Just got back and I'm so confused!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

Hi there, folks,

I bought heart of thorns shortly after it came out, played for maybe a week, and then got busy and stopped.

I just got back and I have no idea what’s going on. I have a glider but can’t really interact with much of the world to use it. I have a story quest but I can’t progress because my glider doesn’t do what it needs to. I’ve tried doing events but I get just wrecked in the fights.

I assume my build is awful (I’m a warrior) and my gear is trash. I could really use some advice on a) how to get some new gear, and b) what would be a fairly good defensive build for a warrior. I don’t need to kill fast, I’d rather feel safe when I engage in any given fight.

Thanks!

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

Posted by: Zoria.1392

Zoria.1392

The events are probably empty right now because it is a demo weekend this weekend and next. Try those during the week or look in the Looking for Group tab, open world for the HoT zones. The meta events are still being done that can grant a lot of experience.

There are some mastery points you can get yourself, without a group. Look in your achievements tab, under HoT and story to find anything with green symbols. Some you just need to find locations and interact with them. Some are strong boxes. Others you get from doing an entire chain of events or from story achievements and the Mini games marked on maps with white icons.

Posted by: Sifu.9745

Sifu.9745

If you have at least 30 – 40 gold you can get almost full Exotic gear/Weapon set from Trading Post. Exotic is the best gear you can get that way in just a 10 – 20 minutes. That’s by far the fastest way. Ascended and Legendary: you need to work very hard to get it, but there is no need to do it, because the difference in stats between Exotic and Ascended gear/weapons is maybe 3% – 5% only.
If you don’t have gold you can easily get 2 gold per day for just completing a daily: PvP victory, for example, or WvW or pve.

Warrior is a very safe option for open world, so you don’t need much defensive stats. You can add some Vitality or Toughness if you don’t feel comfortable enough and that’s it. Axe/x + GS for Power Warrior or Sword/x + LB for condi Warrior.

If you really want to be that though guy you can equip Mace/Shield + LB or Rifle to be safe from distance when needed (events):)

Edit: this is about lvl 80, right?

(edited by Sifu.9745)

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

This is level 80. Thanks for the replies so far.

I went to the trading post and typed in exotic, and the only thing that comes up is recipes for a box of draconic armor.

I compared what I have on (Berserkers it seems to be called) to what’s available and it’s not as awful as I suspected, but I’m not sure how to progress.

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Berserker still works fine for most things.

Posted by: Sifu.9745

Sifu.9745

This is level 80. Thanks for the replies so far.

I went to the trading post and typed in exotic.

Don’t type in Exotic. Don’t type anything: open Trading Post > choose Buy Armor or Buy Weapons > choose which type of armor or weapon would you like to check up (for example Chest, Amulets, Mace …) > set to lvl 80 – 0 > take a time :P

But choose wisely: be sure that you always take the cheapest piece of gear/weapon. For example: You can get exotic berserker(or carrion or marauder or whatever stats you are looking for) Boots for 1 gold or less and you can get exotic berserker boots for 45 gold, just because they have a “better” look lol. I always buy the cheapest version and if i don’t like how it looks like i can change that almost for free anyway.
You can also buy some gear with berserker stats and some with marauder (or whatever you want) if you need more survivability.
Sorry for English …

(edited by Sifu.9745)

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Ok, I think what happened with the glider is that you did not properly unlock it. It needs both a full bar of XP and a mastery point before you can fully unlock it.

It sounds like you already have decent gear if you have Bezerker gear. Mouse over your gear to see if it’s level 80 gear and if it’s labelled ‘exotic’ in the tooltip. Exotic gear is golden, rare is yellow. Green and blue would be trash.

What you are probably experiencing is the higher difficulty in HoT maps. Bezerker is full glass cannon, and those mobs will one or two shot you if you don’t actively mitigate through positioning, using skills, traits and dodges.

Post your build here and we can help you suss that out.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA