New! A class to start with? Also...Any RP?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Jazzy.4173

Jazzy.4173

Q:

Hello! I’m very new to GW, never played 1 and I have just bought 2 today (downloading now, takes an awful long time!) and I just had some noob questions.

From what I’ve seen in gameplay videos…I’m very drawn towards the thief..but I’ve read that is for more experienced players..I also like mesmer, but I’ve heard the same thing. I love to PvP, dunno if that makes a difference in a class decision.

I also love to RP! Someone has told me that there are no current RP servers, if that is true, is there a certain normal server that RP exists on?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Fimbulthul.6308

Fimbulthul.6308

The thief is for experienced players? Bah! I personally believe the thief is one of the most versatile and easy charcters to manage (not to mention having some awesome animations). The mesmer is an excellent choice for pvp as well, because when you’re fighting one you can never tell if you’re attacking the original or a mirage.

As for servers, I have no idea :P but I’m looking for an Rp as well, so I’ll post what i find!

I envy you getting to play the game for the first time….xD
-Zed

Necromancers….necromancers and thieves!

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Hello, Jazzy, and welcome!

Thief and mesmer are more advanced classes, yes. However, if they interest you, by all means give them a try. Don’t listen to people saying they’re too hard for newcomers- jump in and find out how they suit you. For my first class, I mained elementalist, a class many people say has the steepest learning curve and is least newbie-friendly. It was rough at first, but I fell utterly in love with it. I still main it to this day and I feel I became a better player overall by starting with a difficult class.

If you have lots of difficulty and get stressed out, warrior, guardian, and ranger are the most forgiving newcomer classes. You can play them for a while to get the hang of the game before moving to other classes. Or if you like them, you can main them. What’s important is that you find a class you love.

As for RP, Tarnished Coast is the unofficial North American RP server, and Piken Square is its EU counterpart.

EDIT: Here are some helpful links:
GW2 Roleplay Hub: http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/
TC Server Forums (mainly used by WvWers, but anyone is welcome, even non-TCers. They’re lovely people): http://tcgw2.com/forums/index.php

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

(edited by Falunel.7645)

Posted by: SunMoonstone.3698

SunMoonstone.3698

Hi and welcome to the community! I actually started out just a month ago and my first class was the mesmer. I actually really enjoyed it, but bouncing around between classes, I was able to find several others I loved as well. Thief is kind of hard, though, I guess it would just depend on your playstyle. Looking at all the forums though, I actually started out on really hard classes, but because I was able to play them well, I didn’t really find them that hard. It all depends on what you play like, though I find I can figure out a class pretty quick.
As for RP… I don’t know, but I’ve heard that Tarnished Coast is a big RP server.
Hope this helps!