Help me choose a profession!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Norah Shepard.3285

Norah Shepard.3285

Alright so I am most definitely not new to the game in any sense. I have a Necro main at 80 that I’ve done basically everything with outside of PvP, and three other 80s, and this ignores the 12 characters I had in GW1 all outfitted with obsidian and the like.

Buuuuut… I’m pretty casual. I literally just play how I feel and do whatever I want even if it’s not truly what the class is supposed to do, so I tend to get my butt handed to me in anything particularly hard in PvE and anything period in PvP. However, I want to start trying to play more seriously, playing to the professions’ (and my own) strengths and meta, so I can more reasonably enjoy WvW. So my question is what do you helpful people think I should play as?

In other PvP type games I usually play a mobile no gimmicks spiker type, like the Scout in TF2, or burst damage based classes in other games. I also really really suck at doing any kind of organized teamwork, instead preferring to just run in and out of any situation I think I can assist with. (I definitely won’t play in groups often if at all.) I also tend to put about 10% thought into what I’m doing at any given moment so anything that requires really complex combos to be effective will be lost on me.

Obviously, this sounds like a description of the thief, but it might also be warrior or mesmer or maybe even engineer, so I just want some second opinions. Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

In WvW, go necro, especially if that’s what you enjoy. WvW is one mode where conditions are actually effective. Find out if your server has a community website. If they do, join it and ask for tips and builds from experienced necros.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: Stangboy.7961

Stangboy.7961

I think based on your description. My opinion would certainly be to play the Warrior or Mesmer. Though the Mesmer MIGHT fall into the “requires really complex combos to be effective” category, depending on how complex you want to go.

Bare in mind that I am not a guy that know everything about the current balance of all the classes and that sort of things.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

You want meta for PvE or for PvP? Roll a Warrior for PvE, I would recommend an Engineer for PvP (it’s my main in pve and pvp) super fun but rather complicated. Necro is king in WvW as long as you roll wells.

Edit: Just to clarify, mesmers are kind of buggy right now so I wouldn’t roll one at all. Some skills that involve clones do zero damage (literally 0 dmg). If you’re only really interested in pve just go warrior, everyone will love you for it, and they’re easy. If you have any interest in Pvp or WvW consider other professions such as the thief or the engineer unless you want to be stuck in the middle of the zerg as a front liner.

(edited by Khyber.2693)