Mastery Points i am confused.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: hedich.4283

hedich.4283

Hello, i am currently level 80 with 79 mastery points.

It feels like i just hit a wall and the “flow” of the game just stopped, my mastery rank (tyria) are capped and have been capped for a long time now because i have no points to level them up with, i really like going around and doing open world stuff but now that i am capped i see no reason at all to do them, it’s quite the opposite it feels like i am wasting so much xp doing them with me being capped and no system in place to “overlap” xp until i get my next mastery point.

Am i at the point of the game where i have to dig deep into achievements and get points from there? am i being forced to do content i do not like doing so i can then do the content i like and find fun?

The excitement i used to have a week or so ago when logging in to the game is starting to go away .

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Have you looked at where you can get mastery points from?

A lot of them come from open world stuff like defeating open-world bosses, finding hidden things like the coins in Drytop and Silverwastes and completing jumping puzzles. A lot of others come from stuff which is quite straight-forward, so even if it’s not content you enjoy you should be able to get through it quickly, like doing the personal story on multiple characters.

They also recently added a bunch of Central Tyria mastery insights – you literally just have to find a spot on the map and you get a mastery point.

You probably will have to do some of the ones from other content if you want to completely train up all the mastery lines. But then you may not need them all. For example if you’re not doing Fractals you’ll miss out on a lot of mastery points, but can also skip putting points into the Fractals line because it has no use outside of the one dungeon.

Alternatively if it’s just about doing content which gives you XP you can use the expansion is coming in 3 weeks and that has a whole load of new maps, with new mastery lines and mastery points to go along with it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just a quick note: Doing the Personal Story on multiple characters offers no additional Mastery Points. One run-through of the PS is all that is needed, as the Personal Story only offers 8 Mastery Points, one for each Level Arc, regardless of the Race.

Here is a list of Mastery Point Unlocks: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Good luck.

Danikat.8537

Oh, I thought they matched the achievements so you got mastery points for doing the different race and order stories.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, it’s just one MP per Level Arc. Eight, and only 8, total MPs from the PS.

hedich.4283

Have you looked at where you can get mastery points from?

A lot of them come from open world stuff like defeating open-world bosses, finding hidden things like the coins in Drytop and Silverwastes and completing jumping puzzles. A lot of others come from stuff which is quite straight-forward, so even if it’s not content you enjoy you should be able to get through it quickly, like doing the personal story on multiple characters.

They also recently added a bunch of Central Tyria mastery insights – you literally just have to find a spot on the map and you get a mastery point.

You probably will have to do some of the ones from other content if you want to completely train up all the mastery lines. But then you may not need them all. For example if you’re not doing Fractals you’ll miss out on a lot of mastery points, but can also skip putting points into the Fractals line because it has no use outside of the one dungeon.

Alternatively if it’s just about doing content which gives you XP you can use the expansion is coming in 3 weeks and that has a whole load of new maps, with new mastery lines and mastery points to go along with it.

yeah i am going to skip the fractal mastery for now, i have no need for them good point. It just feels awkward to do open world things and get zero xp and no real reward from it except for % on world complete.

Think i am just going to go on and work on Map completion % until the new expansion comes out just to have it done on one character., if i happen to get some mastery points that will just be a bonus, need to get my head out of the mindset that i need that xp bar to turn yellow hehe.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

They dropped roll over rewards, because they were piling up in spades with nothing to spend them on. The replacement, spirit shards, can be had by other means…. but unless you’re an avid crafter, theres really nothing worthwhile to spend them on.

The switch to mastery unlocks was an active attempt to steer away from effortless accumulation, and would had been dead stop if it wasn’t for roll over rewards being psychologically entrenched in the player base’s mind set.

While it also bugs me knowing the roll over rewards stop…. if you aren’t doing achievement hunting, the vast majority of masteries aren’t useful to players. Theres only 4 specific masteries in HoT that “required” to move forward in the story, while the rest exist to make access to certain achievement tasks possible. Even considering its usefulness, Ley-line gliding isn’t required for any of the LS3 maps. Lava tubes are the same way.

