Level 80 Boost Trial Question On Gear

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Ayumi Spender.1082

Ayumi Spender.1082

I’ve heard mention that there’s a way to be able to get the level 80 mentor NPC to give me other weapons that he starts me off with to try out other weapons on the class.

The problem is… how do I even do that? I don’t see an option or a way to let’s say make him give me a short bow on Ranger, or Pistols on a Thief and so on and so forth.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This may be informational: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbMbGG1lOU (Official ArenaNet L80 Boost video) The information you seek should be at about 1:30 into the video.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Ayumi Spender.1082

Um… no it’s not as that’s the same video I saw before.
The only thing he sells me is the stuff I started off with if I accidentally got rid of the equipment during the trial.

Like right now I’m on Ranger and all I see from him when I pick “I need equipment” is:
Soldier’s Green Wood Harpoon Gun
Soldier’s Bronze Greatsword
Soldier’s Bronze Spear
Soldier’s Green Wood Longbow

There is no other weapon that Ranger can use that he sells to me.
How do I get the other weapons that Ranger can use?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Buy one? From a vendor or the TP? From drops?

Good luck.

Ayumi Spender.1082

So he doesn’t give me items to actually test out then.
Would also like that “From a vendor or the TP” isn’t in the 1:30 video.

So if you don’t know, I don’t see why you’re trying to answer my question.

(edited by Ayumi Spender.1082)

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

It sounds like you heard that demo characters, those which players could make during the Heart of Thorns demo or the Path of Fire demo could select from a bunch of stat sets and try out all weapon types for their class. These events were done on temporary characters, and are different from the Level-80 Boost experience which you have.

You’ll actually get to keep those items that you’re given, and keep any further (and hopefully more useful) items that you find while exploring that map.

G R E E N E R

(edited by Greener.6204)

Ayumi Spender.1082

It sounds like you heard that demo characters, those which players could make during the Heart of Thorns demo or the Path of Fire demo could select from a bunch of stat sets and try out all weapon types for their class. These events were done on temporary characters, and are different from the Level-80 Boost experience which you have.

You’ll actually get to keep those items that you’re given, and keep any further (and hopefully more useful) items that you find while exploring that map.

That wasn’t what I was referring to. I knew about the PoF demo weekends and did some testing on them but not fully, especially when it was stuck on the PVP and WVW maps only.
Before those trial weekends I had gotten my level 80 boost already and decided to try out before those trials that I heard you can try out the class and weapons on it.
I saw no way of doing it during then, then heard there might be a way to do that once again but the person did not tell me how which is why I came to making this topic as I’m not getting how I get to try out the weapons or not from the guy offering them or not.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If the NPC doesn’t offer weapons from the additional tabs, then you will have to get them from loot drops, buy them from the TP, or buy them from other NPCs and pass them through Shared Inventory Slots or other means.

Good luck.

Ayumi Spender.1082

So it’s not worthwhile to really level 80 boost to try things out and just level it gradually from 1 to 80 to see if I like the profession. Thanks anyway.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

Tbh you’d be throwing the gear out anyway, it’s soldier’s stats. If you wanna try the profession out, go to PvP.

Ayumi Spender.1082

Tbh you’d be throwing the gear out anyway, it’s soldier’s stats. If you wanna try the profession out, go to PvP.

I know. That’s why just wasting money to simply try it out doesn’t seem like a good idea.
Does the PVP area have a good spot to simply test all the weapons and skills out that isn’t against a player?

Also if I recall you only unlock PVP after a certain level.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You would not be throwing out the gear you acquired/purchased if it was not Soldier’s gear.

The PvP icon unlocks at Level 3.

Good luck.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Does the PVP area have a good spot to simply test all the weapons and skills out that isn’t against a player?

You mean like all the practice golems and NPCs spread around the combat area of the PvP lobby?

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

As far as I know (never really spent much time in PvP), there should be a bunch of NPCs -
Golems of all possible hitbox sizes and armor ratings, good to test your rotation. There should even be one area with a massive amount of golems in one place to test AoE skills.
Class-specific NPCs that use similar skills as players.
Map NPCs from Forest of Niflhel.
Possibly some other NPCs from other maps.

That should give you plenty of space to test out your build and overall feel of the character. There is also an option to purchase (for like a silver) any white weapon if you don’t happen to have it in your inventory. Stats are all compacted into an amulet, allowing you to switch them easily. You won’t have the same amount as in PvE, but it’s close enough. Sigils and runes similar, except PvP has some different ones to PvE. Again, shouldn’t be too much of a problem, you can usually find a very similar alternative. Also if I recall correctly, you obtain elite spec in PvP without doing anything (provided you own the expansion), whereas in PvE you have to earn it, making PvP much better place to test it out.