting to play pvp. I find it highly difficult to rank up with thief while my friends have far surpassed me in rank. Now dont get me wrong i absolutely love this profession and ive always been the one to be a quick and stealthy character in every other game but i cant seem to master this class and its the first one i started with in gw2, in fact i haven’t even played any other professions. So i was wonder if someone who is a pro thief could show me how they move and fight and stay alive in combat in pve and pvp, I have a mic and a teamspeak and overall im not a squeaker so i wont annoy the crap out of you while your helping me. So if you want to give me some pointers just let me know and ill give you my in game name.
thanks ?

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Youtube if you need help. I would rather go with a warrior if you’re doing pvp. A condition warrior is best for me so it’s up to you.

vvuevv

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

If you want to be a good player overall you need a good knowledge of your class obviously, but also of the other classes. I’m not a great player myself, i’ve bad reflexes, but I know every single attack in this game, with its cooldown, expected damages, effects, radius, as well as traits. That way, you’re not surprised by anything, and you can judge what do doge and what to not dodge. Then it’s a matter of positioning and playing with the opponent’s brain, especially as a thief. That said, your goal in tpvp/spvp is to cap points, and a thief role is to steal unguarded points with its good mobility, and help win teamfights by bursting the squishies, you want to avoid 1v1. There’s a lof ot advices really, start reading around the forums and watch high level streamers to see how they react.

For pve that’s another story, you’re expected to bring blind spam, stealth, single target dps and single target spike, and surviving comes down to knowing the boss mechanics.

Hope this helps, you can pm me here or ingame for further informations.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

If you want to be good at any class, you need to know every option your class has and how to choose options that synergize well. You have to be familiar with every trait and every skill, and create a build where your traits don’t just provide bonuses, they provide cumulative bonuses to certain aspects of your class that make you very, very good at one or two specific things. You also need to know, as oxtred said, how enemies will behave and what to expect in a given area, and learn how to adjust your build to counter whatever you’re up against. Never changing your skills, weapons, or traits is extremely stupid. The game designers have given us the flexibility to swap things out whenever we’re not in combat, so use that to your advantage.

My main character is a thief, and I’ve been playing since the betas. In my experience, the most important part of being a thief is knowing when to attack and when to run, hide, or evade. Time your evades for maximum effect—this takes a lot of practice, but once you get good at it, you’ll save yourself a lot of trouble. I’ve gotten to the point where I can run straight through an area in PVE without attacking anything and dodge virtually every enemy attack without having to look for or listen to cues; I know the timing on projectiles and AI reaction speed so well that I know precisely when to dodge to avoid everything. I would recommend going to an area suited to your current level and fighting single enemies to practice. First, fight the enemy as usual and pay attention to a) the variety of attacks it has and b) the timing of those attacks. Generally, enemies will have 2-3 attacks in PVE, and like us players, their skills have cooldowns. Many enemies use their “big” attack first (like spiders spitting poison or immobilizing webs as soon as they see you, or hyenas delivering a crippling lunge right off the bat). Then they switch to basic melee or ranged attacks, depending on the enemy. It’s important to know what ranges an enemy is capable of. After you’ve analyzed the enemy’s patterns, try getting through a whole fight without getting hit even once. Thieves have the advantage of evades in addition to the dodge ability everyone has, so use them wisely. Also, try using cripple/immobilize and run away while attacking (this is called kiting). The enemy can’t hit you, but you can hit it while you retreat. Finally, know when to use stealth. If nothing else, it’s an excellent “get out of jail free” option for when you’re overwhelmed or need to bypass a group of inconvenient or dangerous enemies. Shadow Refuge is your friend, so you should definitely have a thorough understanding of how it works.

Let me know if you have more specific questions and I will gladly answer them for you.

(edited by Equinox.4968)