Most consistently impactful class?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

I always like to be useful. In other games, I do this by going with the most versatile class, where I can switch off between damage, tanking, support, and control on-the-fly. With GW2, though, it’s hard to figure out which class qualifies for that. X) Engineer and Elementalist are touted as the masters of versatility, but I’m not so sure they really can handle the various roles that might need to be filled in dungeons, Fractals, open world, raids (which I’ve yet to partake in), WvW, etc.

So, basically, which classes are always welcome in some capacity? Ranger seems somewhat promising, with its high-end support setups via Druid, considerable durability when built for it, and-… Deeecentish damage? I dunno where they rank on that, admittedly. Not sure about their control potential, either.

Elementalist certainly has the damage. I know it can put out some nice healing, but I’m not sure how useful that actually is. And then durability, with low HP and the lowest armor class, doesn’t seem very promising. I’m not sure how they rate in regards to control, either.

Engineer’s got damage, and I know it can be pretty durable as well. And their crowd control abilities are top notch. Not sure how it fares on support, though, compared to other classes. I know Healing Turret puts out some decent group healing, and Sneak and Bulwark Gyros can help the team survive, but do they bring anything else to the table that people might want for their groups?

Revenant kinda seems promising, though I’m quite unfamiliar with them overall. Heavy armor and multiple lifesteals seem good for durability, and Herald and Ventari look like they’d be quite good at team support. Are these assumptions correct? How do they do at damage or control?

Would anything else be a contender in this venture? Guardian, Necromancer? I’d love to be told that Thief would work, as I adore that speed, but as far as I can tell, they’ve got just about jack-squat in the support department.

So, anyone with more understanding of group content and what’s “acceptable”, please bequeath upon me your knowledge! X)

The class is always greener on the other side.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Warrior. It’s been the most consistent profession in GW2’s history. Very rarely is it out of meta in any game mode.

Toolbox.9375

Warrior. It’s been the most consistent profession in GW2’s history. Very rarely is it out of meta in any game mode.

Really? o.o Is it just for their damage, or can they provide good support?

Fluffball.8307

Banners and Phalanx Strength are staples of group support. They also have good damage. And you can trust a total noob to play a warrior well since they’re so simple. Really warriors have excelled at nearly everything since launch.

Toolbox.9375

Banners and Phalanx Strength are staples of group support. They also have good damage. And you can trust a total noob to play a warrior well since they’re so simple. Really warriors have excelled at nearly everything since launch.

Huh! I’ll be honest, Warrior didn’t even cross my mind because I knew their team-healing was really low. Hadn’t thought of the OTHER aspects of support. X) Thanks for the suggestion!

Fluffball.8307

They’re meta in all 3 modes right now, but I was also thinking of past builds. They infamous cele shoutbow build in PvP was one of the top 5 PvP builds of all time, the infamous WvW hammer train, the infamous CoF speed clear build, etc.

Warrior = GW1 and GW2.

Toolbox.9375

I’ll certainly check one out. Though, I always love getting more information, so if anyone else has something to add, it’d be greatly appreciated! ^^ Especially if I’m wrong regarding Thief’s support/control/durability potential. X)

(edited by Toolbox.9375)

Fluffball.8307

Thief has pretty much zero group support other than stealth for dungeon runs, which are semi-obsolete.

Posted by: Nordom.3485

Nordom.3485

Imo it’s like :
for wvw : guardian
for raids : mesmer,warrior,druid
for dungeons: thief
fractals : engi
and open world I’m not sure how you measure your impact since it’s spamfest and generally not-so-challenging so I’d roll with whatever I like playing (personally i’d roll engi again cause stealth,tanky,more dodges and cc)

(edited by Nordom.3485)

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

I’m pretty sure this guy is trolling lol he’s made at least 1 similar post to this previously and he’s always like “warrior is the only solution to any profession question” since he’s literally said something along those lines before.

Also I can agree that warriors are easy to play and that any total noob can play one competently, but ask yourself if that’s the case do you really want to limit yourself to playing a class that requires zero skill as he implies? It seems like honestly there are more players that have warrior in exclusion to any other class. As a direct result of this, most raid groups that post asking for PS warrior get one within the min, since its brain-dead and so easy to play. Whereas they post for any other class that requires significantly more skill and minimal room for error, such as chrono, ele, druid – then yeah those roles take much longer to fill.

It goes without saying, you don’t want to limit yourself to an easy, boring class when there are so many better options out there. It seems like you would make a competent player therefore you ought to take on a class more your caliber, like say chrono, ele, even necro. Even a guardian outputs way more dps than your average PS warrior and is just as useful in other game modes like pvp .. therefore do not ever limit yourself!

Chrono is not as strong in dps, but they have excellent group support and can provide tons of excellent boons like quickness and alacrity and help reflect hits or pull mobs together as needed. They make excellent tanks or support, even a condi build that’s being put together for them. Most raid groups nowadays require 2 chrono minimum, or at least they will soon.

Ele can play a variety of roles, dps, support (sustained but lower heal than druid), as well as condi. Yes they are more susceptible to dmg but usually this is compensated with a ranged wep like staff that provides defensive capabilities as well as being safe from melee-punishing mechanics that are a large part of fractals, for example. Besides which, once u figure out the ins and outs of the class u can certainly become better at surviving and mitigating dmg, at times even better than a heavy class like warrior! This class requires the highest amt of skill out of any other one imo so be prepared to work hard, the rewards are certainly worth it.

Again, feel free to try out diff classes to find one that meshes with your playstyle the most. It’s never a good idea to base ur choice of class on which is meta atm, as meta is always changing and classes dropping in/out of favor.. for example, necro at one point was so despised for pve they were outright kicked from groups sometimes, whereas now u see posts for 5 necro groups in high lvl fractals all the time. I will tell u honestly I feel handicapped as a warrior because at any one point my group can easily kick me and replace me with another in the matter of a heartbeat, as well in most raid bosses you only need to stack 1 warrior in a 10man group and easily 3-5x as many eles by comparison. These groups are used to doing this for a reason, it’s not hard to imagine why that is. Anyway hope this post was helpful to u

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Fluffball.8307

I’m pretty sure this guy is trolling lol

Ah the classic “someone said something I disagree with so he’s a troll”. Nice post, thanks for contributing.

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

I’m pretty sure this guy is trolling lol

Ah the classic “someone said something I disagree with so he’s a troll”. Nice post, thanks for contributing.

I call you a troll cos u are in fact trolling. Saying ‘warrior is easy so faceroll even a noob can play it, anet loves warriors only’ is considered a troll post to me, esp when you’ve made that comment twice (that I know of) on profession related questions. I highly doubt ur main is even a warrior.. therefore I view it as a passive-aggressive way of calling attention to the class u perceive as imba or unbalanced. Tell me I’m wrong and that u do main warrior

Arun Kar

Fluffball.8307

I never said it was “imba” I said it’s easy and has been in the meta for all game modes for years, including the new raids. Stop saying, “troll”, it’s such a juvenile cop out.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Hmm … the answer changes at the same frequency as balance patches.

Toolbox.9375

I didn’t want to cause a quarrel… ;-;

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I didn’t want to cause a quarrel… ;-;

Then you might want to avoid asking questions without real answers.