HoT: Miss something or I'm not good enough?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Leonhart.9763

Leonhart.9763

So, I have always been back and forth in GW2, but since the announcement of Path of Fire, i decided to give the game all I’ve got: progressing in the HoT story, completing masteries and so forth. And since I’m a post 80 newbie, I’m kinda lost.

So what’s the problem?
The thing is, in HoT maps and story instances (while i’m soloing), I get my ass kicked by mobs when more than two shows up and the thing I can’t understand is if my equipment is the problem, my build is the problem (wich partially is since I’ve equipped Berserker having only a couple of ability unlocked), or simply I should get better at playing (Smarter use of dodging, more precise timing with skills etc…).

Here’s some screens showing my equipment and build.

Note: All of the Flame Legion armor pieces have the same attributes boosts.

Attachments:

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Since HoT CC has become much more valuable, in fact, everyone should carry one stun or knockdown on any char. Be it in utility, or having it on your weapon.
On my warrior I wield greatsword and hammer, and have Wild Blow and Headbutt in my utility. Headbutt, given, I have more for the adrenaline, but the stun helps.

Secondly, the importance of dodging. Dont. Underestimate. A. Well. Timed. Dodge.
Study your enemies, practice makes perfect. Know which attacks are gonna hurt you most. They usually have slow or big animations.

These are two quick tips I can give, but most just stems from practice makes perfect

Also, make sure your equipment and abilities line up. i choose raw power, supported with my ability to dodge and stun enemies. Do you use raw power, quick attacks, conditions, slow manipulative combat, make sure your runes, utulity skills and traits support that playstyle, no playstyle is bad, as long as its not little bits of everything.

Leonhart.9763

Thanks for the quick response! I’ll try following your advices.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Beserker equipment is for what’s commonly known as glass cannon builds. Which is exactly what it sounds like – you’ll hit like a cannon but shatter like glass if you get hit.

(Well, not exactly what it sounds like because a real glass cannon would quite likely explode on being fired, destroying itself and doing at least as much damage around itself as at the point of impact.)

It can be an extremely effective high DPS playstyle but its much more difficult to play because it relies entirely on active defense – not getting hit rather than surviving a hit. In HoT that’s even harder to do because many enemies hit harder and faster and are more difficult to avoid (like pocket raptors, who are themselves tiny clouds of infuriating glass cannons) or have skills which will knock down, root or otherwise disable you.

So equipment that adds some toughness (armour) or vitality (health) would be helpful. You’ll do slightly less damage but it also allows more room for error because you can survive more which gives you more time to recover, learn to handle that enemy and deal damage.

Another thing which will help a lot is to take your time – don’t pull too many mobs at once, ideally plan ahead – if you can see some mordrem coming or an arrowhead in front of you or whatever stop and fight whatever is chasing you where you are, then move on so you’re not overwhelmed.

And get to know each kind of enemy – a lot of them have specific mechanics which require them to be fought in a particular way. For example pocket raptors are individually weak but they’re tiny and hard to target and always come in groups and hit very hard so trying to take them out one at a time is a bad idea – you’re better off using AoE attacks to hit them all together, and if possible stunning or rooting them in the process. Whereas Smokescales are almost immune to direct damage because they’re so hard to hit so it’s better to focus on applying conditions.

The mordrem guard often use trinity mechanics – they’ll have a healer who is weak but can keep the others alive an annoyingly long time, 1 or more DPS units like snipers or stalkers and tanks like punishers who don’t do as much damage but get into melee range to draw your attention and use knockdowns, AoE that forces you to move and other ‘control’ effects. Which means you probably want to take out the healer first, then the DPS while avoiding the tank.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Leonhart.9763

Thanks! That’s also really helpful!

Leonhart.9763

Beserker equipment is for what’s commonly known as glass cannon builds. Which is exactly what it sounds like – you’ll hit like a cannon but shatter like glass if you get hit.

(Well, not exactly what it sounds like because a real glass cannon would quite likely explode on being fired, destroying itself and doing at least as much damage around itself as at the point of impact.)

It can be an extremely effective high DPS playstyle but its much more difficult to play because it relies entirely on active defense – not getting hit rather than surviving a hit. In HoT that’s even harder to do because many enemies hit harder and faster and are more difficult to avoid (like pocket raptors, who are themselves tiny clouds of infuriating glass cannons) or have skills which will knock down, root or otherwise disable you.

So equipment that adds some toughness (armour) or vitality (health) would be helpful. You’ll do slightly less damage but it also allows more room for error because you can survive more which gives you more time to recover, learn to handle that enemy and deal damage.

About that, I was thinking (once I manage to get me another set of armor) to go either Marauder (Major: Power, Precision; Minor: Vitality, Ferocity) or Paladin (Major: Power, Precision; Minor: Toughness, Vitality)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Well no wonder you get your ass handed to you mate your playing with waht comes down to 2 out of 3 specelization lines since your berserker line aint fully unlocked.

I would say plop defence or tactics in there and get the use of full 3 lines.

Posted by: Zoria.1392

Zoria.1392

My advice is to hang in there. The longer you play in the HoT maps, the more you get to know your enemies and how to deal with them.

Also, when you are running around alone don’t be afraid to change some to some survival utilities or gear if you have it. You can still kill everything in there without the build/gear you would take to a raid.

Posted by: SunTzu.4513

SunTzu.4513

If u playing on the european megaserver i can offer you some help for story contend and guide you trougth the jungle if you want.

Leonhart.9763

Thanks for all of the advices, I really appreciate it!

Well no wonder you get your ass handed to you mate your playing with waht comes down to 2 out of 3 specelization lines since your berserker line aint fully unlocked.

This is one of the first thing I did after creating this discussion, right now I’m using Tactics, but I’ll see what I can do with Defence.

If u playing on the european megaserver i can offer you some help for story contend and guide you trougth the jungle if you want.

Right now I’m playing on the Fissure of Woe european server.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Hey mate,

One thing stuck out to me, you’re using default keybinds. Having to reach all the way across your keyboard to hit a utility is awkward and slow. So change them so something easier depending on your mouse.

Hit F 11 and then click the mouse icon on the left. Then rebind your keys depending on how many mouse buttons you have.

Edit: it’s possible you are a clicker. Clicking is very slow. Try to get used to keybinds for better performance.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: SunTzu.4513

SunTzu.4513

Thanks for all of the advices, I really appreciate it!

This is one of the first thing I did after creating this discussion, right now I’m using Tactics, but I’ll see what I can do with Defence.

Right now I’m playing on the Fissure of Woe european server.

All rigth, i add you on my fl. See ya ingame.