The whole point here is that you might want to rethink your attachment to rewards cycles, if you aren’t a completionist at heart. More over…… the worst its really doing is “coaxing” you do other content; because other then Gift of Battle, the minimum investment for cross-mode reward requirements are incredibly shallow. If you can’t be kitten d to spend a whole 30 minutes doing something new, even to just get it out of the way….. then its not worth your time to be obsessing over.

To unlock the Raid track all you have to do is be part of a Boss kill. All that really takes is some social networking to find a group who would be willing to carry you to get it out of the way, and you’ll never have to do another HOT raid again. You can literally train the tracks using any HoT mastery points, and exp gathered while in any HoT (or LS3) map to progress it.

This whole thing bugged me at first….. until I realized how fast spirit shards were piling up anyway. I’m also not adverse to the Raids….. in fact, I find most of their designs should had been more baseline for open world (and kind of are with the LS3 world bosses). Its the attitude of the Raid community that kills my incentive to PUG it. Its a huge shame, because the raids are actually very fun, when someone isn’t throwing a tantrum because the speed clear isn’t carrying them hard enough..

hedich.4283

They dropped roll over rewards, because they were piling up in spades with nothing to spend them on. The replacement, spirit shards, can be had by other means…. but unless you’re an avid crafter, theres really nothing worthwhile to spend them on.

The switch to mastery unlocks was an active attempt to steer away from effortless accumulation, and would had been dead stop if it wasn’t for roll over rewards being psychologically entrenched in the player base’s mind set.

While it also bugs me knowing the roll over rewards stop…. if you aren’t doing achievement hunting, the vast majority of masteries aren’t useful to players. Theres only 4 specific masteries in HoT that “required” to move forward in the story, while the rest exist to make access to certain achievement tasks possible. Even considering its usefulness, Ley-line gliding isn’t required for any of the LS3 maps. Lava tubes are the same way.

The whole point here is that you might want to rethink your attachment to rewards cycles, if you aren’t a completionist at heart. More over…… the worst its really doing is “coaxing” you do other content; because other then Gift of Battle, the minimum investment for cross-mode reward requirements are incredibly shallow. If you can’t be kitten d to spend a whole 30 minutes doing something new, even to just get it out of the way….. then its not worth your time to be obsessing over.

To unlock the Raid track all you have to do is be part of a Boss kill. All that really takes is some social networking to find a group who would be willing to carry you to get it out of the way, and you’ll never have to do another HOT raid again. You can literally train the tracks using any HoT mastery points, and exp gathered while in any HoT (or LS3) map to progress it.

This whole thing bugged me at first….. until I realized how fast spirit shards were piling up anyway. I’m also not adverse to the Raids….. in fact, I find most of their designs should had been more baseline for open world (and kind of are with the LS3 world bosses). Its the attitude of the Raid community that kills my incentive to PUG it. Its a huge shame, because the raids are actually very fun, when someone isn’t throwing a tantrum because the speed clear isn’t carrying them hard enough..

Makes sense, thanks for the input, made me re think the game a bit. I am a completionist i like to finish things up but i find it a bit tedious to have to research achievements on the internet to have any clue on whats going on.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Look through your achievment list in game – everywhere there is a red mastery symbol there is something that give a mastery point.

Major World Bosses often offer a point each – Triple Trouble offers 4 total. LW2 offers a bunch, and as was noted they recently added 9 new Mastery Insights to core – just find and commune.

They’ll take a fair amount of work, but it’s varied work. I’ll likely not max it out because I basically don’t do Fractals more than my precursor crafting requires, but that also means the Fractal mastery is pretty much pointless to me. I’ve still gotten points enough to start it.

Attitude/outlook also affects things – while it’s fun getting XP, it really doesn’t bother me a bit when I don’t. Given how many Spirit Shards we get from just playing, that extra one from “levelling” with completed masteries feels completely inconsequential.

Danikat.8537

That’s a good point too – once you’ve completed all the masteries the only thing you get for your XP is 1 spirit shard per ‘level’.

It maintains the illusion of progression in that the bar along the bottom of the screen will keep filling and resetting, but you don’t really get anything from it. Unless you’re crafting a lot of rare skins you’ll get more than enough spirit shards from other places.