I'm new to GW2, any tips ?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Trojan.4268

Trojan.4268

Hi, I’m not used to play MMOs, but GW2 impressed me. I’d like to get some tips to don’t suck at the game !
Can anyone help me ? :p
TY

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

When the ogre swings his club, you need to dodge it.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

^^
I think you might need to give some specifics as what types of hints.

However, as a start, I suggest you read the red stickied thread on this forum on hints for new players. Also these videos from BogOtter would also be good to look at. You’re not a boomerang but most of the information in the videos will apply.

Tips for all players: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_dvXJercI
WvW edition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUfV3OBLyc8

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: buckeyecro.9614

buckeyecro.9614

My advice is if you get stuck, have questions while in game, or want to join a guild go to Lion’s Arch and ask a question in map chat (use /m).

How to get to Lion’s Arch (LA):
It depends on starting zone, but the general idea is to go to your starting city and go to the purple circle on the map to transport there. The green star on your map will get you back to your starting zone or you can look for the NPC’s (computer controlled characters) near the gates that are the same race as your character.

The official wiki has been extremely helpful to me, too.

Yes, dodging is a crucial part of surviving in combat.
Watching your surroundings is important, too.
The combat is generally more about avoidance and location than about taking the hits.

Edit: feel free to pm me on the forums if you have questions

Sanctum of Rall NA Engineer Commander

Guild Wars 2 needs a Public Beta Environment

(edited by buckeyecro.9614)

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

My tip is to don’t listen to kittens like this one ^.

Another tip is that you need to run around and dodge while fighting, the most fun experience of leveling up is doing map completion and every event you come across unless it’s a “GROUP EVENT”, fill hearts and buy weapons and armor from those heart vendors. With this you should be able to have fun just fine.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

My tip is to don’t listen to kittens like this one ^

Seconding, along with the tip to avoid the forums as much as you can. They’re full of whining and sheeple. Play what you like, how you like, and judge things for yourself.

If it’s all right, I’ll repost a post I made for a similar question.

This was in response to a person asking how GW2 compared to SWTOR, but I feel a good amount of the information is still relevant:

I have not played SWTOR, but going on what I hear, the cash shop in GW2 is not like SWTOR’s. The stuff in the cash shop is cosmetic, fluff (toys and extra dance emotes), or convenience/luxury (extra character slots and bag slots). The most “needed” things in the cash shop are Transmutation Crystals, which are used to copy the looks of one level 80 gear to the stats of another, but this serves only a cosmetic purpose and does not give you an advantage over other players. In addition, if you don’t want to spend actual money, you can convert in-game gold to cash shop currency and buy what you want that way.

The combat in GW2 is extremely active. You can move while attacking and dodge roll to avoid all incoming attacks- not only can you do this, you should do this. Many skills do more than damage and can be used to buff allies, debuff enemies, or counter/block incoming attacks. Standing still and spamming stuff without paying attention gets you killed quickly in harder content, as you MUST avoid the big attacks (and the smaller ones as well if you build glassy).

Your effectiveness as a player is dependent on how well you play, not on your gear. No matter how good your gear is, you will get killed if you play poorly. Good gear makes things easier and faster, but it doesn’t carry you like in other games. It is also relatively easy to gear up- exotics (second-highest tier gear) can be gotten quickly through a variety of methods and is enough for 99.9% of the game. Ascended (top tier) takes longer to get, but is only marginally more powerful and meant more as a way to round out a character than as a requirement- if you want to opt out of Ascended gear, you’ll be perfectly fine. You can also run around in rares (third-highest tier gear) and do fine as well as long as you’re a skilled and aware player.

There is also no healer/tank/DPS trinity. There are no dedicated healers- every class has self-heals, and though some can heal other party members, those party heals are weak and cannot save a sloppy player. There is no way to control aggro- mobs will aggro one person, then the next, or even fixate on one random person with no rhyme or reason. Every class has their ways of surviving aggro, every class has a way to support teammates, and every class can bring damage to the table while doing so. Every person in a team is responsible for keeping themselves alive while supporting each other and damaging an enemy.

There is no kill/node stealing. Everyone who helps kill a mob gets equal exp and their own set of drops. Everyone has their own personal copy of the same resource node. In dungeons, everyone gets their own set of loot from bosses and chests, as well as dungeon tokens to trade in for the gear they want.

Like with every game, there’s elitism, trolling, and immaturity, but GW2 has a generally friendly and helpful playerbase. I can’t say their names, but there were servers that were chosen by Something Awful and 4chan to be their hubs; I’d recommend steering clear of those, and also either running dungeons only with people you know, or putting your own postings up in LFG, stating that you’re new and looking to learn. Otherwise, people are generally pretty nice.

If you have questions in-game, you can PM me anytime by typing /tell Falunel in chat. Welcome to Tyria!

Here’s the rest of that thread, has some good stuff: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1ob2fi/caved_in_and_bought_the_game/

Another thing- the journey to 80 is supposed to be a journey, not a rush or an obstacle. There’s a lot of content to see while leveling in the open world- you’ll be rewarded for exploring, and you might encounter some hidden events or interesting dialogues. You’re also free to level in any zone at or below your level thanks to downscaling. Don’t rush to 80- enjoy the process.

And reemphasizing: do what you want in the game. Get Ascended gear if you want to, go higher in Fractals if you want to. Neither are required. If you’d rather continue to explore, go ahead! If you’d rather hang around Queensdale and chat up new players, go ahead. If you want to play hardcore, min/max, and clear everything in the shortest time, go ahead. If you want to do laid-back runs and play casually, go ahead.

Rest of the thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/WoW-player-coming-to-GW2/first

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

When the ogre swings his club, you need to dodge it.

Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn. – Better Off Dead

This link is full of useful bits of info

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players

The wiki is also full of knowledge

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

The game isn’t about leveling to max as fast as possible or going for best in slot equipment. It’s about encouraging coop game play and exploration. Just about every activity under the sun gives you XP. Helping others is encouraged. There aren’t any formal quest chains except the personal story. Just start exploring. Things you can do will pop up from time to time on the right hand side of the screen. Doing them is entirely up to you.

Visit and explore all six major cities. You are safe in cities unless you fall from upon high. If you are bored in your race’s starting zone travel try another race’s.

And do avoid the red circles. Or ogre’s clubs.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

My tip is to don’t listen to kittens like this one ^

Seconding, along with the tip to avoid the forums as much as you can. They’re full of whining and sheeple. Play what you like, how you like, and judge things for yourself.

If it’s all right, I’ll repost a post I made for a similar question.

Following the /bugs/ and current LS release sections are useful for keeping track of … well potentially annoying bugs. Devtracker is also useful for that and some other things.

Also feel free to make an engineer, mine is 415 days old. While I haven’t loved it from day one. It is one of my most played characters now, I would recommend skipping the turrets.

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Honestly, my biggest tip is have patience.

Don’t be tempted to buy gems for gold. It can seem hard at first, but you’ll hit a point where things start coming quite easy. After a while, you’ll have more “Stuff” than you can deal with.